• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army of Two thread...

Xater

I took one for the team and just bought Army of Two. And to up the stakes I even picked up the PS3 version.

2zznepg.jpg

So first things first: I don't know if it is the 6 extra months in development or Ea is getting their stuff together because the PS3 version seems to be very competent. I can only compare it to the videos I have seen of the 360 version but I can not make out any major differences. The framerate is also rock solid so far.

I played the training mission before the guys become mercenaries and the first real mission. It's pretty fun. It's bit less cover oriented as Gears of War and you do not stick to it. Stuff like blind firering still works just fine. The AI is not that clever (I play on medium, hard has to be unlocked) but the enemies deal a good amount of damage so you still have some good challenge.

You can't pick up any weapons, just ammo but as you may already know you can buy new weapons and upgrades for them. Sometimes even during missions.

I was not able to try any of the Mp modes yet because no one is only.

That's it so far for a first impression feel free to ask questions, I will try to answer them.

PS: There may be more to the story than it seems. There were some hints to stuff to come already I think.

Review of One. HEH

I'm waiting for a multiplayer impression first and foremost. The game looks great and I plan on picking it up sometime soon. But seriously, if you have any co-op or multiplayer experiences to share, please do.

I don't see how you would even want to play this solo. It goes against everything the title stands for.

DoomGyver

I need to know ONE thing:

Does it take an entire clip of ammo to take down one guy?

Or is it, 1-2 shots to the head and he drops?

Xater

jet1911 said:
Tomorrow in the US.

This and I think official release in Europe is the 7th but I got it early.

To add something to my impressionsI only encountered one slow texture loading till now. That's a record for any UE3 on consoles so far, every other game that uses this engine seems to suffer more from it.

Haklong

I really want this game just for the co op options. How are the controls? Also is online co op drop in and out?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Well how does the game hold up SP wise? I don't know anyone who is going to buy this game so i'll probably be playing alone :(

str8-h4x

I've been looking forward to this title since it first debuted. I'm not going to play it until friday night when a friend comes over for the multi.

Cardon

Glad to hear things are good so far. I'll be getting my copy from Gamefly later this week so hopefully I'll dig the game as much as you. But I have a question: Does the game have any sort of PS3 accomplishments? I don't necessarily mean for Home but are the 360's achievements just ported over to the PS3 like they are for Burnout?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Did you tried playing it in local co-op? Does it support online co-op? Is the game funny (the trailers suggesting there would be tons of funny exchanges between the co-op characters)

BeeDog

I have a nasty feeling this is one of those games that gives a great first impression, but the novelty wears off really fast. Hopefully I'm wrong.

chico

ill wait for the reviews...im always suspecting a mediocre game when the reviews appear after the official release date.

Haklong

Bust Nak said:
EA + 6 months delay + no reviews. I won't get my hopes up.

Man, I know...

Sucks but I really like a good co op game. Was hoping this would hold me over until Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 comes out. I will hope for the best but keep my expectations low.

Xater

Team-mate AI? Good? Bad?

It's holding up pretty good. It only happened to me twice that he didn't come over to revive me but that might have been because we were under heavy fire from a turrent.

I need to know ONE thing:

Does it take an entire clip of ammo to take down one guy?

Or is it, 1-2 shots to the head and he drops?

Headshots definately do way more damage + weapon upgrades help too.

so is this the worst Official thread ever?

Go fuck yourself? Were does it say official thread?

Well how does the game hold up SP wise? I don't know anyone who is going to buy this game so i'll probably be playing alone :(

I am doing just fine. You have some simple commands: Regroup, Advance, Hold

You can do variations of them to tell him how aggressive he should be. There is also the option to activate a little camera from the perspective of your partner.

What button shoots - R1 or R2?

R2 shoots. There is no option to change the controller layout.

No reviews yet from the big sites?

Not yet and by it's definately not a 9+ game. It's fun I would expect reviews to range from 7-8,5 from what I have palyed so far. Should shine in Co-op though.

No multiplayer impressions from me so far because no one is online!

DoomGyver

Haklong said:
Man, I know...

Sucks but I really like a good co op game. Was hoping this would hold me over until Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 comes out. I will hope for the best but keep my expectations low.

You know, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 comes out March 18th and the co-op and storyline on it is top notch.

I really want to buy AoT but, Im gonna wait until reviews (i know i know)

EA scares me

Blimblim said:
Never a good sign...

I hope it's just a precautionary embargo, since the reviews the first time around were apparently going to be horrible and it's not due to an obvious lack of quality. That's probably not the case but I was really looking forward to a good coop game.

Xater said:
It's holding up pretty good. It only happened to me twice that he didn't come over to revive me but that might have been because we were under heavy fire from a turrent.

Cool. In that case, I'm sold. Will probably be splitting my time on this evenly between online and offline and if no glaring AI problems are evident yet, that's good enough for me. Cheers Xater!

BeeDog

The Nordic magazine Gamereactor has reviewed this game, they gave it an 8/10. Though I wouldn't really trust them that much when it comes to reviews.

Haklong

Full Recovery said:
You know, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 comes out March 18th and the co-op and storyline on it is top notch.

I really want to buy AoT but, Im gonna wait until reviews (i know i know)

EA scares me

I forgot about Vegas 2. I played the first one co op a lot of times too. My problem with it is that it seems to be a bit more of the same (which is still good I guess). This on the other hand is a bit different. With the moves you and the character can do together. It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to it. But if this turns out to be bad I can fall back on Vegas 2.

Kingpen

I might go reserve it today with 5 bucks down. I'm 90% sure that I'll pick it up with some tradebait, but I think most of the reviews I think are embargo'ed until tonight at some time.

I'm interested in how you feel the 1P is holding up the most. I will play the game co-op but i'm always looking out for 'number 1' myself in case online isn't an option. After doing some research of the game, I really like the premise of the story line and the weapon upgrading aspect.

AnthonyP

I remember the first time I saw Army of Two at E3 06 they were really pumping it up in the presentation. Seriously, sitting in a demo room with the game's lead designer is the worst way to see a game because they really try to take minor things and make them sound great. You really have to try to see past the salesman approach and look at the game.

I remember when me and my co-publisher at Gamer 2.0 left the presentation we were just like "That is one ambitious project and I don't know if they're going to pull it off." The single player for Army of Two heavily relied upon amazing AI both from your teammate and the enemies. Not just good AI, but amazing AI; anything less and it wouldn't be nearly as good.

I haven't really seen it personally since then, but this project just seems like it went over their heads. Hopefully they pulled it off, and let us know what you think when you get a bit more time with it. I'm curious to see what you think of it.

Nizz

R2 shoots. There is no option to change the controller layout
Dammitt, why do they keep copy/pasting the 360's layout to the Sixaxis? IT DOESN'T WORK WELL! Fuck, R1 man, R fuckin 1....

Top Bottom