• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Osuwari

Pancakes R Us said:
What, just over the phone without having to send your console in?

i did that and it worked.

and i live in panama which is thousands of kilometers away from USA and english isn't even my first language.

Dragona Akehi said:
So bushing has posted a news item Wii Menu System 4.2. It basically comes down to "lol nintendo".
Interesting.
The fact the HBC removing function is called "iplESMisc.cpp::DeleteTicketsForce" suggests the tickets themselves are removed. This kind of puts a damper on my "unforeseen consequences" theory of the UK update text. So instead I give a different theory. A result of translating the update text from Japanese > German > English (UK) made a mis-translation appear somewhere (or NOE are just doing scaremonger tactics).

I hope when the look at the IOS updates in detail they will find some new IOS exploit to use with the Hackmii installer.

A Twisty Fluken said:
quick someone send the good news to g4, let's get the word out

the continued specific targeting going on here makes me think that nintendo's biggest concern is large numbers of casual pirates taking advantage of comfortable, well-known, and well-documented exploits. either that or they have some extremely incompetent full-timers in charge of system security :lol

The real reason why the Wii will never be able to recover security-wise is simply because of the way Nintendo designed the "OS". It isn't really an OS at all. It's a bunch of relatively unrelated programmes that sort of work together. They can't make a system-wide update that prevents homebrew, because then they'll break compatibility with older games entirely, when that game attempts to call for a certain older version of an IOS.

This post, by bushing explains it very well for non-programmers, and links to other informative posts to help you understand just how poorly IOS was designed: not just in terms of security.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what Nintendo does, because the Wii has been hackable ever since they finalised IOS back in 2005 or whenever.

Their next system? Probably won't be as easy to hack. But if it is as popular as the Wii, and still has retarded region coding, I'm sure it'll fall.

HUELEN10

Dragona Akehi said:
The real reason why the Wii will never be able to recover security-wise is simply because of the way Nintendo designed the "OS". It isn't really an OS at all. It's a bunch of relatively unrelated programmes that sort of work together. They can't make a system-wide update that prevents homebrew, because then they'll break compatibility with older games entirely, when that game attempts to call for a certain older version of an IOS.

This post, by bushing explains it very well for non-programmers, and links to other informative posts to help you understand just how poorly IOS was designed: not just in terms of security.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what Nintendo does, because the Wii has been hackable ever since they finalised IOS back in 2005 or whenever.

Their next system? Probably won't be as easy to hack. But if it is as popular as the Wii, and still has retarded region coding, I'm sure it'll fall.
With the DSi being region-locked, I don't see how the next console could be region free, I mean coming from them and all.

HUELEN10 said:
With the DSi being region-locked, I don't see how the next console could be region free, I mean coming from them and all.

Hence the "retarded". :p

Anyway there's a reason why we can use a programme to only update the Shop Channel, and Nintendo can't do anything about it: every IOS runs independently, and Nintendo cannot change that now without breaking compatibility with earlier games.

Nintendo cannot implement an overall system check at any point in the game: firmware via disc, forcing update to access the Shop Channel, etc. This is because of the way that they designed IOS.

Which is, in a word: lulz.

Dragona Akehi said:
Nintendo cannot implement an overall system check at any point in the game: firmware via disc, forcing update to access the Shop Channel, etc. This is because of the way that they designed IOS.

Which is, in a word: lulz.

Not to mention the lack of a patch system practically guarantees there'll always be at least one software-based exploit available. If you keep up with the news, there hasn't been any reason to fear an update since 3.3.

Speevy

Banned
Clipper said:
Wow. Just wow.

Almost as funny as a few hours ago as a guy on GBATemp asked marcan (one of the HBC guys): "Do you even know who made the HBC?"

I can't even figure out what you'd be trolling, unless the guy had a specific problem with you dissing pirates.

In any case, when I get a Wii in the near future, I'll probably wait until all of this is sorted out before diving into homebrew.

ShinNL

I don't really mind Nintendo at least trying to get rid of some pirates that are out there. I remember not liking people on GameFAQs all switching to Monster Hunter Freedom 2G (PSP) with a translated ISO but not knowing what importing is. Pissed me off that they had the guts to call themselves fans.

But I would like Nintendo to never get it exactly right because I like my USB loader (though a bit overrated, not a speedy difference like with the PSP) and Gecko OS (don't make my US imports useless!!).

Oh wow, System Menu 4.2 seems to be bricking non-HBCed Wiis. Looks like marcan's criticism of incredibly dodgy boot2 code was right.

marcan said:
And Nintendo is deleting posts that (rightly) blame their poor quality control and focus on blocking homebrew for no good reason.

I smell a shitstorm coming.

Bravo, Nintendo.

Datschge

Sorry state of affairs that the "experts" with actual knowledge of the Wii internals are outside of Nintendo's HQ. They better completely stop "shipping" the 4.2 update and do their homework.

Datschge said:
Sorry state of affairs that the "experts" with actual knowledge of the Wii internals are outside of Nintendo's HQ.

The most hilarious thing is that bushing has kept trying to open communications with NOA and NCL regarding some bad exploits he wanted them to fix (with suggestions on how to fix them). They have never replied to his emails. At all.

Datschge

Dragona Akehi said:
The most hilarious thing is that bushing has kept trying to open communications with NOA and NCL regarding some bad exploits he wanted them to fix (with suggestions on how to fix them). They have never replied to his emails. At all.
They probably have noone able to talk to him since everybody there knows nothing. And this update seems to prove that being closer to reality than satire.

Anony

Dragona Akehi said:

nintendo is a multimillion company, why should they respond to one "hacker"s emails

Dragona Akehi said:

Oh, I know, but is this really the MOST they could do? That's what I was saying. I am a programmer; I get that IOS is a complete nightmare and is never going to be SECURE. My point was pretty much what Clipper said.

But unfortunate lulz if they are bricking vanilla Wiis.

Datschge said:
They probably have noone able to talk to him since everybody there knows nothing. And this update seems to prove that being closer to reality than satire.

That would be pretty funny.

Anony said:
nintendo is a multimillion company, why should they respond to one "hacker"s emails

Except we know Nintendo have read his emails, and that he's well renown for his Nintendo hardware skills.

JonathanEx said:
Basically, the Nintendo firmware team can't code for shit, and no-one should update to 4.2?

Basically, yes. I should make an announcement.

Datschge

JonathanEx said:
Basically, the Nintendo firmware team can't code for shit, and no-one should update to 4.2?
More so than ever, yes. Past updates and features have been highly sloppy already, but worked ok enough in isolation to be acceptable. Now they use an existing sloppy system code in a sloppy non-update to update the very core booting code of the system across all Wii units existing apparently without any quality check: massive fail.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dragona Akehi said:

That's the guy who runs HackMii, yeah? I remember him discovering an exploit way-back-when that would allow backups to be run via softmods (before, you know, now) and contacted Nintendo about it to have it fixed without releasing it to the public, and Nintendo just wouldn't comply.

Nintendo are so stupid.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
On a side note, if they get 4.2 working, wouldn't that invalidate the whole rant Dragona was making about them not being able to update the older IOS? Or is this proof that the rant is correct... Eh, lets wait and see.

Drkirby said:
On a side note, if they get 4.2 working, wouldn't that invalidate the whole rant Dragona was making about them not being able to update the older IOS? Or is this proof that the rant is correct... Eh, lets wait and see.

If they "fix" 4.2, then they're simply not bricking people's Wiis. :p

By the way, expect an influx. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anony said:

because they spend plenty of resources doing firmware updates just to block that one hacker's hacks that they could have stopped to begin with if they just answered, duh.

Teknoman said:
Once you update, if your Wii hasnt bricked...it should be pretty safe right?

Yes, they aren't going to magically space-brick it. It's only bricking Wiis that fail to write to boot2 during the update process.

Diagol

I'd just like to confirm that 4.2 is bricking Wii's that for sure don't have HBC. I just heard from a friend of mine who updated her Wii this morning to 4.2, and now it won't do anything (though she said it froze during the update downloading part). She said that the power to the Wii goes on (aka the green light turns on), but it just stays at a black screen. Putting in a disc has no effect. Told her to contact Nintendo. I know for a fact she doesn't have the HBC, because she mainly uses it only for Wii Fit and Wii Sports. She is SO PISSED she can't do her morning routine. :lol

Looks like I need to contact some people to make sure they don't brick their Wii's.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What a clusterfuck. I'm glad I have reading this thread way above updating the Wii in my priority list. Thanks for all the information, everyone.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ramenman said:
Tell me about it, just read the announcement, wtf is that ??

Are there any reports yet or is it just "I saw the code it could brick it" ?

Edit : nvm http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board?board.id=wii_tech

This shit is scary.

Yes, the stuff on that board is scary:
Can you dear Nintendo makers, can you please, create 3D glasses and release some 3D games for Wii?

We, Wii lovers already have big LCD tv's capable to do 60Hz.

Hollywood is making milions on 3D movies, why don't you?

PS. my kid wants a 3D whackAmole - can you? I know you can.

Thanks.

Brannon

Thanks for the warning. To be on the safe side I've also unplugged my Wii to get the red light of complete inactivity since I don't know if the glowing blue light means it's reading mini-updates or the like.

Nintendo, fix this shit exclamation point.

TunaLover

A good new among the 4.2 disaster.
Wii64 beta1 released http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii64

Wii64-menu.png

-Emulation via Dynamic Recompiler & Pure Interpreter
-Hardware Accelerated Graphics (glN64 ported to GX by sepp256)
-ROM Support up to 512MBit
-Expansion Pak support
-High Level PowerPC RSP
-Interpolated Stereo Sound
-Input via Gamecube & Classic Controller & Wiimote + Nunchuck
-Configurable input combinations
-DVD/USB/SDGecko/Front-SD ROM Loading
-Native Saves
-Save States
-Rumble/Controller Pak Support
-Progressive/Widescreen Resolution

Check compatibilty list on http://emulatemii.com/wii64/compatList/

Well, this is interesting.

I've been lamenting to my self recently about how poor I perceive the Wii OS to be. Having the content segregating into channels isn't the worst part, it's rather how those channels act. Having to launch what is essentially a completely different program with no central overlay (sans "home" menu). Even still, when you finally get to the content in, for example the shop channel, it's hard to view that subcontent. The paging system setup to view VCs is just agitating, no demos, maybe 2 screenshots that you can't even enlarge....

Interesting developments, I'm really thankful for the announcement so that I don't accidentally update my Wii (though I don't even use the hbc or anyhting).

Blizzard

Banned
Haha, I caught one of my friends with the warning as he was in the middle of updating. :p Fortunately it finished successfully and it's still loading games. I actually updated my system to play the Beatles Rock Band on Saturday, but I don't know if the update was out by then.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I feel pretty horrible for all those people that have never even touched home brew, having their Wiis bricked. Nintendo really screwed up this time. Most of the replies on their Tech Support Forum are just suggesting calling in, and then paying $75 for out of warranty units to be sent in. :lol

And that Nintendo 64 emulator looks like the hotness. I want to play Ogre Battle 64 , but I'm too lazy to plug in my Nintendo 64. Shame Ogre Battle is not compatible yet. :S

Top Bottom