• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
You made one very grave oversight.
61qyrGplnGL._SS500_.jpg

Chocobo Tales is AMAZING.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Incredible thread. Reminds me that I still have to play so many DS games :( Hotel Dusk and the Phoenix Wright games are next on my list.

btw only a few posts with pics work for me, rest doesn't show up. DQ IX is the first game with working pics for me. Am I the only one who has this or?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ethelred has a slight preference to RPGs it seems seeing as it's the biggest group of games AND the only one with screenshots posted in the topic. :D But well done anyway!

Also, I think Polarium should be considered for the Puzzle section. I had great fun with that game at the time.

Plus I wouldn't consider Lunar Knights an RPG at all. It's definitely Action Adventure.

Eteric Rice

It's amazing how the DS has turned from a small system everyone thought would die, to something like this.

Definately my favorite handheld ever.

Flakster99 said:
Why the DS rocks - nods. :)

It is my most played system of today, and I don't see that changing in 2008.

AWDoR, Layton, and AJ:AA. I'm set till May, at the least, and mainly because of the first game.

Flakster99

Pureauthor said:
AWDoR, Layton, and AJ:AA. I'm set till May, at the least, and mainly because of the first game.

A great start to the year for DS gaming, absolutely.

I usually wait for Toys R Us 2 for 1 sales' day and by that time, the price for most software that I am interested in have had a price reduction, so it's a REALLY nice double whammy.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Vic said:
need to ask: how's sonic rush adventure?
Awesome! Sega finally managed to add new elements that are... fun. The fast and fun gameplay of Sonic Rush is back again, too, of course.

Wow, awesome thread! This just reminds me how many great DS games there are that I don't own, though. :(

There are probably a few things that could get added, but definitely not much. And great media/links for everything.

Concept17

Great thread - I recently just bought 5 DS games... and am soon going to get... a DS! (gift cert/money issues)

I got Children of Mana, Etrien Oddessey, Rocket Slime, Pheonix Wright, and Sims2 Castaway. (sims2 for the gf... and probly Wright as well, as I doubt I'll like it)

Kintaco

DAMN THIS THREAD! Now I'll have to buy the DS, I was hoping to hold off a bit, but a lot of those games look too good to pass up. The amount of graphic adventure games is awesome.

ethelred

Okay, I think the picture links are fixed. Apologies for the chaos. Hopefully everything'll stay functional for longer than a day this time.

fernoca said:
Here, I'll do it for you: :p

Appreciate the effort, but those images aren't 256x192. Cut 'em down and make it four across and I'll add them in.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Thanks for the thread Ethelred. I don't recall another Q1 where there are so many must buy games for the platform.

Days of Ruin, Professor Layton, Apollo Justice, World Ends with You. Mine!

fernoca

Another one...
PUZZLE

METEOS: DISNEY MAGIC
Developer: Q Entertainment
Publisher: Disney Interactive Studios

• Images and videos
• Reviews

8b3ualh.jpg
6yd2szs.jpg
7xdhhc3.jpg
80ot7w8.jpg

*You hold the DS "like a book" (like Ninja Gaiden DS, Brain Age, etc..)

Jiggy

It's pretty awesome how there are games I technically knew about but never truly caught my interest until they were lined up like this, and then I went and checked media for them and now it's like, "Hmm, Game Center CX; looks pretty awesome. Card Hero? Sign me up. Hey, it's Metal Slug 7--yep, I'm there. Etrian Odyssey 2: hello. And oh yeah, there's The World Ends With You."

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Barnyard Blast

is

missing

(because there are unreleased games on the list)

Thanks for the effort, no more DS games list from now on =D

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
What games would be accessible or appropriate for someone (40-50) who has come to the DS with no gaming background and was interested in the DS almost purely for the "Training" games.

Is ZELDA:pH out of the question?
What about PROFESSOR LAYTON or TRAUMA CENTER?
Are NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD PUZZLE, PICROSS, and WARIO WARE safer beats?

Would appreciate some advice from people who have had to buy games for their own relatives/friends who have no previous gaming experience and probably still have no interest in the types of games that traditionally keep gamers happy.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
MrSardonic said:
What games would be accessible or appropriate for someone (40-50) who has come to the DS with no gaming background and was interested in the DS almost purely for the "Training" games.

Is ZELDA:pH out of the question?
What about PROFESSOR LAYTON or TRAUMA CENTER?
Are NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD PUZZLE, PICROSS, and WARIO WARE safer beats?

Would appreciate some advice from people who have had to buy games for their own relatives/friends who have no previous gaming experience and probably still have no interest in the types of games that traditionally keep gamers happy.

Picross is a must. Trauma Center is too hard even for the hardcore (but should interest the Dr. House or ER croud).
I strongly recommend the Phoenix Wright series.
If he is not interested in gaming, I can not see him liking Zelda too much, although the gameplay is very simple.

ethelred said:
Yeah, by all means, feel free to make recommendations. That's what it's for. If enough people encourage a particular game, I can add that. Though I'm not touching most of Snitch's list. There are cult hits, sure, but games scoring aggregates in the 50's are a little below that threshold.

I will accept a imprisonment in a Turkish dungeon before I add Hoshitgami to anything.

Twice a year? Wouldn't it be easier to just update this thread?

I hope you're not including the Bombermans, Mystery Dungeon (which only gets bad reviews because of its genre), Viewtiful Joe, Drawn to Life, and Rub Rabbits (which is better than FtM in every way) :|

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
Yeah, by all means, feel free to make recommendations. That's what it's for. If enough people encourage a particular game, I can add that. Though I'm not touching most of Snitch's list. There are cult hits, sure, but games scoring aggregates in the 50's are a little below that threshold.

I genuinely do recommend adding The Rub Rabbits!, since it's a superior-in-every-way sequel to Feel the Magic. If its aggregate review core is lower, it'll only be because Feel the Magic's reviews were inflated by launch-itis.

I also recommend Drawn to Life (aggregate was around 73-75 last I checked, Amir0x gave it a 4/5 for Modojo, favourable GAF thread, one of my fav games of the year), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (aggregate review score is around 65 but this is largely due to deflationary pressure on roguelikes in general.), and Mario Party DS (best installment of Mario Party since MP2 for sure and I think that at this point people who don't like Mario Party conceptually will know to avoid it).

My only other suggestion would be to either sort the list alphabetically or reverse chronologically. Alphabetically is probably more useful but chronologically will be better on a go-forward basis because people will clearly see which titles are new to the list.

Doytch

I haven't played my DS much since I finished Zelda, only playing Picross every now and then. What I really want is a WRPG kind of game. Do any exist? The list says Etrian Odyssey is kind of like an old PC RPG...but it doesn't really look like it.

So, any D&D, Planescape, Fallout type games for the DS, or am I stuck waiting for that DS game by Bioware?

Oh, out of the RPG games list, I've played M&L which was fun until the last boss, and Lunar Knights which I got rid of once I started having to screw with the weather.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Doytch said:
I haven't played my DS much since I finished Zelda, only playing Picross every now and then. What I really want is a WRPG kind of game. Do any exist? The list says Etrian Odyssey is kind of like an old PC RPG...but it doesn't really look like it.
I'd say Etrian Odyssey might not be for you. Most WRPGs pride on their story telling, which Etrian Odyssey doesn't have in spades. But if you like a dungeon crawler that is a fun romp then go for it.

dream

Doytch said:

So, any D&D, Planescape, Fallout type games for the DS, or am I stuck waiting for that DS game by Bioware?

When they say Etrian Odyssey is like an old PC RPG, they mean it's more along the lines of Pools of Radiance or Eye Of The Beholder than something like Planescape Torment.

ethelred

Fernoca: Added UMK.

Re: Contact: I myself liked it, but the game was reviewed pretty poorly and the GAF response to the game was overwhelmingly negative.

Doytch said:
What I really want is a WRPG kind of game. Do any exist? The list says Etrian Odyssey is kind of like an old PC RPG...but it doesn't really look like it.

Etrian Odyssey is, as has been mentioned, more inspired by stuff like Wizardry than Planescape or Fallout. It's got a lot of dungeon crawling, a lot of loot acquisition, and it's pretty damned hardcore. I disagree with speedpop when he says it doesn't have a good story, though. It does. It just takes a while to kick in.

BioWare's Sonic RPG is actually supposed to be more influenced by Japanese RPGs than their normal stuff, but that still will probably have enough of the traditional BioWare elements to interest you. Other than that... I guess your best hope would be to keep your fingers crossed that Strategy First's Disciples DS, Warlords DS, and Jagged Alliance DS aren't the vaporware that all external indications say they are.

Top Bottom