• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

I'm not exactly sure how to word this - what are some facts about videogames or the videogame industry that just make you go "wow"?

I'll start with a couple:

1) A lot of you know that Starfox Adventures started as Dinosaur Planet - a game concept completely made by Rare. There's even beta shots out there of the elusive Dinosaur Planet.
01_640w.jpg

Yes, that is the infamous blue fox we now know today as Krystal. However, in that shot, she's in a completely different game unrelated to Starfox - an original game built for the Nintendo 64.
This game was eventually released for the Gamecube as Starfox Adventures. Shortly after, Rare was sold to Microsoft.

But Krystal, the same blue fox from the original Dinosaur Planet, stayed with Nintendo. She has appeared in every Starfox since Adventures - she appeared in the DS game developed by Q-games (who also works on the Pixlejunk games for the PS3) and she was even reimagined by Namco when they developed Starfox Assault.

The big picture: she started out as the anonymous blue fox from Dinosaur Planet, an original IP created by Nintendo owned, UK based developer, Rare. She ended up a "veteran" Starfox character, right up there with the 64 originals like Peppy, Falco, etc. She has appeared in other Starfox's developed by Namco and Q-games - both Japanese companies. Rare isn't even with Nintendo today, instead being owned by Microsoft.

Pretty picture comparison:
Some blue fox from Rare's Dinosaur Planet, completely created by them:
07_640w.jpg

Namco and Nintendo's Krystal from Starfox Assault:
tank.jpg

2) Camelot. tri-Ace. tri-Crescendo. Namco Tales Studo. What do they all have in common?

It all starts with Wolfteam.

Basically I'm too lazy to go into detail, but most of it is explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoi_Sakuraba

Sakuraba composes for most of their games, too.

So basically games like Star Ocean, Tales, Eternal Sonata, Golden Sun, and various others are all related to each other in the sense that they all comprise some of the original staff from Wolfteam.

That's all I can think of right now, perhaps I'm just easily amused. :D

bjork

People enjoy halo
people enjoy gta
people enjoy mario

now that those are out of the way, a serious one:

- that Berzerk is STILL not available on any of the marketplaces

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's the same way Nintendo got to keep the rights to all the Kongs from the DKC games. Makes you wonder if Nintendo knew Rare was gonna be cut loose after Dinosaur Planet, so they had them turn it into SFA so Nintendo could keep all the characters.

Chris Michael said:
Pretty picture comparison:
Some blue fox from Rare's Dinosaur Planet, completely created by them:
07_640w.jpg

Namco and Nintendo's Krystal from Starfox Assault:
tank.jpg
It's long been suspect that Nintendo encouraged furrydom as an effort to turn the world into hamfisted manbabies, but goddamn that's basically confirmation.

I like the original design better, because the current Krystal we have looks so much like a Batgirl/Supergirl type character when compared to Fox.

That the Sonic games have gone from being one of the best franchises in gaming to one of the worst, as much as that fact pains me.

TJ Spyke

That people can misspell game and franchise names even after multiple entries and years. Examples:

1)People typing "Megaman" instead of "Mega Man"
2)People typing "Starfox" instead of "Star Fox"
3)People typing "Sim City" instead of "SimCity"
4)People typing "X-Box" or "XBox" instead of "Xbox"

and the one that bugs me the most:
5)People typing "Wiimote" or "Wii-mote" instead of "Wii Remote"

Ashhong

I don't get it. What is amazing about Krystal?

TJ Spyke said:
That people can misspell game and franchise names even after multiple entries and years. Examples:

and the one that bugs me the most:
5)People typing "Wiimote" or "Wii-mote" instead of "Wii Remote"

Nobody types to suit your fancy. They want shorter, faster words. Wiimote sounds cooler and is easier.

Ashhong

KittenMaster said:
People tend to make up reasons in fanfiction.

uhhhhhh wow? =/ So basically it amazes the OP that Krystal was started in an unrelated game by Rare, and is still used today? A-mazing.

Edit: Actually, I guess if you never knew about the original Dinosaur Planet game and are a fan of Star Fox enough to know who Krystal is, her origination I guess could be interesting.

TJ Spyke

Ashhong said:
I don't get it. What is amazing about Krystal?

Nobody types to suit your fancy. They want shorter, faster words. Wiimote sounds cooler and is easier.

In understand people on messageboards doing it (although that still bugs me), it's when game "journalists" do it since that just seems so unprofessional. To me, it doesn't sound cooler either.

Ashhong said:
uhhhhhh wow? =/ So basically it amazes the OP that Krystal was started in an unrelated game by Rare, and is still used today? A-mazing.

Edit: Actually, I guess if you never knew about the original Dinosaur Planet game and are a fan of Star Fox enough to know who Krystal is, her origination I guess could be interesting.

Exactly, I'm not a Starfox fan but the fact that she originated from an original game by a UK dev to an established Starfox character used by Japanese devs just.... interests me.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I told my roommate that Nintendo started out as a card making business in the late 1800s. He thinks that is crazy. I personally think that games like Sewer Shark and Night Trap were originally going to be this type of VHS game system is still way bizarre to me (and the system was supposed to come out in the late 80s.). Those are two that I can think of.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The fact that people still adore Mario. Hey, I liked the guy too... when I was fucking 8.

DMC and NG fans don't generally get along. Seriously guys it's time we cut this shit out.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Forceatowulf said:
The fact that people still adore Mario. Hey, I liked the guy too... when I was fucking 8.

Fucking 8 what?

Pachael

I hear SK are suing Epic for making faulty engines and without support.

To be more serious, A Japanese company (Capcom) made a shooting game (1942) where the object is destroy the Japanese fleet. 1943 was its sequel, and if you thought mentioning 'Project Midway' by the Xbox team was contentious, Capcom named its sequel 'The Battle of Midway'. Wonder what it was called internally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1942_(video_game)

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Azuran said:
I seriously can't see how can people can get aroused by looking at at drawing of a fox.

Damn furries.
Well to be fair its somewhat of a hybrid between what a human is shaped like and the characteristics of a fox. But I can definitely see where you're coming from...

Hey, I've got another one.

Rockstar and Capcom seem to have a pretty close relationship.

Red Dead Revolver was originally a game completely created by Capcom - a Japanese company. It was cancelled by Capcom, but Rockstar - an American company - got the rights to make the game. As far as I know they changed the original concept of what the original Capcom game was supposed to be. Nevertheless, they essentially developed the game that Capcom had cancelled.

Not to mention Capcom publishes Rockstar's GTA games in Japan.

For some reason, international relations interest me the most. :lol

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
She ended up a "veteran" Starfox character, right up there with the 64 originals like Peppy, Falco, etc. She has appeared in other Starfox's developed by Namco and Q-games - both Japanese companies. Rare isn't even with Nintendo today, instead being owned by Microsoft.

I was pretty sure falco and the others were all in the snes starfox...

The main thing that blows my mind is that Nintendo will never behave rationally nor will they ever do what I wish they would with their franchises. Yet I continue to enjoy their output more than any single company...

Diablos

Here's one:

Final Fantasy XII took half a decade's time to be released, and it didn't even come remotely close to living up to the hype. Even if you disagree with that, no FF should ever take five years to be released. Ridiculous.

Honestly, this is one of the very few video game facts that blew my mind. How this game took five years to be completed when it still had so many obvious flaws is unbelievable. And, not to mention, unacceptable.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Arthas said:

Wow? Seriously?

I was just asking because I was playing today and barely noticed a SINGLE jaggie. See, this blew my mind... a 2001 game, running at 60FPS and with AA4x.

By the way... AA is Anti Aliasing for the guy that wondered what I was even asking =P.

Top Bottom