• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "in-game communication", firmware 2.4 coming in 'Summer'

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
An unlikely source for firmware info, but Ray Maguire of SCEE dropped this while thanking retail for their support as PS3 passed 1m units in the UK:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29792/Sony-hails-retail-as-PS3-hits-1m

“Our momentum will continue with the introduction of in-game communication in the summer, firmware update 2.4 and the strongest line-up of games through our third party partners and our own studios. I’d personally like to thank our trade and business partners for helping us on the start of the PS3 journey.”

slider

Hmm. First to work out what "Summer" could mean. Good news though - although we all knew it was coming. So much for that big rumoured Spring update.

2.4 is quite a jump. But I guess in-game comms is a big deal!

Roll on the summer.

BeeDog

navanman said:
Looks like Sony are going the Microsoft route of 2 big FW updates a year.

And that fucking blows. Stupid people that complained about the more frequent updates, which weren't that frequent at all.

Ashhong

cool. i wonder when the home beta will be. wats that "maybe fake" home countdown site?

ooh ooh. summer = june = MGS4! MGS4 bundle PS3s to be 2.4 confirmeddddd.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
akachan ningen said:
Summer starts June 21, not in time for MGS4 or MGO.

I think most people loosely consider it to start at the beginning of June. Heck, here in Ireland we consider it to start in May :p

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had it by MGS4's release.

AmMortal

Banned
gofreak said:
I think most people loosely consider it to start at the beginning of June. Heck, here in Ireland we consider it to start in May :p

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had it by MGS4's release.

They should aim for that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Timing would also fit with previous statements that PS3 would be updated to BD 2.0 when standalones supporting that start shipping..sony will be shipping BD 2.0 compliant standalones in 'summer' also..

slider

I confidently predict that we'll have it by mid to late May. God knows they've been working on it long enough.

Make a note kids - slider has laid it on the line: mid to late May.

lherre

Accurate
free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

Zoc

Home, in-game XMB, voice chat... all things for the multiplayer gamer. Anything coming for those of us who won't touch online MP with a ten-foot pole?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
That could be at least 3 months after GTA gets released, boo. The game better have custom soundtracks built in!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Teetris said:
That could be at least 3 months after GTA gets released, boo. The game better have custom soundtracks built in!

Not sure what custom soundtracks would have to do with 'in-game communication'? Also, at least 3 months after? It could also mean a month after GTA, or 2..

No45

Zoc said:
Home, in-game XMB, voice chat... all things for the multiplayer gamer. Anything coming for those of us who won't touch online MP with a ten-foot pole?
What other functionality do you want from the firmware? I'm not hugely into online MP either so the firmware does pretty much everything I could ask for.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
In-game communicaton?

Makes me wonder who I have been talking to in PS3 online games up until now. Bots? I also hear voices. Am I crazy?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Zoc said:

You're going to get a free 11 foot barge pole so you can start playing online.

Shinblade

Banned
GUYS....

THE LETTER DOESN'T SPECIFICALLY STATE THAT FIRMWARE 2.4 AND IN-GAME COMS ARE ONE AND THE SAME.

2.4 could be important for lots of other reasons... Home... Profiles.... Trophies...

Etc etc etc etc

nofi

Shinblade said:
GUYS....

THE LETTER DOESN'T SPECIFICALLY STATE THAT FIRMWARE 2.4 AND IN-GAME COMS ARE ONE AND THE SAME.

2.4 could be important for lots of other reasons... Home... Profiles.... Trophies...

Etc etc etc etc

This is true.

AND devs can add in-game XMB if they want to anyway - this will just be a retro-fit for older games, I'd imagine.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
f that , i want my monthly update back , i want my PS3 to be Up to Date with the latest fixes , codecs , stealth stuff and other things , all complainers ( about the monthly FW update ) Should Be Shot Between Eyes

alba

Little is the new Big
Looking forward to them releasing it earlier, possibly for GTA IV's release :) (or Store redesign!)

please? *puppyeyes*

Sounds like 2.2 will be the new PSN store and 2.3 will be BD Profile 2.0. With any luck, 2.4 will also include Home. We'll see. I'm not expecting software-based PS2 emulation by the summer, but with any luck they can get PSP feature parity in there somewhere (i'm thinking RSS feed and Skype).

Kaim Odyssey said:
Is this in game XMB or a new Feature ???

A surprise right now. I'll wait for the PS.Blog to tell me about it. There's a few things they promised anyways. [especially the blu-ray features]

Top Bottom