• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaton rumor: Shenmue 1 & 2 may be heading to the Wii!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, we're trusting GameFAQ posts now.

And European magazines?

Coolio.

To be honest, I love love loved Shenmue 2, but I'm pretty sure those two games would be borderline unplayable now.

Troidal

Oh the boundless possibilities...

balance the wiimote = carrying books
shake wiimote = dust off books
yeah

Shenmue was a game waiting for the Wii controller.

I doubt so much that this is true... but if it does end up existing, I'll gladly buy both, and play through both again.

Ronin said:
Dreamcast ports = Megaton?
Correction, Dreamcast port of one of the industries most overlooked gems.

Die Squirrel Die said:
That has to be sarcasm, but I'm just never sure with this place.
Nope.

Everything about the game screamed Wiimote. The game was hindered by being on a standard analog stick bearing controller.

.................................... Why?

Thunder Monkey said:
Shenmue was a game waiting for the Wii controller.

I doubt so much that this is true... but if it does end up existing, I'll gladly buy both, and play through both again.
Yeah, I mean -- just about every game is waiting for the Wii controller. Grand Theft Auto IV, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden II, Phantasy Star Online... Man, so many games. They would just be perfect for the Wii controller. You have a truly innovative mind. 3/10, man. 3/10.

I risked catching the GameFAQs retardation to get the scan:

Supposed translation:

"Shenmue är tillbaka!"
"Sega har den senaste tiden återlanserat klassiker som Nights,Bass Fishing och House of the Dead. Nu sägs Shenmue stå på tur. Men tro inte att det handlar om ett nytt spel, nej istället är det de båda ursprungliga Shenmue-spelen som försetts med Wiimote-minispel och som nu ska komma till Wii."

In English:
"Shenmue is back!"
"Sega has rereleased classics like Nights,Bass Fishing and House of the Dead lately. Now it's said that Shenmue is next. But don't think that it's about a new game, instead, they're bringing back the two original Shenmue games with extra Wiimote-minigames which will be released for the Wii."

Cowie

Odysseus said:
don't you mean sitetryingtograbhitsfromgulliblesegafanston?

when i was trying to decipher your sentence, i found out that segafan has gaf perfectly in the middle of it. replacement megaton.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
While I'd love this to be true, I'd rather there be a new Jet Set Radio game for Wii. The Wiimote is perfect for it.

zaidr

I always wanted to play the Shenmue games. I even had a Dreamcast. Never found me a copy though. Was it really that good? By the time I got around to knowing about Shenmue and becoming interested, GTA came out and filled my "open world" void. Did I miss much?

Thunder Monkey said:
Nope.

Everything about the game screamed Wiimote. The game was hindered by being on a standard analog stick bearing controller.

Okay....I'll just slowly back out the way...no sudden movements...I'm just removing the sharp objects...I'm not going to hurt you.

But seriously, I can't think of any way, shape or form in which the Wii controller would improve Shenmue's controls. In fact, given the industries track record on this thing, it'd probably only make things worse.

Dali

I've got Shenmue 1 & 2 for Dreamcast and 2 is also available on the Xbox. If people want it they can get it no problem. As Sega will likely not touch the graphics the only new thing about it would probably be the Wii controls. Granted the original controls could definitely have used an extra analog stick so the Wii-mote would be an improvement but I still don't think it's really worth it. If Sega is pulling some lame ass Capcom "it's a test" bullshit by dangling the Shenmue 3 carrot in front of gamers then they can go fuck themselves.

ICallItFutile said:
If the Metroid Prime 1 + 2 rumor is true too, the Wii will have the best games for your buck! ;)

Just not news ones.

:lol

I guess that's one way to look at it. Last gen was so good Nintendo refuses to let it go.

zaidr said:
I always wanted to play the Shenmue games. I even had a Dreamcast. Never found me a copy though. Was it really that good? By the time I got around to knowing about Shenmue and becoming interested, GTA came out and filled my "open world" void. Did I miss much?

For their time the games were pretty revolutionary (and divisive). The story, art direction and attention to detail in creating the world are still pretty impressive. The gameplay hasn't aged so well, and a lot of technical elements, like loading times, character pop-in and framerate are pretty poor.

At this point, even if you could play them, with no sign of Shenmue 3 on the horizon, it probably wouldn't be worth starting in on them.

DataBot

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I refuse to buy Dreamcast ports on other systems.

But this could mean Sega has some interest in a Shenmue sequel!!!

Only if the ports sell..
So buy them if ...

JavaMava

I wish this game would just go away. We're never getting 3 and they should stop reminding me of that every few years.

Phthisis

Thunder Monkey said:
Nope.

WHERE WERE YOU IN 2001 WHEN WAGGLE NEEDED YOU!? IT NEEDED YOUUUUUUUUUU...!!!!!

Die Squirrel Die said:
Okay....I'll just slowly back out the way...no sudden movements...I'm just removing the sharp objects...I'm not going to hurt you.

But seriously, I can't think of any way, shape or form in which the Wii controller would improve Shenmue's controls. In fact, given the industries track record on this thing, it'd probably only make things worse.
It'd take a lot more thinking then Sega has shown for the last few years, but I envision the game playing like this:

Free Roam controls
Analog stick: Run/walk (omg Sega analog sticks can be used for analog movement!)
IR: Ryu's head movements
A: Context sensitive
B: Focus
Z: lock on
+: Item screen
C: Takin' pikshoors

Fighting controls
Analog stick: Movement
A: Punches
B: Kickes
A&B: Grapple those fucking sailors!
Z: Guard

Racing controls
Steal racing controls from any assortment of Wii racing titles.

I think it could work. Knowing Sega though... maybe it's best it doesn't get released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom