• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/28 - 5/4

Scum

Captain Smoker said:
1. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 119.000 [1.249.000]
2. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) 95.000 [2.065.000]
3. Wii Fit (Wii) 64.000 [2.003.000]
4. Link's Crossbow Training (Wii) 50.000 [140.000]
5. Meccha Taiko Drum Master DS: Adventure in Seven Islands (DS) 34.000 [135.000]
6. Pokémon Ranger: Batonnage (DS) 28.000 [521.000]
7. Mario Kart DS (DS) 26.000 [3.033.000]
8. Wii Sports (Wii) 21.000 [2.925.000]
9. Wii Play (Wii) 18.000 [2.338.000]
10. We're Fossil Diggers (DS) 14.000 [105.000]

Go! Go! Mario Kart!! :lol :lol

donny2112

dabra said:
http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/million.htm

Pokemon Red 4.18 million
Pokemon Green 4.04 million
Pokemon Blue 2.01 million
Pokemon Yellow 3.16 million

Pokemon Gold 3.45 million
Pokemon Silver 3.64 million
Pokemon Crystal 2.12 million

Shipment figures from Nintendo vs. Famitsu's reported sales. Famitsu did huge Pokemon "adjustments" to try to bring its total up over the years, but it seems they still ended up a little short.

Thanks. :)

apujanata

Vinnk said:
Sadly, I don't think that will be the case. Otaku gamers are usually Day 1 buyers. The less hardcore might wait a week or 2 but after that, games targeted at the harcore demographic usually drop like rocks.

I agree that with good press and work of mouth some other people will be convinced to buy this game. But there are already many used copies available and I think they will buy those. That's another problem with hardcore games. The players finish them so damn fast and resell them to buy more games.

It is rare to see games like Mario Kart DS, Monster Hunter 2G, Wii Fit, ect. being traded in. Those are the game that people feel like keeping. With less used copies people are often forced buy buy new ones. This is why these games continue to chart week after week. When a used copy IS available it is often only few hundred yen less than a new copy.

The used Otaku games on the other hand often go for half price or less in as little as a month after release. There is a copy of FIre Emblem at famicom dojo (the little game shop in my town) that is at the store about half of the time. It has been bought and resold to the store several times. He offers a really good rate (about 75%) buyback on games so people will get it play it, beat it and sell it back. He has a Blue Dragon Xbox 360 bundle as well that has been through about 6 owners. Only the first sale ever counts for numbers.

So getting back to my point, Valkyria will probably perform like the other games targeted at the core gamers. It will not seel much beyond its first month but in the end it will probably be played by about 3x the number of people who bought new copies. Its not so much that Japanese gamers hate good games its just that unless they have very strong reasons to get the game new (for example, getting a LE version or being an Otaku) most gamers will wait until the Otaku have had their fill and then get it on the cheap.

Wow, i wrote more than though I woud there..

Does all that make sense or is it really confusing?

how much is the used Fire Emblem Wii game ? Is the normal (brand new) price 5800 Yen ?

Terrell

Vinnk said:
Sadly, I don't think that will be the case. Otaku gamers are usually Day 1 buyers. The less hardcore might wait a week or 2 but after that, games targeted at the harcore demographic usually drop like rocks. ...

BLOCK OF WRITING (omitted for shorter quotation)

... Wow, i wrote more than though I woud there..

Does all that make sense or is it really confusing?

It makes total sense. Games that have immense replay value are high sellers because they aren't sold back to game retailers. No big shock there, I thought this was easy to deduce and transcended just being a part the Japanese games market.

OldJadedGamer said:
Price is not an issue at all with the PS3 in Japan and anyone who uses that argument is only using it as a crutch. The PS3 launch price was not even $100 more then the PS2 was priced at launch. Now the current MSRP of the PS3 in Japan is only 39,980 and the PS2 was 39,800 and at that price, the PS2 sold 1.4 million in it's first month alone.
You do know what's happened to the Japanese economy since 2000, right? But besides that, I agree that Japan historically really favors one console, that PS3 has no chance to be a dominant player, that games are needed, all that. I was hoping I wouldn't have to make lip service to ideas that are transparently clear. My point was simply that being 150% the price of the market leader can depress consumer demand below where it would otherwise be.

In other words, I was arguing not for "Teh PS3 will rize!" but against exactly the sort of blanket statements as your "Price is not an issue at all with the PS3 in Japan". Do you really think that a PS3 price cut of 10,000 or 20,000 yen wouldn't move sales numbers at all? Because that's what your statement means, and I just don't buy it. If what you actually meant was "Price reductions will never catch the PS3 up to the Wii", then I agree but you should say that, not something else.

Vinnk

apujanata said:
how much is the used Fire Emblem Wii game ? Is the normal (brand new) price 5800 Yen ?

It goes for 2800-4000 yen depending on the store. I belive that it was 5800 when it came out.

Innotech said:
Why does the used market affect Japan so much and why doesnt this affect other regional markets the same way?

I think part of it is just that you actually can get a good percentage of your money back when you trade in a game in Japan. At least if you do it right away.

At Wanpaku for example, you can get like 80% of the retail price back if you sell it back when the game is still in demand. This happened with Final Fantasy XII. People bought it, beat it and instantly sold it back. Game rentals are illeagle in Japan so this is the closest thing they have.

When I lived in the states I almost never sold games back to the stores because I would get only a tiny fraction of my money back. In Japan, I am willing to take a risk on a brand new game because I know that if it sucks, and I realize is sucks right away, I can get most of my cost back.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
DataBot said:
Now release finally DLC for MKWII Nintendo and it will stay in top ten forever. Do it!

Yeah, we can dream, can't we?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinnk said:
It goes for 2800-4000 yen depending on the store. I belive that it was 5800 when it came out.

I think part of it is just that you actually can get a good percentage of your money back when you trade in a game in Japan. At least if you do it right away.

At Wanpaku for example, you can get like 80% of the retail price back if you sell it back when the game is still in demand. This happened with Final Fantasy XII. People bought it, beat it and instantly sold it back. Game rentals are illeagle in Japan so this is the closest thing they have.

When I lived in the states I almost never sold games back to the stores because I would get only a tiny fraction of my money back. In Japan, I am willing to take a risk on a brand new game because I know that if it sucks, and I realize is sucks right away, I can get most of my cost back.

So gake FE are more popular than the numbers lead you to believe?

Vinnk

Jasoncheng said:
inside-Ranking(5/5~5/11)
http://www.inside-games.jp/news/290/29010.html

TOP30
NDS:19
Wii:7
PS2:2
PSP:1
PS3:1

Wii Fit over 2M

I wonder what PSP game it is... ?

HK-47 said:
So gake FE are more popular than the numbers lead you to believe?

It has a pretty big fanbase carried over from the Famicom/Super Famicom days. But I wouldn't call it popular exactally. It was just my example of how the second hand market impacts games. ANother example I could have used would be Shadow Hearts. Its a game people play, resell and others pick up but no one seems to feel compelled to own it forever.

Top Bottom