• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales Age- NPD Tie ratio's for December and LTD (Wii #1 in Dec, 360 on top overall)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/847/847472p1.html

December Tie Ratio's (how many games purchased in December compared to how many consoles sold in the month):

Wii- 8.11
360- 7.76
PS3- 5.04

Overall Tie Ratio:

360- 7 (!!!)
Wii- 4.64
PS3- 4.26

My rough estimates of total software based on NPD hardware data and the attach rate

360- 63 million
Wii- 34 million
PS3- 13.5 million

ksamedi

The Wii has a very high attach rate for such a fast selling sytem. I think this confirms that the Wii is a software monster.

For DECEMBER, that number is strong. Hopefully new buyers will continue to push SW sales going forward. Wii's got a lot of work before getting near the Xbox...

Jammy

Banned
Jibber Hack said:
For DECEMBER, that number is strong. Hopefully new buyers will continue to push SW sales going forward. Wii's got a lot of work before getting near the Xbox...

Nothing's going to come close to 360's attach ratio, especially not Wii. Not only are 360 owners the more hardcore, but one thing helping to keep Wii's ratio down is the fact that its hardware sells gangbusters, too.

dyls

So Wii software actually outsold 360 by over a million units in December. Just the beginning, or a holiday blip?

1.35M * 8.11= 10.9485M
1.26M * 7.76= 9.7776M

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
mr_bishiuk said:
The PS3 is worse of overall than the Wii? They haven't been adding Wii sports on again have they?
Probably not Wii Sports, since it's not sold separately in the US like it is in Japan.

Wii Play on the other hand...

Jammy

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
The PS3 is worse of overall than the Wii? They haven't been adding Wii sports on again have they?

No, adding Wii Sports would only help the attach rate (unfairly, too).

I guess both hardware AND software sells bad PS3-wise.

schuelma

mr_bishiuk said:

Why is it so hard to believe? From the limited NPD software data we've gotten, PS3 software has always seemed pretty anemic.

XiaNaphryz said:
Probably not Wii Sports, since it's not sold separately in the US like it is in Japan.

Wii Play on the other hand...

Oh yer, thats certainly helped.

In the UK retailers were doing forced bundles on the Wii's £300 with 3 games, was this the case in the US?

schuelma said:
Why is it so hard to believe? From the limited NPD software data we've gotten, PS3 software has always seemed pretty anemic.

I just thought that what with the PS3 being a "hardcore" gaming machine its users would have bought more games than for the "casual" Wii.

Perhaps the PS3 is just being bought by well of casuals who buy it simply because of the brand?

Jammy

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Oh yer, thats certainly helped.

In the UK retailers were doing forced bundles on the Wii's £300 with 3 games, was this the case in the US?

No. The only place you might be able to find a bundle is GameStop's website. In-store there are no bundles. I believe Reggie came out and frowned upon forced Wii bundling, too.

mr_bishiuk said:
I just thought that what with the PS3 being a "hardcore" gaming machine its users would have bought more games than for the "casual" Wii.

Perhaps the PS3 is just being bought by well of casuals who buy it simply because of the brand?

:lol No. PS3, like the PSP before it, is doing poorly in game sales because a) people have already spent a crapload on the hardware and b) you can do anything from Blu-Ray, etc. on the system.

The few people that buy Sony systems now apparently just buy them for the multi-media it seems.

Penguin

Actually, I think the Wii's attach rate is made all the more impressive by the fact it comes with Wii sports. I mean it comes with a full game that most people want.

I mean 360 comes with games as well (depending on the SKU) but I don't know if they were system movers to begin with.

pswii60

Wii Play and a large selection of cheap games (Carnival Games) etc will certainly help with the Wii's tie ratio on a per month basis.

But in December, many stores were doing bundle-only deals, which is likely to be the main contributor to the month's high tie ratio.

PkunkFury

Wii's tie rate is amazing considering how fast the system is selling. Also, this may show that having a pack in game doesn't hurt software sales, since Wii is doing so well and everybody who owns one got Wii Sports for free

pswii60 said:
Wii Play and a large selection of cheap games (Carnival Games) etc will certainly help with the Wii's tie ratio on a per month basis.

But in December, many stores were doing bundle-only deals, which is likely to be the main contributor to the month's high tie ratio.

More likely is that with Wii's large casual base, holiday season was the time to purchase games. These people don't pre-order or line up like 360 fans. All of the stores by me has there entire Wii software selection picked dry before Christmas (especially Toys R Us). It's safe to say Wii will always win December

liuelson

Can someone help clarify the meaning of a high v. low tie ratio? Is there a tie ratio that would be considered too high? Is there an "ideal" tie ratio that consoles should target?

schuelma

pswii60 said:

Oh come on :lol

Atreides

mr_bishiuk said:

Or perhaps some people has bought PS3 as a Blu Ray player mainly.

Edit: late, of course. :lol

Xeke

Banned
It's pretty obvious that the Wii only sold any third party games because of forced bundles by the retailers out to put the PS3 down.

Chumly

pswii60 said:

Best Buy didnt
Gamestop/EB didnt
Toysrus didnt
Circuit City didnt
Walmart didnt
Target didnt

So really HOW much did the bundles help if hardly anyone did them. (Some of those stores might have done online bundles but not instore bundles. This would only be a small percentage of their sales anyways)

pswii60

schuelma said:
Oh come on :lol

You can selectively quote, well done.

Holy shit @ the nforce jumping on me. OK, so no stores were forcing bundles, no stores were selling the cheap games, and the real reason for the high tie ratio is simply because Wii buyers buy shit loads of games. Happy?

Tron 2.0

Chumly said:
Best Buy didnt
Gamestop/EB didnt
Toysrus didnt
Circuit City didnt
Walmart didnt
Target didnt

So really HOW much did the bundles help if hardly anyone did them. (Some of those stores might have done online bundles but not instore bundles. This would only be a small percentage of their sales anyways)
Right.

We had bundles in Europe, but that wouldn't help with NPD tie ratios.

That's pretty impressive for the Wii with the rate that the console is selling and that it comes with a game packed in.

Of course, the 360 is above and beyond anything.

Jammy

Banned
Yeah, I don't know where forced bundling came up either. Maybe you're thinking of the U.K. where Mario and Sonic at the Olympics was bundled for a week or two by several retailers (and sold out the next)?

Vinci

Danish
grandjedi6 said:
This means Fire Emblem and Zack & Wiki may have sold better... maybe

I love them both, but it makes me feel a little dirty considering they're both corpses. They were sent to die. Accept it. Love them, but accept it.

Aeris130

pswii60 said:

Holy shit @ the nforce jumping on me. OK, so no stores were forcing bundles, no stores were selling the cheap games, and the real reason for the high tie ratio is simply because Wii buyers buy shit loads of games. Happy?

Sold games tend to drive tie-ratios up. Are we down to "bad/small/cheap games don't count"? As for bundles, there's "they did" vs "they didn't" vs "they must've" without a single source in sight.

Tron 2.0

pswii60 said:
When you're wrong, you're wrong.

laserbeam

Banned
At the Rate the Wii Sells to even approach the 360s Ratio would require Megaton Games released monthly putting out Mario Galaxy numbers.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
What was the tie ratio for the 360 as of the end of last December? My search skills are failing me.
That's a good question. I wonder if anyone can find it.

I compared the relative installed bases to the relative software sales. However, because tie-ratios are non-linear, it's not as meaningful as it looks. If we have the LTD 360 tie ratio through December 2006, we could have an apples-apples comparison of the software attach for each platform.

Code:
System   Hardware       % Hardware       Tie-Ratio      LTD Software      % Software 
360      9,150,000      46%              7              64,050,000        57%
Wii      7,370,000      37%              4.64           34,196,800        31%
PS3      3,240,000      16%              4.26           13,802,400        12%

Total    19,760,000                                     112,049,200

Chumly

pswii60 said:

Wow no need to get pissy. I simply corrected you becuase you were wrong.

As for your other point it was perfectly valid the tie ratio WAS raised by Wii Play and cheap games a lot.

So Matt rounded 8 to...10? :lol

Very impressive for the Wii. Revenue numbers would almost certainly favor the 360 though, with generally higher SKU prices and Rockband.

As for PS3, can I make a broad generalization? The average PS3 owner in the US owns a combination of games that probably includes at least 3 of the following:

Resistance: Fall of Man
Madden NFL 2008
Call of Duty 4
Assassin's Creed.

ksamedi said:
A very high tie ratio could mean that your system is not selling that well. New owners always bring down the tie ratio because new owners usually only buy a few games with there systems. Its long time owners that pile up games and have big collections. You can see the tie ratio numbers as the average games collection per console sold. The Wii's has a very high tie ratio for such a fast selling system actually. 360's tie ratio is pretty big, but its also because of the lower hardware sales. PS3's tie ratio is very very weak though.

The 360 is selling poorly in the US now?

ksamedi

liuelson said:
Can someone help clarify the meaning of a high v. low tie ratio? Is there a tie ratio that would be considered too high? Is there an "ideal" tie ratio that consoles should target?

A very high tie ratio could mean that your system is not selling that well. New owners always bring down the tie ratio because new owners usually only buy a few games with there systems. Its long time owners that pile up games and have big collections. You can see the tie ratio numbers as the average games collection per console sold. The Wii's has a very high tie ratio for such a fast selling system actually. 360's tie ratio is pretty big, but its also because of the lower hardware sales. PS3's tie ratio is very very weak though.

mr_bishiuk said:

Wii sports is not included.

The 2 systems were essentially tied as of the end of October. Very strong Wi sales in November and December took Wii's tie ratio to another level. The PS3's increased as well, just not as strongly as the Wii's

ksamedi said:
Wii's has a very high tie ratio for such a fast selling system actually. 360's tie ratio is pretty big, but its also because of the lower hardware sales. PS3's tie ratio is very very weak though.

Leave the analysis to folks who know what they're talking about.

360's tie ratio was 4 month 1 (almost) and has produced historic tie ratio's throughout it's run. Ratio's that no other system can claim to hold a candle to.

The Wii's tie ratio was moderate up until the end of October at best. It is true that the more HW units you sell, the harder it is to have a great tie ratio, but their current tie ratio does not raise anyone's eyebrows.

arne

ksamedi said:
The Wii has a very high attach rate for such a fast selling sytem. I think this confirms that the Wii is a software monster.

:lol
Overall tie ratio is where it's at, and that's not that great given how low the PS3 sales are and their tie ratios are within 0.5 of each other.

Xeke

Banned
pswii60 said:

I mean I totally agree with you.

You know I just thought of something. Retailers must be counting WiiPlay as 9 games! That would be the only way the poor Wii could sell that many games.

Resistance: Fall of Man
Madden NFL 2008
Call of Duty 4
Assassin's Creed.

So what you're saying is that PS3 owners owning an average of 4 games probably have the 4 most popular games on the system. You're probably pretty close...

schuelma

No Means Nomad said:
When kids need Christmas presents.

Ok...I guess I don't really get the point of these kinds of posts. So software numbers for by far the busiest time of the year shouldn't count since it favors the Wii?

schuelma

Chumly said:
As for your other point it was perfectly valid the tie ratio WAS raised by Wii Play and cheap games a lot.

I think its a valid point as well, but then you get on a slippery slope.

"Well, then you should count Wii Sports for half a game"

'Well, even if games are cheaper, development is also cheaper so Wii games make more profit", etc.

Top Bottom