• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Plasmid

I started a few weeks ago, definitely a noob at everything, but i did buy a turntable.

Got a Jensen JTA-460 for around 86.00 or so. I only got to use it for about 20 minutes before having to rush out of the house to drive home, bought a few albums last week. I already posted this in the december pickup thread but i thought i'd post it here too.

Bigger picture in link below.

fpIh8l.jpg

Christmas Vinyl Haul Excuse the mess :c

Full list.

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica Re-Release 10th Anniversary edition
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Van Halen - 1984
Led Zeppelin - II
Simon & Garfunkel singing songs by Paul Simon - The Graduate
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
The Best of Ennio Morricone - Dollars Hits, the dollars trilogy.
Todays top hits (Found this is at my grandparents, has star wars theme on it).
Star Parade Volume 2
The Isaac Hayes Movement - Assumed self entitled.
John Williams - Close Encounters of the third kind soundtrack
MOOG - Minotaur
Ray Charles - A Portrait of Ray

Not pictured:

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No more
Daft Punk - Discovery
Childish Gambino - CAMP

I'm gonna edit my unboxing video of the jensen 460 because there are 0 unboxing and videos showing it off.

I'm supposed to be meeting a guy off craigslist to pickup a 3 pound box of 45's for only 5.00 soon :D.

Prez

It seems that I have a record that's not for sale anywhere. Not on Ebay, not on Discogs, I can't find it anywhere. It's Nina Simone - I Put A Spell On You from 1965. Now I'm very curious what it's worth. Unfortunately Popsike isn't working for me now, I get an error every time I try to search. Could anyone look up what it's worth?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It seems that I have a record that's not for sale anywhere. Not on Ebay, not on Discogs, I can't find it anywhere. It's Nina Simone - I Put A Spell On You from 1965. Now I'm very curious what it's worth. Unfortunately Popsike isn't working for me now, I get an error every time I try to search. Could anyone look up what it's worth?

What's the condition? There's one on Ebay in so-so condition that looks like it'll sell for around $8, and one sold in near mint just before Christmas for almost $90.

Prez

What's the condition? There's one on Ebay in so-so condition that looks like it'll sell for around $8, and one sold in near mint just before Christmas for almost $90.

Could you link me to the one that's on Ebay? I can't find it, all I can find is CD's and a 7" single.

Mine's in pretty good condition. Not near mint, I'd say VG++. The record looks great, but is a bit noisy. The inner sleeve is missing, but I can just put in another right? Also it's the Dutch edition that doesn't have the colored rings. Maybe that's good since Philips is Dutch?

Here's mine: http://www.2dehands.be/cd-vinyl/vin...0153857.html?qq=nina+simone&pcpl=&pc_id=&afd=

Prez

Thanks. Mine is in much better condition. Does it matter though that I don't have the original inner sleeve? It's just a piece of paper, right?

Finally got "Battles - Mirrored", "Justice - Cross" and "Justice - Audio, Video, Disco".
I always wanted to buy the first two, but most of the time they were sold out. Now I was lucky. :D

6594930927_2a8676ef4d_z.jpg

6594931891_d56474ca9e_z.jpg

6594932677_c3a18cb433_z.jpg

nitewulf

kinda lucked out today, maybe. found this:

2617137-stan-getz-the-girl-from-ipanema---the-bossa-nova-years.jpg

bought it for $60 bucks, it's a 5 LP set, German pressing. Can't find it for sale anywhere, only a used version on Amazon for $159. i have been playing it all night, the lps are absolutely mint. no noise, no skips, heavenly sound.

new good quality "getz/gilberto" and "jazz samba" cost around $35 each. and this set is basically stan getz's first 5 bossa nova albums from 1962 - 1964.

Alucrid

Banned
So is Discogs the best place to sell vinyl? I plan on letting go of a bunch of indie/mathrock/alternative/whatever albums that I no longer have interest in.

nitewulf

you can try posting a list here, or sell on ebay. i never bought from discogs but it seems to be a good storefront, the selection is massive.

I was at the Princeton Record Exchange the other day. I picked up Herbie Hancock's Man-Child for three bucks. I've only listened to side one so far and is definitely worth the price. I also got Sun Ra's Atlantis which is pretty crazy.

My best find was Mile's Davis's Dark Magus though. I've been meaning to listen to it forever but had never seen it in stores. My friend and I were about to leave when I came across this stack of new reissues and just thumbed through them, and came across it. I was pretty happy.

I also saw a copy of Soft Machine's Third which I wanted to have so bad but it was 43 dollars.

kinda lucked out today, maybe. found this:

2617137-stan-getz-the-girl-from-ipanema---the-bossa-nova-years.jpg

bought it for $60 bucks, it's a 5 LP set, German pressing. Can't find it for sale anywhere, only a used version on Amazon for $159. i have been playing it all night, the lps are absolutely mint. no noise, no skips, heavenly sound.

new good quality "getz/gilberto" and "jazz samba" cost around $35 each. and this set is basically stan getz's first 5 bossa nova albums from 1962 - 1964.

It historically sells for about $75 on discogs so you did good.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=514128&ev=rb

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Repost from the hauls thread:

Vallenfyre - A Fragile King (180g vinyl)
2011haulvallenfyre.jpg

Tom Waits - Bad As Me (180g vinyl)
2011haulwaits.jpg

Anthrax - Worship Music (180g vinyl)
2011haulAnthrax.jpg

Djerv - Djerv (180g vinyl)
2011hauldjerv.jpg

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes (180g vinyl remaster)
2011haulpetty.jpg

Mastodon - The Hunter (180g 45rpm vinyl)
2011haulmastodon.jpg

Killing Joke - Extremities, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions (180g vinyl)
2011haulkillingjoke.jpg

Dream Theater - Metropolis Part2: Scenes From a Memory (180g vinyl, limited to 5000 numbered copies)
2011hauldreamtheater.jpg

Absu - Abzu (180g vinyl)
2011haulabsu.jpg

The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre (180g vinyl ultra deluxe package)
2011hauldevil.jpg

kylej

Banned
colors look washed out because my camera sucks but screw it. A gorgeous vinyl for a gorgeous EP.

6C0wx.jpg

2qugC.jpg

Lord Huron's Mighty EP. One man band who creates some beautiful music - this is a jungle themed... indie rock? (hate that term) record. Imagine if Panda Bear injected The Lion King into his veins and made a record.

listen - http://lordhuron.bandcamp.com/releases

Danielsan

JzO9l.jpg

Yeah, back in business! A friend of mine has a handy dad who was willing to fix the speed stability problem on my SL23. He replaced a couple of worn out parts and oiled up the motor. She's working like a charm again. Total costs of repair: €10. Also bought him a decent bottle of whiskey as a proper thank you.

Going to order a couple of records once my next paycheck comes in.

Prez

I bought a Frank Sinatra 4-LP box set yesterday for €5. Near mint condition and the same box set has been sold on Ebay for $100. It seems to go for less in Europe, but it's still a steal!

Also when I came over to pick it up, he gave me a Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits LP for free. Best deal of the year so far!

Prez

Sorry for the late response. i'm wanting to spend 100-150$ total for amp & speakers, but i know that's not a lot.

Is this a good amplifier? I mean, will it get the job done? Then i can spin the rest on my speakers?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049P6OTI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There was one for 79.00 but as i went to order it i saw it changed to 102.19. oh well. :(.

Oh yeah you're gonna get great sound from that on shitty 20W speakers.

Second hand is the only way to go. Otherwise just give up cause you're too poor. The average low budget amp + speakers set-up is over $400 if you buy new. $150 will get you an old amp and speakers (from the 70s/80s) which is what I've got and is better than you'll get for $500 new. + I'm sure that my 80s Technics amp will outlive any current budget amp that will break after a year.

nitewulf

Sorry for the late response. i'm wanting to spend 100-150$ total for amp & speakers, but i know that's not a lot.

Is this a good amplifier? I mean, will it get the job done? Then i can spin the rest on my speakers?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049P6OTI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There was one for 79.00 but as i went to order it i saw it changed to 102.19. oh well. :(.

you should go for any of these, they are active/powered speakers, so you dont need a seperate amp. however, you have figure out how to hook them up properly, as they are set up to take one small stereo input from computers. At your price point, these are probably your best bet.

Audioengine A2
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=533718&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Whichever Swan fits your budget
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php/loudspeakers/swan-active-desktop/cPath/21_24

Ravager61

I have a question about turntables. Please note I'm very much a newbie at this stuff. So i have a Sony PS-LX300USB turntable hooked up to my Pioneer receiver. I know this turntable has a built in preamp but I still can't get the sound to get super loud. It is definitely at a listenable volume but if I ever want to crank it up, its just not possible.

I typically watch movies/listen to music from my laptop at around volume 40 but when I listen to vinyl it needs to be at around 55 just to be listenable for most of my records. Some of my records, like my Sunn O))) vinyls, demand to be listened to a high volumes but when I get to around 60 on my receiver, things start getting distorted.

I guess my question is, should I buy a pre-amp and hook it up even though my turntable already has one built in? Will this cause problems with sound quality? Are there any other options to make things louder?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I have a question about turntables. Please note I'm very much a newbie at this stuff. So i have a Sony PS-LX300USB turntable hooked up to my Pioneer receiver. I know this turntable has a built in preamp but I still can't get the sound to get super loud. It is definitely at a listenable volume but if I ever want to crank it up, its just not possible.

I typically watch movies/listen to music from my laptop at around volume 40 but when I listen to vinyl it needs to be at around 55 just to be listenable for most of my records. Some of my records, like my Sunn O))) vinyls, demand to be listened to a high volumes but when I get to around 60 on my receiver, things start getting distorted.

I guess my question is, should I buy a pre-amp and hook it up even though my turntable already has one built in? Will this cause problems with sound quality? Are there any other options to make things louder?

Do not do that. You'd be taking an amplified signal and amplifying it again, you will truly know distortion then. It's possible that the built in pre-amp just sucks, but it's more likely that it's normal and you just have the volume up too high on the laptop. You're running a hot signal to your receiver, but with today's clipping Kanye albums and summer movie blockbusters, no one notices anymore.

An option to make things louder is to use a larger receiver, which one do you have? Also if things are getting distorted when turning up the volume on your receiver, then you also likely need larger speakers.

Ravager61

Do not do that. You'd be taking an amplified signal and amplifying it again, you will truly know distortion then. It's possible that the built in pre-amp just sucks, but it's more likely that it's normal and you just have the volume up too high on the laptop. You're running a hot signal to your receiver, but with today's clipping Kanye albums and summer movie blockbusters, no one notices anymore.

An option to make things louder is to use a larger receiver, which one do you have? Also if things are getting distorted when turning up the volume on your receiver, then you also likely need larger speakers.

My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-521 and the speakers are 2 Polk Audio tower speakers(cant remember the model). It's not that the speakers themselves can't get loud. I often listen to music from my laptop or watch movies from my PS3 and both of those sources have comparable loudness when at a similar volume level and can both get very loud. My turntable however is noticeably quieter when at the same volume level.

When I try to adjust the volume by cranking it up to the higher reaches of the receiver's volume I get this weird wobble sound. It's not really distortion. I think it just has to do with the fact that I'm getting into the upper area of the receivers volume level, if that makes sense.

Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results :D

does your receiver have a phono input? Or did you just hook up your turntable into an AUX port into your receiver? If your receiver does not have a phono input, you need to get a phono stage and hook it up between your turntable and your AUX port of your receiver to boost the signal.

Ravager61

Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results :D

does your receiver have a phono input? Or did you just hook up your turntable into an AUX port into your receiver? If your receiver does not have a phono input, you need to get a phono stage and hook it up between your turntable and your AUX port of your receiver to boost the signal.

My receiver doesn't have a phono input, its just hooked up to the RCA ports on the back. Like i said, the turntable does have a built in pre-amp, its just not very good. Is a phono stage that you are referring to the same thing as an external pre-amp? I'm worried that adding an external one would distort the sound as Borgnine mentioned, since there is already one built in and the signal would be boosted twice.

Borgnine

Looking at the instruction manual, there is phono/line switch on the back. Is it on "line?"

Borgnine

Yep it is on line. All my stuff is listenable, I just wish it was louder. I guess the solution would be to buy a pre-amp and put this setting on phono then?

Well, maybe. It would make a difference if the problem is that the pre-amp in the table is defective or just shitty. There's not really any way to tell unless you swap it out with another table. You might try leaving it on line and using a headphone amp with a volume knob so you can boost the signal as much as you want. I don't know much about those though, you'll probably have to use adapters and stuff.

Also, it's a USB table right? What if you go USB to laptop, then line out of laptop using the volume control on the laptop to boost the signal?

Ravager61

Well, maybe. It would make a difference if the problem is that the pre-amp in the table is defective or just shitty. There's not really any way to tell unless you swap it out with another table. You might try leaving it on line and using a headphone amp with a volume knob so you can boost the signal as much as you want. I don't know much about those though, you'll probably have to use adapters and stuff.

Also, it's a USB table right? What if you go USB to laptop, then line out of laptop using the volume control on the laptop to boost the signal?

Let me see if I can find the USB cable and I will give that a shot. Thanks for your help.

Danielsan

A wild Amazon package appears!

gkPet.jpg

Zola Jesus - Conatus (Gate Fold, 180g, coloured/patterned)
SBTRKT - SBTRKT

VUVUg.jpg

Damn, that coloured/patterned 180g Zola Jesus Vinyl looks so damn good!

Ufz9B.jpg

Danielsan

Picked up some new vinyl today. On my way to the record store in Amsterdam I stumbled upon a market where one of the standees had a ton of second hand vinyl. Snagged both Kate Bush - Hounds of Love and Talk Talk- The Colour of Spring for €2 a piece..

M9lhD.jpg

In the record store I couldn't really find what I was looking for, but I didn't want to leave empty handed so I picked up one of my favourite records of 2010, The National - High Violet. And man, am I glad that I did. Probably the most classy/awesome packaging I've yet to come across.

clVeY.jpg

JDi3f.jpg

STG!

So is Discogs the best place to sell vinyl? I plan on letting go of a bunch of indie/mathrock/alternative/whatever albums that I no longer have interest in.

Depends on the scene, not too big of a fan of the site in general but for buying it can be pretty good. I've made a few great scores there, and some better connections. :)

Price it realistic to move and grade it accurately, I think you'll be fine.

I bought a mixer last week. And have bought like 30 7"'s and 15 LP's this month. Sigh.

Welcome to the club. I'm due for a few new tunes myself, as I'm pretty much done listening to my backlog.

Echoes

Anything wrong with Audio Technica AT-LP60? I just want a player to listen to my 3 or 4 vinyl. I have a NuForce Icon HDP (amp/dac) & Denon 2000. Do I need anything else to play my vinyl? (with Amazon links if possible) - Thanks.

FLEABttn

Banned
Anything wrong with Audio Technica AT-LP60? I just want a player to listen to my 3 or 4 vinyl.

Nonadjustable tracking force. It will skip on some records and there's nothing you can do about it. Total waste of money of a player. Mine lasted 4 weeks before I replaced it with a Pro-ject Debut III.

Echoes

Nonadjustable tracking force. It will skip on some records and there's nothing you can do about it. Total waste of money of a player. Mine lasted 4 weeks before I replaced it with a Pro-ject Debut III.

Hm.. any recommendation you might have in mind? Preferably not higher than than 150$.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I totally forgot this thread existed, but I recently purchased this...not gunna say how much, but it was quite a lot of duckets for a single (only 300 were ever printed).

iQNLOOjkje8Ic.jpg

Top Bottom