• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 2.2 Update now Live

nib95

Banned
Go go go!

(Mod Edit: Changelog for the lazy)
Main features in system software update version 2.20

* BD-LIVE support
Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE) is now supported. Visit the BD-Live guide in Help & Support under PS3 > Video at eu.playstation.com for more details.

* Copying playlists
You can now copy playlists that you create in Music and Photo to a PSP system. Visit the Copying playlists guide in Help & Support under PS3 > Getting started > Managing Files on PS3 at eu.playstation.com for more details.

Other new or revised features in version 2.20

Settings

* The way you register Bluetooth devices has changed. Also, you can now manage your registered devices.
* A [BD Internet Connection] setting has been added under [BD/DVD Settings].
* An [Audio Output Device] setting has been added under [Remote Play Settings].

Photo

* You can now display an image while editing a playlist.

Music

* You can now play a music track while editing a playlist.

Video

* You can now play DivX and WMV format files that are 2GB or larger.
* You can now display subtitles in DivX-format video files.
* Resume play can now be used on a BD or DVD even if the PS3 system has been turned off or the disc has been ejected. However, there are some discs on which resume play cannot be used.
* A [Mosquito Noise Reduction] option has been added under [AV Settings] in the control panel for standard DVDs.
* You can now play BD-R version 1.2 (LTH* BD-R) discs.
* LTH, or low to high, is a recording method that supports organic dye write-once BD-R media.

Network

* You can now change some PS3 system settings during remote play.
* [Save Target] has been added as an option under [File] in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser. This option lets you save a file that is linked from a Web page, such as an image or video file, or other type of file, to your PS3 system's hard drive or storage media.
* The Internet browser now displays Web pages more quickly.
* Using the Internet browser, you can now play a linked video file* as it is being downloaded.
* Some types of video files cannot be viewed in this manner and must be downloaded completely before playback.

jmd494

a Master Ninja said:
Is this anything more than Blu-Ray 2.0?
Stealth updates are likely...plus...Sony also stated we'd see:

The ability to copy PS3 Music and Photo playlists to a PSP system.

We introduced the ability to create Music and Photo playlists on the PS3 in firmware update v2.0.

Now you can easily export your playlists to your PSP.

You can now play DivX and WMV format files that are over 2 GB. I

n addition, you can now display subtitles when viewing DivX files. Resume Play - begin playing a DVD or BD disc from the point where you previously stopped it, even if you eject the disc and insert a different movie or game.

Use your PSP as a remote control to play back your music files on your PS3 without turning on your TV.

The Internet browser now displays some web pages faster.

In addition [Save Target] has been added as an option under file. This option lets you save a file that is linked to a web page to your PS3 hard drive or storage media.

nib95

Banned
Apparently the web browser is optimised in this update. It will be interesting to see if it's much faster. Also, the DivX over 2GB playback facility is a nice addition too.

Justin Dailey said:

We introduced the ability to create Music and Photo playlists on the PS3 in firmware update v2.0.

n addition, you can now display subtitles when viewing DivX files. Resume Play - begin playing a DVD or BD disc from the point where you previously stopped it, even if you eject the disc and insert a different movie or game.

Use your PSP as a remote control to play back your music files on your PS3 without turning on your TV.

In addition [Save Target] has been added as an option under file. This option lets you save a file that is linked to a web page to your PS3 hard drive or storage media.

Sounds good.

lupinko

Say it with me here folks.

DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!

jmd494

AceBandage said:
Err, what?

I'll rephrase. Sometimes, when updating the firmware on either the PS3 or PSP, between the download and the install, a prompt will appear on your TV screen that lists all the features of the new firmware. However, this is hit or miss and this prompt only appears on some firmware updates.

My question is, did a list appear during this update or not?

ManaByte

Justin Dailey said:
I'll rephrase. Sometimes, when updating the firmware on either the PS3 or PSP, between the download and the install, a prompt will appear on your TV screen that lists all the features of the new firmware. However, this is hit or miss and this prompt only appears on some firmware updates.

Yes.

Justin Dailey said:

Nope.

nib95

Banned
lupinko said:
Say it with me here folks.

DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!
DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!DTS-HD MA!!!

Please explain.

Justin Dailey said:

Yes but I didn't see any surprises.

Barakov

Justin Dailey said:

It lists some of the features.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Downloading.

For those that have already installed, how do the subs work? Is that like on PC where you have to name the srt file like the video file and that's it?

iceatcs

TTP said:
Downloading.

For those that have already installed, how do the subs work? Is that like on PC where you have to name the srt file like the video file and that's it?

I am going to test soon, but which folder?

Is it root:\PS3\VIDEOS or root:\VIDEOS

RiZ III

TTP said:
Downloading.

When was support for subs ever mentioned ??

HybridXL said:
anyone know what the update does apart from bluray crap?
yes and he posted it 10 minutes ago.
Justin Dailey said:

KurowaSan

changelog says

* Playlist that were created in Music and Photo can now be copied along with the content they contain to a PSP system. You can play the content on the PSP system in the order that was set on the PS3.

* BD Profile 2.0 is now supported. With BDs that support BD-Live, you can access Internet content for the BD.

* Resume play can now be used on a BD or DVD even if the PS3 system has been turned off or the disc has been ejected. However, there are some discs on which resume play cannot be used.

* DivX content that exceeds 2 GB can now be played. Also, subtitles can now be displayed for DivX content.

Top Bottom