• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New OXM (US) Scores / Rumors (Gripshift fans am cry)

pswii60

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 on the cover.

Retail Reviews

Assassin's Creed 8.5/10
Scene it? 8/10
Soldier of Fortune: Payback 4.5/10
Golden compass 6/10
MX vs ATV untamed 5/10
Beowulf 6/10
NCAA 08 March Madness 7/10
College Hoops 2k8 8.5/10
Blacksite: Area 51 6/10

XBLA Reviews

GripShift 5.5/10 (wtf!?)
Screwjumper! 7/10
N+ 7/10

Rumors

Next Ghost Recon game is at least a couple of years away. It won't be carrying the "Advanced Warfighter" title and won't feature an urban setting.

Bethesda's debut online offering will be a launch title for the next Xbox system.

Ubisoft is considering serious changes to Sam Fisher's latest adventure.

pswii60 said:
Bethesda's debut online offering will be a launch title for the next Xbox system.

If that is accurate, then it pretty much confirms a release date of 2010 for the next offering from Microsoft.

pswii60

Opus Angelorum said:
If that is accurate, then it pretty much confirms a release date of 2010 for the next offering from Microsoft.

Well, that would make sense. 2005 for Xbox 360, 5 year cycle, next Xbox 2010.

Nooo :( I liked the Advanced Warfighter setting of Ghost Recon! Never bothered to finish GR2 but loved GRAW1/2.

I do wonder what they said was wrong with Gripshift, although I tend to find the ratings for arcade games is a bit hit and miss at times... i'll see what the demo is like :)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Opus Angelorum said:
Pretty much. Did anyone else thought take longer than that?
I'm really interested in what Bethesda is cooking in the oven though.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
pswii60 said:
GripShift 5.5/10 (wtf!?)
Screwjumper! 7/10
In light of the fact that they gave screwjumper a 7, it's obvious this is the result of another hit and run of someone's dog by Mario Wynands.

Ubisoft is considering serious changes to Sam Fisher's latest adventure.

I heard they have made some serious changes to what we have seen previously, it will be interesting to see the game when it resurfaces for the media in the new year.

pswii60

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy cow, that would sure put a damper on Sony's 10 Year Plan.

Sony have said many times that their 10 year plan doesn't mean a 10 year cycle. It just means that they plan to support the console for 10 years. Not too dissimilar to their continued support for PS2.

tanod

when is my burrito
pswii60 said:
Sony have said many times that their 10 year plan doesn't mean a 10 year cycle. It just means that they plan to support the console for 10 years. Not too dissimilar to their continued support for PS2.

The release of the Wii guarantees Sony 10 years on the PS2 alone. There will never be any lack of new software to release on the PS2.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gripshift has always been getting average/below average reviews for some reason. Reviewers just hate good games apparently.

pswii60 said:

Oh, right. Going from the Xbox to the 360 made me forget you can still do that.

:lol

pswii60

tanod said:
The release of the Wii guarantees Sony 10 years on the PS2 alone. There will never be any lack of new software to release on the PS2.

Wii2 should help out 360 and PS3 then in 2010 :)

Quazar

OXM rumors really don't hold well. In fact I can't recall one semi interesting rumor from OXM that came true.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Opus Angelorum said:

Not a suprise at all. Wii 2 / xbox 720 would be 2010 / 2011 releases. heck maybe even late 2009.

The more I think about this rumor the more amazing it becomes. Basically it's stating that at this point Bethesda could possibly be in maybe pre-pre production for an XBOX "720" game and confirms a 3rd XBOX for like Q4 2010 or very close to around there. That is a monster rumor:lol .

traveler

Not Wario
Hasn't what we've seen of Conviction so far shown quite a departure already? I mean, is this really a rumor?

AltogetherAndrews said:
Hopefully that means a return to the Chaos Theory style

Chaos Theory is my favorite of the four, but I don't think it's different enough to be call its gameplay "CT gameplay." It's simply not that different; it's just a perfect execution of the SC gameplay.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
tanod said:

Here is a list of substantial releases left on the PS2:
- Yakuza 2 US localization
- Nights Remake for JPN
- Twisted Metal Head-on PSP port
- Whatever stuff Atlus / NI / Gust / Vanillaware, etc turns out.

I'm sure you'll get another year or so of PS2-Wii dual platform releases (like Samurai Warriors 2 Heroes), but I can't imagine it'll go much beyond that.

traveler said:
\Hasn't what we've seen of Conviction so far shown quite a departure already? I mean, is this really a rumor?

Chaos Theory is my favorite of the four, but I doesn't really have its own style. It's simply not that different; it's just a perfect execution of the SC gameplay.

The rumor is that Conviction has been scrapped. Someone else mentioned it on this forum earlier.

As for Chaos Theory... I don't know, I think it's still far from perfect, and I hate that it was never allowed to reach that level. Now instead of spending time on things that they will undoubtedly fail at, they should have focused all effort on creating the best possible follow-up to Chaos Theory.

evlcookie said:
Not a suprise at all. Wii 2 / xbox 720 would be 2010 / 2011 releases. heck maybe even late 2009.

Then next-gen can kiss my ass. Not that I think it will happen, but then I also doubt there even will be another Xbox brand game console, so hey.

traveler said:
\Hasn't what we've seen of Conviction so far shown quite a departure already? I mean, is this really a rumor?.

Yeah it seems quite a bit different, but since it's delay it has gone completely under the radar. Not a single-screen, trailer, press release, nothing. Maybe they really are taking Sam back under the knife. Again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, OXM shouldn't be allowed to review XBLA games no more, Screwjumper > Gripshift? Not in any god damned universe.

orio7

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy cow, that would sure put a damper on Sony's 10 Year Plan.

YAHOMGRIGHT!

Or they could not take MS bait a 2nd time and not lose another 5 or so billion dollars.

Sony will go the Wii route.

pswii60

Metalmurphy said:
:lol Dude... there's no way anyone can know that at this time.

Actually, launch titles are often planned far (as in 2-3 years) in advance, even if they don't always end up hitting launch. It's not completely far out. If MS do intend to launch the next Xbox in 2010, they need to be talking to developers NOW.

Also, I reckon MS will make damn sure they're first to the next-gen again. Their year's head start actually paid off for them in the end, even if we couldn't tell until this second year.

No6

gray_fox224 said:
Could we get some scans for Vegas 2?
You should ask repeatedly for someone to PM you the scans, I hear that's the best way to get what you want.

And even if Gripshift is somehow worse than Screwjumper (I haven't played Gripshift), there's no way that N+ is as equally bad as Screwjumper unless N+ sprays acid from the controller every time you die.

In fact, I'll go so far to say that giving Screwjumper a 7 and Space Giraffe a 3, even if Space Giraffe's score is meant to be a "protest" score, is such a wildly insane concept that the fact that it was put to print lends creedence to the notion that the time of the Old Ones is upon us, madness is coming to men, and thus Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

McHuj

pswii60 said:
Actually, launch titles are often planned far (as in 2-3 years) in advance, even if they don't always end up hitting launch. It's not completely far out. If MS do intend to launch the next Xbox in 2010, they need to be talking to developers NOW.

Also, I reckon MS will make damn sure they're first to the next-gen again. Their year's head start actually paid off for them in the end, even if we couldn't tell until this second year.

I bet that time frame would be longer for something like a MMO from a company who hasn't done one on a non existing console.

My guess is MS will try to get launch in 2011, 2010 if pushed. That gives them roughly 4 years to develop an MMO. Which isn't that far fetched if you want it done right.

electricpirate said:
MS would be batshit insane to release another xbox in 2010. Aww well, OXM rumors are nigh worthless
eh, once they release a new console they won't have to deal with RROD (which hopefully won't have a next-gen equivalent). i wouldn't be surprised if microsoft is ready to bail on this generation at all.

tanod

when is my burrito
Stumpokapow said:
Here is a list of substantial releases left on the PS2:
- Yakuza 2 US localization
- Nights Remake for JPN
- Twisted Metal Head-on PSP port
- Whatever stuff Atlus / NI / Gust / Vanillaware, etc turns out.

I'm sure you'll get another year or so of PS2-Wii dual platform releases (like Samurai Warriors 2 Heroes), but I can't imagine it'll go much beyond that.

We've been saying the PS2 was on its way out since early 2006 then there was Black, then there was Bully and Okami, then there was FFXII, then there was God of War 2, then there was Persona 3 and Odin Sphere, now there is "your list here" and Rock Band.

I will not be at all surprised to still be buying PS2 games late next year.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
AltogetherAndrews said:
The rumor is that Conviction has been scrapped. Someone else mentioned it on this forum earlier.

As for Chaos Theory... I don't know, I think it's still far from perfect, and I hate that it was never allowed to reach that level. Now instead of spending time on things that they will undoubtedly fail at, they should have focused all effort on creating the best possible follow-up to Chaos Theory.

Then next-gen can kiss my ass. Not that I think it will happen, but then I also doubt there even will be another Xbox brand game console, so hey.
yes I agree with you. I think the 360 will be MS last game system. Didn't Ms say the 360 was going to last 8 years something like that. I could see MS getting XBL,X box and 360 games working with PC.

Chemo

AltogetherAndrews said:
100% agree, Games for Windows will be their focus post-360.

Top Bottom