• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

RoadDogg

Someone sent me this:

"Just wanted to let you know, there are "multiple" endings for Zelda: A Link to the Past.
There are various minor things that you can do in the game that will effect the credits. I forget what they all are, but the one that comes to mind at is the old lady who's sweeping in Kakariko Village. If you sprinkle her with Magic Powder, she'll turn into a fairy and this'll be reflected when the screen scrolls by her house during the credits."

Has anyone ever tried this? I tried it, but by the time you can get to the last boss, everyone in the village is gone since it's full of guards. And I doubt that even if you do it before everyone is gone, it wouldn't work since the game would just reset any changes you've made once you leave the village.
My guess is that it's fake.

I found this 8 year old gamefaqs thread with the same question. Whoever sent you that got it from an old faq that says the same thing nearly word for word. Seems to be incorrect.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588436-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past/41060580

ReyVGM

Hehe, that's actually my faq. I was updating it yesterday after 11 years and I wanted to check that contribution. Hard to believe that the last time I updated my ending faq Twilight Princess wasn't out, youtube, Facebook, and Twitter didn't even exist as we know them.

Jackano

Watching the GCCX episode about Super Chinese / Kung-Fu Heroes...

1-1 BGM is said to sounds like like some kind of japanese boys band called Tokyo Shocks Boys but it is also definitely FF7's Electric de Chocobo if you asks me!

There are only two human enemies in the entirety of Final Fantasy V:

Forza and Magissa
vnkBMqV.png
1nrq5Ui.jpg

Thus making it the mainline FF installment in which you kill the least amount of humans (you can even manage to kill only Magissa if you defeat her before she summons her husband Forza into the fight).

I might be the only one whose mind this blew, but this is something I just realized today:

Metroid_Item_Ice_Beam.png

This is not a weird frowning creature seen from the front with one giant bulbous blue eye. It's a not-that-weird lizard-like creature seen from the side with an orb in its mouth.
Anyone else ever see it the way I used to, or am I alone?

I've never seen it your way before, but now I can't unsee it. :p

Okay wait I might be going insane here but this song from 1988 https://youtu.be/Gdm0Ezr_J3w DEFINITELY has influenced a silent hill song right? I just can't for the life of me pin point which song it is.

The artist is Iron Curtain I believe.

Er... which part of this reminds you of Silent Hill, exactly?

I might be the only one whose mind this blew, but this is something I just realized today:

This is not a weird frowning creature seen from the front with one giant bulbous blue eye. It's a not-that-weird lizard-like creature seen from the side with an orb in its mouth.

I've always seen as intended, however!

... trying to see it your way I ended up sort of seeing it like some weird lizard body the the head looking left and him holding the orb with one of its arms. Antenna on top of the head slumping downward, long nose, protruding chin...

There are only two human enemies in the entirety of Final Fantasy V:

Forza and Magissa
vnkBMqV.png
1nrq5Ui.jpg

Thus making it the mainline FF installment in which you kill the least amount of humans (you can even manage to kill only Magissa if you defeat her before she summons her husband Forza into the fight).
Are you sure about that? Just a cursory glance at the FF5 bestiary shows a bunch of enemies that can pass for human.

cAT5ALx.png

There are some around that might be more monsterous than they let on, like the Samurai looks clearly inhuman in his FF15 redesign, but I don't know if that was the case back in FF5's days too. Forza looks the least human from that entire line-up if I'm honest.

Are you sure about that? Just a cursory glance at the FF5 bestiary shows a bunch of enemies that can pass for human.

cAT5ALx.png

There are some around that might be more monsterous than they let on, like the Samurai looks clearly inhuman in his FF15 redesign, but I don't know if that was the case back in FF5's days too. Forza looks the least human from that entire line-up if I'm honest.

There's no official statement or anything, but these humanoid enemies appear in locations that storywise shouldn't contain normal humans (sealed ruins, underwater castles, etc.). Forza and Magissa on the other hand are hunters that you meet on a normal mountain and who can talk. Most other mainline FFs have more "obvious" human enemies like the Baron guards from IV, the Imperial soldiers from II and VI, the knights from I and II, etc.

Looks like a guy in a fishbowl helmet with a red suit

IAmMonodi

Maybe this has been already discussed, but here goes:

In Pokemon: Origins we may see a much better explanation of how Pokemon League gyms work. In the episode Red fights Brock, the latter asks him how many badges he already has, after Red makes it obvious he is a fresh rookie, Brock picks up two Pokemon out of many on set.

o4.jpg

This means the leaders are already grand experts on the field, possibly picked from the elite of the League to represent a city of the region, so they accomodate to a suitable challenge of the people arriving to develop more and better trainers. Onix and Geodude are the ones fit for starters. You may remember in Gen II that once you arrive to Kanto and take the challenge of the gyms, all the leaders have very high leveled Pokemon on the team because you already champed the Indigo Plateau, so they do not need to hold back on you, hence why Brock has Kabutops, Omastar, and others instead.

The Pokémon games are played on the eyes of a specific trainer from a specific town, not everybody is born in Pallet Town, so maybe a rookie starting in Saffron City, for example, would be fighting against maybe one Abra and Drowzee of kevels 9 and 12 respectively.

This is exactly why they are called gyms, they are designed to make better trainers from every corner of the region.

I really like Pokémon.

Maybe this has been already discussed, but here goes:

In Pokemon: Origins we may see a much better explanation of how Pokemon League gyms work. In the episode Red fights Brock, the latter asks him how many badges he already has, after Red makes it obvious he is a fresh rookie, Brock picks up two Pokemon out of many on set.

o4.jpg

This means the leaders are already grand experts on the field, possibly picked from the elite of the League to represent a city of the region, so they accomodate to a suitable challenge of the people arriving to develop more and better trainers. Onix and Geodude are the ones fit for starters. You may remember in Gen II that once you arrive to Kanto and take the challenge of the gyms, all the leaders have very high leveled Pokemon on the team because you already champed the Indigo Plateau, so they do not need to hold back on you, hence why Brock has Kabutops, Omastar, and others instead.

The Pokémon games are played on the eyes of a specific trainer from a specific town, not everybody is born in Pallet Town, so maybe a rookie starting in Saffron City, for example, would be fighting against maybe one Abra and Drowzee of kevels 9 and 12 respectively.

This is exactly why they are called gyms, they are designed to make better trainers from every corner of the region.

I really like Pokémon.

This was already kinda hinted at in the Gen 4 games, where Gym Leader rematches had them having teams of 5-6 Pokemon in/around Level 60.

Mike M

Nick N
Raibows have 7 colors. So robo is replacing and adding its own color.

Indigo is a tertiary color while the others are primary and secondary. Its inclusion by Isaac Newton while the other tertiary colors were excluded was entirely arbitrary because he had some wackadoodle belief that seven colors were needed to make white. Many many many depictions of rainbows only use the six primary and secondary colors, whereas real rainbows contain the entire visible spectrum of color if you want to get granular enough. There's no reason to include indigo outside of "it's always been that way," which is about on par with being annoyed that modern depictions of dinosaurs have feathers or that Pluto got downgraded to a dwarf planet.

Indigo is a tertiary color while the others are primary and secondary. Its inclusion by Isaac Newton while the other tertiary colors were excluded was entirely arbitrary because he had some wackadoodle belief that seven colors were needed to make white. Many many many depictions of rainbows only use the six primary and secondary colors, whereas real rainbows contain the entire visible spectrum of color if you want to get granular enough. There's no reason to include indigo outside of "it's always been that way," which is about on par with being annoyed that modern depictions of dinosaurs have feathers or that Pluto got downgraded to a dwarf planet.

Wrong. ROYGBIV

Mike M

Nick N
Wrong. ROYGBIV

Oh boy, you sure showed me.

Oh wait, no you didn't.

wikipedia said:
Modern sources place indigo in the spectrum between 420 and 450 nanometers,[1][7][8] which lies on the short-wave side of color wheel (RGB) blue, towards (spectral) violet. However, the correspondence of this definition with colors of actual indigo dyes is disputed. Optical scientists Hardy and Perrin list indigo as between 446 and 464 nm wavelength,[9] which occupies a spectrum segment from roughly the color wheel (RGB) blue extending to the long-wave side, towards azure.

Isaac Newton introduced indigo as one of the seven base colors of his work. In the mid-1660s, when Newton bought a pair of prisms at a fair near Cambridge, the East India Company had begun importing indigo dye into England,[10] supplanting the homegrown woad as source of blue dye. In a pivotal experiment in the history of optics, the young Newton shone a narrow beam of sunlight through a prism to produce a rainbow-like band of colors on the wall. In describing this optical spectrum, Newton acknowledged that the spectrum had a continuum of colors, but named seven: "The originall or primary colours are Red, yellow, Green, Blew, & a violet purple; together with Orang, Indico, & an indefinite varietie of intermediate gradations."[11] He linked the seven prismatic colors to the seven notes of a western major scale,[12] as shown in his color wheel, with orange and indigo as the semitones. Having decided upon seven colors, he asked a friend to repeatedly divide up the spectrum that was projected from the prism onto the wall:

"I desired a friend to draw with a pencil lines cross the image, or pillar of colours, where every one of the seven aforenamed colours was most full and brisk, and also where he judged the truest confines of them to be, whilst I held the paper so, that the said image might fall within a certain compass marked on it. And this I did, partly because my own eyes are not very critical in distinguishing colours, partly because another, to whom I had not communicated my thoughts about this matter, could have nothing but his eyes to determine his fancy in making those marks."[13]

Indigo is therefore counted as one of the traditional colors of the rainbow, the order of which is given by the mnemonic Roy G. Biv. James Clerk Maxwell and Hermann von Helmholtz accepted indigo as an appropriate name for the color flanking violet in the spectrum.[14]

Later scientists conclude that Newton named the colors differently from current usage.[15][16] According to Gary Waldman, "A careful reading of Newton's work indicates that the color he called indigo, we would normally call blue; his blue is then what we would name blue-green, cyan or light blue."[17]

The human eye does not readily differentiate hues in the wavelengths between blue and violet. If this is where Newton meant indigo to lie, most individuals would have difficulty distinguishing indigo from its neighbors. According to Isaac Asimov, "It is customary to list indigo as a color lying between blue and violet, but it has never seemed to me that indigo is worth the dignity of being considered a separate color. To my eyes it seems merely deep blue."[18]

Modern color scientists typically divide the spectrum between violet and blue at about 450 nm, with no indigo.[19][20]

What we call blue, Newton called indigo, and what we call cyan, he called blue. Regardless, the point remains that a tertiary color was included for arbitrary, frankly stupid reasons. There's no reason to include indigo outside of appeal to tradition fallacies.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

Holy shit. I can't even see it the original way now.

Cheerilee

Science has lied to us too many times. It's why truthiness is on the rise and we have Donald Trump.

AGoodODST

I'm playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire at the moment and just realised the male character doesn't have white hair and that it is in fact a hat.

I played the shit out of the GBA game and always thought it was his hair.

Oh boy, you sure showed me.

Oh wait, no you didn't.

What we call blue, Newton called indigo, and what we call cyan, he called blue. Regardless, the point remains that a tertiary color was included for arbitrary, frankly stupid reasons. There's no reason to include indigo outside of appeal to tradition fallacies.

I always knew Indigo in the list of rainbow colors was a sham for some reason.

Jaeger

Sonic may actually not be a hedgehog, as hedgehogs are never blue and their eyes each have separate sockets.

Mickey Mouse may not actually be a mouse! Mice do not have hairless fleshy skin around their nose and mouth and their tails are hairless and much thicker.

Hey, whysoserious.gif?

Steejee

That makes way more sense then the way I always saw it - I always saw it as a head in profile looking left, with the lizard eye still being the eye, but facing left instead. I saw the same frown/growl mouth as you, but the orb in the upper right was in the back of the thing's head. Little kid me got pretty creative with interpreting 8 bit graphics.

The hair colors of the Chrono Trigger cast match all six colors of the rainbow, except Robo who doesn't have hair.

gvV18LX.png

Robo's color is UV (or IR), hence why we can't see it =)

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Everyone knows that Arnold Schwarzenegger was at one time the highest grossing actor in the world, which he owed to his many roles in high profile action movies during their heyday, the 1980's.
Reagan%2BSchwarzenegger1984.jpg

Bill Paxton is an actor that I don't think of as being associated so closely with action movies, though he has been in quite a number of them. Surprisingly, he has appeared in more than a few with Arnold Schwarzenegger. While many may be aware that he was in True Lies, where he played this ridiculous motherfucker:
moA0Gi4.jpg

Before that he was in another Schwarzenegger fueled action classic, Commando, where he played the guy that Clint Howard later played in Austin Powers 2:
5Rd7Lwy.jpg

And while he doesn't appear with Schwarzenegger on screen, he starred as that annoying cop in the sequel to Schwarzenegger's Predator in Predator 2:
Tu5oi6A.jpg

His most notable action movie role is probably in Aliens, where he played this unbearable ass:
Cv2Z6wi.jpg

And while it may not seem like it, this is also due to his Schwarzenegger connection. His casting in Aliens is likely due to his relationship with James Cameron, whom he met while working on the original Terminator:
Alright, you may be thinking "there's no Bill Paxton there," so I encourage you to take another look:
fEvaoFU.jpg

Just look at that tooth gap! Who else could it be?

Another actor famous for his ultra masculine roles in testosterone fueled 80's movies is Jean Claude van Damme:
rxwpjNn.jpg

In fact, Van Damme was so well associated with pretending to beat people's asses that he was pegged for a starring role in the ass beating simulator Mortal Kombat:
MIzCen4.jpg

Er, wait a minute
There we go.
Anyway, Mortal Kombat took influence from a great many martial arts movies from the 70's and 80's, and it's star was going to be Jean Claude van Damme. However, when he pulled out of the agreement his character was turned into Johnny Cage. But, besides martial arts movies, Mortal Kombat also took influence from the unavoidably monolithic filmography of Arnold Schwarzenegger, basing the appearance of the character Kano on the Terminator:
PkHV1jb.jpg

PKphP92.jpg

Mortal Kombat its self became unavoidably monolithic, spawning toys, comic books cartoons, and even movies. In the movie, Trevor Goddard played Kano:
57xuoFv.jpg

The first Mortal Kombat movie had money for one big name actor, and instead of doing the logical thing and having Jean Claude van Damme play Johnny Cage, they had this guy do it:
MIzCen4.jpg

Ah, okay, that's where he belongs.
Anyway, they spent their actor budget on Christopher Lambert; at some point someone decided that he should play Raiden. The movie was an unprecedented success, and spawned a sequel which starred even more unknowns, including this guy:

72JjYaT.jpg

You don't know who that guy is, but his name is Brian Thompson, and he had minor roles in action movies like Sylvester Stallone's version of Beverly Hills Cop, which he called Cobra:
X6UISu7.jpg

Having looked at him twice in a row, you're probably saying to yourself "that guy looks kind of familiar," and you're right, because you also saw him further up in this post:
I know what you're thinking: "I KNEW that wasn't Bill Paxton!"
NO! Not the blue haired guy, the guy next to him. That's Brian Thompson.
Now, you'll notice up there that one of the pictures of Brian Thompson has him playing Shao Kahn, a character in Mortal Kombat. You'll also remember that another Mortal Kombat character was based on the Terminator, but it was more than just Kano's appearance that was based on the murderous machine; Mortal Kombat is famous for letting you brutally murder your opponent at the end of a fight, a special move which the makers of the game call a fatality. Here is Kano's fatality:
Kano Heart Rip
Now here's the scene in Terminator that that move is based on:
Terminator heart rip

That's right. Shao Kahn was the first Mortal Kombat character ever to suffer a fatality, and it happened 8 years before the first game even came out.

Saw this on reddit. There is a misplaced pixel on the W in Super Mario World. Misflame me if old.

5cyqE0C.png

kf5gtuik3bmx.png

The Japanese version of the title screen has a slightly different logo, with a more pronounced drop shadow (in addition to the lettering changes, and tiny notches taken out of the wood border), looks like they missed a pixel when editing it.

ZpKNzG6.png
uyPabrY.png

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
As bad as it may look, considering I also quoted myself in the Mindblowing Actor Stuff thread, I'm gonna repost this so that it doesn't get lost at the bottom of a random page:

Everyone knows that Arnold Schwarzenegger was at one time the highest grossing actor in the world, which he owed to his many roles in high profile action movies during their heyday, the 1980's.
Reagan%2BSchwarzenegger1984.jpg

Bill Paxton is an actor that I don't think of as being associated so closely with action movies, though he has been in quite a number of them. Surprisingly, he has appeared in more than a few with Arnold Schwarzenegger. While many may be aware that he was in True Lies, where he played this ridiculous motherfucker:
moA0Gi4.jpg

Before that he was in another Schwarzenegger fueled action classic, Commando, where he played the guy that Clint Howard later played in Austin Powers 2:
5Rd7Lwy.jpg

And while he doesn't appear with Schwarzenegger on screen, he starred as that annoying cop in the sequel to Schwarzenegger's Predator in Predator 2:
Tu5oi6A.jpg

His most notable action movie role is probably in Aliens, where he played this unbearable ass:
Cv2Z6wi.jpg

And while it may not seem like it, this is also due to his Schwarzenegger connection. His casting in Aliens is likely due to his relationship with James Cameron, whom he met while working on the original Terminator:
Alright, you may be thinking "there's no Bill Paxton there," so I encourage you to take another look:
fEvaoFU.jpg

Just look at that tooth gap! Who else could it be?

Another actor famous for his ultra masculine roles in testosterone fueled 80's movies is Jean Claude van Damme:
rxwpjNn.jpg

In fact, Van Damme was so well associated with pretending to beat people's asses that he was pegged for a starring role in the ass beating simulator Mortal Kombat:
MIzCen4.jpg

Er, wait a minute
There we go.
Anyway, Mortal Kombat took influence from a great many martial arts movies from the 70's and 80's, and it's star was going to be Jean Claude van Damme. However, when he pulled out of the agreement his character was turned into Johnny Cage. But, besides martial arts movies, Mortal Kombat also took influence from the unavoidably monolithic filmography of Arnold Schwarzenegger, basing the appearance of the character Kano on the Terminator:
PkHV1jb.jpg

PKphP92.jpg

Mortal Kombat its self became unavoidably monolithic, spawning toys, comic books cartoons, and even movies. In the movie, Trevor Goddard played Kano:
57xuoFv.jpg

The first Mortal Kombat movie had money for one big name actor, and instead of doing the logical thing and having Jean Claude van Damme play Johnny Cage, they had this guy do it:
MIzCen4.jpg

Ah, okay, that's where he belongs.
Anyway, they spent their actor budget on Christopher Lambert; at some point someone decided that he should play Raiden. The movie was an unprecedented success, and spawned a sequel which starred even more unknowns, including this guy:

72JjYaT.jpg

You don't know who that guy is, but his name is Brian Thompson, and he had minor roles in action movies like Sylvester Stallone's version of Beverly Hills Cop, which he called Cobra:
X6UISu7.jpg

Having looked at him twice in a row, you're probably saying to yourself "that guy looks kind of familiar," and you're right, because you also saw him further up in this post:
I know what you're thinking: "I KNEW that wasn't Bill Paxton!"
NO! Not the blue haired guy, the guy next to him. That's Brian Thompson.
Now, you'll notice up there that one of the pictures of Brian Thompson has him playing Shao Kahn, a character in Mortal Kombat. You'll also remember that another Mortal Kombat character was based on the Terminator, but it was more than just Kano's appearance that was based on the murderous machine; Mortal Kombat is famous for letting you brutally murder your opponent at the end of a fight, a special move which the makers of the game call a fatality. Here is Kano's fatality:
Kano Heart Rip
Now here's the scene in Terminator that that move is based on:
Terminator heart rip

That's right. Shao Kahn was the first Mortal Kombat character ever to suffer a fatality, and it happened 8 years before the first game even came out.

Erigu

As bad as it may look, considering I also quoted myself in the Mindblowing Actor Stuff thread, I'm gonna repost this so that it doesn't get lost at the bottom of a random page:
Dude... Yes. Yes, it looks bad.

(Not sure how Schwarzenegger or Paxton were relevant here anyway... Seems to me you could have just said "hey, in The Terminator, the robot who inspired Kano ripped the heart of an actor who played Shao Khan, almost like a Fatality, ain't that crazy?!" And it's really not that crazy, in my opinion.)

batbeg

Dude... Yes. Yes, it looks bad.

(Not sure how Schwarzenegger or Paxton were relevant here anyway... Seems to me you could have just said "hey, in The Terminator, the robot who inspired Kano ripped the heart of an actor who played Shao Khan, almost like a Fatality, ain't that crazy?!" And it's really not that crazy, in my opinion.)

Nah, that was a cool and worthy post, thanks for sharing! It felt like it led up to a punchline by being so irrelevant to video games at first lol

tornjaw

I've already sent my angry letter to Nintendo asking for a refund. You can get a refund after 26 years, right?

When Nintendo found out I'd played for over 50 hours they were hedging a bit, but they eventually gave me a one time refund on good faith.

Top Bottom