• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Gigglepoo
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:28 PM)
Gigglepoo's Avatar
I just got an offer for my dream job today: video game reviewer. For a real website (I had been been writing for a site you've never heard). Needless to say, I'm pumped. My first day is May 5th, looks like the best Cinco de Mayo ever.

Anyone else have their dream job? I'm not even sure how I should react at this point. I've been gearing up for this gig since I was four years old.
Suikoguy
I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
(04-21-2008, 08:28 PM)
Suikoguy's Avatar
I take it you can't post what site?
funkmastergeneral
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:29 PM)
funkmastergeneral's Avatar
you lucky son of a bitch
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(04-21-2008, 08:29 PM)
RubxQub's Avatar
What site?

And I assumed this thread would be about getting your dick sucked for $$$ or something...
bjork
(04-21-2008, 08:30 PM)
bjork's Avatar
My dream job would be to somehow channel my memory of totally unimportant things into monetary gain, but not at an hourly rate.
Escape Goat
(04-21-2008, 08:30 PM)
congrats on your non-job!
Ferrio
real-time lotion physics
(04-21-2008, 08:31 PM)
Ferrio's Avatar
Gamespot replacing people?
Zeed
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Gigglepoo

I just got an offer for my dream job today: video game reviewer. For a real website (I had been been writing for a site you've never heard).

Okay, you've posted this, now you have to come clean. Which website are you working for? Don't make me dig up your personal info.
Gigglepoo
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:32 PM)
Gigglepoo's Avatar
I could post the site, but I'd rather keep my anonymity. The point is that I'm getting paid real money to review games on a site people actually read. I'm ecstatic. I've had a personal blog for 5 years and had no readers (figuratively) or money (literally), I just did it for fun. And now? Top of the world!

Next Dream Job: Work for Rare in some creative capacity.

Later: Own the 49ers.
YYZ
Junior Member
(04-21-2008, 08:33 PM)
YYZ's Avatar
Writing for a site or physically working in their office?
Linkhero1
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:34 PM)
Linkhero1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gigglepoo

I could post the site, but I'd rather keep my anonymity. The point is that I'm getting paid real money to review games on a site people actually read. I'm ecstatic. I've had a personal blog for 5 years and had no readers (figuratively) or money (literally), I just did it for fun. And now? Top of the world!

Next Dream Job: Work for Rare in some creative capacity.

Later: Own the 49ers.

So which is it IGN, Gamespot or EGM? jk

I know that you live in Bay Area D:
RiZ III
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:34 PM)
RiZ III's Avatar
Good job dude!
RumpledForeskin
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:35 PM)

Originally Posted by bjork

My dream job would be to somehow channel my memory of totally unimportant things into monetary gain, but not at an hourly rate.

You could do a Kramer-style reality tour.
WordAssassin
(04-21-2008, 08:35 PM)
WordAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by bjork

My dream job would be to somehow channel my memory of totally unimportant things into monetary gain, but not at an hourly rate.

:lol :lol

That reminds me of my cousin saying "I wish I could get paid to identify cars from a distance." :lol :lol He's actually really good at it too.
oneHeero
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:35 PM)
oneHeero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ferrio

Gamespot replacing people?

Thats what I thought.
Gigglepoo
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:36 PM)
Gigglepoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by YYZ

Writing for a site or physically working in their office?

Physically working. I've written for two websites and one newspaper from home before, but this seems a little more "real". I'll have actual co-workers and maybe even a coffee machine.

The point of the thread is to not only share my happiness, but see if anyone else reached their goal.
Suburban Cowboy
(04-21-2008, 08:36 PM)

Originally Posted by bjork

My dream job would be to somehow channel my memory of totally unimportant things into monetary gain, but not at an hourly rate.

$5 to tell me everything you know.
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(04-21-2008, 08:37 PM)
RubxQub's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gigglepoo

The point of the thread is to brag about my video game reviewing job, and not tell anyone about where I work so they can mysteriously questions my validity.

Come clean!
Mecha_Infantry
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:39 PM)
Mecha_Infantry's Avatar
I did 2 porn films about 2 years ago for a small company in the UK, for 50 per job. And was a games tester for SEGA for a year (in and out). So 2 great jobs
KevinCow
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:39 PM)
KevinCow's Avatar
I used to think being a game reviewer would be awesome. I mean, you get paid to play games and then write about them! How great is that?

But then I thought about it more, and I decided that it really would suck. You've got deadlines, so you can't take your time and explore every nook and cranny of the game, you have to pretty much rush through it. You have to force yourself through shitty games, and you have to play games that you don't enjoy. Then when all is said and done, and you spend time thinking about the pros and cons of the game and type up your review, most people will just look at the score and nothing else, and the people who do read it probably won't be reading it to help them decide whether to check the game out or not, they'll probably just be fans of the game looking for inaccuracies or opinions they don't agree with so they can bitch about it.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(04-21-2008, 08:39 PM)
alr1ght's Avatar
They closed GFW, you've been had.
Hollywood Duo
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:41 PM)
Hollywood Duo's Avatar
Congrats. Are you going to keep writing under the Gigglepoo pseudonym?
RiZ III
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:41 PM)
RiZ III's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gigglepoo

The point of the thread is to not only share my happiness, but see if anyone else reached their goal.

O. Well in that case, yes I have :D Game programmer for a big title. Thought it would take me years to actually get onto a bigger title, but thankfully I was wrong.
bjork
(04-21-2008, 08:42 PM)
bjork's Avatar
OP: you should write your first review so that the first letter of each paragraph spells NEOGAF. That way we can find you eventually without you giving it up yourself.
DemonSwordsman
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Gigglepoo

Physically working. I've written for two websites and one newspaper from home before, but this seems a little more "real". I'll have actual co-workers and maybe even a coffee machine.

The point of the thread is to not only share my happiness, but see if anyone else reached their goal.

theres no point in hiding it, because the moment your first review comes out and GAF rips it apart you'll have to reveal yourself
Zeed
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Gigglepoo

I could post the site, but I'd rather keep my anonymity.

I believe I've found your full name, home address, phone number, email address, a personal photo, and which high school you graduated from.

I won't post any of it, but if you like keeping your anonymity you should avoid these teasing kind of threads.

Just saying.
Gigglepoo
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:42 PM)
Gigglepoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by RiZ III

O. Well in that case, yes I have :D Game programmer for a big title. Thought it would take me years to actually get onto a bigger title, but thankfully I was wrong.

So how did you celebrate?

Originally Posted by Zeed

I believe I've found your full name, home address, phone number, email address, a personal photo, and which high school you graduated from.

Yeah, it's probably not hard. I just don't want to post on GAF as PROFESSIONAL REVIEWER, though. I'm just Gigglepoo here. I'm going to try to stay away from threads that conflict with my profession. I spend most of my time in OT anyway.

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

Congrats. Are you going to keep writing under the Gigglepoo pseudonym?

Here? Yes. And it's my Gamertags. But not professionally unfortunately.

I always wanted my writing pseudonym to be Nigel Weathersby. My former editor wouldn't let me use it, though.
Last edited by Gigglepoo; 04-21-2008 at 08:45 PM.
GDJustin
stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
(04-21-2008, 08:43 PM)
Congrats dude.

But as someone that's reviewed games for a living for over 2 years, my advice is that you might want to temper your enthusiasm a little bit.

My intention isn't to piss in your cheerios, but you need to understand that work, no matter WHAT your job is, is still work. Don't get my wrong, I compare what I do to what a lot of my friends from HS are doing now (electrical engineer, bank teller, accountant, etc) and I'm like "fuck man I made out ok" - but there's still lots of days where I'm like "fuck this job."

So... yeah. Being excited is good. Being enthusiastic is good. But you need to go into it with realistic expectations. They wouldn't be paying you if it wasn't real work.
funkmastergeneral
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:43 PM)
funkmastergeneral's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeed

I believe I've found your full name, home address, phone number, email address, a personal photo, and which high school you graduated from.

I won't post any of it, but if you like keeping your anonymity you should avoid these teasing kind of threads.

Just saying.

dude you're pretty creepy
Gowans
(04-21-2008, 08:44 PM)
Gowans's Avatar
CONGRATS Gigglepoo, guess you can get some GTA playing in just before you start :) so happy for you man.

I love my job at the moment but I got through to a final interview stage for RealTime Worlds to concept, design and deliver their Armoury/Rockstar Social Club type site and web apps for APB.

So excited, just found out I didn't get the position boo!!!!! :(
DemonSwordsman
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:46 PM)
OH dunno if i should do this

pic removd
Last edited by DemonSwordsman; 04-21-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Gigglepoo
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:47 PM)
Gigglepoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by GDJustin

But as someone that's reviewed games for a living for over 2 years, my advice is that you might want to temper your enthusiasm a little bit.

I agree, it is still a job. I did a freelance review for some awful games recently, and it was hard just getting through them. But I love playing and critiquing games, so until I get enough money to buy the Niners, I'll be happy.
BigBlackGamer
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:47 PM)
BigBlackGamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeed

I believe I've found your full name, home address, phone number, email address, a personal photo, and which high school you graduated from.

I won't post any of it, but if you like keeping your anonymity you should avoid these teasing kind of threads.

Just saying.

[IMG]http://i26.************/wswsug.gif[/IMG]
Zeed
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:49 PM)

Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral

dude you're pretty creepy

I mainly use my powers for good.

Originally Posted by DemonSwordsman

OH dunno if i should do this

*Pic*

Yeah don't be a dick.

Originally Posted by Gigglepoo

Yeah, it's probably not hard. I just don't want to post on GAF as PROFESSIONAL REVIEWER, though. I'm just Gigglepoo here. I'm going to try to stay away from threads that conflict with my profession. I spend most of my time in OT anyway.

That's admirable, I suppose. I get where you're coming from. I won't be the one to out you, but I still think that if you didn't want to call attention to it you shouldn't have made a thread.
Last edited by Zeed; 04-21-2008 at 08:54 PM.
bjork
(04-21-2008, 08:52 PM)
bjork's Avatar

Originally Posted by GDJustin

Congrats dude.

But as someone that's reviewed games for a living for over 2 years, my advice is that you might want to temper your enthusiasm a little bit.

My intention isn't to piss in your cheerios, but you need to understand that work, no matter WHAT your job is, is still work. Don't get my wrong, I compare what I do to what a lot of my friends from HS are doing now (electrical engineer, bank teller, accountant, etc) and I'm like "fuck man I made out ok" - but there's still lots of days where I'm like "fuck this job."

So... yeah. Being excited is good. Being enthusiastic is good. But you need to go into it with realistic expectations. They wouldn't be paying you if it wasn't real work.

So then what was all that shit you gave me in that thread about awhile ago? :lol
Leonsito
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:57 PM)
Leonsito's Avatar
Video Game Reviewer would be a shitty work for me. Don't make a work from your hobby imo.

If you like that kind of job, congrats ;)
Gigglepoo
Member
(04-21-2008, 08:58 PM)
Gigglepoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeed

That's admirable, I suppose. I get where you're coming from. I won't be the one to out you, but I still think that if you didn't want to call attention to it you shouldn't have made a thread.

I honestly don't care that people will find out who I am. It's inevitable. It's not worth trying to hide since my identity will come out at some point.
Zeed
Banned
(04-21-2008, 08:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Gigglepoo

I honestly don't care that people will find out who I am. It's inevitable. It's not worth trying to hide since my identity will come out at some point.

Well then...are you Nicholas?

It's either that or one other possibility but I'm inclined to say Nicholas.
bjork
(04-21-2008, 09:01 PM)
bjork's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeed

I mainly use my powers for good.

Where were you when I was trying to sort out the truth about Serafitia...
Zeed
Banned
(04-21-2008, 09:02 PM)

Originally Posted by bjork

Where were you when I was trying to sort out the truth about Serafitia...

I don't know. Probably jacking off or something.

Who's Serafitia?
Agent Icebeezy
Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
(04-21-2008, 09:11 PM)
Agent Icebeezy's Avatar
Congratulations dude :D
GDJustin
stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
(04-21-2008, 09:13 PM)

Originally Posted by bjork

So then what was all that shit you gave me in that thread about awhile ago? :lol

I knew, knew you were going to come into this topic and post this. I've lined up two responses:

#1, That conversation was about deriving self worth and identity from what someone does for a living. You only TOOK it to mean that I was saying "omfg my job >>> all jobs" despite my repeated attempts to explain that that wasn't my point.

#2, At that time work was sweet, leading to a more positive overall opinion of my job, compared to now (when we're in a more worky stressful period). Someone can enjoy how they earn a living without enjoying every minute of it.
bjork
(04-21-2008, 09:14 PM)
bjork's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeed

I don't know. Probably jacking off or something.

Who's Serafitia?

Long story, and an old one at that. Just someone I wanted to know the whole story about, and never did.

edit - GDJustin: I just responded to how you came across, is all. I don't really care either way tbh. <3
sorryaboutdresden
Member
(04-21-2008, 09:16 PM)
sorryaboutdresden's Avatar
Good for you man, thats great news
Outlaw
Banned
(04-21-2008, 09:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Gigglepoo

I just got an offer for my dream job today: video game reviewer. For a real website (I had been been writing for a site you've never heard). Needless to say, I'm pumped. My first day is May 5th, looks like the best Cinco de Mayo ever.

Anyone else have their dream job? I'm not even sure how I should react at this point. I've been gearing up for this gig since I was four years old.


:lol :lol :lol :lol How old are you? under 15? :lol :lol :lol
DemonSwordsman
Banned
(04-21-2008, 09:26 PM)

Originally Posted by bjork

Long story, and an old one at that. Just someone I wanted to know the whole story about, and never did.

edit - GDJustin: I just responded to how you came across, is all. I don't really care either way tbh. <3

what happened to her? did she turn out to be a guy?
Davedough
just swallowin' loads
and returnin' favors
(04-21-2008, 09:26 PM)
Davedough's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeed

Well then...are you Nicholas?

It's either that or one other possibility but I'm inclined to say Nicholas.


My search didn't bring up him as Nicholas. I wont call out his name, but first name initial is T last name is a Mc something from Berkeley, CA. =)
bjork
(04-21-2008, 09:27 PM)
bjork's Avatar

Originally Posted by DemonSwordsman

what happened to her? did she turn out to be a guy?

Only Sera knows for sure.
Rodeo Clown
All aboard! The Love train!
(04-21-2008, 09:28 PM)
Rodeo Clown's Avatar

Originally Posted by Davedough

My search didn't bring up him as Nicholas. I wont call out his name, but first name initial is T last name is a Mc something from Berkeley, CA. =)

You're both creepy.
DemonSwordsman
Banned
(04-21-2008, 09:28 PM)

Originally Posted by bjork

Only Sera knows for sure.

i see i remember from gamesarefun lol.

Thread Tools