• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
I was thinking about how to say something relatively simple. I know how to say for example:
難しいのが分かりません。
Which I think translates to "I don't understand the difficult one"

Or
難しいのが好きです。
Which I'd translate to "I that it's difficult" (or "I like the difficult one" too I guess)

But what if I want to say "I understand why it's difficult"? I'm not sure where to put the か
Can I write like this?
どうして難しいのかが分かりません。

Should I put the か before the の? Do I need the の at all?

Aizo

Banned
News is the best way to learn vocab IMO.

Amazon.co.jp user reviews are also great for specialized Japanese on things you're interested in.
Coincidentally, I was just looking for a Japanese news channel on YouTube to start subscribing to last night. What's your favorite source?

Fugu

Coincidentally, I was just looking for a Japanese news channel on YouTube to start subscribing to last night. What's your favorite source?
I have to say, I've been watching/reading the news for over a year now and my vocabulary hasn't improved that much from it. For me, nothing really replaces rote vocabulary memorization, as dull as it is.

I was thinking about how to say something relatively simple. I know how to say for example:
難しいのが分かりません。
Which I think translates to "I don't understand the difficult one"

Or
難しいのが好きです。
Which I'd translate to "I that it's difficult" (or "I like the difficult one" too I guess)

But what if I want to say "I understand why it's difficult"? I'm not sure where to put the か
Can I write like this?
どうして難しいのかが分かりません。

Should I put the か before the の? Do I need the の at all?

You used 分かりません meaning you don't understand why it's difficult. Don't use が. After か you can simply use the verb.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You used 分かりません meaning you don't understand why it's difficult. Don't use が. After か you can simply use the verb.

It's not a mistake, though. If anything the が places emphasis on the fact that it's the "why it's difficult" part that he understands.

Assuming he changes the 分かりません to 分かります。

eot

Banned
Thanks both of you.
I was playing with the sentences and forgot to negate the English one as well. Sometimes you're so blind to your own obvious mistakes.

Also, I randomly stumbled upon this sentence:
マイアミゾンビ事件 顔を食べられた被害者の写真

I understand just enough to be distrubed.
The を confuses me slightly though, it seems to me like you'd say 食べられた顔の被害者

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks both of you.
I was playing with the sentences and forgot to negate the English one as well. Sometimes you're so blind to your own obvious mistakes.

Also, I randomly stumbled upon this sentence:
マイアミゾンビ事件 顔を食べられた被害者の写真

I understand just enough to be distrubed.
The を confuses me slightly though, it seems to me like you'd say 食べられた顔の被害者

The sentence you quoted is fine. Your example is not an invalid sentence, but I'd say it's a bit odd in this context.

Pretty much, "victim who had his face eaten" vs. "victim with an eaten face"

The first more clearly conveys the fact that he is a victim because his face was eaten, while the second *could* be interpreted as "a victim of something" who also happens to have an eaten face, if that makes sense.

eot

Banned
Ah yes it clicked for me now.

Thanks again

edit: I didn't know you could use を for the object of a passive verb, but apparently it's gives the connotation that something unpleasant happened. So I guess it'd be:
私を魚に食べられた。
and not: 私は魚に食べられた。

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Thanks again

edit: I didn't know you could use を for the object of a passive verb, but apparently it's gives the connotation that something unpleasant happened. So I guess it'd be:
私を魚に食べられた。

Yep, first one is objective, i.e. it's just a statement.
Second one puts the emphasis on the negative impact of what happened.

That's why "Someone stole my bag", in the passive form, will always be translated as かばんをとられた. You're saying how pissed off you are about the whole thing.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Anyone taking the exam on Sunday?

I'm going for N3. Although the more I seem to study, the worse my grades are getting. I've done 5 past papers so far and the first (when I still had new grammar left to cover) was about 80% but the one I did today I only got 96, so barely scraped a pass.

Fuck.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks again

私を魚に食べられた。

The first one is weird because you used 私. I'm not sure I'm able to explain it, but this method should only be used in situations where something happens to something the subject owns or is otherwise related to the subject. Saying 私 just doesn't work, because then who is the speaker?

In your previous example, you had 顔を食べられた被害者, with 被害者 being the subject. I think there needs to be a written or at least implied subject at the end.

顔を魚に食べられた私, for example. 家族をゾンビーに食べられた私, etc.

Or even in Kilrogg's example of かばんをとられた, there's an implication that it is someone's bag, probably the speaker.

Hopefully this makes some kind of sense.

I'm going for N3. Although the more I seem to study, the worse my grades are getting. I've done 5 past papers so far and the first (when I still had new grammar left to cover) was about 80% but the one I did today I only got 96, so barely scraped a pass.

Fuck.

I'm taking the N3, but I'm not confident. Regardless of how I do I plan on taking the N2 next year.

dani_dc

So I've been trying to tackle Japanese for the past couple months (actually I had looked into Hiragana/Katakana a year or two back so I didn't go completely from zero).
I've been doing the following:

Went through Human Japanese (Android) for grammar, Hiragana and Katakana.
Used Obenkyo for Hiragana and Katakana so far.

Was hoping to go through Human Japanese Intermediate next since I really liked Human Japanese.

Been going through the N5 Vocab list via memrise for a few weeks, nearly done with that.

This week I started trying WaniKani (free version) to tackle Kanji, so far I've been enjoying the methodology, it started off a bit slow but I'm told it picks up so that shouldn't be an issue. Though it's a paid app going forward, so I'd like to hear some thoughts on it from other users if possible.

I've also been told to check KanjiDamage regarding Kanji.

I have to say that I enjoy automatic timed reviews, I tend to not be too good with the whole going back to review things by myself, so in that sense Memrise and WaniKani have been very helpful so far.

Any kind of tips of were to go from here?

Also I see that JLPT is this weekend, so I wish best of luck for those taking it!

Maybe next year I'll be able to tackle one of the lower levels.

muteki

To add another kanji reference to your list, I use: http://kanji.koohii.com/

It goes along with Heisig's RTK book, which you can pick up for 20 dollars or so, but you don't have to have it to use the site, which is free.

I'd also recommend Anki as well, and any of the existing decks for grammar, vocab, tv shows or movies. It's free to use on everything but iOS. It takes some time to get used to and setup right but if you like automatic reviews it (and RTK) you might enjoy it. Can be a hell of a time sync, but what isn't in language learning.

kunonabi

Fuck.

I'm taking the N3 but I'm probably going to fail it again. I lost three months of study due to work and then family drama has been on overdrive the last month. I just barely failed it the last time but I feel even less confidant now. I actually passed each section last time but the overall score was off by a few points. I really hope I pass because I really want to move to Japan in the next year or so since I'm getting a little old for most work opportunities.

Kansoku

So, I'm going trough Tae Kim again (because I forgot almost everything because I couldn't keep practicing due to college) and I'm having some trouble with 「と」.
I know it can be 1. "and" 2. a conditional (with the nuance of expressing a natural consequence of an "if") and 3. a quoting particle.
So I was looking at these lyrics, and I can't figure out why there's a と in the first verse:

美しい鳥と出会いました
名前は何?と聞くと
「名前は無い」と言うのです
それじゃ君を呼べないよ

I'm certain that the second and fourth と are the quoting と, and I assume the third one is the conditional one. But that first one...

Also, I would translate this as:

I happened to meet a beautiful bird
If I asked what's your name
You'd say "I don't have a name"
In that case I wouldn't be able to call you

Is that correct? (I assume it's a little stiff)

Aizo

Banned
I'm extremely frustrated about an issue with my phone. I recently got a Galaxy S5, but Japanese isn't supported (it was supported on my old phone, and I had it set to Japanese). Because of this, Anki is using a Chinese font for kanji, and it's really messing me up. I've searched online for ways to fix this, but I just don't know what I can do without rooting my phone. I hope someone can help me.

urfe

So, I'm going trough Tae Kim again (because I forgot almost everything because I couldn't keep practicing due to college) and I'm having some trouble with 「と」.
I know it can be 1. "and" 2. a conditional (with the nuance of expressing a natural consequence of an "if") and 3. a quoting particle.
So I was looking at these lyrics, and I can't figure out why there's a と in the first verse:

美しい鳥と出会いました
名前は何?と聞くと
「名前は無い」と言うのです
それじゃ君を呼べないよ

I'm certain that the second and fourth と are the quoting と, and I assume the third one is the conditional one. But that first one...

Also, I would translate this as:

I happened to meet a beautiful bird
If I asked what's your name
You'd say "I don't have a name"
In that case I wouldn't be able to call you

Is that correct? (I assume it's a little stiff)

Looks right to me. I have an issue with と being described as if, but I can't think of a better explanation, so I guess if it is.

I feel Japan has a different if/when spectrum than English.

upandaway

I'm extremely frustrated about an issue with my phone. I recently got a Galaxy S5, but Japanese isn't supported (it was supported on my old phone, and I had it set to Japanese). Because of this, Anki is using a Chinese font for kanji, and it's really messing me up. I've searched online for ways to fix this, but I just don't know what I can do without rooting my phone. I hope someone can help me.
If Anki is your only problem, you can use custom fonts with Ankidroid

alekth

と is also commonly used for bidirectional relationships - doing something together with someone, talking, meeting, comparing things. English translation is generally "to" and "with".
Some, like 会う and 話す can be used with に instead, which makes it unidirectional (e.g. going to someone's place to meet them, approaching someone to talk to them, in a sense of "how to talk to people" etc).

Kansoku

と is also commonly used for bidirectional relationships - doing something together with someone, talking, meeting, comparing things. English translation is generally "to" and "with".
Some, like 会う and 話す can be used with に instead, which makes it unidirectional (e.g. going to someone's place to meet them, approaching someone to talk to them, in a sense of "how to talk to people" etc).

Oh I see, thanks.

dani_dc

To add another kanji reference to your list, I use: http://kanji.koohii.com/

It goes along with Heisig's RTK book, which you can pick up for 20 dollars or so, but you don't have to have it to use the site, which is free.

I'd also recommend Anki as well, and any of the existing decks for grammar, vocab, tv shows or movies. It's free to use on everything but iOS. It takes some time to get used to and setup right but if you like automatic reviews it (and RTK) you might enjoy it. Can be a hell of a time sync, but what isn't in language learning.

Thanks, I tend to stick with digital sources over physical books (cause of OCD reasons and all), but I'll check the site.

Ah yes, I keep forgetting about Anki, even though I do have it installed in my tablet, thanks for the reminder, gotta go hunt for some decks.

Torraz

So I've been trying to tackle Japanese for the past couple months (actually I had looked into Hiragana/Katakana a year or two back so I didn't go completely from zero).
I've been doing the following:

Went through Human Japanese (Android) for grammar, Hiragana and Katakana.
Used Obenkyo for Hiragana and Katakana so far.

Was hoping to go through Human Japanese Intermediate next since I really liked Human Japanese.

Been going through the N5 Vocab list via memrise for a few weeks, nearly done with that.

This week I started trying WaniKani (free version) to tackle Kanji, so far I've been enjoying the methodology, it started off a bit slow but I'm told it picks up so that shouldn't be an issue. Though it's a paid app going forward, so I'd like to hear some thoughts on it from other users if possible.

I've also been told to check KanjiDamage regarding Kanji.

I have to say that I enjoy automatic timed reviews, I tend to not be too good with the whole going back to review things by myself, so in that sense Memrise and WaniKani have been very helpful so far.

Any kind of tips of were to go from here?

Also I see that JLPT is this weekend, so I wish best of luck for those taking it!

Maybe next year I'll be able to tackle one of the lower levels.

I am really enjoying the books by Taeko Kamiya:
The Handbook of Japanese Adjectives and Adverbs
Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication: A Self-Study Course and Reference
The Handbook of Japanese Verbs

Do note that these books are drier than the Sahara desert, but personally I think them more than any other books I have tried. The practice sentences are not too complex, and not too easy, and in most cases almost worth learning by heart, as you will get chances to use them in real life.

urfe

I'm taking N1 today which I again haven't studied for.
It's really not a test one can naturally pass.

Sigh.

soc

Taking the N3 tomorrow. Also, assuming I pass, I highly recommend the textbook "An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" (aka AIAIJ), which is a sort of continuation of the Genki textbooks.

Good luck to everyone taking the JLPT!

Kansoku

Wouldn't that just fix my desktop version?
Edit: I just can't get this to fix the droid version :/

I didn't read the whole link so I might be repeating stuff.
In your phone's internal storage there's going to be a folder called AnkiDroid, and inside that a folder called fonts.Put your font's there.
Then edit the HTML/CSS of the cards,and on the css part put:
Code:
.mobile .name { font-family: "Meiryo"; }
on the CSS, for example, and on the HTML put:
Code:
<span class="name">{{Something}}</span>

You can put whatever you want in place of "name". And it's the name of the font family, not the name of the file.

Good luck to everyone taking the JLPT.

Sorry for the repeat question, but I would really appreciate some help with this situation.

I've been using a Japanese children's book, Mado giwa no Totto-chan, as my reading practice. I would compare it to the types of "chapter" books kids in my day were reading in maybe first or second grade, but it's not exactly there. It seems harder and longer than something like Goosebumps, but it is definitely easier and shorter than something like Redwall.

At any rate, I am progressing through it, but I think I would be better served right now with something just a bit easier. Preferably a book, but comics are fine if they are really the best tool. Something more in line with Goosebumps.

Any suggestions?
I have tried searching through the thread, but my keywords are not doing it apparently.

urfe

Sorry for the repeat question, but I would really appreciate some help with this situation.

I've been using a Japanese children's book, Mado giwa no Totto-chan, as my reading practice. I would compare it to the types of "chapter" books kids in my day were reading in maybe first or second grade, but it's not exactly there. It seems harder and longer than something like Goosebumps, but it is definitely easier and shorter than something like Redwall.

At any rate, I am progressing through it, but I think I would be better served right now with something just a bit easier. Preferably a book, but comics are fine if they are really the best tool. Something more in line with Goosebumps.

Any suggestions?
I have tried searching through the thread, but my keywords are not doing it apparently.

I don't have an answer for you, but I don't really recommend children's books for learning a second language. Children and second language learners learn languages differently, and learn different words first. After going through textbooks, I'd honestly say news articles would be the easiest.

The only difference is if you really enjoy reading what you're reading, because then that makes it easiest (like many people and RPGs/manga, etc.), because the drive to want to understand gives you massive motivation.

That's my opinion, if the route you're taking is right for you, then I wish you all the best with it. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have an answer for you, but I don't really recommend children's books for learning a second language. Children and second language learners learn languages differently, and learn different words first. After going through textbooks, I'd honestly say news articles would be the easiest.

The only difference is if you really enjoy reading what you're reading, because then that makes it easiest (like many people and RPGs/manga, etc.), because the drive to want to understand gives you massive motivation.

That's my opinion, if the route you're taking is right for you, then I wish you all the best with it. :)

Totally disagree with this opinion. Learning the language like a child learns it, but at an accelerated rate is by far the better method to learning how to use a language naturally, as native speakers do.

I understand the urge to jump right into news articles and such, but I think it's a far better idea to consume children's materials for at least a little while.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sorry to jump in here, not really very knowledgeable in Japanese at all except the very basics, but my Google-fu is failing me right now, I was looking for the Japanese word for the Dutch language. I know the word for The Netherlands is Oranda and a Dutch person is therefor Oranda-jin, but Google is failing me as to the language itself, since most of my search results end up giving me sites that talk about Dutch Loanwords in the Japanese language instead. Is it Oranda as well, as in oranda ga wakarimasu?

Zoe

Sorry to jump in here, not really very knowledgeable in Japanese at all except the very basics, but my Google-fu is failing me right now, I was looking for the Japanese word for the Dutch language. I know the word for The Netherlands is Oranda and a Dutch person is therefor Oranda-jin, but Google is failing me as to the language itself, since most of my search results end up giving me sites that talk about Dutch Loanwords in the Japanese language instead. Is it Oranda as well, as in oranda ga wakarimasu?

&#12458;&#12521;&#12531;&#12480;&#35486; &#12304;&#12458;&#12521;&#12531;&#12480;&#12372;&#12305; (n) Dutch (language)
ORANDAgo

WWWJDIC is pretty reliable.

Totally disagree with this opinion. Learning the language like a child learns it, but at an accelerated rate is by far the better method to learning how to use a language naturally, as native speakers do.

I understand the urge to jump right into news articles and such, but I think it's a far better idea to consume children's materials for at least a little while.

Thanks for the responses from both of you.

I'm sure there are better ways to go about study than what I am doing, but I've studied the language on and off in many ways, including three years at college, and I feel reading whatever media can hold my attention is personally the best way for me. It may be lack of discipline, but I know I need a semi-interesting application to keep motivated during the periods of vocab memorization.

I have some other tools, such as comics and games, that are pretty useful, but there's really nothing like a good book for me. Even if it is a kid's book.

soc

Any suggestions?

Sounds like Shounen manga might be around that level. Actually, this comes up on reddit all the time and they always recommend three things: Yotsubato!, NHK Easy News, and Visual Novels.

If you're at an intermediate level but without a large working vocabulary, I would recommend "Read Real Japanese: Short Stories" (link) which comes with a dictionary and detailed translation notes by Michael Emmerich, and a narrated CD to make sure you're not pronouncing things like a weirdo.

The quickest and easiest way to build vocabulary is probably regular review with a SRS program like Anki. After three years of college, I feel like your grammar should be quite strong, and it might be worth it just to focus on vocabulary until you can tackle things you really want to.

If you're concerned with building grammar as well, I don't think that there's anything better than a good textbook for learning important sentence patterns, basic vocabulary, and level-appropriate reading.

urfe

I don't mind if we disagree, but I thought I would elaborate in case I didn't express myself clearly.

I think news articles are easier for a second language learner than what a children learns, and the vocab a children uses isn't as useful.

If one is learning kanji as a child learns it, they will learn &#30690; before &#39365;, which makes no sense. Perhaps they will learn &#12418;&#12417;&#12427; before &#12369;&#12435;&#12363;&#12377;&#12427;, which I think (while slightly different in meaning) is more useful for a second language learner.

News articles follow proper grammar learned in textbooks, and are usually only a matter of learning vocab.

If you disagree no problem, just thought I would elaborate.

Anyone know a good guide that thoroughly explains the difference in nuance between

A [&#12383;&#12425;&#12539;&#12392;&#12539;&#12400;&#12539;&#12394;&#12425;] B, when talking about hypothetical situations and the consequences?

Aiii

So not worth it
So, while doing this whole immersion thing I was a bit annoyed that Spotify didn't have much Japanese music (at least for artists I knew, which aren't very many), since Spotify is my main player (at home, at work and in my car) that was a bit of an issue. I didn't feel like obtaining a large library elsewhere or work with Grooveshark.

But when I Googled some, I found out there's actually quite a bit of Japanese music hidden on Spotify. So for those interested, here's a good playlist with J-Rock / J-Metal / Visual Kei: http://open.spotify.com/user/1170234358/playlist/5ByIhioWdP56gwysp2qSvh

95 hours worth at the moment and the creator seems to add more as it appears regularly, it's more than enough to play during the workday for me.

Fugu

Anyone know a good guide that thoroughly explains the difference in nuance between

A [&#12383;&#12425;&#12539;&#12392;&#12539;&#12400;&#12539;&#12394;&#12425;] B, when talking about hypothetical situations and the consequences?
Eot's link to the Tae Kim guide is great. I think of them as lying on a spectrum from if to when, with &#12394;&#12425; most closely resembling "if" and &#12392; pretty much just "when". Obviously, there are rules that make the comparison not complete, but it works well enough for quick reading. I'm also just generally unconvinced that there are hard and fast rules for &#12383;&#12425;.

Sounds like Shounen manga might be around that level. Actually, this comes up on reddit all the time and they always recommend three things: Yotsubato!, NHK Easy News, and Visual Novels.

If you're at an intermediate level but without a large working vocabulary, I would recommend "Read Real Japanese: Short Stories" (link) which comes with a dictionary and detailed translation notes by Michael Emmerich, and a narrated CD to make sure you're not pronouncing things like a weirdo.

The quickest and easiest way to build vocabulary is probably regular review with a SRS program like Anki. After three years of college, I feel like your grammar should be quite strong, and it might be worth it just to focus on vocabulary until you can tackle things you really want to.

If you're concerned with building grammar as well, I don't think that there's anything better than a good textbook for learning important sentence patterns, basic vocabulary, and level-appropriate reading.
Thanks. SRS has actually been a wonder both as a refresh tool and for building vocab. Even the book I'm working on has become noticeably more friendly to me, which is really exciting. Definitely looking into the book you've linked and finally busted out the One Piece volumes my SO brought back from Japan a few years ago.

Things are looking pretty exciting for the first time in a while.
So, while doing this whole immersion thing I was a bit annoyed that Spotify didn't have much Japanese music (at least for artists I knew, which aren't very many), since Spotify is my main player (at home, at work and in my car) that was a bit of an issue. I didn't feel like obtaining a large library elsewhere or work with Grooveshark.

But when I Googled some, I found out there's actually quite a bit of Japanese music hidden on Spotify. So for those interested, here's a good playlist with J-Rock / J-Metal / Visual Kei: http://open.spotify.com/user/1170234358/playlist/5ByIhioWdP56gwysp2qSvh

95 hours worth at the moment and the creator seems to add more as it appears regularly, it's more than enough to play during the workday for me.
This may already be in that list, but The Blue Hearts have three albums on Spotify. Japanese punk band from the 80's, fairly mellow, and some of the songs are simplistic enough that i think one could to start recognizing full sentences at a fairly low level.

urfe

Thanks. SRS has actually been a wonder both as a refresh tool and for building vocab. Even the book I'm working on has become noticeably more friendly to me, which is really exciting. Definitely looking into the book you've linked and finally busted out the One Piece volumes my SO brought back from Japan a few years ago.

Things are looking pretty exciting for the first time in a while.

This may already be in that list, but The Blue Hearts have three albums on Spotify. Japanese punk band from the 80's, fairly mellow, and some of the songs are simplistic enough that i think one could to start recognizing full sentences at a fairly low level.

Blue Hearts are one of the greatest bands of all time. Oh man. Chain Gang gets me every time

Aiii

So not worth it

Domo arigato gozaimasu! They weren't in that playlist, but I do know one of their songs (Mirai wa bokura no te no naka), they're perfect indeed.

&#25165;&#33021;&#12398;&#28961;&#39364;&#36963;&#12356;

Can anyone help me... break this phrase down a bit. I know what it literally means but it does not seem to be used in that sense. I kinda get it... but whats someones take whos been learning/knows the language more than myself. Oh this is in terms of the internet by the way, not sure if that makes a difference but I think it does.

alekth

&#25165;&#33021;&#12398;&#28961;&#39364;&#36963;&#12356;

Can anyone help me... break this phrase down a bit. I know what it literally means but it does not seem to be used in that sense. I kinda get it... but whats someones take whos been learning/knows the language more than myself. Oh this is in terms of the internet by the way, not sure if that makes a difference but I think it does.

It would help if you post the context it was used in.

Literally "waste of talent" and appears to be used as an expression towards something well done/of high quality but not useful or needed in a given situation.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I've been hearing this on Castle FM frequently and I'm still hung up on one part.

They're discussing an upcoming marathon race to be run in the town, and they have a short segment where random people on the street offer a brief message of support. With some variance, the main common statement they all give is "&#23436;&#36208;&#12417;&#12384;&#12375;&#12390;&#12289;&#38929;&#24373;&#12387;&#12390;&#19979;&#12373;&#12356;" (at least that's what it sounds like to me). I'm not understanding what specifically &#12417;&#12384;&#12375;&#12390; means here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom