• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Vlad
Member
(03-12-2012, 07:53 PM)
Vlad's Avatar

Originally Posted by morningbus


When does it become the responsibility of the other person? Can I not bring up Aeris' death either?

A lot of people, myself included, simply don't have the time to watch all the movies and tv shows they'd like to immediately. On top of all the shows currently airing that I watch, there's plenty that I've been meaning to check out, such as The Wire, Burn Notice, and even Battlestar Galactica.

Now sure, some things have been so completely spoiled as to become common knowledge, such as the spoiler I quoted above (although FYI, a proper spoiler should have some indication of its contents outside the tags, like "Can I not bring up (FFVII spoiler) Aeris' Death, either?"). The most common example along those lines is Citizen Kane. It's pretty much a given that most people know what Rosebud is, even if they haven't seen the movie.

There is no responsibility that falls on the "other person" in this case, it falls entirely on the poster to use spoiler tags responsibly.
trh
Nifty AND saffron-colored!
(03-12-2012, 07:59 PM)
Whelp, here I am mid third season of BSG and look at this. Cool stuff. Glad I entered this thread!
John Rabbit
Member
(03-12-2012, 08:09 PM)
John Rabbit's Avatar
i never finished BSG but if you weren't starting to catch on by the end of the 2nd season how the show was going to end you were not paying very much attention.
bengraven
will fuck homely black hookers in the name of progress and tolerance
(03-12-2012, 08:13 PM)
bengraven's Avatar
I already had the BSG thing spoiled in another thread years ago. Same situation. :/ And this was only a few months after BSG came out.

that said, I sympathize with people who for whatever reason are waiting to watch something. I still need to finish season 4 of BSG and I still need to watch quite a few shows that I'll eventually get around to.
MattKeil
BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
(03-12-2012, 08:28 PM)
MattKeil's Avatar

Originally Posted by morningbus

Go ahead and spoil Paul Blart: Mall Cop. I dare you.

Look, I see the point you're making, and I'll answer honestly: I've seen everything from three years ago that I wanted to see. You'd have to spoil stuff I didn't even know I wanted to see. And, if you did, I wouldn't even be mad about it. I didn't even know I wanted to watch it.

Even if I did and was putting it off for some reason, I had three years to watch it. My life can be busy sometimes, but if I cared about watching Battlestar enough that I'd be angry over some guy casually mentioning a significant plot point, I'd have found the time to average 2 episodes a month over the last three years.

Agreed. Spoilerphobia over years-old stuff is really weird. If I care, I make sure to watch/read something in a timely manner so as to avoid the inevitable internet spoilers. It's just the nature of the online beast.
Roto13
Member
(03-12-2012, 08:30 PM)
Roto13's Avatar
Pretty much. Anything I really don't want spoiled, I watch as soon as possible. Like The Walking Dead or Lost. Both shows I really, really didn't want spoiled so I watched them as they aired.

I'm planning on watching that Spartacus series someday, but I don't care about spoilers too much so I'm not watching it right now. :P
Professor Beef
holds a doctorate in beef
(03-12-2012, 08:33 PM)
Professor Beef's Avatar
I too agree on a Statute of Limitations on spoilers.
Jarsonot
Member
(03-12-2012, 09:34 PM)
Jarsonot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Professor Beef

I too agree on a Statute of Limitations on spoilers.

I do and I don't. =)

Take the movie Sixth Sense, for example. That movie is far less enjoyable the first time you see it if you know the ending. It's a great moment.

Now that is a pretty old movie by now, and maybe most people "should have seen it" already, but I'll bet there are plenty of people who haven't, so why would I want to spoil the ending?

Maybe instead of a statute of limitations it should be some measurement of how pervasive the spoiler in question already is. I don't think it's a spoiler to say (star wars) Vader is Luke's dad because that is so well known in pop culture.

I dunno.
jarosh
has an official NeoGAF
license to hit you on
the head with a skillet
(03-12-2012, 09:44 PM)
jarosh's Avatar

Originally Posted by morningbus

Go ahead and spoil Paul Blart: Mall Cop. I dare you.

Look, I see the point you're making, and I'll answer honestly: I've seen everything from three years ago that I wanted to see. You'd have to spoil stuff I didn't even know I wanted to see. And, if you did, I wouldn't even be mad about it. I didn't even know I wanted to watch it.

Even if I did and was putting it off for some reason, I had three years to watch it. My life can be busy sometimes, but if I cared about watching Battlestar enough that I'd be angry over some guy casually mentioning a significant plot point, I'd have found the time to average 2 episodes a month over the last three years.

When does it become the responsibility of the other person? Can I not bring up Aeris' death either?

your argument only makes (the tiniest amount of) sense if everyone in the world was only interested in movies, tv shows and books in the most superficial way possible, only caring about the handful of big budget, over-hyped and over-marketed releases every year. or, taking it one step further, did movies and books not exist before you were born? or are those all fair game? or, wait, let me quote you again here:

Originally Posted by morningbus

Even if I did and was putting it off for some reason, I had three years to watch it. My life can be busy sometimes, but if I cared about watching Battlestar enough that I'd be angry over some guy casually mentioning a significant plot point, I'd have found the time to average 2 episodes a month over the last three years.

right, so, if there were a century worth of cinema to be interested in and movies did exist before you were born, you'd "have found the time" to watch - let's be conservative here - 1000 movies before, what, the age of 3? or let's be reasonable and extend it to the age of 18? and then let's throw books into the mix... thousands of years of writing: fair game! or alternatively: if you "cared" enough you'd have read all of them before anyone had "the chance to spoil them for you"! LOL!

or can you not fathom that people are interested in more things than they can possibly read/watch/do in a lifetime?
Last edited by jarosh; 03-12-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Anoregon
Member
(03-12-2012, 09:53 PM)
Anoregon's Avatar

Originally Posted by jarosh


or can you not fathom that people are interested in more things than they can possibly read/watch/do in a lifetime?

People can be interested in as many things as there are stars in the sky, and those things can be as old as said stars, but it's unrealistic and naive to expect something that might be general knowledge to a significant portion of the populace for years to continue to be treated as a secret.
OnPoint
Member
(03-12-2012, 09:55 PM)
OnPoint's Avatar

Originally Posted by Professor Beef

I too agree on a Statute of Limitations on spoilers.

If you're going to do that, it's going to have to be something high like ten or fifteen years.
faceless007
AAA ETHER
(03-12-2012, 09:57 PM)
Some films/books/works are so famous specifically for their twists that they have seeped into the mainstream cultural consciousness to such a degree that most people know them even if they've never seen the work, but that's a very small number of titles. Citizen Kane, Empire Strikes Back, Crying Game, Sixth Sense, Psycho all probably qualify, but it's obvious the vast majority of works that are even decades old are not like that. Most people don't know the ends of most Agatha Christie novels and they're a century old, so yes, you can't assume that everyone who wants to read them already has. So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to use spoiler tags for works that haven't reached that level of cultural consciousness. Really, is typing [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] really that much work?

Luckily, the mods agree with me:

When not to use spoilers
If a thread is specifically marked as post-game discussion, and spoilers are warned about in the title, there is no need to use spoiler tags regarding that topic inside the thread. There is no point having an entire thread filled with black bars if everyone is on the same page regarding what is expected in the thread. The same applies for threads about the sequels of existing games. If you have not played the previous game(s) in the series, it is probably not a good idea to wander into a thread about the latest game, especially if it is a direct sequel to a story-driven game. [Note: nothing there about the age of the work, and it's specifically restricted to threads about a specific work/series]

Mark spoilers appropriately
When posting spoilers about anything, always mark it properly. Using a spoiler tag alone is often not the best way because no one will know what you have hidden behind the tag without reading it first. Using proper marking can make it very helpful for others to know if they want to highlight the spoiler tag or not. Mixing spoiler tags with regular text in a single sentence is also often a bad idea when dealing with a story spoiler, especially if it makes it obvious.

trh
Nifty AND saffron-colored!
(03-12-2012, 10:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Jarsonot

I do and I don't. =)

Take the movie Sixth Sense, for example. That movie is far less enjoyable the first time you see it if you know the ending. It's a great moment.

Fun fact: In China The Sixth Sense was named He's a Ghost. China simply don't give a fuck.

Funnier fact: that previous fact might have actually been made up. I don't know. That's what I get for trusting Reddit, I guess.
Last edited by trh; 03-12-2012 at 10:05 PM.
morningbus
Member
(03-12-2012, 10:06 PM)
morningbus's Avatar

Originally Posted by jarosh

your argument only makes (the tiniest amount of) sense if everyone in the world was only interested in movies, tv shows and books in the most superficial way possible, only caring about the handful of big budget, over-hyped and over-marketed releases every year. or, taking it one step further, did movies and books not exist before you were born? or are those all fair game? or, wait, let me quote you again here:



right, so, if there were a century worth of cinema to be interested in and movies did exist before you were born, you'd "have found the time" to watch - let's be conservative here - 1000 movies before, what, the age of 3? or let's be reasonable and extend it to the age of 18? and then let's throw books into the mix... thousands of years of writing: fair game! or alternatively: if you "cared" enough you'd have read all of them before anyone had "the chance to spoil them for you"! LOL!

I don't really see the need to be so combative. I've been fairly respectful and honest in my replies.

Anyway, to answer your points, and obviously I can only speak for myself: yeah, I basically agree with the joking way you have extrapolated my logic. However, your argument rests on the idea that I'm interested in all things ever. I am not. I have a range of things I keep a general interest in, specific kinds of Science-Fiction let's say. I honestly doubt there is much out there that I actively know about, am considering consuming, am genuinely interested in, and is many years old, yet I haven't somehow found the time to watch/read. I'm being sincere here. You're not going to catch me in a situation where I'll go, "but, but, I was going to watch that 20 year old movie at some time in the future maybe - how dare you talk casually about it!"

I waste too much of my time to actually hold a "all things are spoilers" position. Every Sunday I choose to watch a terrible episode of the Simpsons instead of catching up on Silent Running, a movie you can spoil for me if you'd like. I've been meaning to see it, but honestly, I am probably never going to get around to it. I've had countless opportunities to watch it now and have consistently chosen not to.
H3xum
Member
(03-12-2012, 10:11 PM)
H3xum's Avatar

Originally Posted by The God of Nonexistence

.

F you, dude. Wow

I just added that to my Netflix
Lijik
Member
(03-12-2012, 10:14 PM)
Lijik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jarsonot

Take the movie Sixth Sense, for example. That movie is far less enjoyable the first time you see it if you know the ending. It's a great moment.

Now that is a pretty old movie by now, and maybe most people "should have seen it" already, but I'll bet there are plenty of people who haven't, so why would I want to spoil the ending?

Yeah I have to agree. Its rare to find someone who has no idea what the twist to that movie is, it almost feels like every one knows it by osmosis at this point (like Darth Vader being Luke's father). If someone somehow didn't, I personally wouldn't want to ruin it for them.

How much of the Battlestar Galactica hinges on that twist? I havent seen the series yet.
sn00zer
(03-12-2012, 10:21 PM)
sn00zer's Avatar
BACK ON TOPIC PEOPLE
btw does anyone know if Soul Caliber 5 has any connections to Tekken 6? Havent played either, but one of the stages in Soul Caliber 2 was used in Tekken 5 only hundreds of years later
Houston3000
(03-12-2012, 10:24 PM)
Houston3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by sn00zer

BACK ON TOPIC PEOPLE
btw does anyone know if Soul Caliber 5 has any connections to Tekken 6? Havent played either, but one of the stages in Soul Caliber 2 was used in Tekken 5 only hundreds of years later

Yoshimitsu is a major character in both series
Roto13
Member
(03-12-2012, 10:28 PM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Houston3000

Yoshimitsu is a major character in both series

They've been around for years and years, though.

I don't think there's anything new in SCV but I don't play Tekken.
Houston3000
(03-12-2012, 10:31 PM)
Houston3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

They've been around for years and years, though.

I don't think there's anything new in SCV but I don't play Tekken.

Well, Yoshimitsu was a Tekken character first. In SoulCalibur, Yoshimitsu is explained to actually be the descendant of the Yoshimitsu from Tekken.
randomlyrossy
Member
(03-12-2012, 11:06 PM)
randomlyrossy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lijik

How much of the Battlestar Galactica hinges on that twist? I havent seen the series yet.

None of it. It is literally something that happens in the last 30 seconds of the show, after all the real plot has been resolved.
Erigu
Member
(03-13-2012, 12:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Roto13

I don't think there's anything new in SCV but I don't play Tekken.

That thing about Mitsurugi's self-proclaimed 8th brother sounds fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried linking that guy to the Mishima.


Originally Posted by Houston3000

Well, Yoshimitsu was a Tekken character first. In SoulCalibur, Yoshimitsu is explained to actually be the descendant of the Yoshimitsu from Tekken.

The Yoshimitsu from Soulcalibur to Soulcalibur IV is the first Yoshimitsu, the one in Soulcalibur V is the second Yoshimitsu, and the one in the Tekken games is the ???th Yoshimitsu (supposing it's the same one throughout the entire series, anyway).
And it doesn't look like they're (necessarily?) related.
Last edited by Erigu; 03-13-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Roto13
Member
(03-13-2012, 12:40 AM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Erigu

That thing about Mitsurugi's self-proclaimed 8th brother sounds fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried linking that guy to the Mishima.



The Yoshimitsu from Soulcalibur to Soulcalibur IV is the first Yoshimitsu, the one in Soulcalibur V is the second Yoshimitsu, and the one in the Tekken games is the ???th Yoshimitsu (supposing it's the same one throughout the entire series, anyway).
And it doesn't look like they're (necessarily?) related.

"Yoshimitsu" is just the title of the leader of the Manjitou, whoever that is at the time.
RobotHaus
Member
(03-13-2012, 04:59 AM)
RobotHaus's Avatar

Originally Posted by sn00zer

BACK ON TOPIC PEOPLE
btw does anyone know if Soul Caliber 5 has any connections to Tekken 6? Havent played either, but one of the stages in Soul Caliber 2 was used in Tekken 5 only hundreds of years later

Which stage is this? I haven't played in a while and always love connections like that.

As for Tekken and SCV, I think there is Tekken fighting style in the CAS mode.
RelentlessRolento
Member
(03-13-2012, 05:09 AM)
RelentlessRolento's Avatar
Tekken and SC universe are one and the same, just different time periods...

Also Ehrgeiz is in the same universe as well. Ken "Godhand" Mishima is proof (development history is interesting on this one)



also, Urban Reign is considered the same universe as well... and it's a damn awesome game.

Link1110
Member
(03-13-2012, 06:06 AM)
Something I realized;

In the Sonic universe, the military is called GUN. That's named after a weapon, right? Wrong. It's not the English word gun, it's the Japanese word 軍 (pronounced like "goon" but with a shorter vowel) that means "military."
Watch Da Birdie
Member
(03-13-2012, 06:20 AM)
Watch Da Birdie's Avatar
I've heard that as well, although it's technically an acronym, G.U.N, meaning Guardian Units of Nations. :/
Roto13
Member
(03-13-2012, 06:21 AM)
Roto13's Avatar
It's probably an acronym meant to sound like the word for "military." Like all of those Marvel acronyms. :P S.H.I.E.L.D., S.W.O.R.D., H.A.M.M.E.R. which they never even bothered to explain. :P
Houston3000
(03-13-2012, 07:22 AM)
Houston3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

It's probably an acronym meant to sound like the word for "military." Like all of those Marvel acronyms. :P S.H.I.E.L.D., S.W.O.R.D., H.A.M.M.E.R. which they never even bothered to explain. :P

S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.W.O.R.D. stand for something. I think S.H.I.E.L.D. changed a few times over the years and even means something totally new in the recent movies but it's something with Secret, Intelligence, Espionage, Defense... somethin

H.A.M.M.E.R., on the other hand, is left intentionally vague, I don't think I ever heard what that stands for.
Roto13
Member
(03-13-2012, 05:20 PM)
Roto13's Avatar
Yeah, SWORD and SHIELD are proper acronyms. They never bothered to explain what HAMMER stands for. They just gave up trying to shoehorn a meaning into a cool acronym. :P
The God of Nonexistence
Member
(03-13-2012, 09:41 PM)
The God of Nonexistence's Avatar
I never knew Arbok has different patterns in different regions of the world.

Kaizen
Member
(03-13-2012, 09:45 PM)
Kaizen's Avatar

Originally Posted by The God of Nonexistence

I never knew Arbok has different patterns in different regions of the world.


pokemon facts redeemed.
TheOGB
Shots Shots Shots
(03-13-2012, 09:52 PM)
TheOGB's Avatar
Hoenn Arbok is the bossest

that is a word now
Robin64
Member
(03-13-2012, 09:55 PM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by The God of Nonexistence

I never knew Arbok has different patterns in different regions of the world.

http://i.imgur.com/mxlO1.jpg

Holy crap. That's a new one to me. Well done sir. Thread redeemed!
The Dutch Slayer
Member
(03-13-2012, 09:57 PM)
The Dutch Slayer's Avatar

Originally Posted by The God of Nonexistence

I never knew Arbok has different patterns in different regions of the world.

Also IT HAS A FRINKING FACE :O #LTTP on that one but still IT HAS A FACE :P.
Roto13
Member
(03-13-2012, 10:02 PM)
Roto13's Avatar
That's really cool. The sprites don't always match the artwork, but the little differences are still there.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Arbok#Sprites

It'd be cool if the pattern actually stayed with the Pokemon when you transferred it to other games. I'd love to have an army of Arboks from each region!
RagnarokX
(03-13-2012, 10:09 PM)
RagnarokX's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Dutch Slayer

Also IT HAS A FRINKING FACE :O #LTTP on that one but still IT HAS A FACE :P.

So do real cobras.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(03-13-2012, 10:18 PM)
Kanto's the only non-derpy one.

That is mildly mindblowing.
Platy
Member
(03-14-2012, 12:29 AM)
Platy's Avatar

Originally Posted by RelentlessRolento

also, Urban Reign is considered the same universe as well... and it's a damn awesome game.

And you can unlock Paul and Law ... besides the fact that there are lots of fighters that take direct animations from the tekken franchise. The most obvious being the capoeira fighting style

And yes, saddly underrated game
Dr. Feel Good
Member
(03-14-2012, 12:49 AM)
Dr. Feel Good's Avatar
Bulbapedia has interesting trivia on each Pokemon that people who enjoy the games might get a kick out of. They aren't mind blowing by any means but still fun to kill time reading. Things like Clefairy was supposed to be Ash's starter in the anime, Golem being the only Pokemon not seen in generation 1, and the many references to the Pokemon world to our world, etc.
Jasoco
Banned
(03-14-2012, 12:53 AM)
Jasoco's Avatar

Originally Posted by Houston3000

S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.W.O.R.D. stand for something. I think S.H.I.E.L.D. changed a few times over the years and even means something totally new in the recent movies but it's something with Secret, Intelligence, Espionage, Defense... somethin

H.A.M.M.E.R., on the other hand, is left intentionally vague, I don't think I ever heard what that stands for.

The H.A.M.M.E.R. is my penis.
Utako
Banned
(03-14-2012, 12:56 AM)

Originally Posted by The God of Nonexistence

I never knew Arbok has different patterns in different regions of the world.

I saw this somewhere a long time ago. Really cool touch. I love it when Pokémon imitates nature in a Playskool fashion.
Watch Da Birdie
Member
(03-14-2012, 01:08 AM)
Watch Da Birdie's Avatar

Things like Clefairy was supposed to be Ash's starter in the anime

Yeah, apparently Clefairy was originally going to be the franchise mascot. However, the mention of it being a "last minute change" in the Anime's pilot episode seems a bit false. Considering how it takes awhile to produce an episode, I doubt they suddenly at the last minute substituted Clefairy with Pikachu.

That's why in the original Pokemon manga, Kosaku Anakubo's Pocket Monsters (which is the longest running manga, even beating out Special) Red has that creepy Clefairy as his main Pokemon.



On a simillar note, the reason that Red in Pokemon Special has Poliwhirl as his starter is because it's Satoshi Tajirii's favorite Pokemon.
Imm0rt4l
(03-14-2012, 01:19 AM)
Imm0rt4l's Avatar

Originally Posted by RelentlessRolento

Tekken and SC universe are one and the same, just different time periods...

Also Ehrgeiz is in the same universe as well. Ken "Godhand" Mishima is proof (development history is interesting on this one)



also, Urban Reign is considered the same universe as well... and it's a damn awesome game.

Ehrgeiz isn't the same universe, its not canon. I'm pretty sure that namco doesn't even own the rights to the character godhand mishima. That should be dreamfactory if I'm not mistaken.
Sagitario
Member
(03-14-2012, 08:07 AM)
Sagitario's Avatar
All this talk about spoiler etiquette reminded me of this: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/67...-spoiler-rules :D
Trancetronic
Member
(03-14-2012, 09:30 AM)
Trancetronic's Avatar
I always used to think Ghirahim was a reference to A Link to the Past's Agahnim.

They're both bluish greyish with similar color schemes on their clothes, both have magic, and are both used by the main villain as a puppet or a resurrection of some sort at the end of the game.

And also the name appears to be an anagram as well.




Professor Beef
holds a doctorate in beef
(03-14-2012, 09:32 AM)
Professor Beef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trancetronic

And also the name appears to be an anagram as well.

...Where's the "n?" And the "a?"
Trancetronic
Member
(03-14-2012, 09:42 AM)
Trancetronic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Professor Beef

...Where's the "n?" And the "a?"

Well it's a slight reference :P
jaxword
Member
(03-14-2012, 09:47 AM)
jaxword's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trancetronic

Well it's a slight reference :P

Before Skyward sword came out, I always thought he looked like Vaati.

Mzo
Member
(03-14-2012, 10:18 AM)
Mzo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sagitario

All this talk about spoiler etiquette reminded me of this: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/67...-spoiler-rules :D

Sounds about right. A year at the most is what I'd say.

I would also say to stop being so psycho about spoilers.

Thread Tools