• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo remakes 'Cube controller, and we laugh

{Mike}

Banned
thumb463x_whitepad.jpg

Hello thar white GameCube controller! Man, what a deal! For $20, you get an old controller for the Wii, which isn't wireless mind you. Instead of re-releasing WaveBirds, which are pretty awesome and hard to come by, we get this atrocity. Stay in Japan!

nofi

{Mike} said:
Hello thar white GameCube controller! Man, what a deal! For $20, you get an old controller for the Wii, which isn't wireless mind you. Instead of re-releasing WaveBirds, which are pretty awesome and hard to come by, we get this atrocity. Stay in Japan!

Not a fan, huh? I loved the GC controller.

Alcibiades

wow, for a very long time I've been hoping (and thought it would be smart) for a Wii-branded Gamecube controller...

Keeping them in production is smart since many Wii games offer the option and Smash purists prefer it

3 metre cable? Sounds like an improvement to me. Shame Super Mario World sucks on this because the lack of mapped controls.

Sharp

Slavik81 said:
I don't get it. What did they to do make this worse than a standard Gamecube controller?
I picked up two GC controllers for $12 each recently so they're kind of overpriced.

Alcibiades

in the US, even corded Cube controllers are getting hard to come by unless you look around (I know Target here didn't have them, and amazon.com is out of stock), so this is a good thing.

PolyGone

Banned
I don't see the point. The Wii isn't supposed to be about "classic" controls anyway, even if some games do give you the option. It seems like they're back-pedaling a bit by doing this. Also, its wired. If they had managed to squeeze the rf shit into it, at least it would be something new.

Sharp said:
I picked up two GC controllers for $12 each recently so they're kind of overpriced.

They really are. This is a good thing.

Not as good as more Wavebirds, or Wii-branded Wavebirds with rumble, but still.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
It's good they're not letting the market dry up, I think. Those babies are getting pretty high prices on eBay here in Australia, because the GameCube sold like shit.

I wish they could make GC controllers plug into the botton of the remote a la CC controller. I hate being tethered to the console. I'd also settle for some kind of wavebird receiver that doesn't make the Wii look stupid.

At the very least, it'd be nice if these were branded with the Wii logo instead of the GC logo.

What are the chances of them updating the channel UI to support GameCube? I'm lazy but I find it archaic using two controllers to boot into a game.
Mr. Pointy said:
Shit, I'd buy it. Just so I could say that I have a white official GC controller.
You have friends who would care?

Radioheadrule, I don't see what's wrong with branding it GameCube. At least nobody is confused then.

Night_Trekker said:
They really are. This is a good thing.

Not as good as more Wavebirds, or Wii-branded Wavebirds with rumble, but still.
that would have been nice, but the 3m cord will help...i might pick one up

Visualante said:
You have friends who would care?
Not really. I just like having stuff that other people find hard to get, like the emerald green Cube pad.

Also, I have 3 GC controllers and I'd like a 4th.

Also, 3m cable.

haowan

I think I'd like to try a 25% or 30% larger GC controller. After a while playing, those triggers really hurt my fingers. I still like it a lot as a controller, but it is a little small. Terrible d-pad too. And this one should be wireless!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
haowan said:
I think I'd like to try a 25% or 30% larger GC controller. After a while playing, those triggers really hurt my fingers. I still like it a lot as a controller, but it is a little small. Terrible d-pad too. And this one should be wireless!

Absoloutely with you there, worst shoulder buttons in all history.

apujanata

I'm not sure whether you realized this yet, but the 3m cable length is longer than GC's original controller length (2m). It is even longer than PS2's cable length (2.5 m).

One of the complain I have of the GC controller is the cable length, which is quite shorter than PS2's. I will buy this longer new GC controller, because the price is cheap, and the cable is longer.

haowan

McBradders said:
Absoloutely with you there, worst shoulder buttons in all history.

Hell yes - I love their give and feel, but the placement is absolutely not right for me.

Then again, I'm a bit strange... I really like the original Xbox gigantocontroller more than Controller S.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
haowan said:
Hell yes - I love their give and feel, but the placement is absolutely not right for me.

Then again, I'm a bit strange... I really like the original Xbox gigantocontroller more than Controller S.

gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg

Monocle

It's good that Nintendo is keeping these controllers in production. Brawl will ensure I'll eventually need to replace the GCN controllers I currently use.

McBradders said:

Whoa, I want about four of those.

ACiD

Like was already stated, they should just release a GC controller that plugs into the Wiimote. That is wireless enough for me. Although I already have a Wavebird, but I'd like more than one wireless GC controller so this news sucks.

SCReuter said:
Don't listen to the OP, Nintendo. Bring that beauty over to North America.

Agreed, the wired controller is better. Rumble plus no burning batteries? I certainly prefer it.

And yes, a white GC controller is cool. Fits the Wii quite well...

{Mike}

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Agreed, the wired controller is better. Rumble plus no burning batteries? I certainly prefer it.

And yes, a white GC controller is cool. Fits the Wii quite well...

Wires are last gen. Oh wait, this controller too, nvm.

Ilchymis

alistairw said:
It's good they're not letting the market dry up, I think. Those babies are getting pretty high prices on eBay here in Australia, because the GameCube sold like shit.

I'm trying not to laugh when thinking of the GameCube's failure as a regional thing. That's a worldwide happening, buddy.

Ilchymis said:
I'm trying not to laugh when thinking of the GameCube's failure as a regional thing. That's a worldwide happening, buddy.

It didn't really fail in the US. It underperformed, but it didn't really fail. 12 million sold? That's not great, certainly, but "failure"? I guess it depends on how you define the term, but I wouldn't say it was a failure.

Would be great if they released a rumble version of the Wavebird that used bluetooth instead of the propiatory connection. I hate having that adaptor sticking out of my console!

Of course it would have to register with the Wii as a Classic Controller and there would have to be a F/W update to allow the Wii to set aside some system resources when playing GCN games to allow Classic Controllers to be used, the Home menu to be used and to allow the use of the Wii`s Flash memory to act as a virtual memory card but they should still do it anyway!

cvxfreak

This move makes a lot of sense. Many of the top-selling games such as Brawl and even RE4 Wii support the GameCube controller. Not to mention the backwards compatibility of the system. It's also nice to have a matching color. :D

I wish they remade the WaveBird myself, but the 3m cord sounds nice too.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Unless you play games in a fucking tunnel, I really don't see why there's a problem with a controller that has a sizable wire to connect to the console.

Johnkers

I'd be very tempted to buy a wireless one, especially with Rumble and if I could use it as a classic controller and Gamecube Controller

They said that they "lost the mold" needed to manufacture the wavebird didn't they?

Maybe this is all they can do for now. And frankly, a white gamecube controller with a 3-meter/10-foot cord for $20 is pretty good, and will do a lot to reduce the horrible inflationary prices going on as the supply of old controllers goes down while demand goes up.

Xater

Shit I ordered a GC controller not too long ago from Play-asia because I had real problems finding a new one for a decent price. Seems like I paid too much now anyway.

usea

This is great, I want one. It's hard to find gamecube controllers, and when you do they're $25. This has a longer cord, isn't platinum (the only ones you find now), and is cheaper.

This plugging into the wii remote is the worst idea I've ever heard. Having to hold the wii remote in my lap like a ball and chain is not exactly what I want to do while trying to play a game. It's the worst thing about the classic controller.

They need to let you:
1) operate the wii system menu thing with the gamecube controller
and 2) Have some setting so that the wii automatically starts up a game in the drive when you turn it in.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Would be great if they released a rumble version of the Wavebird that used bluetooth instead of the propiatory connection. I hate having that adaptor sticking out of my console!

get outta my dreams and into my car!

Ramune

It used to be the case where you couldn't find them, but now I see two Wavebirds at my local Gamestop in the Wii accessories section. Although they are $29.99 a pop.

Top Bottom