• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

traveler
Not Wario
(02-20-2008, 04:57 AM)
traveler's Avatar
Final show is up!

To complement I AM JOHN's wonderful Brodeo thread, here's the thread for this week's many 1up Yours shows.

TUESDAY, 2/19

1UP Yours: "Adventure"
Amy Hennig, Naughty Dog & Lorne Lanning, Oddworld
Size- 34 mb
Length- 1 hour 14 minutes

WEDNESDAY, 2/20

1UP Yours: "Shoot 'em Up"
Robert Bowling, Infinity Ward
w/David Ellis
Size- 23mb
Length- 50 minutes

THURSDAY, 2/21

1UP Yours: "A One Console Future"
Denis Dyack, Silicon Knights
w/Mark MacDonald
Size- 40.7 mb
Length- 1 hour 25 minutes

FRIDAY, 2/22

1UP Yours: "Beat the Press"
N'Gai Croal, Newsweek & Stephen Totilo, MTV
w/John Davison
Size- 51.3 mb
Length- 1 hour 51 minutes

Time for one more round of applause for skip and co?
Hellshadow
Member
(02-20-2008, 04:59 AM)
Hellshadow's Avatar
adelante
Member
(02-20-2008, 04:59 AM)
adelante's Avatar
podcast overdose!!~! *ack*
gray_fox224
Junior Member
(02-20-2008, 05:00 AM)
gray_fox224's Avatar
Whoa, now we have two threads to handle.

Again, 1up offering GREAT content.
Akia
(02-20-2008, 05:00 AM)
Akia's Avatar
oh man

oh man

oh man
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(02-20-2008, 05:00 AM)
HK-47's Avatar
MrTroubleMaker
(02-20-2008, 05:00 AM)
MrTroubleMaker's Avatar
great!
purg3
slept with Malkin
(02-20-2008, 05:00 AM)
1UP Yours: "A One Console Future"
Denis Dyack, Silicon Knights w/Mark MacDonald

Round 2. Fight!!

Should be a good show.
WrikaWrek
Banned
(02-20-2008, 05:01 AM)
WrikaWrek's Avatar
[IMG]http://i25.************/2colk54.gif[/IMG]
Ike
PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
(02-20-2008, 05:01 AM)
You had me excited. I thought the new one for today was up.
traveler
Not Wario
(02-20-2008, 05:01 AM)
traveler's Avatar
skip, not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job, (No-one is more deserving of a rest.) but could you please name the Yours podcasts differently from the GFW ones for the remainder of the week? Thanks in advance.

Edit: It's up, Ike. Click on the first day's description. (Adventure) I've got 34 mb right now; anyone seeing differently?
Dharmalar
Banned
(02-20-2008, 05:01 AM)
[IMG]http://i27.************/2q3n2g7.gif[/IMG]
rollingstart
Banned
(02-20-2008, 05:02 AM)
OH COME ON!

im already listening to GFW, I dont have time to listen to this now, but I really want to listen to Lorne Lanning talk.
tanod
when is my burrito
(02-20-2008, 05:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Dharmalar

[IMG]http://i27.************/2q3n2g7.gif[/IMG]

:lol :lol :lol

Skip delivers! Wooooooooooo!
Zombie James
Banned
(02-20-2008, 05:03 AM)
Zombie James's Avatar
LISTENING NOW OM=G
evlcookie
but ever so delicious
(02-20-2008, 05:03 AM)
evlcookie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dharmalar

[IMG]http://i27.************/2q3n2g7.gif[/IMG]

Why is THAT not my avatar!, Stealing it :D
Ike
PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
(02-20-2008, 05:03 AM)

Originally Posted by traveler

skip, not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job, (No-one is more deserving of a rest.) but could you please name the Yours podcasts differently from the GFW ones for the remainder of the week?

Edit: It's up, Ike.

Why is it not picking it up on my itunes then?

Meh, *downloads from the link*
Geoff9920
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:04 AM)
Geoff9920's Avatar

Originally Posted by purg3

1UP Yours: "A One Console Future"
Denis Dyack, Silicon Knights w/Mark MacDonald

Round 2. Fight!!

Should be a good show.

Oh wow, that should be a good show.
guidop
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:05 AM)
Is Shawn on all these podcasts?
MrTroubleMaker
(02-20-2008, 05:07 AM)
MrTroubleMaker's Avatar
its up on iTunes
traveler
Not Wario
(02-20-2008, 05:08 AM)
traveler's Avatar

Originally Posted by guidop

Is Shawn on all these podcasts?

I dunno if he'll be there for the whole week, but he is in today's.
I AM JOHN!
Banned
(02-20-2008, 05:09 AM)
I AM JOHN!'s Avatar
Thread title is made of monster win.
No_Style
Doesn't want to make an
ass of himself
(02-20-2008, 05:10 AM)
No_Style's Avatar
I will have plenty of listening to do tomorrow! :D
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(02-20-2008, 05:12 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by I AM JOHN!

Thread title is made of monster win.

captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(02-20-2008, 05:13 AM)
captive's Avatar
Just a side question from last weeks episode. Shawn did you beat Resistance?

downloadin' now.
BanGy.nz
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:17 AM)
BanGy.nz's Avatar
Amy Hennig <3

Will listen to this after GFW podcast.
KolosLazar16
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:17 AM)

Originally Posted by captive

Just a side question from last weeks episode. Shawn did you beat Resistance?

downloadin' now.

Don't even start. -_-v. If you want to keep the flame going just check out last weeks 1upy thread.
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(02-20-2008, 05:18 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by captive

Just a side question from last weeks episode. Shawn did you beat Resistance?

downloadin' now.



Dont even start
Big-E
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:23 AM)
Big-E's Avatar
What happened to the podcast with Warren Spector?

EDIT: I'm a dumbass. Forgot that the Brodeo was doing it.
Rapping Granny
Banned
(02-20-2008, 05:24 AM)
dralla
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:26 AM)
dralla's Avatar
Lorne for 4th chair
dfyb
Banned
(02-20-2008, 05:26 AM)
traveler
Not Wario
(02-20-2008, 05:26 AM)
traveler's Avatar

Originally Posted by captive

Just a side question from last weeks episode. Shawn did you beat Resistance?

downloadin' now.

captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(02-20-2008, 05:32 AM)
captive's Avatar
Whatever, if the title of the thread is going to bring last week into it then i want to know.
Besides with this thread title its only a matter of time before it starts again.
Maggot9
Banned
(02-20-2008, 05:34 AM)
weekend confir.........
traveler
Not Wario
(02-20-2008, 05:35 AM)
traveler's Avatar

Originally Posted by captive

Whatever, if the title of the thread is going to bring last week into it then i want to know.
Besides with this thread title its only a matter of time before it starts again.

Yeah, I'm starting to regret it. If any mod would care to defuse the situation by getting rid of the inciendiary adjective, I wouldn't care.

Edit: Lanning is excellent. (Hennig is too, the few times she has spoken.) You guys definitely need to get him back again.
Voltron64
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:44 AM)
Voltron64's Avatar
[IMG]http://i32.************/f0wviv.jpg[/IMG]
Grecco
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:46 AM)
Grecco's Avatar
Is it me or is the bit about Sam Fisher/Condemnded guy being similar come from gaf?
Crusade
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Voltron64

[IMG]http://i32.************/f0wviv.jpg[/IMG]

WTF :lol
Mac the KNife
Member
(02-20-2008, 05:50 AM)
Mac the KNife's Avatar
[IMG]http://i32.************/21b1ac6.gif[/IMG]
Elbrain
Suckin' dicks since '66
(02-20-2008, 05:56 AM)
Elbrain's Avatar
Freaking awesome starting the download NOW!
traveler
Not Wario
(02-20-2008, 06:17 AM)
traveler's Avatar
DON'T SPOIL STRANGER! I still haven't gotten a chance to play it thanks to the lack of BC.

Edit: Thank you, Garnett.

Edit2: Fart, I think gaming has actually been the one industry where the best sellers are, arguably, pretty good. I dunno if it's due to its existence as a enthusiast hobby or something else, but I do usually feel pretty good about what sells.
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(02-20-2008, 06:22 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by traveler

DON'T SPOIL STRANGER! I still haven't gotten a chance to play it thanks to the lack of BC.

Edit: Thank you, Garnett.

Edit2: Fart, I think gaming has actually been the one industry where the best sellers are, arguably, pretty good. I dunno if it's due to its existence as a enthusiast hobby or something else, but I do usually feel pretty good about what sells.

Take a look at the real sellers. Its stuff like Mario, Pokemon, GTA, GT, FF, DQ, Sims, Zelda. Good games. The tripe doesnt surface really until to go down into the 2 millions, and even then way more good then bad.
dralla
Member
(02-20-2008, 06:27 AM)
dralla's Avatar
really good show, great ending too :lol
zaidr
Member
(02-20-2008, 06:33 AM)
great times. Let the smart man's E3 commence!
rollingstart
Banned
(02-20-2008, 06:34 AM)

Originally Posted by traveler

DON'T SPOIL STRANGER! I still haven't gotten a chance to play it thanks to the lack of BC.

Edit: Thank you, Garnett.

Edit2: Fart, I think gaming has actually been the one industry where the best sellers are, arguably, pretty good. I dunno if it's due to its existence as a enthusiast hobby or something else, but I do usually feel pretty good about what sells.

If you have an original xbox, it is worth taking out to play it. Stranger was an awesome game.
traveler
Not Wario
(02-20-2008, 06:38 AM)
traveler's Avatar
I don't really agree with Hennig's argument against the HL narrative. If people want to, as she implies with her example, screw up the narrative experience for themselves, taking the control out of their hands and placing the scene in a movie rather than ingame will only either (a) make them skip the scene if the option is present or (b) frustrate them and make them wish the option to skip it was there if it is not.

As for the MGS criticism, I agree that games shouldn't be compared to the narratives from other media normally, but when they imitate those media, like MGS, it does kinda naturally draw comparisions, so if you insist that that kind of storytelling has its place in gaming, you have to be willing to submit yourself to the same standards that kind of storytelling faces in other media.

And one last thing- I dunno if Shane reads here or not, but I'm curious as to what moment most touched him in MGS3. If he is anything like me, it was the moment where you have to kill the boss yourself. Between that and the other powerful moment in the series for me, (the moment where you can't kill Grey Fox, but are given control to be able to in MGS1) I find it interesting that the series held up as the pinnacle of cinematic storytelling in games draws its most emotional scenes not from its signature feature, but from player-controlled storytelling akin to moments in the HL series. (I've brought this up before, but never really seen it discussed.)
beerbelly
Banned
(02-20-2008, 06:40 AM)

Originally Posted by traveler

OMG :lol :lol
LJ11
Member
(02-20-2008, 06:43 AM)
LJ11's Avatar
That was the best 1up podcast to date, loved Lorne and Amy. Great stuff.
dralla
Member
(02-20-2008, 06:46 AM)
dralla's Avatar

Originally Posted by traveler

I don't really agree with Hennig's argument against the HL narrative. If people want to, as she implies with her example, screw up the narrative experience for themselves, taking the control out of their hands and placing the scene in a movie rather than ingame will only either (a) make them skip the scene if the option is present or (b) frustrate them and make them wish the option to skip it was there if it is not.

As for the MGS criticism, I agree that games shouldn't be compared to the narratives from other media normally, but when they imitate those media, like MGS, it does kinda naturally draw comparisions, so if you insist that that kind of storytelling has its place in gaming, you have to be willing to submit yourself to the same standards that kind of storytelling faces in other media.

And one last thing- I dunno if Shane reads here or not, but I'm curious as to what moment most touched him in MGS3. If he is anything like me, it was the moment where you have to kill the boss yourself.
Between that and the other powerful moment in the series for me, (the moment where you can't kill Grey Fox, but are given control to be able to in MGS1) I find it interesting that the series held up as the pinnacle of cinematic storytelling in games draws its most emotional scenes not from its signature feature, but from player-controlled storytelling akin to moments in the HL series. (I've brought this up before, but never really seen it discussed.)

I think for most people it's the ending scene when Eva is narrating and you find out the truth about the whole situation, than Big Boss at Boss' grave.



Although, shooting the Boss and having the flowers turn red was pretty fuckin' epic

yea, so I even need spoiler tags? the game is 3 years old. oh well

Thread Tools