• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wii-stockpilling : hints given by (arrogant ?) Reggie

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
helped by video-game titles including ``Super Smash Bros. Brawl,'' Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said.
I like how they use "titles including" in there as if they have anything else besides Brawl coming up before June...

The only other good games lined up for the Wii prior to June are PS2 ports!

later

dark10x said:
I like how they use "titles including" in there as if they have anything else besides Brawl coming up before June...

wii fit (and possibly mario kart)

dark10x said:

Yeah I doubt Wii Fit is gonna move any units when it launches in May. Bomba totale.

Jammy

Banned
dark10x said:

Wii Fit? Mario Kart Wii?

Those will push a shitton of systems.

gkryhewy

dark10x said:

Come on - WiiFit.

Grecco

dark10x said:

Wii Fit and Mario Kart.

Though you act like getting Okami is a bad thing

Kenka

Wii shortages come finally to an end in the US. Time to sell a fuckton. Just imagine how awesome Carnival Games numbers will be during this period.

dark10x

BrodiemanTTR said:
Yeah I doubt Wii Fit is gonna move any units when it launches in May. Bomba totale.
So they have a SECOND GAME? Well that just makes all the difference. I mean, two games. May as well sell my other consoles as I sure as hell won't have time for anything else. :O

I actually DID forget about Wii fit, though.

Getting Okami isn't a bad thing either. Upon release, it will instantly become one of the best games on the Wii.

Grecco said:
Though you act like getting Okami is a bad thing
Most people (the few who wanted to) have played it, and those without PS2s probably won't buy it because it's not Zelda.

I think Reggie is being cagey about the US Nintendo market because Europe is so strong for Nintendo right now.

gkryhewy

dark10x said:
So they have a SECOND GAME? Well that just makes all the difference. I mean, two games. May as well sell my other consoles as I sure as hell won't have time for anything else. :O

From a Wii standpoint, Brawl and WiiFit in one quarter can be equated to having Halo 3 and Gears of War 2 in one quarter.

There are better arguments against Wii catching 360 by June than the stupid one you're making.

Ashhong

whats the point of talking about the games like Wii Fit or even Smash if the system is constantly sold out? the point of the thread should be that nintendo has to push out about 400k wiis a month. judging from januarys 270k or w/e, thats a tall order.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
dark10x said:

Getting Okami isn't a bad thing either. Upon release, it will instantly become one of the best games on the Wii.
I have a Wii and totally agree with this. This is why I disagree when some say the Wii is the new PS2, it really isn't. PS2 got most of the greats from 3rd parties. In this scenario PS3/360 are getting most of the highly anticipated games.

Aegus

dark10x said:

What do the other companies have?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ashhong said:
whats the point of talking about the games like Wii Fit or even Smash if the system is constantly sold out? the point of the thread should be that nintendo has to push out about 500k wiis a month. judging from januarys 270k or w/e, thats a tall order.

I don't know- it sounds like Nintendo took units from January and got em out before Christmas. I'd bet on 450-500K for February and even more in March.

Grecco

dark10x said:

It will be enough to pass the X360 in US. Thats the whole point of this thread no?

gkryhewy

Ashhong said:
whats the point of talking about the games like Wii Fit or even Smash if the system is constantly sold out? the point of the thread should be that nintendo has to push out about 400k wiis a month. judging from januarys 270k or w/e, thats a tall order.

Judging from most of 2007, 400k will be easily attainable. The problem is that they need to sell 400k more than 360 per month, which would require 700k Wiis monthly if 360 settles out to about 300k. This is essentially impossible, and doesn't even address a 360 sales spike in association with GTA4 and the anticipated price drop.

schuelma

So in under 10 replies this has turned into yet another "Wii has no games threads"

This shit has seriously got to stop

dark10x

LiquidMetal14 said:
I have a Wii and totally agree with this. This is why I disagree when some say the Wii is the new PS2, it really isn't. PS2 got most of the greats from 3rd parties. In this scenario PS3/360 are getting most of the highly anticipated games.
Exactly. Those games will sell tons of units, and that's great for Nintendo, but what of those who find none of them appealing? I love some of Nintendo's series, but I've never been into Smash Bros, have hated every Mario Kart since the SNES version (the only good one), and don't care about Wii fit.

I have no doubt that Nintendo will light the world on fire with its sales, but that doesn't mean anything to me if there isn't a single game I want to buy on the machine.

Of course, on the flipside, that's not so bad. Nintendo gets their sales and I don't have to suffer through Wii visuals and waggle. :p It's just that, when Nintendo DOES release a great game, those games are really f*cking great. Mario Galaxy and Prime 3 were AWESOME titles and I want to see more AAA Nintendo titles that I can actually enjoy hit the market.

So in under 10 replies this has turned into yet another "Wii has no games threads"
Oh no, the Wii has games all right. It simply doesn't have the type of library necessarily to become "the next PS2". That's what makes this generation so unique. One console fits all just doesn't work. That's probably for the better, though. As I said, it really is about the best thing I could have hoped for. Nintendo is successful and pleasing its fans without taking anything away from those of us who want something different.

schuelma said:
I don't know- it sounds like Nintendo took units from January and got em out before Christmas. I'd bet on 450-500K for February and even more in March.
Did Nintendo or NPD explain how the rain check pre-orders were calculated? If they were counted as part of December's NPD then that would explain why January was a little low.

Ashhong

ur right, forgot that the 1.6 million was the lead. i havent slept. see, now THAT is the point of the thread. IF they somehow manage 700k, what does that say about their supply chain? 270k in january, to 700k in feb/march?

It's business so I'll forgive Reggie.

However he sure is counting his chickens before they're hatched. But I guess it doesn't matter either way, because noone knows how many chickens there really are.

schuelma

dark10x said:
blah blah blah

We have all kinds of threads for this crap. There is one started every day

This thread isn't one of them.

Your posts here have absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

dark10x said:

blah blah we've heard it all before. stealth trolling rocks

Parl

I'm getting more and more confident of a MASSIVE March for Wii, along the lines of 850k kinda massive. Feb won't be too shabby either.

dark10x

Grecco said:
No. It just got derailed by yourself and dar10x like every other god damned wii thread these days.
Oh, OK. So tell me, what would you be discussing if there were no arguments on this matter?

Everyone would walk into the thread and post "yep, Nintendo is doing well". I mean, what's the point of the thread if there is nothing to argue about? That makes no sense to me. When it comes to sales threads like this, that should be the whole point. A peaceful sales thread is a BORING thread.

I'll never understand why people become upset with negative posts in a thread like this. Replying to those who disagree with you is the most interesting part of joining in a message board thread. Simply agreeing with everyone is, well, not a whole lot of fun.

schuelma

dark10x said:
Oh, OK. So tell me, what would you be discussing if there were no arguments on this matter?

Everyone would walk into the thread and post "yep, Nintendo is doing well". I mean, what's the point of the thread if there is nothing to argue about? That makes no sense to me. When it comes to sales threads like this, that should be the whole point. A peaceful sales thread is a BORING thread.

Exactly. It's a SALES thread. The only relevant game discussion is how well the games can push the system.

And there is something significant many of us are discussing- whether this means Nintendo is about to drastically increase their shipments.

botticus

dark10x said:

I'll never understand why people become upset with negative posts in a thread like this. Replying to those who disagree with you is the most interesting part of joining in a message board thread. Simply agreeing with everyone is, well, not a whole lot of fun.
You would be arguing about whether or not Nintendo could supply enough Wiis on a monthly basis to outsell the 360 by over 300k units a month.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Grecco said:
No. It just got derailed by yourself and dar10x like every other god damned wii thread these days.
Look in my post history, I have no hate for Wii. I am agreeing with some of what Dark10x said. Don't mistake that with trolling. Just ignore the irrational parts of things you don't agree with. Let's talk Wii supply and the OP. I think Nintendo has just been sifting more of its efforts to other territories which are evolving. Look at some of the sales coming in from some of the smaller EUR countries, looks like they are planting seeds there to further gain a foothold in those smaller markets. Hopefully they can get their production clicking with SMB/WiiFit looming.

D.Lo

Does sound like a tall order. Maybe by the end of the year, but June seems basically impossible, even if the 360 has another couple of 230k shortage months.

schuelma

dark10x said:

Because we get these fucking threads three times a day. I'm sick of them and I'm sick of Panther's goddamned Wii games list.

Make your own thread about how horrible Wii's Q2 lineup is.

I'd rather like to discuss Nintendo's shipments and selling capacity without having to fucking defend Boom Blox.

Nocebo

dark10x said:

You're saying wiifit + smash bros won't move systems? :lol

gkryhewy

dark10x said:

Here, let me help by quoting one of my earlier posts in this very thread you've shit up:

Judging from most of 2007, 400k will be easily attainable. The problem is that they need to sell 400k more than 360 per month, which would require 700k Wiis monthly if 360 settles out to about 300k. This is essentially impossible, and doesn't even address a 360 sales spike in association with GTA4 and the anticipated price drop.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:

While I agree that opposing views on the same subject makes things a lot more interesting, that's not what you did originally. Your first comment really had nothing to do with the point of the OP.

Basically, you're stirring the shit for the sake of stirring the shit.

edit: to stay on topic (and not become a hypocrite), outside of some ~800k unit shipment AND the 360 hardware not increasing much (and with GTAIV on the horizon...I don't see how it won't)....shit. At the very least, it'll be interesting to see Nintendo try.:D

dark10x

schuelma said:
Because we get these fucking threads three times a day. I'm sick of them and I'm sick of Panther's goddamned Wii games list.
Oh we do now? Would you mind showing me the three threads from yesterday and the day before? I must have missed them.

Looking forward to the other two later this afternoon.

You're saying wiifit + smash bros won't move systems?
Absolutely not. They are going to sell by the truck loads.

Basically, you're stirring the shit for the sake of stirring the shit.
Actually, not quite. There are no other engaging threads on GAF at the moment and I find these type of threads to be enjoyable at times. I'm simply bored.

I believe that, despite what people say, they also happen to enjoy defending their opinion against that of another. It may seem frustrating at times, but it keeps you coming back, doesn't it?

Also, the statement Reggie made was indeed somewhat arrogant. It is for that reason that I made the comment in that fashion.

schuelma

dark10x said:
I believe that, despite what people say, they also happen to enjoy defending their opinion against that of another. It may seem frustrating at times, but it keeps you coming back, doesn't it?

So you're admitting you're derailing the thread so you can have a nice little pissing match

Make your own goddamned thread if you're that bored.

gkryhewy

dark10x said:
Actually, not quite. There are no other engaging threads on GAF at the moment and I find these type of threads to be enjoyable at times. I'm simply bored.

When a thread isn't the type you're looking for, you make it into one? :lol

Top Bottom