• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June 2008 Issue

I got my issue earlier, the cover story is Guitar Hero 4.

Guitar Hero 4 (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2)
- Create a song. Although these exclude vocals due to storage and possible copyright issues.
- You'll be able to name your song as well as creating album art. After you've done all that you can upload it to GH Tunes where anyone can download it.
- You'll be limited to 5 songs at first. But depending on the ratings you get you'll possibly be able to upload 10 or more.
- The song sharing mode will be in the Wii and PS2 versions also, but GI says it's unlikely that it'll be as robust as the PS3 and 360 versions.
- Drums, bass, vocals guitar
- Create a rocker
- Create a guitar and drums
- All songs will be master tracks
- They don't want to discuss specifics on track listing out of fear of being scooped by the competition. However they confirmed 4 bands: Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime.
- A new guitar designed by Red Octane that includes a new input mechanic that'll "impact the way you play GH in the future".
- GI saw see through notes while playing that Neversoft said was the new input mechanic and that they were trying to patent.

Prince of Persia (PS3, 360, PC)
- Inon Zur is the composer
- Combat is 1 on 1 now rather than having you face groups of circling enemies.
- 1 button will control your sword during combat, another for jumping and another for grabbing and manipulating things.

Resident Evil 5 (PS3, 360)
- The text is mostly just stuff Takeuchi talked about on the Famitsu DVD.
- A few new screens, one showing a chainsaw, an overhead shot of a female character that GI assumes is Claire, and a shot of Chris holding a blonde haired girl who they assume is Sherry.

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (360)
- RARE says they didn't want to make a hi res version of the old Banjo platformer.
- You create vehicles with parts you find around the levels.
- GI says their first vehicles was a 4 wheeled kart with a spring attached to the bottom that allowed them to jump things. They later found a helicopter blade that allowed their kart to fly. Later they added balloons to the vehicle and put the blade on the back and created a hovercraft.
- RARE showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chasis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.
- There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.
- The town is called Showdown Town.
- GI says that despite the large focus on vehicles it still features platform elements from the previous games like traditional platforming, tight rope walking and jiggy piece collecting.
- Showdown Town is 16 times larger than anything RARE has created before.
- Every level has a different intro. Nutty Acres begins with a credits spoof of 80's soap opera's like Dallas.
- Note collecting is back and will act has currency that'll allow you to bu vehicle blueprints.
- RARE says there are 15 different challenges spread across 6 different levels. There will also be side missions.

Viva Pinata 2: Trouble in Paradise
- Improved interactivity between the pinata's and the environments.
- Pinata's will mimic each others action and follow the leader around the garden.
- They'll be adding toys for the pinatas to play with like musical instruments, spaced themed toys, and trains that the pinata's will ride around the garden.
- 30 new pinatas.
- 2 new sub areas called Pinarctic and Dessert that'll allow you to travel to new locations and lay traps for the pinatas.
- A photo mode will allow you to upload pictures to the website.
- A drop in and drop out co op mode.
- Improved UI.

- Fallout 3 (PS3, 360, PC)
- They'll handle the ending as a dynamic cutscene that changes depending on specific decisions you make. Right now there are over 500 variations of the cutscene.

- You can talk to Dogmeat although he only barks and wags his tail. But they say you always tell if he agrees or disagrees with you.

- There are no guilds like in Oblivion. You just go around doing different quests for various groups.

- The world is entirely open from the start although certain areas can be difficult at the start.

- There will be licensed music from the 40's and 50's. Songs and artists include Ink Spots"I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire", Bob Crosby's "Way Back Home", and Roy Brown's "Butcher Pete".

- There are no vehicles.

- The game has gotten bigger since the initial announcement. They've had to remove some features but they say they weren't anything they'd officially announced.

- GI asked if there will be downloadable dog armor and they say that they've been making that joke around the studio. They say they doubt it'll be in there and that they really aren't even thinking of any downloadable content until the game is complete.

Other previews

- Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning (PC)
- Skate It (Wii, DS)
- Darksiders: Wrath of War (PS3, 360)
- Tales of Vesperia (360)
- Rise of the Argonauts (PS3, 360, PC)
- Haze (PS3)
- The Sims (PC)
- Ninja Gaiden 2 (360)
- Line Runner 2: Unbound (Wii, DS, PC)
- Order Up (Wii)
- Damnnation (PS3, 360, PC)
- Mushroom Men: Rise of the Fungi (DS)
- Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon (PS3, 360)
- Metal Gear Online (PS3)
- WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, PSP)
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
- Freaky Creatures (PC)
- Guitar Hero: On Tour (DS)
- Final Fantasy IV (DS)
- 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3, 360)
- Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (Wii)
- Gauntlet (DS)
- Robocalypse (DS)
- Sonic Unleashed (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2)
- Baja (PS3, 360)

Reviews:
GTA4 (PS3, 360): 10 10
NBA Ballers Chosen One (PS3, 360): 6.75 7.25
Assassins Creed's: Director's Cut Edition (PC): 9 8
GT5: Prologue (PS3): 7.75 8
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (360): 8.25 8.25
Universe at War: Earth Assault (360): 5 8
Mario Kart Wii: 8.5 8.5
Battle of the Bands (WII): 6 6.75
We Ski (Wii): 6.25 7.25
Wii Fit: 8 8.25
Drone Tactics (DS) 7 7
Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles (DS) 6.5
Summon Night: Twin Age (DS) 7 6.75
Ninja Reflex (Wii): 5
Emergency Mayhem (Wii): 5.5
MLB 2K8: Fantasy All Stars (DS): 5.5

Loose Talk:
- The next Nintendo and MS systems would arrive in 2010. Sony's would arrive in 2012. They hear that MS will have your achievements carry over to the new system.
- EA pulled the plug on the Road Rash project that GI mentioned last month.
- Thief 4

- A few new screens, one showing a chainsaw, an overhead shot of a female character that GI assumes is Claire, and a shot of Chris holding a blonde haired girl who they assume is Sherry.

ZAHMAHGAD

*blinks eyes*

RE5? that you?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
- Create a song. Although these exclude vocals due to storage and possible copyright issues.
- You'll be able to name your song as well as creating album art. After you've done all that you can upload it to GH Tunes where anyone can download it.
- You'll be limited to 5 songs at first. But depending on the ratings you get you'll possibly be able to upload 10 or more.
- The song sharing mode will be in the Wii and PS2 versions also, but GI says it's unlikely that it'll be as robust as the PS3 and 360 versions.
- Create a rocker
- They don't want to discuss specifics on track listing out of fear of being scooped by the competition. However they confirmed 4 bands: Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime.

Wow, that sounds pretty sweet

- Create a rocker

This is excellent.

Treating PS2 and Wii owners with respect is also excellent.

Shins

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Neat.
SolidSnakex said:
Nooo

Salazar

It's so odd that Thief 4 is happening. Beautiful, but almost dreamlike. Hope it works out. Is Damnation coverage any good ? I remember thinking it looked pretty enjoyable. Didn't stand out or anything, but had some verve to it.

soldat7

GHIV on the cover when you could have done Banjo? I guess they want to sell magazines...

- There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.

^Holy cow.^

And where is their MGS4 review???

Struct09

Nice to see Activision/Red Octane/Neversoft (whoever's responsible here) expanding upon GH. Hopefully the game turns out good.

Banjo sounds...different. Seeing as how a good chunk of the original team is still on board, I will keep faith.

darkressurection said:
Why still call it Guitar Hero if it is a full band?

Brand recognition is worth a lot - people might not instantly pick up on something like "Band Hero"

Kildace

- GI says their first vehicles was a 4 wheeled kart with a spring attached to the bottom that allowed them to jump things. They later found a helicopter blade that allowed their kart to fly. Later they added balloons to the vehicle and put the blade on the back and created a hovercraft.
- RARE showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chasis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.

I came.

Hero of legend said:
Any new info about Sonic and Chocobo? Preferably the Wii version of Sonic?

I haven't followed Chocobo so I don't know much about it. They say it'll have randomly generated dungeons and that there's a steep penalty if you die and that it'll be out in July. And there's nothing new on Sonic, just a recap of everything we already knew.

Manager

SolidSnakex said:
- RARE says they didn't want to make a hi res version of the old Banjo platformer.
- GI says that despite the large focus on vehicles it still features platform elements from the previous games like traditional platforming, tight rope walking and jiggy piece collecting.

I don't understand, does this mean the game is primary about vehicles and secondary about platforming, or is the vehicle stuff only for multiplayer and some here-and-there short single player elements/races?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
CREATE YOUR OWN FUCKING SONGS? VAN HALEN?

ROCKBAND AM CRY.

edit: ok not really , i still want rockband on ps3, but im in europe. FUCK YOU.

Nolan.

SolidSnakex said:
- RARE showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chasis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.- There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.
- Every level has a different intro. Nutty Acres begins with a credits spoof of 80's soap opera's like Dallas.- Note collecting is back and will act has currency that'll allow you to bu vehicle blueprints.
- RARE says there are 15 different challenges spread across 6 different levels. There will also be side missions.

Viva Pinata 2: Trouble in Paradise
- Improved interactivity between the pinata's and the environments.
- Pinata's will mimic each others action and follow the leader around the garden.
- They'll be adding toys for the pinatas to play with like musical instruments, spaced themed toys, and trains that the pinata's will ride around the garden.
- 30 new pinatas.
- 2 new sub areas called Pinarctic and Dessert that'll allow you to travel to new locations and lay traps for the pinatas.
- A photo mode will allow you to upload pictures to the website.
- A drop in and drop out co op mode.
- Improved UI.

I love Rare!, seriously I loved Vp and these are some of the main things I so wished the original had...

Along with the ability to ride a pinata like egglair around the island...

Zonar

SolidSnakex said:
Prince of Persia (PS3, 360, PC)
- Inon Zur is the composer
- Combat is 1 on 1 now rather than having you face groups of circling enemies.
- 1 button will control your sword during combat, another for jumping and another for grabbing and manipulating things.
Do not want.gif

Kydd BlaZe

Banjo details sound very intruiging. Definitely could end up being one of the hottest games this year.

Also co-op in VP2 confirmed!

And im hoping and praying that RE5 makes it this year.

Manager said:
I don't understand, does this mean the game is primary about vehicles and secondary about platforming, or is the vehicle stuff only for multiplayer and short single player elements/races?

They don't say specifically what is the primary or secondary focus. This is the exact quote

Fans of the original title shouldn't worry that Rare is forsaking the series' roots altogether. While vehicles are a large part of the game, Banjo's Hub world, Showdown Town, will still contain more traditional platforming trials, such as tightrope walking and jiggy piece collecting, to help break up the action.

Rpgmonkey

SolidSnakex said:

- Every level has a different intro. Nutty Acres begins with a credits spoof of 80's soap opera's like Dallas.
- Note collecting is back and will act has currency that'll allow you to bu vehicle blueprints.

Wow. :D

Really want to see this stuff...

Especially Banjo.

Other previews
- Fallout 3 (PS3, 360, PC)
- Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning (PC)
- Skate It (Wii, DS)
- Darksiders: Wrath of War (PS3, 360)
- Tales of Vesperia (360)
- Rise of the Argonauts (PS3, 360, PC)
- Haze (PS3)
- The Sims (PC)
- Ninja Gaiden 2 (360)
- Line Runner 2: Unbound (Wii, DS, PC)
- Order Up (Wii)
- Damnnation (PS3, 360, PC)
- Mushroom Men: Rise of the Fungi (DS)
- Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon (PS3, 360)
- Metal Gear Online (PS3)
- WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, PSP)
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
- Freaky Creatures (PC)
- Guitar Hero: On Tour (DS)
- Final Fantasy IV (DS)
- 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3, 360)
- Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (Wii)
- Gauntlet (DS)
- Robocalypse (DS)
- Sonic Unleashed (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2)
- Baja (PS3, 360)

If it's something new the bolded interest me.

I may get a issue later.

Manager

SolidSnakex said:
They don't say specifically what is the primary or secondary focus. This is the exact quote

Thank you! Will be interesting to see if it's Diddy Kong Racing with some short platform elements or actually Banjo Kazooie with Kong Racing elements.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I HATE this vehicle-thing. I wanna a platformer. Not a shooter-racer-hybrid. Why Rare? WHY?
You really should give it a chance, sounds like there are platformer elements and that the vehicles are varied and interesting. I really think it sounds intriguing and different, and I'm glad to see Rare pour a lot of effort into what I think is one of their best brands.

Shins

Banned
I'm glad to them trying to break out from Banjo's original formula. I'm not sold on vehicles, and hope the platforming still receives plenty of attention, but I'd much rather they try something new with the customizable vehicles than just a meaningless collect-a-thon.

Costanza said:
GH4 sounds pretty cool... but if the notecharts are as shitty as they were in GH3 then it doesn't really matter.

GH's notecharts have progressively been moving towards pleasing the likes of you.

That is to say, two note chords and long hammer on sections.

Nolan.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I HATE this vehicle-thing. I wanna a platformer. Not a shooter-racer-hybrid. Why Rare? WHY?

I love platformers but i'm interested in seeing them push the boundaries and test new things instead of sticking to tradition too strictly.

Edit: Also it doesn't sound like it's a huge part of the game enough to detract from it being a platformer.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Banjo sounds way too vehicle oriented for my taste.

Seems like they found a fun little concept and went completely overboard with it. Jury still out on Banjo.

GitarooMan said:
You really should give it a chance, sounds like there are platformer elements and that the vehicles are varied and interesting. I really think it sounds intriguing and different, and I'm glad to see Rare pour a lot of effort into what I think is one of their best brands.

I just hope that the Soundtrack will live up my expectations. Come on Kirkhope! I wanna tracks comparable to Rusty Bucket Bay or Clanker's Cavern.

MarkMacD

SolidSnakex said:

Glad to hear Rare is staying on the cutting edge of social satire.

Top Bottom