• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

FirstInHell
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:06 AM)
FirstInHell's Avatar
They say first impressions aren't everything, but this guy's smug and arrogant blog picture illustrates why he gets under my skin better than anything I could post.

With that said, I am going to try to explain why I cannot stand N'Gai Croal. I will probably be flamed because my mastery of the English language is not as supreme as his is and I do not possess the extensive vocabulary that he does. However, if that is the only defense his loyal followers (the three people who comment on his blog) can muster, then I feel I have conveyed my message.

Reading this guy's blog is an exercise in pretension. I do not consider myself stupid, but his use of obscure vocabulary that completely disregards his reader demographic is insulting. I do not doubt that N'Gai knows this. Does the average person reading about videogames know what the words "epistolary" and "curmudgeon" mean? You can find obscure words like this littered in his blog posts and sprinkled in his incredibly boring guest appearances on 1up yours. A short while ago I was sent to a practical writing class. They went into the theory that there is a sweet spot to the grade level of your writing, once you go above this you come across as arrogant and condescending. Ask yourself why Readers Digest has been around for so long. I am not saying that everyone should post at a 3rd grade reading level littered with "luz", but it seems like he is trying really hard to use complex words to appear intelligent. To me it is smug and I see right through it.

Look at some headlines from his opinion pieces. They read like some boring college thesis that puts half of the auditorium to sleep.

Why do people treat him like some industry celebrity? Listen to this guy for five minutes and you will realize that his ego does not need to be fed anymore. Let's put this into perspective: He writes about videogames for Newsweek. Does the average Newsweek reader give a fuck about videogames? I have much more respect for people that write for EGM or other enthusiast publications. They understand their audience and do not treat them like a bunch of idiots who need to be lectured to (most of the time). The only reason why anyone in the industry pay any attention to this moron is because they hope to get some sort of mainstream exposure that Newsweek can provide. You could have an inanimate object blogging about games for Newsweek and I am sure game companies would still be banging down their door to take them out to dinner.
Last edited by FirstInHell; 02-27-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Orlics
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:09 AM)
Careful, the N'Gai defense force headquarters is somewhere around these parts.
KAOS
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:10 AM)
LOL!
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
(02-26-2008, 05:10 AM)
chubigans's Avatar
He reminds me of the old X-Play in that regard...the way they'd use vocabulary to try and rise themselves above the job that they're actually doing: reviewing/previewing/game journalism.

We need someone that tries to elevate games to a higher journalistic integrity, but in order to do that games have to reach that level first. Some have, the large majority hasn't. I think N'Gai has the right idea, but he's all wrong for what he's trying to do, if that makes sense.
duffey
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:11 AM)
duffey's Avatar
Didn't you just complain about this in some other thread?
sprsk
force push the doodoo rock
(02-26-2008, 05:11 AM)
sprsk's Avatar
Hey, N'gai and I now have something in common.

We've both had to suffer from long, bitter, nerdy ramblings about our character from firstinhell!

Grats N'gai!!
akachan ningen
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:11 AM)
akachan ningen's Avatar
what's so arrogant and smug about it? He's just smiling.
Tyrannical
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:12 AM)
I used to think his name N'Gai was pronounced in the politicaly incorrect way.
But yeah, he is arogant.
JDSN
You must walk home naked, dragging behind you the Stone of Shame.
(02-26-2008, 05:12 AM)
JDSN's Avatar
I really respects his views and the logic behind them, if anything he deserves more exposure.

Although that pic does looks straight out of a Mac ad.
Bizzyb
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:12 AM)
Bizzyb's Avatar
so basically you don't like him b/c he posts big words...wow
DjangoReinhardt
Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
(02-26-2008, 05:13 AM)
DjangoReinhardt's Avatar

Originally Posted by akachan ningen

what's so arrogant and smug about it? He's just smiling.

Orange shirt. Hello?
dammitmattt
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:13 AM)

Originally Posted by chubigans

He reminds me of the old X-Play in that regard...the way they'd use vocabulary to try and rise themselves above the job that they're actually doing: reviewing/previewing/game journalism.

We need someone that tries to elevate games to a higher journalistic integrity, but in order to do that games have to reach that level first. Some have, the large majority hasn't. I think N'Gai has the right idea, but he's all wrong for what he's trying to do, if that makes sense.

There is no such thing as game journalism.
acabado
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:13 AM)
His voice is so annoying
methane47
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:14 AM)
methane47's Avatar

Originally Posted by FirstInHell

Does the average person reading about videogames know what the words "epistolary" and "curmudgeon" mean?

:lol :lol :lol
Oldschoolgamer
The physical form of blasphemy
(02-26-2008, 05:14 AM)
Oldschoolgamer's Avatar
I don't know whats worse, the op or this...

Oh, and if it bothers you, get a dictionary. Some of us know what that stuff means.


Originally Posted by chubigans

He reminds me of the old X-Play in that regard...the way they'd use vocabulary to try and rise themselves above the job that they're actually doing: reviewing/previewing/game journalism.

We need someone that tries to elevate games to a higher journalistic integrity, but in order to do that games have to reach that level first. Some have, the large majority hasn't. I think N'Gai has the right idea, but he's all wrong for what he's trying to do, if that makes sense.

R u serious? He is the only one that isn't wanking off to expensive shiny "please rate my games higher" gifts-that-totally-aren't-bribery, and actually reporting what is going on. He is the only thing coming close to a "real reporter" in video game journalism.
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(02-26-2008, 05:14 AM)
Divvy's Avatar
Not that I disagree or anything, but you're contradicting yourself.

You say that he doesn't understand his gamer audience as he writes too sophisticated for the general game junkie. However, you also say that his audience isn't the average gamer.
Does not compute.
keanerie
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:14 AM)
keanerie's Avatar
I really dislike how his titles are almost always "x x x x: Or, x x x x x" - it's played out, not really even hip, and doesn't do much to convey any information.

But otherwise I don't mind his blog or his presence. He writes with feeling, and he admits a lot of his faults - how he hasn't been gaming as long as a lot of games writers, how he's not as in touch with the core of the industry as others. Despite the vocabulary, he's not trying to pass himself off as better in any pretentious way. His blog on Gerstmanngate was well done and genuine despite its presentation (all those random film stills). So despite his style, I do like him. The problem, I think, is that he has been lifted up on a pedestal because of how he writes and who his bosses are - my impression is that a lot of people see him as the best hope for a legitimate games journalist outside the realm of the hardcore enthusiast press.
Last edited by keanerie; 02-26-2008 at 05:19 AM.
Orlics
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Bizzyb

so basically you don't like him b/c he posts big words...wow

The thing is, he's a journalist. Journalists aren't supposed to use big words.
Rlan
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:15 AM)
Rlan's Avatar
I do like the guy but I feel that he gets far, FAR too philosophical on the smallest things - like how "flOw is the most violent game of the year".

I feel MTV's Stephen Totilo does this a lot as well - not in his blog, but in other appearances in other blogs or podcasts.
calder
Awesome Овечкин
Овечкин is awesome
(02-26-2008, 05:15 AM)
calder's Avatar

Originally Posted by FirstInHell

I do not consider myself stupid, but his use of obscure vocabulary that completely disregards his reader demographic is insulting.

There's a head scratcher. And anyone who doesn't know what "curmudgeon" means (wow so obscure!) needs to crack open a fucking book every now and then, holy shit.
Madman
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:15 AM)
Why is he respected/liked? Because he doesn't sound and act like a buffoon, unlike pretty much every other games "journalist".
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
(02-26-2008, 05:15 AM)
chubigans's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oldschoolgamer

R u serious? He is the only one that isn't wanking off to expensive shiny "please rate my games higher" gifts-that-totally-aren't-bribery, and actually reporting what is going on. He is the only thing coming close to a "real reporter" in video game journalism.

That's what I mean though, it could very well be N'Gai, but the videogame industry, as it stands, seems very out of place for someone like him.
Goreomedy
Console Market Analyst
(02-26-2008, 05:15 AM)
Goreomedy's Avatar
That was really creepy.
Kittonwy
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:15 AM)
Videoblog killed teh internet superstar.
Pictures came and broke your heart.

jacobs34
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:17 AM)
jacobs34's Avatar
Why such a direct attack on one guy? You're talking about someone who works in "gaming journalism," who actually challenges his audience with his columns instead of playing down to the lowest common denominator. I'm not sure what this thread accomplishes other than shows your dissaproval for one of the brightest minds in the business. I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid, but maybe in this case it would have been better suited for your myspace blog or something. Have a coke and a smile buddy.
DevilWillcry
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:17 AM)
DevilWillcry's Avatar
I like N'Gai.
sprsk
force push the doodoo rock
(02-26-2008, 05:18 AM)
sprsk's Avatar

Originally Posted by calder

There's a head scratcher. And anyone who doesn't know what "curmudgeon" means (wow so obscure!) needs to crack open a fucking book every now and then, holy shit.


They never said curmudgeon on Nickelodeon when I was growing up.
WarLox
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:18 AM)
WarLox's Avatar
ummm....



ThePeter
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:18 AM)
Racist.
BobJustBob
LOL WTF I'm so drunk
(02-26-2008, 05:18 AM)
BobJustBob's Avatar
Wah wah smart people make me feel dumb for not being smart.
FirstInHell
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:19 AM)
FirstInHell's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oldschoolgamer

I don't know whats worse, the op or this...

Oh, and if it bothers you, get a dictionary. Some of us know what that stuff means.




R u serious? He is the only one that isn't wanking off to expensive shiny "please rate my games higher" gifts-that-totally-aren't-bribery, and actually reporting what is going on. He is the only thing coming close to a "real reporter" in video game journalism.

Riveting stuff.

The topics he writes about have been discussed over and over and every point he makes has been made a million times.

"The Edge of Reason: LittleBigIdeas for LittleBigPlanet, Part I--Could LBP Become the Weapon of Choice For Armchair 2-D Gameplay Designers?"

"Now Who's Being Naive, Kay? Or, Reflections on the Fundamental Contempt In Which the Enthusiast Press Is Held By Publishers--And Its Own Employers"

"The Edge of Reason: Why It Might Be a Good Idea to Incorporate Social Sanction Into Videogames"

"Flight of the Killer B's: As Bizarre, Bungie and BioWare Flee the Redmond Hive, What Does This Mean For Microsoft Game Studios?"

"Biggie, Biggie, Biggie, Can't You See? WayForward Director Adam Tierney Explains How Hypnotizing His Very Own Big Daddy Transformed BioShock Into Art"

"Don't Push Me 'Cause I'm Close to the Edge, Or, Why Mockery of Indie Games is Merely Proof of its Growing Importance"

dammitmattt
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Oldschoolgamer

R u serious? He is the only one that isn't wanking off to expensive shiny "please rate my games higher" gifts-that-totally-aren't-bribery, and actually reporting what is going on. He is the only thing coming close to a "real reporter" in video game journalism.

I like N'Gai, but what stories has he broken. There are no game journalists. Unless you count Fatbabies and its ilk. The Dallas Observer did more investigative journalism in a few months than the enthusiast press has done in my lifetime.
XHitoshuraX
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:19 AM)
He was brilliant on 1up Yours because he didn't allow himself to be bullied into silence.
sillymonkey321
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:19 AM)
sillymonkey321's Avatar
I thought this was going to be new info on his potential podcast. :lol
MrHicks
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:21 AM)
MrHicks's Avatar

Originally Posted by WarLox

ummm....



lulz
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
(02-26-2008, 05:21 AM)
chubigans's Avatar

Originally Posted by BobJustBob

Wah wah smart people make me feel dumb for not being smart.

I'm not arguing that, the guy is, I guess, smart. It's the fact that we have such a well-versed guy in such a sometimes profoundly stupid industry (intellect/game content wise). :p

Reminds me of Idiocracy in a way. :lol
I AM JOHN!
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:21 AM)
I AM JOHN!'s Avatar

Originally Posted by BobJustBob

Wah wah smart people make me feel dumb for not being smart.

That's essentially what the crux of this thread is: "HOW DARE SOMEONE WHO WRITES ABOUT VIDEO GAMES TRY AND TREAT ME LIKE I'M AN EDUCATED PERSON! NO ONE SHOULD EVER ASPIRE TO BE ABOVE THE MATURITY LEVEL OF GAMEPRO!!!"
Kittonwy
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:21 AM)

Originally Posted by calder

There's a head scratcher. And anyone who doesn't know what "curmudgeon" means (wow so obscure!) needs to crack open a fucking book every now and then, holy shit.

I know what californication means.
FirstInHell
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:21 AM)
FirstInHell's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rlan

I do like the guy but I feel that he gets far, FAR too philosophical on the smallest things - like how "flOw is the most violent game of the year".

I feel MTV's Stephen Totilo does this a lot as well - not in his blog, but in other appearances in other blogs or podcasts.

I forgot about that one. This comment encapsulates what is annoying about his whole act. That statement was said for no reason other than to evoke a reaction and be different. He knew people would press him on it, allowing him more precious airtime to go into another long winded rant.
Jtrizzy
Junior Member
(02-26-2008, 05:21 AM)
Jtrizzy's Avatar
I like N'Gai. I don't read his blog all that often, but I do like him on podcasts and on Bonus Round with Pachter.
stewacide
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:22 AM)
stewacide's Avatar
I like him on 1up Yours precisely because he speaks proper English.
dammitmattt
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:23 AM)

Originally Posted by stewacide

I like him on 1up Yours precisely because he speaks proper English.

Is this a Garnett reference?
Oldschoolgamer
The physical form of blasphemy
(02-26-2008, 05:23 AM)
Oldschoolgamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by chubigans

That's what I mean though, it could very well be N'Gai, but the videogame industry, as it stands, seems very out of place for someone like him.

The only reason it is out of place, is because people are to in love with their favorite writers, because they gave their game of the year a full ten points, and constantly pestered various developers with the same question everyone else has asked---can leak me some infos, in which the dev says for the thousandth time, NO---, instead of reporting basic shit like "360's are prone to have more red rings than jewelry stores". Until the industry---which in actuality isn't that far from the rampant tongue holding that goes on in the real media---and the main people in it, get to the point where they are actually paying attention to anything outside of their favorite company---hint, hint, ain't happening soon---then more people like him need to step up. Might be a losing battle, but, someone needs to fight it...
dirtmonkey37
flinging feces ---->
(02-26-2008, 05:23 AM)
I think the OP is crazy.

N'Gai is the most intelligent, insightful, and essentially "journalistic" journalist out there right now. He brings with him an unparalleled degree of professionalism that few others in the industry can match (notice how I said "few others"; yes, there are others in video game media who stand up nicely against N'Gai).
Mojovonio
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:24 AM)
So would you rather Garnett bumbling?
FirstInHell
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:24 AM)
FirstInHell's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mojovonio

So would you rather Garnett bumbling?

Ok you're right I take it all back.
BboyDubC
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:25 AM)
Ah, I see... so the OP thinks that videogamers are little idiots that sit around in their basements playing videogames, and not the demographic that has GROWN UP on videogames, have Master's degrees, and work for fortune 500 companies... ok. I guess if we weren't those kind of people, we wouldn't need someone like N'Gai catering to our slightly above primordial intelligences.
Kittonwy
Banned
(02-26-2008, 05:25 AM)

Originally Posted by dammitmattt

Is this a Garnett reference?

Don't get me wrong, I like making up words but even I don't do it on every sentence.
Struct09
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:25 AM)
Struct09's Avatar
To each his own, I enjoy listening to and reading what N'Gai has to say
Zip_Zap_Rap
Member
(02-26-2008, 05:25 AM)

Originally Posted by FirstInHell

I do not consider myself stupid, but his use of obscure vocabulary that completely disregards his reader demographic is insulting.

Consider this; You may not be stupid but you certainly are not his intended readership.

N'Gai Croal's blog is part of a discourse that does not include 1up and other enthusist press publications. He is aspiring to be part of the emerging critical discourse.

While I wouldn't put his blog in the same realm as The Grey Room or The Games Design Reader, both published by MIT Press, I would argue his intended audience is closer to Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman then it is to Shane B,\ or Garrnett Lee.

I suggest you ignore him.

Thread Tools