• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Gigglepoo said:
What? When was the last time people were even the slightest bit optimistic about a Sonic game?
Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventures, which turned out to be great games.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
KevinCow said:
I just... don't get this. It seems to be a completely opposite direction from what the series should be doing.

The way I see it, more recent Sonic games have been primarily ruined by an emphasis on story and too much slow and shitty gameplay that detracts from the speed that makes Sonic great. The Adventure games would have been great if they'd just been a bunch of the Sonic/Shadow type stages polished up a bit, none of the mechs or fishing or treasure hunt shit, and if they'd removed all the cutscenes and any attempt at a real story.

And what are RPGs? Story-heavy games with slow and shitty gameplay!

Bingo.

I mean seriously, fuck this. I had hopes for this being an interesting take on action RPGs instilled with the simplicity and fun of what Sonic should be. The very nature of Sonic is no waiting, keep it simple, make it fast and fun.

And now we're going to get a half-baked story, stupid menus, and waiting. I don't care that it's BioWare, this is fucking with a once great franchise even further.

TreIII

Amir0x said:
Ok I understand this is an RPG, but do people really care about the story here? I mean, I guess I never really thought there was exactly much material in the Sonic universe... was hoping they handled it in the sort of joking fashion Paper Mario does. Lots of fanservice and good writing and lots of fourth wall breaking.

Hey, it IS BioWare. These are the same guys who made MDK2, among other things. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
TreIII said:
Hey, it IS BioWare. These are the same guys who made MDK2, among other things. :lol

Oh, I know. BECAUSE it's BioWare, this is the first Sonic game since... well since Sonic Adventure 1 on DC that I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to. I'm just saying, I hope that's what they do rather than the alternative "take itself too seriously and ultimately because a shitty parody of all that is wrong with RPGs."

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Gigglepoo said:
I guarantee there were more haters (or sheer apathy) for SRA than this game.
You guarantee that a well-received platformer had more hate than a Sonic RPG made by Bioware.

You guarantee this.

jman2050

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I honestly hope they port this to every sensible platform known to man: PSP, PS2, XBLA, PSN and VC.

Won't happen with the revelation that Bioware is relying heavily on DS-exclusive features for this game.

Quazar

Gigglepoo said:
What? When was the last time people were even the slightest bit optimistic about a Sonic game?

True, but I could give two fucks about other Sonic games that weren't even developed by Bioware. Oh wait Sonic wont be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast. Boo hoo.

jman2050

I AM JOHN! said:
Don't you dare fucking hate on MDK2.

I'm almost positive that he was talking about Bioware's ability to inject humor into their games when necessary.

EDIT - Yeah, what ^ said.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, I'm just thinking out loud about the options Sonic would have in a turn-based RPG.

Jump Attack
Spin Dash

and uh...

uh......

Throw Ring?

Fuck.

Amir0x

Banned
well unless you're solely talking about Super Mario RPG, i think I officially win this thread's tastes wars Himuro. Try again next thread.

Gigglepoo

Crushed said:
You guarantee that a well-received platformer had more hate than a Sonic RPG made by Bioware.

You guarantee this.

Yup, because Sonic games are historically awful. The fact that there's any optimism for this game shows how much faith people have in Bioware. Can you imagine the hate if Sega was developing this?

Teknoman

Amir0x said:
Virtua Fighter is the one franchise they haven't corrupted totally actually hehe.

What about House of the Dead and Panzer Dragoon?

Also i've wanted a turn based Sonic RPG since I saw Mario in his first RPG. Though I gotta say, I never thought i'd see Bioware make a turn based RPG.

Amir0x

Banned
Teknoman said:
What about House of the Dead and Panzer Dragoon?

Guess we'll see how House of Dead 1+2 turn out... although, they're just rehashes from when SEGA was still good so that'd probably turn out ok

Cynar

I'm really looking forward to this. All this hate reminds me of when Super Mario RPG was first announced. :lol

jman2050

Gigglepoo said:
Yup, because Sonic games are historically awful. The fact that there's any optimism for this game shows how much faith people have in Bioware. Can you imagine the hate if Sega was developing this?

While I disagree with your assessment of SRA hate, you do bring up a valid point.

This game would be the laughingstock of GAF if Bioware were not involved.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Himuro said:
The thing about the Mario rpgs is that the humor is often awful, and the games tend to almost ALWAYS feel too cutesy. I hate Mario rpgs.

I have faith Bioware will make something enjoyable. Can't wait for a trailer.

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be an epic mature lore, filled with sweeping tales of furry intrigue, palette swapped "new characters," and alien space fairies oh my god they actually expect us to take this seriously

Teknoman said:
What about House of the Dead?
House of the Dead 3. :(
Gigglepoo said:
Woah woah woah, historically? You mean "the 3D games that have come out in the past seven years," right? Since last I checked, the old 2D Sonics were some of the best games ever, and even the Dimps Sonic games were good.

Himuro said:
The thing about the Mario rpgs is that the humor is often awful, full of crappy internet MEME's for nerds, and the games tend to almost ALWAYS feel too cutesy. I hate Mario rpgs.

I have faith Bioware will make something enjoyable. Can't wait for a trailer. If anyone has the ability to make a funny yet not obnoxiously cute rpg, Bioware can.

I will just assume you're speaking of Paper Mario, and not my beloved Super Mario RPG.

Also, I vote for shortening the title of this game to Sonicles.

jman2050 said:
While I disagree with your assessment of SRA hate, you do bring up a valid point.

Actually yeah... having Squaresoft on board for Mario RPG was what made that work. Eh, we'll see how this goes.

Quazar

jman2050 said:

For good fucking reasons.

Gigglepoo

jman2050 said:
While I disagree with your assessment of SRA...

The dominant emotion towards SRA was apathy. After Sonic Rush was hyped to the hills and ending up offering the worst level design of any 2D platformer, I've learned to just ignore even classic Sonic games now.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Gigglepoo said:
The dominant emotion towards SRA was apathy. After Sonic Rush was hyped the hills and ending up offering the worst level design of any 2D platformer, I've learned to just ignore even classic Sonic games now.
Uh... but SRA was well accepted and was hyped BECAUSE its predecessor was a good game.

Teknoman

Himuro said:
Outrun
Hang On
Sega Rally
Daytona
After Burner
Jet Set Radio
Chu Chu Rocket
Space Channel 5
Streets of Rage
Virtua Cop

Those too. Speaking of which... quite a few of those games need to make a comeback this generation. I'd pay for a Street of Rage 2 HD with SF III quality animation/ XBLA Daytona USA Dreamcast version HD with the music 100% intact.

Still having fun with Jet Set Radio Future.

Amir0x

Banned
Like I said, try against next thread Himuro. I won in post #132.

Moving on, the thing I'm most interested in is to see what the style looks like. I like the description of hand drawn water color style!

Gigglepoo

Crushed said:
Uh... but SRA was well accepted and was hyped BECAUSE its predecessor was a good game.

Sonic Rush was not a good game. Sonic and the Secret Rings was even worse. I'm not sure how to even react to people who say otherwise. It will make my life easier to think they are just joking.

Quazar

Amir0x said:
Like I said, try against next thread Himuro. I won in post #132.

Moving on, the thing I'm most interested in is to see what the style looks like. I like the description of hand drawn water color style!

You're awesome. :lol

I do wonder how they're going to incorporate Sonic's speed into the game. Of course, people have been doing crazy things with RPGs for a while now. It's not quite Attack->Attack->Attack anymore. But still. I'm really curious about the gameplay.

Gigglepoo

Miniboss1232 said:
I do wonder how they're going to incorporate Sonic's speed into the game.

I hope they don't. Sonic's speed has been a crutch developers have relied on to make simple levels that make Sonic closer to a poorly designed, side-scrolling racing game than a platformer.

TreIII

Gigglepoo said:
I hope they don't. Sonic's speed has been a crutch developers have relied on to make simple levels that make Sonic closer to a poorly designed, side-scrolling racing game than a platformer.

Maybe that might be the case for Sega, but I think that BioWare could stand to make it a more interesting dynamic, and not just a crutch.

At the least, maybe they could give you bonuses for trying to finish battles as fast as you possibly can, or something to that effect...

ZeoVGM

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
I hate it when I'm right. :'(

Uh, actually this sounds more like the original and best Mario RPG, which poked fun at itself, but wasn't a total joke like the Paper Mario games. Remember, how it had an actual story?

_dementia said:
Sonic Rush and DIMPS' GBA Sonics were very, very bad.

Sonic Rush is the best Sonic game since S&K.

Jiggy37 said:
At least they got the good ones.
These seem like awesome, awesome things if done right.

I'm willing to bet money that Bioware makes Big a really likable character in this.

Anyway, Sega sucks for what they did to Sonic, but a couple of you need to stop living in the past as if they just put out nothing but shit. NiGHTS 2, Sonic Rush Adventure, Crush, Virtua Fighter 5, Sega Rally Revo all came out in 2007 and they were all really good.

The new Sonic Riders came out for Wii, and EGM said it was good, but we'll see what happens. It probably will be mediocre again.

And 2008 is bringing us Condemned 2, Golden Axe, House of the Dead 1+2 and we know at least one of those will be awesome.

They're not an AMAZING publisher, but there's much worse these days.

Gigglepoo said:

Hmm, I figured speed was the prominent aspect of Sonic gameplay... considering his name is Sonic and all. IF you're speaking of the portable games, you should realize that there are some serious technical limitations there, such as screen size and clarity, that make it harder to make levels like those of the Genesis days.

But we'll see... I'd like for them to incorporate it somehow. I don't know... maybe the battles are just like good ol' regular Final Fantasy Attack/Magic/Item battles, except that all of the characters are running instead of standing still. I'd be fine with that.

Sciz

Good news:

-In game graphics have a water color look, all hand drawn
-No random battles, see enemies on the field
-Team attacks (like Chrono Trigger)
-Eggman not the main villain. But Bioware wants to make him a creditable bad guy again. Something about a "twist" between Eggman and Sonic that goes back to the earlier games.
-Remixed classic tunes
-"fully animated cut scenes"

The rest could either go one way or the other, or is just kind of "eeeh, maybe". The nice thing about the plot is that no matter how much it sounds like a fanfic, it will at least be better than anything Sega has written for the series in the last several years.

Miniboss1232 said:
Hmm, I figured speed was the prominent aspect of Sonic gameplay... considering his name is Sonic and all.

Common mistake. Superficially, yes, the series is all about speed. On a more basic level though, the gameplay is all about physics, reflexes, and exploration.

Top Bottom