• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Costanza
Banned
(03-05-2008, 03:58 AM)
UPDATE: GOOD JOB, GAF. WE GOT THIS ON THE FRONT PAGE OF DIGG Let's see Rockstar avoid the issue now!

http://digg.com/xbox/This_is_absolut..._360_is_broken

I think I've seen enough reports of the game freezing up where I'm pretty sure it's not just an isolated issue.

At first I was thinking my 360 was about to red ring when my game froze 3 times in a row, but then MaizeRage25 started saying in the official thread that he was having the same problems.. so I looked on GameFAQs... and others say their game freezed. There's quite a bit more below...

There's also been complaints about the shoddy framerate on a PS2 PORT, audio glitches and brief lockups.

So obviously this isn't a problem with the console... but did Rockstar really let the game through QA in this state?

edit:

Here's quite a few more reports of the issue:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=41778463
http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/messa...read.id=626697
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=25845
http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/pow...s--73769.phtml
http://xboxer.tv/2008/03/360_bully_a...dden_mess.html
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=41783188
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=41783996
http://forums.xbox.com/18888355/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/18893618/ShowPost.aspx

Another update:
Shacknews and Kotaku have both posted about it now, along with MEGATONik. Let's hope we get a response from Rockstar soon! Keep the diggs coming!

I just noticed the 1up review:

But despite the interesting narrative and excellent sandbox experience, the 360 package is somewhat spoiled by the less-than-stellar performance of the graphics engine itself. The framerate is erratic and dips every time the game loads a new area. This is particularly noticeable when leaving the confines of Bullworth Academy for the surrounding townships. Another distraction is the inconsistent visual details of the in-game world; while a significant amount of time was obviously spent sprucing up the school campus with high-res textures and models, the rest of the world runs the gambit from merely bland to absolute eyesore. There's also a significant amount of pop-in every time the camera moves quickly around the player. Perhaps worst of all, we had several instances where the game froze midmission, and since you can't save at any moment it sometimes necessitated replaying a significant amount of the game. It's really a shame that these technical problems detract from what is an otherwise outstanding experience.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3166819&p=4

Rockstar responds
! (GAF shoutout too):
http://kotaku.com/364455/rockstar-re...edition-issues

We have just become aware of the issues people are having with Bully Scholarship Edition on Xbox 360. It appears that some older 360s are experiencing framerate issues, freezes and other problems. You have our word that we never experienced any of this in QA - in any of our offices or at Microsoft. I am horrified, and we are now working around the clock to rectify this situation. Thanks to Neo-Gaf for bringing this matter to our attention. We love our games and put a huge amount of energy and care into making them all that they can be. We would never shove anything out the door - we never have and never will. We apologise to everyone affected for the inconvenience. Respectfully, Sam Houser

EDIT: Patch is coming within a week!

"We are very aware of the problems some people have been experiencing with the Xbox 360 version of Bully: Scholarship Edition and have been doing everything within our powers to resolve these issues as quickly as possible," said PR spokesperson Darlan Monterisi. "We will be releasing a title update through Xbox Live within the next week that we are confident will rectify the problem.

"We apologize wholeheartedly for the inconvenience that this matter has caused some owners of the game."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51660

FINAL UPDATE: As of March 20th, the patch is up!
Last edited by Costanza; 03-20-2008 at 09:13 PM.
MaizeRage25
(03-05-2008, 04:00 AM)
Posting in here just to help get a handle on how widespread freezing issues are.
BobM
(03-05-2008, 04:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Costanza

I think I've seen enough reports of the game freezing up where I'm pretty sure it's not just an isolated issue.

At first I was thinking it my 360 was about to red ring when my game froze 3 times in a row, but then MaizeRage25 started saying in the official thread that he was having the same problems.. so I looked on GameFAQs... and some more people said their game freezed. I'm sure I could've found more if I looked harder.

Others are complaining about the shoddy framerate on a PS2 PORT, audio glitches and brief lockups.

So obviously this isn't a problem with the console... but did Rockstar really let the game through QA in this state?

if this is true then that is a damn shame. i am really looking forward to playing this one. But if a gmae freezez on me enough times i will stop playing.
FromTheFuture
EA where art thou
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
Doesn't surprise me. Bully didn't do well enough to warrant a good next-gen port I thought, and sure enough that's what happened. Too bad.
duk
Banned
PS2 more powerful than 360 confirmed
Scopebob Sniperpants
oh noes. I was planning on picking this title up at some point.
I loved the ps2 version so much.

This is weak. WEAK.
Rekki-Maru
i don't think R* made this port, didn't mad doc or someone do it,,
SonOfABeep
Banned
(03-05-2008, 04:03 AM)
well that makes that decision much easier.

Will wait for $20
Costanza
Banned

Originally Posted by Rekki-Maru

i don't think R* made this port, didn't mad doc or someone do it,,

Their logo is still on the front of the box.. so I'm thinking they're at the very least involved in the port even if they did pass it off to another dev.
Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)
See what happens when you allow consoles to be patched after street date
DMPrince

Originally Posted by duk

PS2 more powerful than 360 and wii confirmed

:o
Insaniac
(03-05-2008, 04:04 AM)
anybody have impressions on Wii vers?
Zombie James
(03-05-2008, 04:04 AM)
Sounds like Bully is Rockstar's Resident Evil 4. Port it quick, get the cash, use it to work on the important stuff.
Rekki-Maru
(03-05-2008, 04:05 AM)

Their logo is still on the front of the box.. so I'm thinking they're at the very least involved in the port even if they did pass it off to another dev.

what's the name of the other dev?
speculawyer
clairvoyancy is no excuse for trollin'
(03-05-2008, 04:06 AM)
I sympathize with your issue and R* does deserve some bitching assuming the problems are real. However, an outfit called 'Mad Doc' software did the port, so they get the main blame.
Imperial Hot
(03-05-2008, 04:07 AM)
Ports are hard.
speculawyer
(03-05-2008, 04:08 AM)
I'll fire up my copy and report back.
h3ro

Originally Posted by duk

:lol
evilromero

Originally Posted by _leech_

Sounds like Bully is Rockstar's Resident Evil 4. Port it quick, get the cash, use it to work on the important stuff.

Hopefully Bully 2. Hands down my favorite PS2 title.
MaizeRage25
Rockstar's name is on the box. Ultimately, they are responsible IMO.
Reilly
Self-Confessed Team Killer Scumbag, Want my Gamertag?
(03-05-2008, 04:10 AM)

The RE4 PS2 port is really good. Unless you're talking PC, but they didn't do that one.
The-Switcher
Banned

Originally Posted by snack

Ports are hard.

For Rockstar, their damn near impossible.
jj984jj
He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

Hmm? I don't recall the RE4 ports having any problems... both got quite a bit of praise because of how well they were done on PS2 and Wii. Unless you mean the PC port (but even that they ended up fixing and it wasn't even their fault in the first place).
Grimm Fandango
It's the Vancouver's studio first game, no?
Xellos
(03-05-2008, 04:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Insaniac

anybody have impressions on Wii vers?

Its the PS2 version with better shadows, a better framerate, and motion control fighting/aiming/minigames. I played it for a few hours this afternoon and did not experience this freezing bug.
Rekki-Maru
(03-05-2008, 04:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Grimm Fandango

It's the Vancouver's studio first game, no?

if Rockstar Vancouver handled the port, i doubt there would be any problems.
neojubei
Will drop pants for Sony.
(03-05-2008, 04:12 AM)

Originally Posted by duk

Is this game any good, I am on the fence on buying it. the Ps2 version i mean.
evilromero
(03-05-2008, 04:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Xellos

Its the PS2 version with better shadows, a better framerate, and motion control fighting/aiming/minigames. I played it for a few hours this afternoon and did not experience this freezing bug.

And from what I can see in the comparison video much better color resolution.
Costanza
Banned
(03-05-2008, 04:13 AM)
... and the achievements are glitched http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=41773909 :lol
MaizeRage25
(03-05-2008, 04:14 AM)

... and the achievements are glitched http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=41773909 :lol

Free Achievements! Sales skyrocket!
Rekki-Maru
(03-05-2008, 04:15 AM)

Originally Posted by neojubei

yea, it's worth taking a look at.
MaizeRage25
(03-05-2008, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by neojubei

Seemed pretty fun before I started having technical issues.
tabsina
(03-05-2008, 04:18 AM)
Did Mad Doc handle the wii version too?
RumFore
Banned
(03-05-2008, 04:18 AM)
I bet this thread gets more posts than the official thread. Way to go at killing a thread Costanza.:lol
Ferro
(03-05-2008, 04:19 AM)
I hope they will release a patch soon for this, I really want to play the 360 version since I skipped on the PS2 version first time around ...

Last edited by Ferro; 03-05-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Costanza
Banned
(03-05-2008, 04:20 AM)

Originally Posted by RumFore

I bet this thread gets more posts than the official thread. Way to go at killing a thread Costanza.:lol

:lol Well, does it really deserve the official thread if we can't even play it without freezing? :p
MaizeRage25
(03-05-2008, 04:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Ferro

The studio in question "Mad Doc" is the Rockstar Vancouver studio after is got bought out and renamed. They are the same jolly folks that did the orginal game Bully. But on another note I hope they will release a patch soon for this, I really want to play the 360 version since I skipped on the PS2 version first time around ...

If a patch is released, it better be soon. I only got this game to kill time before GTA IV.
Costanza
Banned
(03-05-2008, 04:21 AM)

Originally Posted by MaizeRage25

If a patch is released, it better be soon. I only got this game to kill time before GTA IV.

It'd have to be at the very least 2-3 weeks because of Microsoft's certification process.
PataHikari
Should quit gaming and do something he enjoys for once
(03-05-2008, 04:22 AM)
Looks like I'll be getting the Wii version instead.
raYne
(03-05-2008, 04:23 AM)
Is it weird that I'm not surprised?
speculawyer
(03-05-2008, 04:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Ferro

The studio in question "Mad Doc" is the Rockstar Vancouver studio after is got bought out and renamed. They are the same jolly folks that did the orginal game Bully.

No. Just No.

Rockstar Vancouver is Barking Dog Studio after it got acquired.

Mad Doc is a complete different developer based in Andover Massachussetts.

Why do people like you just make shit up? I'll never understand that.

Edit: Report so far . . . no freezes, but the framerate is unsteady even during cutscenes. That is kinda pathetic on its own.
Last edited by speculawyer; 03-05-2008 at 04:31 AM.
jj984jj
He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
(03-05-2008, 04:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Xellos

No problems then? I remember the PS2 version had a few frame rate issues even if it was always playable, I missed out on the game back then due to the amount of RPGs being released at the time but I would like to play it now if this version has no issues. If the 360 version is buggy then it's either PS2 or Wii.
Mr_Furious
(03-05-2008, 04:33 AM)
Pathetic. Whelp, scratch one more game off my want list. Thanks for saving me money, R*.
backflip10019
Ugh, this is sad. :(
Costanza
Banned

Originally Posted by speculawyer

No. Just No.

Rockstar Vancouver is Barking Dog Studio after it got acquired.

Mad Doc is a complete different developer based in Andover Massachussetts.

Why do people like you just make shit up? I'll never understand that.

Edit: Report so far . . . no freezes, but the framerate is unsteady even during cutscenes. That is kinda pathetic on its own.

Mine didn't freeze until I was around 2 missions before the Halloween one.. then it froze twice during Halloween. It finally let me beat it and I saved and quit.
Grimm Fandango
(03-05-2008, 04:34 AM)

the framerate is unsteady even during cutscenes. That is kinda pathetic on its own.

That's the little extra something in all Rockstar games. It sucks =(
Bizzyb
Banned
(03-05-2008, 04:37 AM)

wow, wtf happened to q&a, and testing for this?

edit: good thing I'm getting the Wii ver
Mutagenic
Permanent Junior Member
(03-05-2008, 04:38 AM)

I sympathize with your issue and R* does deserve some bitching assuming the problems are real. However, an outfit called 'Mad Doc' software did the port, so they get the main blame.

Who cares if Rockstar had someone else do the port? Rockstar is responsible for the title, regardless. They're the ones to blame for letting the game get released in such a state. Damn.
Costanza
Banned
(03-05-2008, 04:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Mutagenic

Who cares if Rockstar had someone else do the port? Rockstar is responsible for the title, regardless. They're the ones to blame for letting the game get released in such a state. Damn.

yep, exactly.