• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

paper Mario port to DS in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kodiak said:
why would they port paper mario when they already have the established Mario and Luigi franchise?
Same reason they've ported over other Mario, Kirby, Zelda games even though they already had portable equivalents. More people to sell to for little effort.

has this been confirmed yet?

Dragona Akehi said:
3) This might be fake, or a reimagining of PM64 or a completely new game. When things come through RuliWeb, they tend to get a little frazzled thanks to the internet version of Telephone.

don't say that :( :( :( :( :(

jts

...hate me...
JoshuaJSlone said:
Same reason they've ported over other Mario, Kirby, Zelda games even though they already had portable equivalents. More people to sell to for little effort.
I don't think it's a bad thing to have the same game available in a variety of systems for more people to enjoy it. Especially when we're talking about good games. in fact i think it's a great thing.

This is only not true when the people in charge to port the game are talented devs who could be producing awesome games.
Other than that, whatever. A good port is always better than shovelware.

I am excited for PM64 DS. The original was one of my favorite Mario games ever. I'd love to play it again on a portable.

SMRPG was total ass, though (in terms of graphics and gameplay). It wasn't fun at all. I played it after the original Paper Mario, and it felt primitive and cumbersome. It felt very awkward, and it didn't help that I was playing Chrono Trigger (<3) at the same time. It wouldn't have sucked so bad if it had a good story, but it was definitely Square's worst effort in the SNES era and it showed.

CurseoftheGods said:
I am excited for PM64 DS. The original was one of my favorite Mario games ever. I'd love to play it again on a portable.

SMRPG was total ass, though (in terms of graphics and gameplay). It wasn't fun at all. I played it after the original Paper Mario, and it felt primitive and cumbersome. It felt very awkward, and it didn't help that I was playing Chrono Trigger (<3) at the same time. It wouldn't have sucked so bad if it had a good story, but it was definitely Square's worst effort in the SNES era and it showed.
I agree! PM64 > SMRPG

:D

ZeoVGM

Banned
Chris Michael said:
BEST. MARIO RPG. EVER.

I agree.

(Except for the SNES game.)

(And Paper Mario 2 was better than the first Paper Mario too.)

Kind of lame if it's just a port. A new Paper Mario on DS would be awesome.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
omg rite said:
How could you not "stand" it when it was basically the same exact gameplay?
I found the pacing to be awful in comparison. The Peach segments, the shadow town, and the arena fight chapter were big low points (I liked the arena's writing a lot, though. Gonzales!). Not a fan of the final boss having no real buildup, either.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
2i2acmw.gif

ic8zdz.gif

bluemax

Banned
Never played the original and I'm guessing its a far superior game to SMRPG so this is pretty decent news.

Hope they polish the graphics up some...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
bluemax said:
Never played the original and I'm guessing its a far superior game to SMRPG so this is pretty decent news.

Hope they polish the graphics up some...
Actually, the graphics have held up really well. One of the few N64 games that still looks good.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What's with all the SMRPG hate on this board, anyways?

The only bad Mario RPG is Partners in Time.

Talladega Knight said:
Sweet I guess. Wish it was Super Mario RPG instead though.

OMG yes. That game was so awesome. Would buy it on DS in a second. Considering how much crap they keep putting on VC each week, I'm not holding my breath for it to show up soon.

bluemax

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
What's with all the SMRPG hate on this board, anyways?

The only bad Mario RPG is Partners in Time.

PiT > SMRPG. SMRPG is ugly, feels nothing like a Mario game, and just overall sucks.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'd prefer a Mario RPG port as this game was never released over here... Paper Mario is way easier to come by not only in Europe, so it would be great if they ported Mario RPG instead.

Jiggy

Notorious_Roy said:
What more remakes are coming for DS?
Just Fire Emblem, Kirby Super Star, (apparently) Paper Mario, and (inevitably) the third version of Pokemon are enough to say that Nintendo is going remake-happy on DS. I honestly can't think of any fully original first-party content they've got lined up for the future off the top of my head.

(But I will be there day one for all of those games except PM.)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:
In essence: the vast majority of people have no taste.

I think "poor taste" or "limited taste" is a better term... I mean, high quality stuff does tend to do rather well over the long term, and sometimes it does well in the short term as well. I think it's less having "no taste" and more being easily sidetracked by the mediocre.

Can't get excited about this. Make a new game and I'll buy it, IntSys; port this when it just hit the VC (for 1/3 the price of a new DS game) and I'll probably be hoping a little for it to tank. Sorry. :/

Well, probably not a STRAIGHT port. It'll probably have touch controls and such.

However, I was really looking forward to a game with the ability to draw on the environment, cut the environment, and erase obstacles.

Soul4ger

Man, Superstar Saga was my LEAST favorite of the Mario RPGs. Probably goes:

Paper Mario 2 > Paper Mario > Partners in Time > SMRPG >>> Superstar Saga

I appreciate the humor and great writing in Superstar Saga, but I just thought it was a little TOO long-winded. Oh, well.

Anyway, I hope this is a new game, or at least a re-imagining.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
That's interesting, especially considering that the game has a VC release. Still, I'd triple dip, especially if it has tweaked gameplay or new content!

ethelred

Soul4ger said:
Man, Superstar Saga was my LEAST favorite of the Mario RPGs. Probably goes:

Paper Mario 2 > Paper Mario > Partners in Time > SMRPG >>> Superstar Saga

I appreciate the humor and great writing in Superstar Saga, but I just thought it was a little TOO long-winded. Oh, well.

Anyway, I hope this is a new game, or at least a re-imagining.

Much of the hate Partners gets is significantly overblown. It's a great game and a worthy followup to Superstar Saga. In fact, it has better gameplay -- an improved battle system, better bosses, better dungeons. Those plusess make up for the game's lapses (hub vs. explorable overworld, less creative villain).

ethelred said:
Much of the hate Partners gets is significantly overblown. It's a great game and a worthy followup to Superstar Saga. In fact, it has better gameplay -- an improved battle system, better bosses, better dungeons. Those plusess make up for the game's lapses (hub vs. explorable overworld, less creative villain).

Alphadream also did a good job building a DS game testing it on what was essentially two GBAs and a SNES pad, if I recall correctly. They got it out damn early on the platform.

I really hope they're not gone. The M&L series was full of charm and cleverness. (Other than the confusing control method switching.)

I guess I'm just weird, because here's my order:

Super Mario RPG
Superstar Saga
Paper Mario 2
Paper Mario
Partners in Time (only because I haven't passed it yet)

A Link to the Snitch said:
If Alphadream were to make M&L3, I would not mind seeing it in 3D. Either looking kind of like SM64DS, or cel-shaded.

Uh, no. That would lose every bit of M&L's charm. Maybe sprites on 3D backgrounds, but not fully 3D.

The Hermit

Wait, so SMRPG is now the worst Mario Rpg? I must be in bizzare gaf....

I think the DS game is the worst, funny since I though the GBA one pure genius.

Zeni

I'm also one of the few that prefer SMRPG to the Paper Mario's. I'd buy it in a second if it came out for DS. It was one of the first turn-based RPGs I've played, and to this day, I still find myself occasionally pressing the A button before an attack connects when playing other RPGs (critical hit!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom