• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon coming in 2008? Likely Diamond/Pearl Expansion

Rocksteady33

I tried searching however wasn't really sure what to search, but either way hope this isn't old.

From Serebii.net

* Latest CoroCoro comes out tomorrow hints that a new game is coming this year.
* Shows a time line of Pokemon titles and then their follow ups Blue (why not Yellow?), Crystal and Emerald.
* Leaves a gap open for a game in 2008.
* More information to come in next issue

Not much, but it's something. Also anyone know what Pokemon is in the banner of Serebii.net? Is that some new Pokemon?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hopefully it has a some twist or better graphics or something. I want more Pokemon but I need a hook to bait me

Rocksteady33

Rodeo Clown said:
It was originally Red and Green. Then Blue.

I know that, but Blue simply fixed the graphical issue that Green was lacking on, Yellow was the true expansion (fixed Missingo, improved graphics, Pikachu mini-games and different Pokemon selection and locations.)

Still waiting for Diamond + Pearl. No point in bothering if Nintendo's just going to release a perfect version a year or two later.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Rocksteady33 said:
I know that, but Blue simply fixed the graphical issue that Green was lacking on, Yellow was the true expansion (fixed Missingo, improved graphics, Pikachu mini-games and different Pokemon selection and locations.)
Probably because Yellow was mainly a tie-in with the anime.

Shockgamer said:
Still waiting for Diamond + Pearl. No point in bothering if Nintendo's just going to release a perfect version a year or two later.
Where Australia? Anyways, I've dip in again for an expansion.

acevans2

Who gives a shit about the graphics: make the UI playable. Takes half an hour to get done what should take 5-10 minutes in a Pokemon game.

Orlics

acevans2 said:
Who gives a shit about the graphics: make the UI playable. Takes half an hour to get done what should take 5-10 minutes in a Pokemon game.

This.

While the metagame has changed considerably over the past few games of the series, the battle system has not aged well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ninja Kn1ght said:
Awesome, I fear the re-emergence of my Pokémon addiction.

Pretty much. I'm going to buy this, trade my Pokemon from Diamond over from it, and keep my addiction alive.

EDIT: Is Coro-Coro weekly? And could this be something that was embargoed for the Media Summit? (though I doubt it since that was a western event)

Akai

Aw, I was hoping GameFreak had finally given up the whole "3 Pokemon games per generation" idea and moved onto something new (like a Drill Dozer sequel!), but oh well...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Akai said:
Aw, I was hoping GameFreak had finally given up the whole "3 Pokemon games per generation" idea and moved onto something new (like a Drill Dozer sequel!), but oh well...

And miss out on all that money? Naive I say

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Akai said:

Third version ALWAYS has something for the diehard.

Yellow has surfing Pikachu and better graphics.

Crystal has better graphics, Extremespeed Dragonite, Baton Passing Eevee.

Emerald has the Battle Frontier, Johto starters, and a bunch of other cool little bits.

I love the third version.

Jiggy

Hcoregamer00 said:
No!!!

Remake Pokemon Gold and Silver >_<
Beaten by the first post. I love the third versions all the time, though, but I'd rather have the remakes after seeing the bang-up job they did with Fire Red and Leaf Green. Do Johto justice, guys. :(

probune

Please make the game run at a higher framerate. I know it's a strange request but D+P is so slow compared to the GBA games. So slow.

Jiggy

probune said:
Please make the game run at a higher framerate. I know it's a strange request but D+P is so slow compared to the GBA games. So slow.
And not just for reason of the framerate. :(

zaccheus

Banned
scrap pokemon past 251 and remake it from the ground up with active time battle systems that dont bore us todeath kthx

lyre

Jiggy37 said:
Beaten by the first post. I love the third versions all the time, though, but I'd rather have the remakes after seeing the bang-up job they did with Fire Red and Leaf Green. Do Johto justice, guys. :(
Fire Red and Leaf Green were terrible. Gamefreaks stripped away feature, game modes, and basic foundations that the newer games introduced and shoehorned them into a useless segment that only takes place after you beat the game. Hell, you can't even breed monsters until you beat the game.

And since Gold and Silver were more or less clusterfucks of improperly implemented features, a FireRed/LeafGreen quality remake will be a waste of time and resources.

Instead, just give us Pokemon Girasol/Opal. Blieve.

probune said:
Di/Pe were slow not solely because of poor framerate. It was just an overall poorly designed and programmed game.

Let's hope the Girasol/Opal brings the games back up to the Advance games standards.

Also, expand on the underground side game. Best game within a game evar!

Again, Pokemon Girasol/Opal. Blieve.

zaccheus said:
scrap pokemon past 251 and remake it from the ground up with active time battle systems that dont bore us todeath kthx
STFU Squarebot.

Firestorm

+1 sale if the new version permanently nerfs Stealth Rock on every game card it interacts with.

zaccheus said:

Fuck off.

Bogus

"Blah's rain dance caused it to rain!"

Well, that's cool, I guess. I'll send out Empoleon to make use of it!

"Rain continues to fall."

Right, I figured. Okay, Empoleon, use Brine!

...Yeah I get the idea, it's still raining! Empoleon, use --

I told you I get the id--

But--

Fix this and I will buy the expansion.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
What the fuck is a girasol? Sounds like a suppository.

990768;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

Cynar

lyre said:
Fire Red and Leaf Green were terrible. Gamefreaks stripped away feature, game modes, and basic foundations that the newer games introduced and shoehorned them into a useless segment that only takes place after you beat the game. Hell, you can't even breed monsters until you beat the game.

And since Gold and Silver were more or less clusterfucks of improperly implemented features, a FireRed/LeafGreen quality remake will be a waste of time and resources.

Yes yes and more yes. I really hate seeing people ask for remakes. :(

Jiggy

For the record, it's not that I actually want a G/S remake--I thought those were the worst in the series by a pretty wide margin, as far as the single-player goes--so much as that I think it's going to happen eventually no matter what, and if it's going to happen anyway I'd rather see it before the third D/P version.

zaccheus said:
Yeah, uh, how about no to either of those things. :| If you want a bunch of monsters and a real-time battle system, wait for Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Knowing Scamco, it's not like they won't make a billion more Tales games using the monster capturing engine if it's even moderately successful. (Incidentally, I'm looking forward to that game quite a bit, but the point is that you're trying to rip the Pokemon out of Pokemon. :|)

zaccheus

Banned
lyre said:
STFU Squarebot.

i am not or never have been affiliated with square

you made an assumption, that i, have some kind of affinity for square games. you couldn't be more wrong. in fact, my first 'square game' was final fantasy 9. and the only reason i played that was because of how cool the black mages looked, that game was boring, but i was intent on finishing it. soon after, i decided to play 10. it was pretty. then i decided to delve into the roots of squaresoft and i sampled parts of 7 and got about to the part where
cait sith betrays you
then stopped playing, then i indulged myself in what i thought was the superior ff8, but stopped playing about 20 minutes in. after that i obtained some older final fantasies from some friends which I enjoyed immensely (much more so than ff8 but that is besides the point). but before all of this, maybe 5 years before i even knew what final fantasy was, i was a rabid pokemon fan. ah yes, at the ripe age of 13, instead of studying for my math tests or smoking weed which was actually Bermuda grass given from high school students as a prank, i instead spent many hours leveling up my team of pokemons. i even remember the time i walked home, crying because i wanted a real life pikachu, and said i would give my ankles for one. how cool would it be to have one and show it off at school. that was always my dream. anyway, first it blue version. i didnt like the red version because i told my brother that red was for girls, so i made him take it. i leveled all my pokemons to 100 but never even did it legitimately. the lure of rare candy was too great. i was thoroughly upset with pokemon stadium 1, which is coincidentally sitting on my table right now. but after the release of gold silver, which i enjoyed very much with my team of lugia, espeon, my blastoise from blue version and some other pokemons i was pleasantly surprised with pokemon stadium 2. then i went to highschool and focused on important things like the HOLOCAUST and LORD OF THE FLIES. i dont think ive played a pokemon game for more than 10 minutes after that. but i still enjoy what it was. probably all nostalgia.

SO DONT CALL ME A SQUAREBOT YOU WEENIE

probune

zaccheus said:

There's a reason why this series is named Pokemon and not Final Fantasy.

zaccheus said:
i am not or never have been affiliated with square

you made an assumption, that i, have some kind of affinity for square games.

You only asked them to use the atb system which is from Final Fantasy. I don't see how anyone could see that.

Personally, I'd like to see the game (regardless if it's an expansion of D/P or a remake of G/S/C) sped up just a bit. Perhaps better use of the touch screen in battle: Instead of six buttons, or big menu buttons (I can use the d-pad for that) give me secondary status updates like poison, spikes, or weather effects that I can touch to get more information about.

Because otherwise, the battle system is just fine.

lyre

alistairw said:
What the fuck is a girasol? Sounds like a suppository.

yummers for teh buttz/IMG][/QUOTE]
While a great concept, I don't think that would go too well with Nintendo and teh kiddeez.

Girasol is as gemstone and is a kind of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girasol#Other_varieties_of_opal]opal[/url]. It's also the gemstone the third Di/Pe legendary was named after, Giratina (dragon/ghost types).
[img]http://www.tecnocino.it/img/giratina.png

zaccheus said:

This:
Firestorm said:
Fuck off.

Jiggy

Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. zaccheus forced himself to finish FFIX despite not liking it, never got through FFVII, put down FFVIII after twenty minutes, and wants Pokemon to start using the active time battle system because that would apparently stop the series from boring him to death.

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. zaccheus forced himself to finish FFIX despite not liking it, never got through FFVII, put down FFVIII after twenty minutes, and wants Pokemon to start using the active time battle system because that would apparently stop the series from boring him to death.

thisisgafdude.gif

zaccheus

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. zaccheus found FFIX boring but forced himself to finish it, couldn't get through FFVII, and couldn't get through more than twenty minutes of FFVIII, but wants Pokemon to start using the active time battle system because that would apparently stop the series from boring him to death.

yes. final fantasy games are boring, and due to my ADD i couldnt follow the stories!

however, pokemon has always had a special place in my heart. but not when the pokemon look like penises. then i must quickly minimize when my mother comes by.

think of the active battle system like chess with a timer, huzzah!

honestly though. pokemon is a great concept. you're a kid that goes out to collect these monsters that you train to fight against other kids. its an epic setting but its battle system, i honestly believe, is kind of boring. but what do i know? i only played the game for my whole young adult life. i remember spending countless hours peering into the little screen. I remeber longgg longggg ago seeing what was supposed to be a taste of what the new, 3d pokemon was going to look like on the new dolphin system. it looked awesome. to think i would be able to battle my pokemon in real time. i dont know. i think what im trying to say is that ive always wanted battles just like the ones in the tv show, because honestly, thats what i really liked as a kid. i like pokemon, i have a whole box of the pokemon cards, but i cant get into the series anymore because the battle system bores me to death. but by all means! i have 2 friends that play the game just as enthusiastically as i did many years ago, and i hold no prejudice against them! they seem to hold the same hatred for the idea of pokemon going down the route of real time as well

Firestorm

zaccheus said:
yes. final fantasy games are boring, and due to my ADD i couldnt follow the stories!

however, pokemon has always had a special place in my heart. but not when the pokemon look like penises. then i must quickly minimize when my mother comes by.

honestly though. pokemon is a great concept. you're a kid that goes out to collect these monsters that you train to fight against other kids. its an epic setting but its battle system, i honestly believe, is kind of boring. but what do i know? i only played the game for my whole young adult life. i remember spending countless hours peering into the little screen. I remeber longgg longggg ago seeing what was supposed to be a taste of what the new, 3d pokemon was going to look like on the new dolphin system. it looked awesome. to think i would be able to battle my pokemon in real time. i dont know. i think what im trying to say is that ive always wanted battles just like the ones in the tv show, because honestly, thats what i really liked as a kid. i like pokemon, i have a whole box of the pokemon cards, but i cant get into the series anymore because the battle system bores me to death. but by all means! i have 2 friends that play the game just as enthusiastically as i did many years ago, and i hold no prejudice against them! they seem to hold the same hatred for the idea of pokemon going down the route of real time as well

You'd be quite surprised at how little you know actually. I was a complete pokefreak back then too. Still had no idea how deep the rabbit hole went. And it's hardly an epic setting >_>; Maybe for an MMO, but as a single player game... snooze.

zaccheus

Banned
see! how cool would a pokemon MMO be??

id totally want to join a group of like 20 other people to take down a legendary pokemon to fight over who gets it! just like ffxi!

Sagitario

lyre said:
While a great concept, I don't think that would go too well with Nintendo and teh kiddeez.

Girasol is as gemstone and is a kind of opal. It's also the gemstone the third Di/Pe legendary was named after, Giratina (dragon/ghost types).
giratina.png

I had no idea that "Girasol" is the name of a gemstone in English... but I hope that's not the name because:

1. [Spanish]Girasol[/Spanish] = [English]Sunflower[/English]
2. [Spanish] Girasol -> Gira sol [/Spanish]= Rotate sun (making reference to the flower)...
3. I don't like that word...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
lyre said:

wat

Teknoman

zaccheus said:

ADD really isnt an excuse for not following stories. Seriously, maybe you just werent intrested in what they had to tell. Though since it seemed you played FFXI, you'd really have to follow the story to be able to complete the missions properly...so not sure where you came up with that.

Also turn based battles are what make true pokemon games...pokemon games.

I still say they should've continued to refined FFX's turn based battle system, and so help me god if Atlus ever turns SMT or Persona games into non-turn based games...

Also when has a pokemon EVER looked like genitalia of any kind?

please make paragraphs

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
zaccheus said:

Don't make up shit and use ADD as a lame excuse like that.

Top Bottom