• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UTIII: Epic didn't steal user created map, unbans user from forum, GAF wipes off egg.

Does anyone have better pics? I can certainly see the similarities, but Epics map seems to be superior, if not fairly different.

But yea, Epic handled this poorly. From what I've seen of a lot of things though, Epic doesn't handle things very well on their forums. I've seen a lot of accusations towards them on the forums from things other than mods that were fair and were closed. Mostly doing with the quality of GoW PC :lol

Metalmurphy said:
Cargo Boat - Check
Artic Ocean - Check
Same Background - Check
Same Bridge - Check
Some icebergs - Check
Same snow - Check

user gets banned from forums - Check
Thread gets deleted - Check

Sure... it's all just a big coincidence... :lol
wtf? did you actually look at the clip in the video and compare to his map?

Lobster

Banned
I think the real problem here is that the user was banned.

Why was the user banned and all his threads closed?

Obviously shows somethings up.

Anyone try to defend EPIC should ask themselves this:

If EPIC didn't steal the map, why ban the user and leave no traces behind?

Lobster said:
I think the real problem here is that the user was banned.

Why was the user banned and all his threads closed?

Obviously shows somethings up.

Anyone try to defend EPIC should ask themselves this:

If EPIC didn't steal the map, why ban the user and leave no traces behind?
what do you mean by no trace?

his map thread was up, his complaint threads were deleted.

that's where i looked at several of the pics of his map.

and anyone else could look at the pictures of his map, compare them to the video, and come to the conclusion that they aren't really similar other than the setting.

why was he banned? well, i dunno, scream ripoff etc? do the mods at gaf explain every ban?

Lobster

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
what do you mean by no trace?

his map thread was up, his complaint threads were deleted.

that's where i looked at several of the pics of his map.

and anyone else could look at the pictures of his map, compare them to the video, and come to the conclusion that they aren't really similar other than the setting.

why was he banned? well, i dunno, scream ripoff etc? do the mods at gaf explain every ban?

Sorry, judging by this thread it seemed like there were no traces. And no there was no possible way to research before posting as the forums are down.

NeoGAF mods explain every ban to the user.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
What you don't see in the trailer is the hidden feature of that boat, that PROVES that Epic came up with it on their own, using their unparalleled imagination.

1zlg3ll.jpg

Lobster said:

emot-laffo.gif

How do we know Eid simply downloaded UT3 from some internet site?

What if he's an actual pirate and he took over a ship carrying copies of the game? That would be awesome.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Guybrush Threepwood said:
How do we know Eid simply downloaded UT3 from some internet site?

What if he's an actual pirate and he took over a ship carrying copies of the game? That would be awesome.
See above. No one can hijack an Epic boat.

"NeoGAF mods explain every ban to the user."

No, they give the person banned why they were banned no one else. How is this any different? I can read why he was banned just like I can't read specifically why people were banned on here.

Lobster said:
Sorry, judging by this thread it seemed like there were no traces. And no there was no possible way to research before posting as the forums are down.

yes, to the user, but not to the world at large.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Victrix said:
That one is curious, because sure, you can 'refuse the license' and return it - except most (all?) stores won't accept opened software for refund.
that has always been something that's made me laugh regarding the license agreements of software.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"NeoGAF mods explain every ban to the user."

No, they give the person banned why they were banned no one else. How is this any different? I can read why he was banned just like I can't read specifically why people were banned on here.
That's what he was saying.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
DIE IN A PIT OF ACIDIC BADGER PISS EPIC, YOU HEATHENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, it might be best to wait for a proper comparison of the two maps and the full reason for the mod map creators banning before going mental over this.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I think that the important thing about a map is the layout and not the setting. Boats in the artic have been a common theme in videogames. Also, I remember a couple of UT maps with a boat as a setting (not in the artic specifically). If the layout of the EPIC map is different from the layout of the modder map, then there is no argument here. Also, we cannot compare the layout of both maps until we play them both and compare, videos are not enough evidence.

Victrix said:
That one is curious, because sure, you can 'refuse the license' and return it - except most (all?) stores won't accept opened software for refund.

The key in this is that I can not return software for a refund, no store will accept it.

Therefore, EULA's are not valid contracts in the current software retail environment.

Haeleos

A little off topic: Why is UT3 not $29.95 on Steam yet? It is everywhere else, even on other digital distribution sites.

Metalmurphy said:
You can clearly see the background and icebergs on this video:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33032.html

I already posted a pic showing the bridge is the same. I was wrong about the snow though. Thought I had seen it for some reason.
yes, you posted a pic, except it shows they don't look alike at all.
they're shaped differently, designed differently, and other than the setting (they're ships! in the arctic!) they are pretty different.

i also find it hilarious that you are so up in arms at this after hosting models someone else made on your website, despite his wishes against it.

2lvycxs.jpg

ith3r

Banned
I love how a lot of people are calling for boycotts and crying foul based just on what the OP wrote and nothing more.

Even more lovable is the fact that he has a clear agenda on this board, and most people following his claims share this same agenda.

Also, does anyone really believe that, if Epic posted clarification about this, it would change anything? This is just another excuse to demonstrate allegiance to the hive mind.

Weenerz

Banned
PataHikari said:
The key in this is that I can not return software for a refund, no store will accept it.

Therefore, EULA's are not valid contracts in the current software retail environment.

The publishers are able to issue refunds if you contact them and do some other crap I believe.

after watching the gametrailers video and comparing it to the pic the OP posted the two maps are nothing alike in terms of layout.

overreaction ftl

Icy

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
after watching the gametrailers video and comparing it to the pic the OP posted the two maps are nothing alike in terms of layout.

overreaction ftl

the only thing alike are boats in the arctic.. watch out everyone else who decides to use boats in the arctic.. you're stealing his map!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's not a copy/paste job, but it wouldn't be far fetched to believe that Epic's arctic ship was inspired by the one on the forum. Unless it's a common theme and there are a ton of arctic ship levels in FPS games that I'm not aware of.

borsdy said:
The custom map is much more appealing to look at but the Epic map probably has better gameplay, though.
yeah, the epic map has some game design thought in how stuff is spread to supply more cover.

SapientWolf said:
It's not a copy/paste job, but it wouldn't be far fetched to believe that Epic's arctic ship was inspired by the one on the forum. Unless it's a common theme and there are a ton of arctic ship levels in FPS games that I'm not aware of.
well, several people have mentioned other games with something similar.

Top Bottom