• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

JonathanEx
Member
(05-21-2008, 09:45 AM)
JonathanEx's Avatar
"Dick Gaywood? What's wrong with that getting changed?" I hear you say. Well, it turns out, it's the guy's name. Yes, Microsoft are now forcing a change on the gamertag RichardGaywood, which can only mean that the person's name, Richard Gaywood, is offensive in itself.

Story is from Kotaku

Last week, Microsoft banned a user from Xbox Live for having the gamertag theGAYERgamer. Things did not end well. Now, tonight, we get an email from another Xbox Live user whose gamertag has been barred because it violates XBL policies (remember, you can't have a sexual term in your name, regardless of sexual orientation). The incriminating gamertag? RichardGaywood. The problem here? It's the gamertag of a Mr. Richard Gaywood, a now-disgruntled 360 owner from the UK (and yes, we've confirmed this is his real name). Oops.

He's also included a picture of his driving license: http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardgaywood/2510924104/

He also did comment in the article, one of them being:


Yes, it's my name. I'm the guy who mailed this to kotaku (if you can on this site, check the creation date for this account, which will be well before today). Or you can have a copy of part of my driver's licence if you like: [www.flickr.com]

As for whether my parents hated me, heh, yeah, it's a valid point. Believe me when I say I heard all the jokes before the age of 10 though.

I have no idea why MS banhammered my tag, given that they could confirm from the billing address that it's my real name. Where does it stop though? Xbox live is an international service, what if a German person's tag has the Spanish word for gay in it? Why stop at the word gay? What if I come from Scunthorpe? Maybe this is why the Wii has numbers instead of tags.

This is just getting a bit silly now.
CajoleJuice
(05-21-2008, 09:47 AM)
CajoleJuice's Avatar
That is one rough name. Wow.
rakka
(05-21-2008, 09:47 AM)
rakka's Avatar
holy shit @ name :lol
sykoex
Lost all credibility.
(05-21-2008, 09:49 AM)
sykoex's Avatar

Originally Posted by CajoleJuice

That is one rough name. Wow.

Originally Posted by rakka

holy shit @ name :lol

Imagine this, but 50 times worse during any halo game he enters. Now see why he was removed?
Tempy
don't ask me for codes
(05-21-2008, 09:49 AM)
Tempy's Avatar
Kotaku really is the gaming sites' equivalent of tabloid newspapers aren't they?
Full Recovery
(05-21-2008, 09:49 AM)
Full Recovery's Avatar
I wonder if he has a boy named Sue.
Jamesfrom818
Banned
(05-21-2008, 09:49 AM)
Jamesfrom818's Avatar
Better than Gaylord.
Pop On Arrival
Member
(05-21-2008, 09:50 AM)
Pop On Arrival's Avatar
Wonder if Guy Cocker from gamespot is having any problems with his gamertag.
The Faceless Master
(05-21-2008, 09:50 AM)
The Faceless Master's Avatar
he must have had a rough time in school
JonathanEx
Member
(05-21-2008, 09:51 AM)
JonathanEx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tempy

Kotaku really is the gaming sites' equivalent of tabloid newspapers aren't they?

No, that's GameDaily, the site which brings us wonderful things every day like "Babe of the Week", "10 Celebrities Who Need Wii Fit" (read as: let's laugh at fatties), and a "Wii Fit vs Big Mac" comparison article.
gofreak
GAF's Bob Woodward
(05-21-2008, 09:51 AM)
gofreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by sykoex

Imagine this, but 50 times worse during any halo game he enters. Now see why he was removed?

Not really. They should remove the other people.

I'm guessing he fell foul of some automatic name checker thingie.
Iced_Eagle
Member
(05-21-2008, 09:52 AM)
Iced_Eagle's Avatar
You know, you would think that at one time or another, his parents thought "Man, this child is such a bastard. Let's call him Richard so everyone will laugh at him and put him in his place" :lol

Sucks (no pun intended) he was banned. Just another humiliating story for him!
SIP YEK NOD
Banned
(05-21-2008, 09:54 AM)
Dick Gaywood.....


I wonder if he knows Gaylord Focker
The Faceless Master
(05-21-2008, 09:54 AM)
The Faceless Master's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonathanEx

No, that's GameDaily, the site which brings us wonderful things every day like "Babe of the Week", "10 Celebrities Who Need Wii Fit" (read as: let's laugh at fatties), and a "Wii Fit vs Big Mac" comparison article.

GameDaily has tons of street cred for ditching GDC and going to the AVN awards and interviewing pornstars!
industrian
will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
(05-21-2008, 09:54 AM)
industrian's Avatar
I wonder if Dick van Dyke has a Gamertag.
AkuMifune
Banned
(05-21-2008, 09:55 AM)
AkuMifune's Avatar
Dick Gaywood? Wow. He's been through enough already.
Flynn
"I am so fired..."
(05-21-2008, 09:55 AM)
Flynn's Avatar

Originally Posted by gofreak

They should remove the other people.

This really needs to happen.
JonathanEx
Member
(05-21-2008, 09:56 AM)
JonathanEx's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Faceless Master

GameDaily has tons of street cred for ditching GDC and going to the AVN awards and interviewing pornstars!

In a wonderful article which was obviously "shit, we've gone to the porn show on the site's budget, quick, come up with a shitty post so it's all fine!"
fanboi
Banned
(05-21-2008, 09:58 AM)
fanboi's Avatar

Originally Posted by rakka

holy shit @ name :lol

Good hand good hand.

But I raise you with


fanboi
Banned
(05-21-2008, 10:00 AM)
fanboi's Avatar
*damn webbrowser :|*
acm2000
(05-21-2008, 10:14 AM)
why keep making these threads? his name is unfortunate, but it is also unsuitable for XBL gamertag for many many obvious reasons
itxaka
Defeatist
(05-21-2008, 10:17 AM)
itxaka's Avatar

Originally Posted by fanboi

Good hand good hand.

But I raise you with


[IMG]http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/gaylord_perry_autograph.jpg[G]

Is that true?? How can anybody call his child Gaylord? didn´t they though he was ganna be fucked at school?
Brashnir
Member
(05-21-2008, 10:19 AM)

Originally Posted by itxaka

Is that true?? How can anybody call his child Gaylord? didn´t they though he was ganna be fucked at school?

back then gay didn't mean what it means today.
Jonnyram
(05-21-2008, 10:21 AM)
Jonnyram's Avatar
Umm, he should be able to use his name if he wants to. This shit is retarded.
I'm pretty sure it's just a clerical error and MS will sort things out.
StarEye
The Amiga Brotherhood
(05-21-2008, 10:34 AM)
StarEye's Avatar
What about Marvin Gaye?
herod
Member
(05-21-2008, 10:38 AM)
herod's Avatar
I'm changing mine to scunthorpe
Jonnyram
(05-21-2008, 10:41 AM)
Jonnyram's Avatar

Originally Posted by herod

I'm changing mine to scunthorpe

SunnyScunny would be awesome.
Larsen B
Member
(05-21-2008, 10:52 AM)
Larsen B's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonnyram

SunnyScunny would be awesome.

Although I think it was the cunt he was trying to point out, rather than just declaring a love for the nation's favourite industrial market.
Jonnyram
(05-21-2008, 10:53 AM)
Jonnyram's Avatar

Originally Posted by Larsen B

Although I think it was the cunt he was trying to point out, rather than just declaring a love for the nation's favourite industrial market.

Yeah, and you don't say cunny as a diminutive form of that where you come from, it seems.
aku:jiki
Member
(05-21-2008, 10:56 AM)
aku:jiki's Avatar
Can we stop being so sensationalist about this? Nobody's getting banned, they're being asked to change their names. Forcefully so, yes, but they're not banned. Happened to someone on my friends list twice and he was on COD4 with new names (for the same account) without a hitch.
Larsen B
Member
(05-21-2008, 11:12 AM)
Larsen B's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonnyram

Yeah, and you don't say cunny as a diminutive form of that where you come from, it seems.

We just call 'em jizz caverns.
andthebeatgoeson
Junior Member
(05-21-2008, 11:24 AM)
andthebeatgoeson's Avatar

Originally Posted by StarEye

What about Marvin Gaye?

Haha, under MS' current rules, Marvin Gaye would not be able to play XBL? WTF is going on?

Originally Posted by aku:jiki

Can we stop being so sensationalist about this? Nobody's getting banned, they're being asked to change their names. Forcefully so, yes, but they're not banned. Happened to someone on my friends list twice and he was on COD4 with new names (for the same account) without a hitch.

But doesn't that say something about the word gay? That it's unacceptable? Isn't that wrong? It just seems wrong from a big company like MS. Someone with the name, Gaywood, who could easily be verified, is forced to change his name, essentially because of 12 yr old immature kids.
TAJ
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
(05-21-2008, 11:25 AM)
TAJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonnyram

Yeah, and you don't say cunny as a diminutive form of that where you come from, it seems.

We do, but only in magazines published by Larry Flynt.
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(05-21-2008, 11:35 AM)
thetrin's Avatar
He really should have gone all the way and gone with DickGaywood.
Gattsu25
Banned
(05-21-2008, 12:47 PM)
Gattsu25's Avatar
He used his actual name as his gamertag?
Illuminati
Member
(05-21-2008, 12:52 PM)

Originally Posted by aku:jiki

Can we stop being so sensationalist about this?.

This is a travesty and goes against the second amendment!
Visualante
Member
(05-21-2008, 12:53 PM)
Visualante's Avatar
I got banned from Wikipedia by this asshole for using my real name. He wouldn't respond to my e.mail and the appeals process is so pathetic on that site you never get anywhere.
Doc Evils
Member
(05-21-2008, 12:57 PM)
Doc Evils's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Faceless Master

GameDaily has tons of street cred for ditching GDC and going to the AVN awards and interviewing pornstars!


Thanks to them we now know Jenna Haze is a PS3 fan girl and likes Final Fantasy!
Evenflow
Member
(05-21-2008, 01:06 PM)
eznark
Banned
(05-21-2008, 01:13 PM)
eznark's Avatar
to play Devil's Advocate (it's ludicrous that Richard Gaywood is offensive to anyone) does the fact that it's a real name make it automatically okay? I mean, there are some crazy people out there. What if one of em names their kid Killajew Smith or Deathtowhitey Jones?

Banning Richard Gaywood is absurd because it isn't offensive not because it's his real name.
nib95
Banned
(05-21-2008, 01:16 PM)
nib95's Avatar
That's just taking it too far now.
duckroll
Member
(05-21-2008, 01:19 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by eznark

to play Devil's Advocate (it's ludicrous that Richard Gaywood is offensive to anyone) does the fact that it's a real name make it automatically okay? I mean, there are some crazy people out there. What if one of em names their kid Killajew Smith or Deathtowhitey Jones?

Banning Richard Gaywood is absurd because it isn't offensive not because it's his real name.

A name like Killajew and Deathtowhitey would probably mean the guy has way more serious problems in his life than getting banned from XBL. :lol
Vaandaviii
Member
(05-21-2008, 01:22 PM)

Xbox live is an international service, what if a German person's tag has the Spanish word for gay in it?

So true!! If microsoft ruled the world, "wii" would have been banned from XPhere Life! service in many countries... :lol
Vaandaviii
Member
(05-21-2008, 01:27 PM)

Originally Posted by eznark

to play Devil's Advocate (it's ludicrous that Richard Gaywood is offensive to anyone) does the fact that it's a real name make it automatically okay? I mean, there are some crazy people out there. What if one of em names their kid Killajew Smith or Deathtowhitey Jones?

Banning Richard Gaywood is absurd because it isn't offensive not because it's his real name.

Do killajew exists as a name? :lol I mean, where I live you can not name your son as you wish, if the name is going to be presumably offensive for him in the future, you can not put him that name.

Anyways, I know of several cases in south american countries where there is people actually called "roberrefor" (From "robert redford") as first name, for example. Those parents should be killed and the government nuked.
eznark
Banned
(05-21-2008, 01:30 PM)
eznark's Avatar
shit, I don't know if it exists but it wouldn't surprise me with some of the absurd names I hear. My point is only that banning the tag for being offensive is stupid regardless of it being his real name or not.


Haha, under MS' current rules, Marvin Gaye would not be able to play XBL? WTF is going on?

I don't know about you, but I wasn't forced to use my real name, so Marvin Gaye could in fact play XBL, probably as SmooveSoulxx69
Jive Turkey
Member
(05-21-2008, 01:33 PM)
Jive Turkey's Avatar
If my name were Dick Gaywood the last thing I'd want to do would be to advertise it online.

Off topic but kinda not: I have met people with the following names:

Jack Hoff
Kishma Ashe
Shithead (pronounced Sha-THEE-ed) Green
Amarox
Member
(05-21-2008, 01:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey

Off topic but kinda not: I have met people with the following names:

Jack Hoff
Kishma Ashe
Shithead (pronounced Sha-THEE-ed) Green

Sure you did.
eznark
Banned
(05-21-2008, 01:38 PM)
eznark's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey

If my name were Dick Gaywood the last thing I'd want to do would be to advertise it online.

Off topic but kinda not: I have met people with the following names:

Jack Hoff
Kishma Ashe
Shithead (pronounced Sha-THEE-ed) Green



Jack Hoff...okay
Kishma Ashe...pushing it
Shithead (pronounced Sha-THEE-ed) Green...I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!!!

Mike Hunt is a sports columnist for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, however
Jinfash
needs 2 extra inches
(05-21-2008, 01:40 PM)
Jinfash's Avatar


Mother Focker isn't too pleased
Count Dookkake
Member
(05-21-2008, 01:41 PM)
Are Wang or Cocks allowed?

Thread Tools