• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Installing game every Act (MGS4). Is this a good trend of game loading?

MCD

urk said:
It's fucking lame and one of my biggest complaints with the title. Now, if installation at each act was the solution to allow seamless play throughout each act, start to finish, I would be okay with it, but it isn't. You still have to load each and every time you enter a new area, before each cutscene, and often several times during what should be intense action sequences. It absolutely harms the immersion.

What makes it more egregious is that other titles are capable of pulling of similar sequences without chopping up the action. Imagine the jeep chase in Uncharted if after every third enemy you killed, the game needed to load. But guess what, it's a one shot chase, start to finish. Oh, and it's probably one of the best graphical sequences on consoles to date.

Loading sucks. It should be minimized. And if installs are going to be used as the method to curtail frequent loads, then they should, you know, curtail frequent loads.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11658700&postcount=6

you nailed it better than me.

inner-G

Banned
Mrbob said:
Installing is a good thing. The only problem is the PS3 hdd isn't big enough for full scale installs so there are some restrictions. When the X720 and PS4 are out with their 500GB+ hdds it will be nice to do full installs.
No doubt.

There are 20GB PS3s out there.

How would you do a 'full install' of a game bigger than the HDD?

Acosta

Frenck said:
Those zones are a MGS staple. They didn't have to include them as a technical compromise. It's part of the MGS formula, just like screens in 2D games.

I don't buy that, especially when Kojima talks about they fell short on the scope of the scenario.

Loading is not part of any formula, it's always a technical compromise.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
They should have made it so you install the act once, and then never have to worry about installing the act again, or install the whole game upon startup... it was really frustrating, because my brother played the game in tandem with me, and he would usually be a chapter behind (
but the bastard played the game all last night while I was out and he beat it :p
)... so every time I wanted to play, I'd have to install my current chapter, or he would have to install his.

And what's up with installing downloaded demos/games off PSN? That's so stupid.

Blackhead

Redarse
urk said:
It's fucking lame and one of my biggest complaints with the title. Now, if installation at each act was the solution to allow seamless play throughout each act, start to finish, I would be okay with it, but it isn't. You still have to load each and every time you enter a new area, before each cutscene, and often several times during what should be intense action sequences. It absolutely harms the immersion.

What makes it more egregious is that other titles are capable of pulling of similar sequences without chopping up the action. Imagine the jeep chase in Uncharted if after every third enemy you killed, the game needed to load. But guess what, it's a one shot chase, start to finish. Oh, and it's probably one of the best graphical sequences on consoles to date.

Loading sucks. It should be minimized. And if installs are going to be used as the method to curtail frequent loads, then they should, you know, curtail frequent loads.

Moray

I don't like the idea of installing games for consoles, it's just inconvenient. I'll take Uncharted's streaming tech over full installs.

ThirdEye

It loads faster than the traditional DVD-based games since it's installed on HDD even after you turn off the console. In 360/PS2 days you had to see a loading screen each time you reset a game. Also it kills popups seen in HDD-caching games such as Uncharted.

I don't see why some are whining about this, zapping thru each act in 1 session is highly unlikely unless you are a super hardcore who enjoys speedrunning everyday.

methos75

Banned
I hate these fucking installs, I have a 60GB and I am now down to less than 4GB on my HDD, things need to change, hell Sony, atleast give me the option of placing my PS3 game demo's and Downloaded games on my External HDD.

Shins

Banned
The loading was an annoyance. I doubt it will become something that becomes common. I'm not sure why the game was built in such a way as to necessitate this system of continuous installs, or if it was just a dumb decision on KP's part to disallow one big install. Playing through the game again, its disappointing to have to still wait through the installs each act. Why were they not simply stored on my hard drive? I have the space. Its nice that they seem to have tried to keep down the space the game takes up as much as possible for those who want that, but I do not.

And given the installs, the loading between zones was also unexpected. Maybe its the way they're presented, but they really break up the game, especially during more hectic moments.

Firewire said:
I'm enjoying the game, and believe it or not the loading or installing between acts doesn't bother me at all.
oh I believe you :)

pestul

inner-G said:
No doubt.

Exactly. Just about everyone here could put in a larger HDD on their own, but there are too many 20GB PS3 owners out there who have no intention of doing something like that and they shouldn't have to.

Mrbob

I suppose there are a couple ways Konami could have hidden the loads.

There are some long ass cutscenes in this game, the next act could load during them. Or perhaps during the mission briefing. If you hit a button to skip these then it could bring you to the installing screen.

Oblivion installs during the opening intro. It is seamless and works great.

That honestly sounds like the worst possible solution to this "problem". If it was any other game it'd have been a major issue and would have had points docked in reviews, if it works as you say it does.

Moray said:
I don't like the idea of installing games for consoles, it's just inconvenient. I'll take Uncharted's streaming tech over full installs.

This. The PS3 has plenty capable of large, detailed levels with minimal loading and no installing. Kojima Productions should have dedicated more resources to this area.

Shins

Banned
brain_stew said:
That honestly sounds like the worst possible solution to this "problem".
How in the hell do you figure that? Loading during a cutscene would be very unobtrusive. Goodness knows the briefings are long enough to accommodate them.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Mrbob said:

There are some long ass cutscenes in this game, the next act could load during them. Or perhaps during the mission briefing. If you hit a button to skip these then it could bring you to the installing screen.

This would be logical, that's why they didn't do it.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Mrbob said:

Wouldnt that introduce mega fps drops, since its ingame engine cutscenes?

Shins said:
How in the hell do you figure that? Loading during a cutscene would be very unobtrusive. Goodness knows the briefings are long enough to accommodate them.

No, no, no, my comment was in reply to the OP. I didn't quote anyone's post, hence it was in reply to the original question. I agree a system like Oblivion is a much better idea.

Tiduz said:
Wouldnt that introduce mega fps drops, since its ingame engine cutscenes?

Then store them as video, and stream them from the disc, a 50GB Bluray gives more than enough space to do this if no other solution is possible.

Narag

inner-G said:
No doubt.

So is the 20GB PS3 finally the tard pack that inhibits development like the 360 arcade?

Igo

I can't believe people are actually making this out to be a big deal. Do the same people that complain about these 2 minute installs also comlpain everytime they have to wait while connecting to a server when playing online? Everytime I play CS/TF2 it takes longer than 2 minutes to load the game, connect to a server, and then for a round to start. This whole discussion is such nonsense.

Ryu

PC games have had long install times and load times for quite some time so the MGS4 stuff doesn't bother me in the least. Even Half Life 2 has loading in the middle of levels (though more or less significant depending on your hardware). This happens even if you're not running off the disk. This is nothing new.

My problem with the MGS4 installs is that it happens between each act every time you play it. If the initial install and the installs between acts on your first run through were the only times they had to be done for every play through, I'd be fine with it, but that's not how it works. When you play the game from start to finish your second run through, the between act installs are there again and that's pretty lame. For example:

Lets say I want to show a friend a sequence from act 3 and then another from act 4 loading up separate save files. To do this, the game has to do two separate installs even though I've already installed them from my first run through. That's irritating to me. I wish there was a way to do a full install and just keep it on my HDD as that would make this complaint moot. Alas, I had no idea Sony had restrictions on the amount of data a game can install on the HDD. That changes things considerably.

I just wish we had the option of a full install for the whole game so on my second, third and fourth run, I wouldn't have to install anything else.

roxya

I'm not sure how they could win on this one. Without any install, we've no idea how the game would have turned out. With a full install of all acts, we'd have the usual whine patrol complaining about running out of hd space.

I didn't mind this method at all, but luckily my brother prefers to watch me play MGS than play it himself.

keyrat

What I wonder is what people would hope for as an alternative. I think we can safely say that given the importance of this game to its creator, all options were explored, and this was the best one. Whatever other way it could have been done would probably have made you wait even longer.

inner-G

Banned
Narag said:
So is the 20GB PS3 finally the tard pack that inhibits development like the 360 arcade?
maybe?

Though it's still not really a 'tard pack' compared to the core 360. It has all the same pieces of hardware (except wi-fi). To this day I cannot believe MS went from xbox 1 with standard HDD to dropping it for the 360. It literally blows my mind.

seat

ThirdEye said:
It loads faster than the traditional DVD-based games since it's installed on HDD even after you turn off the console. In 360/PS2 days you had to see a loading screen each time you reset a game. Also it kills popups seen in HDD-caching games such as Uncharted.
Are we even playing the same game? There's definitely a "Now Loading..." screen when you start a saved game in MGS4, not to mention some unavoidable logo screens before the title screen comes up.

I don't think some people are being objective about this. There is going to be a wait for games like this, end of story. The question is how do you want that wait? A 23 minute 10 gig install? A 5 gig rolling install with minimal loading (vary minimal in MGS4: 3-4 seconds), or a 5 gig with no Act loading and longer loading screens.

No matter which of these three it would be, people would be bitching about 'install time too long', 'install size too big', or 'scene-to-scene loading too long'. As we stand in console gaming, there is no perfect solution and I think some people are trying to argue this against some Utopian scenario.

Personally I think they found the best possible solution they could. They do the largest install first, and only once. The largest install time after that is 3 minutes (then 2, then 1). The loading from scene to scene is only a few second and it keeps the game play moving.The only place where the MGS4 fails is if for some reason (which I have) needed to load different saves on different acts.

Lastly I'll point out that at this time, MGS4 is the only console game of this size, and the only to have this strange kind of install, so I wouldn't call it a trend just yet.

I got a 20 gig unit, but I spent the 'saved' 100 bucks on a 100 gig HDD. At this point, its cheap enough that I think 20 gig owners should look to upgrade. How many of us are there any way?

Splatt

Tiduz said:
Im pretty ashamed to be a gamer sometimes, with all this "Defense Force" and "Console Wars" going on, they are fucking games for fucks sake, people are acting like this will cause world war 3.

What!? Metal Gear can launch nukes!?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Igo said:
I can't believe people are actually making this out to be a big deal. Do the same people that complain about these 2 minute installs also comlpain everytime they have to wait while connecting to a server when playing online? Everytime I play CS/TF2 it takes longer than 2 minutes to load the game, connect to a server, and then for a round to start. This whole discussion is such nonsense.

This is not an intelligent comparison. What if you had to load after every ten kills? Like right in the middle of the fucking action...BAM, you're loading again.

ThirdEye

seat said:
Are we even playing the same game? There's definitely a "Now Loading..." screen when you start a saved game in MGS4, not to mention some unavoidable logo screens before the title screen comes up.
Without installing, it will become even longer. GT5P has loading too, but its experience is much better than the previous gen.

Goldrusher

Costanza said:
GTA has like a 3 minute load every time you boot the game...
Brashnir said:
1 minute, 24 seconds from closing the tray to controlling Niko. I just timed it.
Thanks for timing. Definitely didn't feel like 3 minutes at all, only about a minute going from the XMB to playing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The loading was an annoyance. I doubt it will become something that becomes common. I'm not sure why the game was built in such a way as to necessitate this system of continuous installs, or if it was just a dumb decision on KP's part to disallow one big install.
They could not have simply installed the full game, unfortunately. The data that is installed requires over 11gb and Sony does not allow any game to install more than 5gb total. They should have found a way to handle the data without installing ALL of that, however.

Mrbob

Also, one last thing. I really don't want to make this an east/west thing but lets face it, Japanese developers are struggling big time with the 360 and PS3. Top tier teams who would have some of the most polished products last gen (Ninja Gaiden, MGS2, MGS3) are now struggling with how to handle technical data with these new systems. It really does seem they have fallen behind the curve when it comes to the techincal aspect of making games, so I think this is the best we can expect until they get up to speed. Even Capcom has their issues. Dead Rising on 360 is awesome, but it has a massive amount of loading in it as well. Streaming doesn't seem to be a strong suit of japanese development right now.

Monocle

The idea of installations for console games makes me uncomfortable, though not owning a PS3 myself I can't say how much they would actually bother me. However, I can pretty much guarantee that I'd find MGS4's multiple installations very disagreeable. It seems to me that loading periods of moderate length would be preferable to sitting through an installation every time I wanted to play a different chapter of the game.

Vinci

Danish
Haunted One said:
PC gaming welcomes you into its fold.

This generation is pushing towards that, definitely. I keep imagining next generation being Sony and Microsoft offering you the shell of a console for $200 and saying, "Go ahead, fill it with whatever you want." PC gaming isn't dead like others suggest; it was simply so far ahead on the evolutionary scale that the rest are trying desperately to catch up with it.

And personally, it sort of pisses me off. Consoles are great because they're convenient; the moment they cease being convenient, then what's the fucking point of differentiating them from PCs at all?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think a lot of people are bringing up "disk swapping" as some kind of counterpoint when it really seems to be more of a streaming issue. Seems like the streaming engine needs some work-- i'd love it if Naughty Dog could take a look at it before the Substance/Subsistence rerelease. :)

But has anyone actually determined that it would be eliminated by disk swapping? Seems like a lot of fanboy hot air on that one.

McDragon said:
To be fair to Capcom, Dead Rising was their first big next gen. project.

The same is true of Kojipro.

MCD

Mrbob said:
Also, one last thing. I really don't want to make this an east/west thing but lets face it, Japanese developers are struggling big time with the 360 and PS3. Top tier teams who would have some of the most polished products last gen (Ninja Gaiden, MGS2, MGS3) are now struggling with how to handle technical data with these new systems. It really does seem they have fallen behind the curve when it comes to the techincal aspect of making games, so I think this is the best we can expect until they get up to speed. Even Capcom has their issues. Dead Rising on 360 is awesome, but it has a massive amount of loading in it as well. Streaming doesn't seem to be a strong suit of japanese development right now.
To be fair to Capcom, Dead Rising was their first big next gen. project.

stuminus3

I laughed a while back at how I used to play games on my old 48k Sinclair ZX Spectrum. You'd get games where you'd finish a level, and have to press "play" on the tape to load the next one. Oh, what crazy times we lived in, how far we've come, I thought.

Then this happened.

Yeah, it's no good at all. I don't care for the reasons for it. I just want to play.

Forsete

stuminus3 said:
I laughed a while back at how I used to play games on my old 48k Sinclair ZX Spectrum. You'd get games where you'd finish a level, and have to press "play" on the tape to load the next one. Oh, what crazy times we lived in, how far we've come, I thought.

Then this happened.

Yeah, it's no good at all. I don't care for the reasons for it. I just want to play.

:lol Really?

I suppose people will grab on to anything. :lol

kairu

I played the game marathon style, though from 12am Thurs - 5am Thurs, then 11am Thurs - 5am Fri. I enjoyed the installs because my furious eye strain got to rest for a minute or 2.

Playing through the game several times after the first, they are pretty quick. I wish you could choose to keep all of them on there so they didnt have to re install every time you play.

samratty

I didn't see it as an issue in till I started hoping between acts to look at different portions of the game... Then it became an infuriating nightmare which pretty much stops you from playing this way.

I'd prefer one big install, although I imagine it would be quite a heafty size. Ideal world however, no install, no load times, but we're far of from that.

Frenck

Banned
samratty said:
I didn't see it as an issue in till I started hoping between acts to look at different portions of the game... Then it became an infuriating nightmare which pretty much stops you from playing this way.

I'd prefer one big install, although I imagine it would be quite a heafty size. Ideal world however, no install, no load times, but we're far of from that.

Until Nintendo goes back to module based gaming with Wii 2 :D

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
samratty said:

5 years ago I had a Gamecube, and most (of my) games didn't have loading times.
10 years ago I had an N64 with no loading times.

Yes we're far from the times of no install and no loading times...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
McDragon said:
true but they had more time, no?

edit: and even a bigger budget.

I don't know what MGS4's budget was, but I'm pretty sure a lot of it was not spent on this sort of tech-- things like military and locale research, the rumored $4 million opening, voice talent, developing the online game, etc. MGS4 is a much bigger production than Dead Rising ever hoped to be.

With regards to time, the complaint seems to be more of a tech complaint here ("Japanese developers can't stream lolz!"). They're not going to learn how to write a new streaming engine in the middle of a three year huge project.

But I would like it if Naughty Dog, who has unquestionably the best streaming engine on console, would look at the code :)

jaypah

traveler said:
Absolutely not. Do any of you have siblings/other people who play on the same console? The problem is horrifically exacerbated by the fact that I was playing MGS4 alongside my brother and we were consistently at different parts of the game. (i.e. each of us has to wait 3 minutes every time we want to play) I literally had over an hour of installing during my MGS4 playthrough. I understand the idea, but, please, at least give us the option to do one big install upfront.

no way dude. didn't you read the post by people with MGS avatars? this is a good thing. because.....well, because the game is great! or because it gives you time to do other stuff like take a piss. never mind the fact that you may not have to piss....try anyway! and your scenario makes this install system seem like it could be bad somehow. so it's obviously not true and you made it up to discredit MGS4. did i miss anything? oh yeah, it's better than switching discs because i like Metal Gear.

srsly, some of y'all are beyond crazy with your love for a game franchise. this install method is retarded as fuck from the standpoint of any gamer. or should be. i know fanboism can cloud ones mind but to defend this shit? really? :lol saying, "i like the game so it didn't bother me" isn't really answering the question of the thread starter. would you like to see this practice going forward? if so then you're absolutely fucking crazy and i hope your opinion never becomes law for games.

and no i haven't played all the way through and yes i think it's the best game of the gen already.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
samratty said:

Uncharted already has that.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
oneHeero said:
I love the few mins I'm allowed to breath and take care of other things. Any of you have kids? You dont have to change diapers? Get them a quick snack cuz they are crying and interrupting your experience.

Gotcha, "change the diapers" is the new "go make a sandwich." I'll keep that in mind!

The per-act installs are annoying (and as pointed out, any other game with "Now Loading" in its place would be crucified here), but I would like to have seen them eliminate mid-level loading and have each act be a seamless level a la Halo. Sure, the load times are pretty quick but I would've hoped that installing each act could cut down on the partitioning of the worlds into little sections (especially for the on-rails parts, wtf).

Having to install shit on the PS3 in general is my biggest pet peeve though...When I've downloaded a demo (precious few that there are) or update and then have to sit through an installation to boot, during which you can't navigate to anything else, I have to wonder why it's set up that way. I guess I could always spoon-feed my kid some Doxidan in hopes that a soiled diaper will provide me with a distraction.

BobTheFork said:
I don't think some people are being objective about this. There is going to be a wait for games like this, end of story. The question is how do you want that wait? A 23 minute 10 gig install? A 5 gig rolling install with minimal loading (vary minimal in MGS4: 3-4 seconds), or a 5 gig with no Act loading and longer loading screens.

No matter which of these three it would be, people would be bitching about 'install time too long', 'install size too big', or 'scene-to-scene loading too long'. As we stand in console gaming, there is no perfect solution and I think some people are trying to argue this against some Utopian scenario.

Personally I think they found the best possible solution they could. They do the largest install first, and only once. The largest install time after that is 3 minutes (then 2, then 1). The loading from scene to scene is only a few second and it keeps the game play moving.The only place where the MGS4 fails is if for some reason (which I have) needed to load different saves on different acts.

Lastly I'll point out that at this time, MGS4 is the only console game of this size, and the only to have this strange kind of install, so I wouldn't call it a trend just yet.

I got a 20 gig unit, but I spent the 'saved' 100 bucks on a 100 gig HDD. At this point, its cheap enough that I think 20 gig owners should look to upgrade. How many of us are there any way?
well, replacing a HDD is easy enough, when it comes to the average NeoGAF user, but when we're talking about the average person that uses composite cables on their HDTV, it's a whole new ballgame.

and when the first few games with 5GB HDD installs appeared, people said the same thing about it not being a trend...

karasu

These complaints are as baffling to me as the complaints about MGS3's menus were. Find a real problem. Jesus.

Top Bottom