• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Amalthea

Banned
KevinCow said:
Pac-Man is a game where you wander aimlessly through a maze of dark, featureless corridors, relentlessly chased by the undead. Your combat abilities against them are minimal, and your ammunition extremely limited - there are only four per map. Even if you do "kill" your enemies, they are not truly dead, merely slightly inconvenienced. They can never be truly killed, and live for the sole purpose of hunting you until you're dead.

Do you get what I'm saying? Pac-Man is the first survival horror game.

Wasn't the first Alien game a Pac-Man clone?

Anyway, someone should do a 3D-Pac Man in the vein of Dead Space! :lol

danmaku

I searched the thread and found nothing, so here's something about Bayonetta:

towards the end of the game the player is shown a scheme of the "angelic" and "demonic" alphabets, which are used in some of the game's graphic elements (like the red ribbon Byonetta wears in her hair). When I first saw the "angelic" one I had a little deja vù... like I already saw those letters before. So I checked on wikipedia and... holy shit, it's really Enochian.

And even more shocking, the unintelligible language used by the angels during the game cutscenes is nothing else than Enochian!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enochian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dee

http://platinumgames.com/2009/12/11/butmoni-coronzon-from-the-mouth-of-the-witch/

It's really incredible that they went as far as using a real 16th century magical language for the game's voice acting when some random gibberish would've been more than enough.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Hilbert said:
Mine isn't very good, but I think the World Map Music for Final Fantasy II (SNES) is very similar to the theme music from the Charlton Heston Movie, "The Omega Man"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k1GJlWFdHY (Omega Man)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dmXzqgkc4
(Final Fantasy)

Not even close I can assure you, I am not sure how big you are in music but I could explain it in theory as to why its not possible, but trust me there is a few notes that are the same but the progressions are different, the tempo is different, all in all it is just a VERY vague comparison

Wark

Yackie said:
se7im9.jpg

I'd love it if they could somehow use that art style for a Pac-Man game. It probably wouldn't be very practical, but it'd probably look really cool.

bjork

KevinCow said:
Pac-Man is a game where you wander aimlessly through a maze of dark, featureless corridors, relentlessly chased by the undead. Your combat abilities against them are minimal, and your ammunition extremely limited - there are only four per map. Even if you do "kill" your enemies, they are not truly dead, merely slightly inconvenienced. They can never be truly killed, and live for the sole purpose of hunting you until you're dead.

http://www.sydlexia.com/pac-nihilism.htm

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
lsslave said:
Not even close I can assure you, I am not sure how big you are in music but I could explain it in theory as to why its not possible, but trust me there is a few notes that are the same but the progressions are different, the tempo is different, all in all it is just a VERY vague comparison

I am not into music, they just sound very similar to me, and it was the crux of a practical joke I played on my roommate a few years ago.

Wark

Solstice said:
Also, what with all the princess debate, am I the only one who thinks Peach is a freak in the sack? I mean, seriously, I think there's more to her than that innocent princess exterior.

You gotta know Mario isn't going through all of that trouble for nothing, man.

The two fairies in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask are called Tatl and Tael. I love Majora's Mask, and I've played through it about 4 or 5 times, yet I only realised a few days ago that put together, they're "tattletale".

DeadTrees

KevinCow said:
If we're going to be that loose about it, you'd have to count Adventure, especially the randomized mode.

642621-rhindle_large.jpg

Red dragon = Nemesis prototype.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Ben2749 said:
The two fairies in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask are called Tatl and Tael. I love Majora's Mask, and I've played through it about 4 or 5 times, yet I only realised a few days ago that put together, they're "tattletale".

This is about the twentieth time this has been mentioned in this thread :lol

SovanJedi said:
Well I assume people who know Pokemon well enough are aware of the whole Kadabra thing and his relation to a UK spoon-bending celebrity, but while Nintendo are keen to move away from that reasoning for its design due to lawsuit issues, there is one Pokemon that is almost certainly based on an actual person.

Wobbuffet is supposedly based on late Japanese comedian Sanpei Hayashiya, whose catchphrase is to place his hand to his forehead in a salute and to say "That's the way it is, madam!" or "It is so, madam!". This is evident in the regular pose Wobbuffet holds during much of its time outside of the Pokeball where it appears to be saluting, and also by the comedian's catchphrase - the Japanese translation of his catchphrase is "Sō nansu, okusan!", and Wobbuffet's Japanese name is Sonansu, so its name roughly means "It is so!"

Also, its pre-evolved form is a play on said catchphrase - Wynaut's Japanese name is Sonano, which roughly translates to "Is it so?", so the two Pokemon's Japanese names are pretty much a back-and-forth between each other ("Is it so? It is so!"). This time however the English name tries to reflect on it somewhat (Wynaut = "Why not?")

Not really mindblowing but I was curious about the origin of this Pokemon's design considering how it looks like an upside-down testicle and made me wonder what the fuck Creatures and Game Inc. were smoking by this point. So, there you go.

Sonano? =o

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Probably not a revelation to many here but i never realized this before.. Soulcalibur is soul and excalibur made into one word. Dont ask me why i never noticed :lol

FoxSpirit

danmaku said:
I searched the thread and found nothing, so here's something about Bayonetta:

towards the end of the game the player is shown a scheme of the "angelic" and "demonic" alphabets, which are used in some of the game's graphic elements (like the red ribbon Byonetta wears in her hair). When I first saw the "angelic" one I had a little deja vù... like I already saw those letters before. So I checked on wikipedia and... holy shit, it's really Enochian.

And even more shocking, the unintelligible language used by the angels during the game cutscenes is nothing else than Enochian!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enochian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dee

http://platinumgames.com/2009/12/11/butmoni-coronzon-from-the-mouth-of-the-witch/

It's really incredible that they went as far as using a real 16th century magical language for the game's voice acting when some random gibberish would've been more than enough.

I wonder why people are not more impressed by this find o_O

ReyVGM

The Arcade version of Final Fight has an extra ending screen if you beat it using one credit. It's just caricature faces of the programmers with their names on the side though.

But on the Japanese version, you actually get a bunch of messages from them. Capcom fails.

finfightj-22.png
finfightj-24.png

finfightj-25.png
finfightj-26.png

Here's an interesting one for you

Wario and Waluigi are based off Anime characters designed by Yoshitaka Amano

2z4hity.jpg
2ymeope.jpg

2egd534.jpg

A defining and shared attribute being Waluigi and his Carrot Nose.

bengraven

Choppasmith said:
Here's an interesting one for you

Wario and Waluigi are based off Anime characters designed by Yoshitaka Amano

2z4hity.jpg
2ymeope.jpg

2egd534.jpg

A defining and shared attribute being Waluigi and his Carrot Nose.

Um. Proof?

I suppose it's too simple an answer that they are darker versions of Mario and Luigi?

bengraven said:
Um. Proof?

I suppose it's too simple an answer that they are darker versions of Mario and Luigi?

No, not exactly "from the creator's mouth" kind of proof, it's been widely regarded by Japanese fans in similar vein to the hidden Star Wars references/homages in FF games. It's more so for Boyacky/Waluigi than Wario (I guess that'd be pushing it) because they both share the EXACT SAME iconic Pointy nose and long thin mustache pointing out and upward.

6teng9.jpg

I just thought the Amano/Mario characters connection would be interesting to show.

Mak

Those are Tatsunoko characters that Team Rocket from Pokemon are based on right?

Choppasmith said:

While on those two, there were characters in The Wind Waker based on Wario and Waluigi

armosknightfig.jpg
obli.jpg

Mak said:
Those are Tatsunoko characters that Team Rocket from Pokemon are based on right?

While on those two, there were characters in The Wind Waker based on Wario and Waluigi

armosknightfig.jpg
obli.jpg

Wow! I don't know how I missed that when playing WW.

$200

Banned
Ok, so I've just been told that you can touch the vine below you while hanging on the parrot without hurting yourself in DKC2.

dkc2wtf.png

Can anyone please confirm if it's true.

wondermega

I suspect it has been mentioned already, but even if so not sure many have seen it with 92 PAGES of this thread!

As mentioned in a podcast recently, Silent Hill was so named because:

Survival Horror
Silent Hill

Merry Xmas!

Gravijah

Reading this thread as if everyone is stoned is really amusing. Someone will say something mindblowing, and then it's like 20 posts of "OH MY GOD" "FUUUUU-" etc and it amuses the shit out of me.

Unicorn

Gravijah said:
Reading this thread as if everyone is stoned is really amusing. Someone will say something mindblowing, and then it's like 20 posts of "OH MY GOD" "FUUUUU-" etc and it amuses the shit out of me.
Are YOU stoned?

Gravijah said:
:lol :lol

Gravijah said:

I'm trying that and it is fun

HUELEN10

Gravijah said:
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Effect

KevinCow said:

Wow. I never looked at Pac-man that way but it most certainly fits.

ReyVGM

The MSX1 version of Dragon Quest 2 has a nugget of mild hentai as an Easter egg.

I don't know the exact process to get it, but I think you have to speak to the king of Ladatorm without having anything equipped with the princess and he'll give you the "Dangerous Swimsuit". Once you get it, you'll graphically see the garment on the princess (MSX1 version only).

dqmsx-4.png

Desiato

Nothing too special, but I discovered something while playing No More Heroes. I'm not sure if it's well known or not. Tap the b-button during the loading screens with a spinning star in the bottom right of the screen. The star will shoot up, and more colored stars will shoot across the screen. I wonder if something like this will be in NMH2?

wRATH2x

Banned
KevinCow said:

Holy Fuckshits!!!

wRATH2x

Banned
Choppasmith said:
No, not exactly "from the creator's mouth" kind of proof, it's been widely regarded by Japanese fans in similar vein to the hidden Star Wars references/homages in FF games.
I would love a list of that.

Wrath2X said:
I would love a list of that.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/excross.shtml#starwars

And in case the link goes down:

#

The entire series has had snippets of references to Star Wars, including the names of Biggs and Wedge which are used in nearly every Final Fantasy game and then some. Biggs Darklighter and Wedge Antilles are the names of Luke Skywalker's wingmen in his run on the Death Star in Episode IV: A New Hope. They show up in the following roles in the following Final Fantasies:
# FF6: Vicks and Wedge are two imperial soldiers in MagiTek armor who accompany Terra in the beginning of the game. (NOTE: Vicks is a mistranslation of Biggs which translates as Bi-G-Gu-Su. The B and V are interchangeable in Japanese)
# FF7: Two minor members of AVALANCHE, under Barret's tutelage. Killed in the plate drop.
# FF8: A captain and subordinate of the Galbadian Army, who continually get demoted with all their screw-ups.
# FF10/X-2: Two separate NPC's who double as recruitable Blitzball players.
# FF12: The guards at Nalbina Town are named Deweg and Gibbs.

FF4:
# The name of Baron's airship force is called the Red Wings, Luke's squadron from Episode IV: A New Hope.
# The second airship that the party commandeers is named the Falcon, possibly after the Millennium Falcon.

FF6:
# The scene where Locke rescues Celes from South Figaro.

FF7:
# Nanaki (Red XIII's real name) is an anagram of Anakin (Skywalker). (sent by Snesman)
# Red XIII itself is probably a dig at Luke Skywalker's Red squadron from the first Star Wars (Luke was Red Five).

FF7: Before Crisis:
# Tierce, Kyneugh, and Kanos, three of the Ravens, are named after minor characters in Star Wars.

FF8:
# Piet is the name of one of the executors on the space station taking care of Adel's Tomb. Admiral Piett was one of the imperial officers of the Empire in Episode V and VI.
# Nida is a minor character of FF8 who eventually becomes the pilot of mobile garden. Lorth Needa was a minor officer in The Empire Strikes Back, then became Captain.
# Martine, the headmaster of Galbadia Garden was called Dodonna in Japan. General Dodonna is the character who briefs the rebel alliance on the attack on the Death Star in Episode IV: A New Hope.
# In the Star Wars expanded universe, there is a planet known as Onderon (featured in the game Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords). Onderon is unique because its largest moon, Dxun, orbits so close to the planet at times that their atmospheres mix together and create a tunnel of air between the two. Dxun is filled with many vicious beasts, which take advantage of the tunnel of air to migrate down to the planet and terrorize the natives. It all bears too much resemblance to the "Lunar Cry" in FF8, where monsters all flood down to the planet, to be a coincidence. In addition, the tomb of the great dark Jedi Freedon Nadd is located on Dxun. This is similar to the fact that the Sorceress Adel's tomb orbits the planet in FF8. (sent by Shigmiya64)

FF9:
# End Boss Spoilers, just to be safe
Part of Necron's speech at the very end of the game is: "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." These words were originally spoken by Yoda in Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

Tactics:
# Luke Skywalker and Indiana Jones (well, Luke and Indy) demonstrate battle techniques in the tutorial. (sent by Mark Rosa)
# There is a more-than-coincidental resemblance of Orlandeau to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

And while we're on the subject of FF

The Mystery Horror Anime/Manga Franchise Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni/When they Cry is written by a guy who likes to refer to himself as Ryukishi07 a pun which can be read as Dragon Knight (Dragoon) Lenna from FFV (Ryu= Dragon, Kishi= Knight 0=Rei, 7=Nana, Reina was Lenna's English spelling for the PS1 Anthology Translation.

S-E even pays homage to this little connection in Dissidia with Bartz's Japanese voice actor Soichiro Hoshi playing one of the main characters from Higurashi. Mark my words, not that any of us would really care, but the voice cast for an eventual FFV remake would likely consist of the same actors.

Hanmik

Does anybody no the name of the video game where a voice says

"BACK FOR MORE"

when you start the game again..? I cannot remember what game that is. plz help..

Most of that is pretty good, but one is definitely wrong and a couple are really stretching.

Luke's team that assaults the Death Star in ANH are not called the Red Wings. They are Red Squadron.

The stuff about Red XIII/Nanaki is reaaaaching.

Aside from that though, the rest holds. There are obviously a few Star Wars fans on the FF teams.

IIRC, in the Japanese FF6 it was also "Vicks/Bicks" (ビックス), instead of "Viggs/Biggs" (ビッグス), so both versions dropped the ball on getting the name right.

Metal B

KevinCow said:

You also can say this to GTA Sandbox games.
You walk/drive through a maze that is a city. There are times where you have to get away from cops, who try to catch you, but you also get weapons to fight them. If you drive over people you can collect dots/money.
8k4w4po3.png

Cheerilee

FF8:
# Piet is the name of one of the executors on the space station taking care of Adel's Tomb. Admiral Piett was one of the imperial officers of the Empire in Episode V and VI.
Chrono Trigger had Biggs, Wedge and Piette inside a carnival booth at the start of the game.

Edit: I seem to recall Biggs and Wedge also being two soldiers on a transport in The Spirits Within. And I think someone told me once that "the Empire" from Final Fantasy VI was supposed to be a mild Star Wars reference.

MNC

Metal B said:
You also can say this to GTA Sandbox games.
You walk/drive through a maze that is a city. There are times where you have to get away from cops, who try to catch you, but you also get weapons to fight them. If you drive over people you can collect dots/money.
8k4w4po3.png
This might be a bit of a stretch, but I like the resemblance.

protonion

The ghosts in Pac-Man have unique AIs.

Red- It tries to reduce it's distance from you. So it chases you almost directly.

Pink- It chases the tile four spaces in front of pacman (in the direction he faces).So this ghost ambushes you from the front.(it gets in front of you, then you face away from it and you are between the tile it chases and the ghost).

Blue- The tile it chases is the combination of the tile two spaces in front of you and the red's potition. It feels a bit random. The closer you are to the red the more predictable it is.

Orange- If it is far from you (over 8 tiles) it behaves like the red. If it is close it heads for the lower left corner.

MNC

protonion said:
The ghosts in Pac-Man have unique AIs.

Red- It tries to reduce it's distance from you. So it chases you almost directly.

Pink- It chases the tile four spaces in front of pacman (in the direction he faces).So this ghosts ambushes you from the front.(it gets in front of you, then you face away from it and you are between the tile it chases and the ghost).

Blue- The tile it chases is the combination of the tile two spaces in front of you and the red's potition. It feels a bit random. The closer you are to the red the more predictable it is.

Orange- If it is far from you (over 8 tiles) it behaves like the red. If it is close it heads for the lower left corner.
..... O_O No fucking way. This is neat.

Top Bottom