• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

wiihomebrewtitle.gif

WARNING - LINKS/DOWNLOADS: Neither NeoGAF, nor any of its posters, can be held responsible for the content of external sites, or any damage caused by any software found therein. You use these sites and software entirely at your own risk!

WARNING - PIRACY DISCUSSION: Do NOT post information, including requests or instructions for how to obtain or create illegally pirated ROMs / discs in this thread. The discussion of emulation and piracy is generally tolerated at NeoGAF, but if you've posted here for any length of time you should know not to implicate yourself or this forum in any kind of illegal activity. For those unaware of the particulars of the TOS, please find them below.

NeoGAF Terms of Service:
The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.

With that said, I hope you find this thread useful for news and information on the emerging Wii Homebrew scene!

If you have any homebrew findings you would like me to add to this post in future, I can include any news/links you provide as well as link directly to Users' posts in this thread. Feel free to notify me by PM.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv CLICK THIS IMAGE FOR EASY TUTORIAL vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ CLICK THIS IMAGE FOR EASY TUTORIAL ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wiibrew_news.gif
May 2009
May 13th - TeamTwiizers BootMii has been released. It can be installed along with HBC via the Comex BannerBomb exploit if you're on 4.0.
http://www.bootmii.org | http://hackmii.com/2009/05/bootmii_beta_1/ | http://www.wiibrew.org

April 2009
April 11th - I am working on updating the OP(s) now. I am backdating news as best as possible, if you spot anything I've forgotten let me know. Particularly in the area of homebrew apps.

April 7th - A way to downgrade from System Menu 4.0 and/or reintroduce patched IOS' has been released. There are three pre-requisites: You need the HBC already installed, an active Wifi / LAN connection and the files discussed in this guide

March 2009
March 29th - Marcan publicly lambasts Waninkoko for his USB loader, and links the development of it to Kwiirk's release earlier in the month.

March 28th - Waninkoko announces his USB loader.

March 26th - Waninkoko has released an updater that will allow you to gain the features of System Menu 4.0 without sacrificing any homebrew running capabilities whatsoever.

March 25th - As Dragona has posted, Marcan has posted a statement at HackMii.com -- essentially if you have HBC and DVDX already installed then updating is safe. New exploits exist and are on the way.

March 25th - Nintendo System Menu 4.0 released. This introduces the SD Menu people have been crying out for, including the ability to launch WiiWare and VC software direct from the SD card (the software is quickly copied to memory before launching), and it also adds SDHC support (SDHC cards currently going as high as 32GB). I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT UPDATE TO SYS MENU 4.0 IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL INSTALLED FIRST. Either install HBC first or use one of Waninkoko's updater.

March 7th - Coder Kwiirk has released a cIOS that enables coding for USB2 devices.

March 4th - Korea gets System Menu 3.5: this system menu patches system menu files making it impossible to install new homebrew unless HBC / appropriate hacks already installed

January 2009
January 26th - Bushing from HackMii.com has began to play with the DSi.

January 22nd - StellaWii (Atari 2600 emulator) available for homebrew users

wiibrew_intro.gif

Currently, homebrew software comes in various forms and there are many ways of using it. There are two kinds of executable you can launch on Wii. DOL files, which represent homebrew for Nintendo Gamecube, and ELF files, which are explicitly for Nintendo Wii.

AN EXPLANATION OF HOMEBREW LOADING METHODS

There are currently a couple of options for launching homebrew on your Wii. You can use the "Twilight Hack" gamesave to load software from your SD card, or you can install some software so that it appears on your Wii Menu as a "Channel" (not unlike standard VC and WiiWare games). Once you have read this introduction section fully and understand the risks involved:

Click here for instructions on loading software using Twilight Princess
or
Click here for instructions on how to install channels to your Wii

WARNING ABOUT INSTALLING "CHANNELS" ON YOUR WII CONSOLE

The method that is used to install channels to your Wii does carry some risk. We don't know how Wii updates will react to trucha signed channels -- but we do know that Nintendo has an update ready to address them.

Click here to read about IOS37 and how future updates could affect homebrew on Wii

How the system will react once IOS37 is in use is unclear. It could disable your Wii entirely, or stop you from accessing the Shop or other functionality.

There is a WAD Uninstaller available that removes all trace of custom channel installations, so if you're going to install any channels to your Wii, make sure you grab a hold of it and uninstall any custom/unauthorised software from your Wii Console before making ANY future Wii Updates.

Some pirated VC games have also been converted to WADs, and games that have not even been released on Virtual Console have also been injected into VC WAD files. I would strongly recommend you DO NOT USE THESE FILES. Nintendo haven't acted on people using them yet, but they might well do so in the future. I'd also like to re-iterate my warning here -- requesting or posting information about using such illegal releases will land you in very hot water with NeoGAFs moderation team. Its not worth it.

wiibrew_soft.gif

channel_scummvm.gif
channel_mfe.gif
channel_fce.gif
channel_snes.gif

channel_vba.gif
channel_rin.gif
channel_gen.gif
channel_sms.gif

ScummVM
An unofficial port. Available as a standalone channel (WAD) and also as ELF/DOL files that can be launched from Homebrew channels or Twilight Princess, this application emulates the Scumm engine that many PC point & click adventure games used: such as Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Broken Sword etc.
DOWNLOAD (DOL format, use DolTool to create ELF file for use with Twilight Hack or certain Homebrew loaders)

MFE-Wii (MPlayer Front End)
An early Media player for Wii based on MFE for Gamecube. Plays/views xVid, DivX, QT, JPG etc.
DOWNLOAD (Referrer blocking in effect. Drag this link to your address bar / tab!)

FCE Ultra
Nintendo Entertainment System emulator
DOWNLOAD (Referrer blocking in effect. Drag this link to your address bar / tab!)

SNES9X with Classic Controller support
A Super Nintendo emulator for Wii. Also available as WAD-packed channel.

Visual Boy Advance
Gameboy Family / Gameboy Advance emulator

RiN
Gameboy / GBC emulator

Genesis Plus
SEGA Megadrive / Genesis emulator

SEGA Master System Plus
SEGA Master System emulator

wiibrew_channels.gif

channel_homebrew.gif
channel_hl4.gif
channel_scummvm.gif
channel_fce.gif

channel_snes.gif
channel_rin.gif

"The Homebrew Channel"
An (as yet) unreleased channel from the guys who have been bringing the scene most of the best developments, as well as the first time-limited homebrew channel earlier in the year. It loads ELF and DOL files from a handy menu system.

Homebrew Launcher
Emulating the style of the Wii Menu, this channel allows you to load DOL/ELF files conveniently, and you can use the d-pad on either a gamecube pad or Wii Remote to do so. Very customisable. Look for the file WiiHL4.zip / .rar / .wad
OFFICIAL SITE
DOWNLOAD (ELF Format)
DOWNLOAD (WAD Channel)

ScummVM
An unofficial port. Available as a standalone channel (WAD) and also as ELF/DOL files that can be launched from Homebrew channels or Twilight Princess, this application emulates the Scumm engine that many PC point & click adventure games used: such as Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Broken Sword etc.
DOWNLOAD (WAD Channel version)

FCE Ultra Channel
Nintendo Entertainment System emulator

SNES9X Channel
Super Nintendo emulator

RiN Channel
Gameboy / GBC emulator

wiibrew_tools.gif

Twilight Hack
This is a gamesave / exploit, that when used with your Wii, can load homebrew software.
DOWLOAD / INFORMATION

DolTool 0.3
This command prompt tool can convert DOL files to ELF and vice versa. Very useful if you want to use DOL files with loaders that only read ELF.
DOWNLOAD

WAD Installer
This tool installs WAD files as channels on your Wii Menu. Make sure you have read and fully understood how to use this tool before using it.
DOWNLOAD

WAD Uninstaller
This tool uninstalls any channels installed using Waninkoko's WAD Installer.
DOWNLOAD

wiibrew_blogs.gif

HackMii (Blog) - http://www.hackmii.com
A blog by #Wiidev scener, Bushing. Other posters / regular commenters at this blog include tmbinc, marcan, segher, waninkoko etc.

Wiibrew Wiki - http://wiibrew.org
Thorough Wiki about Wii hacking, modification and homebrew.

bryehn

Homebrew Channel's quality looks awesome.

Glad someone finally made a "catch-all" thread for this stuff

fernoca

Last week, they made an update regarding that you can use USB storage devices on the Wii too..but they were limited (for now) to USB 1.1.

bryehn

yoopoo said:
In the next firmware update, IOS37 (which is already on your Wii btw) - The unofficial channels will most likely stop working.

http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37

While very true, I'm sure that just like the original Xbox, and PSP someone will figure out how to bypass updates on discs and/or keep all the old tricks working even after firmware updates. It may not be on day 1, but it will happen. Once these systems get holes poked in them they don't get plugged very often, if ever

I'm lucky enough to have two Wii units though, so I can always simply not update one of them to allow me to use one for homebrew and one for playing the latest good game if they do manage to kill homebrew with an update. I think Disaster will be the next one I really "gotta" play. Animal Crossing and Pikmin after that.

USING TWILIGHT PRINCESS TO LOAD HOMEBREW SOFTWARE

Required
- SD Card
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Twilight Hack

Step 1: Place software onto SD Card and rename as "boot.elf"
If your software is a DOL file, you can use "DolTool" to convert the file to ELF. Please see Tools section in this thread for further details

Step 2 - Transfer the Twilight Hack gamesave to your SD Card
Follow the instructions found here to do so.

Step 3 - Load up Twilight Princess and load the game save
Now walk up to the character in front of you and talk to him, or run towards the screen. Your software should now load.

USING A HOMEBREW LOADER / LAUNCHER TO RUN SOFTWARE

Homebrew channels and loaders have been created that allow you to customise a menu and load software from it with ease. If you download a homebrew launcher in DOL or ELF format, you can run it using the Twilight Hack method above. If you download a WAD packed homebrew launcher, you can install it as a channel -- removing the need for Twilight Princess altogether! Please see the Channels and Tools sections of this thread for more information.

HOW TO INSTALL CHANNELS

WARNING: Make no further updates to your Wii console if you intend to install channels to your console. Download the WAD uninstaller so you can remove them from your console should you ever wish to do so

Required:
- SD Card
- Twilight Hack
- Waninkoko's WAD Installer

Step 1 - Create a folder called "wad" on your SD card and place the WAD file you have downloaded inside it.

Step 2 - Rename Waninkoko's WAD Installer as "boot.elf" and place it in the root of your SD Card

Step 3 - Transfer the Twilight Hack gamesave to your SD Card
Follow the instructions found here to do so

Step 4 - Load up Twilight Princess and load the game save
Now walk up to the character in front of you and talk to him or run towards the screen. You will see a bunch of text, like a DOS command prompt as the channel installs. Providing there are no errors, you will be prompted to press the RESET button on your console. Eventually the installation is complete and the console resets, returning you to the Wii Menu, complete with newly installed channel.

ABOUT IOS37+, AND HOW NINTENDO MAY BLOCK CUSTOM CHANNELS IN FUTURE

Channels are provided in WAD format, and are currently installed using Waninkoko's WAD installer. This puts a trucha signed channel onto your Wii system, and assigns it a fake ticket to fool the Wii into accepting it. "Trucha signing" is also the method that Datel use in Freeloader.

You may have heard of something called IOS37. If your Wii is fully up to date (as of the time I wrote this introduction - May 05 2008), then your Wii already has "Starlet" firmware IOS37 waiting to be used in its update partition. When Nintendo update the Wii System Menu to use IOS37 (or release a game/channel that requires it), it is widely believed that all trucha signed applications will no longer work. The good thing about such updates though is that they require a prompt, and warn the user before updating. Until the next update, your console can happily install WAD files / Homebrew Channels. I recommend you check this thread periodically for updates on IOS37 and future IOS firmwares, so that you are constantly aware of what effects they may have on you.

Link1110

radioheadrule83 said:
Required:
- Nintendo Wii
- SD Card
- Twilight Hack
- Waninkoko's WAD Installer
That spanish forum is blocking me because I answered teh wrong thing to am I over 13. Like those things ever work anyway if someone can READ the language (rolleyes) Guess I gotta set up a new ISP email so I can get a new address for it.

Update:

- Added links to various softwares/tools as well as Youtube Videos.
- Placed links throughout introduction to tutorial posts above.

Link1110 said:
That spanish forum is blocking me because I answered teh wrong thing to am I over 13. Like those things ever work anyway if someone can READ the language (rolleyes) Guess I gotta set up a new ISP email so I can get a new address for it.

I see what you mean... no permission to download from the forum waninkoko's site links to.

Well, here's the WAD Installer 2.1
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=V5W3IROX

I'll add this to the thread when I come back later, and I'll also find a mirror for the WAD Uninstaller

Luigison

Why aren't Scumm games like the excellent Monkey Island already officially on Wii? Is there a problem with licenses?

Tim-E

So, if I did this and they released a system update, would the homebrew stuff just not work if I installed or would it fuck something up? The big red WARNING scares me a bit.

angelfly

Tim-E said:
So, if I did this and they released a system update, would the homebrew stuff just not work if I installed or would it fuck something up? The big red WARNING scares me a bit.

With channels installed something could possibly go wrong but theres an uninstaller you can use before you update.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Tim-E said:

What anglefly said, but just to be safe always check the internet before you update if you decide to add the channel, and if you are still scared, just use the TP method, its safe but kind of a hassel to jump into TP, etc etc.

Tim-E said:

The WAD installer places files into parts of your Wii filesystem that we cannot normally access.

And there, it stores "tickets" telling the Wii exactly what titles you've had installed/downloaded. This is how the Wii Shop knows whether to let you download a game again if you've already downloaded it, believe it or not, and probably why Nintendo's next update will block/patch this particular functionality.

Deleting the channels from the Settings menu (the way you would normally delete a channel) won't delete the tickets, so you'll need to use Waninkoko's WAD uninstaller to remove them. Only then will you have removed all trace of you having had the homebrew on there in the first place... so do that before you do any updates.

I would also be wary of any WiiConnect24 software or channels that are released in the future. If Nintendo are truly devious about it, they could have said software check the filesystem and see what you've got... I'd say they would probably be looking more for pirated VC titles than homebrew channels and such, but who knows if they would bother to differentiate between the two.

Bottom line -- be careful. Think before you use this homebrew, and think before you use any downloaded Nintendo updates or software in future. If you're not sure, delete your homebrew beforehand, or wait until news emerges online about what it does or doesn't do.

And as iby.h has said -- you can always use the Twilight Hack loading method if you're scared to install channels.

Tim-E

Alright thanks, everyone. I'd love to do this, but I think I'll just wait until Nintendo releases another update or something and see how things unfold in the future. Then I'll decide whether I'll do this or not. I buy a ton of VC games and with WiiWare coming out next week I don't want to risk messing anything up. :lol

Thanks for your help!

Update:

Added various programs to the OP.

Homebrew Launcher 0.4, ScummVM and MFE install pack
Here's the contents of my SD card in a 7z (7zip) file... every relevant file apart from the Twilight Hack gamesave (which I assume you would already have on your system). Extract it to the root of your card. It also includes ScummVM and MFE pre-installed on the Homebrew Launcher.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LP6O2DCA

Also, this site seems to have a lot of mirrors/links to tools/software.
http://www5.atpages.jp/wiihack/

bryehn

I really hope someone gets a DS emulator running. I've wanted to play DS games on my TV for the longest time.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
legend166 said:
Wait, what?

Do we know if the compatibility is the same in regards to GCN games?

Edit: Oh, only Wii games D:
yes, but with a debugger and a screenshot tool ; )

Anyone who gets 403 errors from any atpages.jp links in this thread, drag it to your address bar, download direct from this page, or if you're in a non-IE browser -- turn off sending of referrer.

bryehn said:
I really hope someone gets a DS emulator running. I've wanted to play DS games on my TV for the longest time.

I wouldn't be hopeful. I've heard DS emus on PC run pretty terrible, even on reasonably fast machines.

bryehn

radioheadrule83 said:
I wouldn't be hopeful. I've heard DS emus on PC run pretty terrible, even on reasonably fast machines.

They run great now, even on my craptop. NoCash is the best. Should be totally doable on Wii.

yoopoo

Banned
***no download link yet***

http://www.console-scene.info/forums/wii-homebrew-discussion/1244-wii-midia-v0-1-alpha.html

wiimiidia.jpg

After months of coding and porting and ripping and rewriting Wii Miidia as I like to call it is about to be released into the wild. I have a few people beta testing it now and helping me work out some bugs. Wii Miidia is something that many people I hope will enjoy as I put alot of time and effort into this project.

Wii Miidia as you can guess is a Media Center for the Nintendo Wii based off of XBMC. Since the Wii comes with it's own Weather Channel I had decided to strip the weather functions from Wii Miidia. There are still a few bugs that I am trying to work out but one of the best features this offers in my opinion is the ability to listen to Shoutcast Radio on the Wii. Right now this only supports streaming files and files stored on the SD Card, however since there is recent developments by SVPE I hope to be able to include USB Storage devices as well in the future.

Video Support:
MPEG, MPEG2, MPEG4, DIVX, XVID, MOV, WMV, VOB and more.

Audio Support:
AAC, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, MID and more.

Controls Are:

A = Play
B = Pause/Resume
- = Previous Song/Chapter
+ = Next Song/Chapter
Dpad Left = Rewind
Dpad Right = Fast Forward
Dpad Up = Change Aspect Ratio (NTSC/PAL/Wide/Standard)
Dpad Up + B = Zoom In
Dpad Down = Change Visual in Audio mode / Change Subtitle in DVD Mode
Dpad Down + B = Zoom Out
Home = Settings Menu
1 = Return to Main Menu
2 = Return Previous Menu
Power = Shutdown Wii

Wii Miidia will at first be released as .elf and will need to be ran via TP Hack, Homebrew Channel or any other way you like to load your ELF files, However the final version will come in .elf and as a channel for those who would like easy access to the application. Well that is all for right now I hope to have this cleaned up and released for everyone in the next few days. I would like to also thank bushing for all of his hard work as well as the rest of the guys from #wiidev and Wiibrew.org without them I never would have been able to get this done

Guys, this was just posted over in the Nintendo Channel thread -

DefectiveReject said:
Supposedly this is the info Nintendo are taking back from this channel about your Wii

f_biglistm_0b8cf4c.jpg

You'll notice if you've used Homebrew Launcher or any other installed channel, it shows up in "Today's Accomplishments"

Just a warning.

bryehn

At 15 MB plus save space, there's no way I'm downloading the Nintendo Channel.

Curious how HB channels will show up though...

Would it say "ScummVM: 1:04" or just some unreadble junk? What about injected games?

WiiMiidia looks awesome... The Wii is my new Xbox (I can finally pt that giant beast to rest it seems)

Well as I load all programs from Homebrew Launcher 0.4 at the moment, it shows up as "Homebrew Launcher 0:01" for every day that I've used it.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo will gather the information as private/untraceable to users, I'll have to read the Wii Connect 24 TOS/Privacy thing again...

Ramenman

radioheadrule83 said:
YEP :D

There is already an application that does the equivilent of Freeloader. Its called Gecko Region Free

Info / download (need to register I think): http://www.tehskeen.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=2319
Mirror download: http://www5.atpages.jp/wiihack/tool/GeckoRF13.zip

WUT WOW WHAT OHLY SIHT.

Need to try that. Still the beginning of course but could be a way to keep playing my US games if the Freeloader suddenly gets blocked.

Now just to be sure : if I use Twilight Hack everytime I want to load something, meaning I don't install any channel, I'm 100% sure to have no problem with updates, since nothing is on my console ?

Also, are there some youtube vids of the Mplayer clones ?

Top Bottom