• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM August 2008 Reviews and Rumors

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Have you guys probably thought that there might be no special character in SC4 for either console! It's a rumor! We would of seen something by now since the game is releasing in a 1month!

xero273 said:
Ryu from NG

or

Master Chief :D

I would be really surprised if Ryu is in Soul Calibur. Then again, this could be an act of friendship between Tecmo and Namco now that Itagaki is gone. Master Chief would be about as stupid as the spartan from DoA4. Maybe that Ninja Blade game or whatever it was called could have the main character unveiled in SC4.

Elbrain said:
Have you guys probably thought that there might be no special character in SC4 for either console! It's a rumor! We would of seen something by now since the game is releasing in a 1month!

Announce it at E3 after the GOW3 trailer, get people hyped to play as Kratos in the upcoming weeks instead of waiting another year.

makes sense to me.

Clinton514 said:
Features and Previews:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Anything new?
Clinton514 said:
Quartermann(rumors) says:
-God of Soul. Kratos to be revealed as next Soulcalibur IV(PS3) character.
Damn that's awesome. I still don't have my PS3, but this is making me buy it sooner than planned. Well, it all depends on the other guest character the 360 version has.

Potential guest characters:
+Ryu Hayabusa (DOA is dead, Team Ninja is no more)
+Marcus Phoenix (lancer+chainsaw)
+Baldur (Too Human)
+Master Chief/The Arbiter (Energy Sword)
+Altaïr
Clinton514 said:
Next Issue Cover Story: Bayonetta
Reviews: Soulcalibur IV, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Mercenaries 2, World in Flames
Wow those are some important reviews :D Glad to see BIA is really coming out

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Is it possible that Atlus told them not to talk about Persona 4 since they want to announce it themselves at that Anime Convention that will happen soon?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Soul Calibur IV will be out in a month. I'd imagine all development-- well, all 3d modeling-- is either wrapping up or done. Any negotiations for Ryu would have occurred while Itagaki was still there.

Kratos in SCIV would be awesome. I hope there is some truth to that rumor. SCIV becomes mine the day Kratos is announced as a guest character. Also excited to see more of Bayonetta in the next issue.

Y2Kev said:
Soul Calibur IV will be out in a month. I'd imagine all development-- well, all 3d modeling-- is either wrapping up or done. Any negotiations for Ryu would have occurred while Itagaki was still there.

Meaning the chances of Ryu are slim.

The guy from Too Human won't be bad. Or maybe the main character from Lost Odyssey.

Onix said:
Look like we may actually see a BD version of the 360 :p

I figure they are talking about hard drives and such. I seriously doubt they will farm out console production a la 3DO.

So, cheaper HDDs from Pelican, etc?

joesmokey

Xater said:
Maybe it will be shown together with the GOW3 annoncement at E3? Kinda makes sense to me.
Wouldn't it be funny if Sony started their conference on a close-up of a highly detailed Kratos model and everyone gets insanely excited, only to find out it's the model used for SCIV?

Peru

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccck Top Spin 3. I want that game so badly, I'm going to shit bricks if it really isn't all that. "Ruthless controls", I don't know what that means though.. if they're hard - good, if they're crap - bad.

Linkzg said:
Master Chief would be about as stupid as the spartan from DoA4.

I don't think it's any stupider than Vader. Be that as it may, it would be cooler to feature the Arbiter with his Covenant Laser Sword thing.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Peru said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccck Top Spin 3. I want that game so badly, I'm going to shit bricks if it really isn't all that. "Ruthless controls", I don't know what that means though.. if they're hard - good, if they're crap - bad.

Top Spin 3 is being fashioned as a sim. The EGM people presumably wanted Virtua Tennis controls but got their asses handed to them in a realistic game.

Teknoman

ivysaur12 said:
Great scores for MSG4.

And wow at Final Fantasy Fables. I guess I'll be picking that up.

Seriously, nice on both that and FFIV. Didnt think reviewers would be that receptive to it.

Peru

Agent Icebeezy said:
Top Spin 3 is being fashioned as a sim. The EGM people presumably wanted Virtua Tennis controls but got their asses handed to them in a realistic game.
I really hope so. I like a lot of the Ziff Davis writers, but they've had a tendency to underate games which bring the hardcore to the casual genres (F-Zero GX being the classic example). I'm ready to spend the time perfecting my skills with the new controls if they pay back in the end.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The 360 equivalent to Kratos for SC4 will be a giant Achievement Pop-up you can control.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Rapping Granny said:
Announce it at E3 after the GOW3 trailer, get people hyped to play as Kratos in the upcoming weeks instead of waiting another year.

makes sense to me.

If they do like that then it would be epic!

GhaleonQ

Peru said:
I really hope so. I like a lot of the Ziff Davis writers, but they've had a tendency to underate games which bring the hardcore to the casual genres (F-Zero GX being the classic example). I'm ready to spend the time perfecting my skills with the new controls if they pay back in the end.

The coverage surrounding it leads me to believe that it's not the case this time, unfortunately.

Also, boo, Kratos.

Peru

GhaleonQ said:
The coverage surrounding it leads me to believe that it's not the case this time, unfortunately.

Also, boo, Kratos.
Well I've read some very positive reviews now, plus this is the conclusion from Ryan Scott on the 1up review:

It's a bit of an awkward comparison, but I see shades of Ninja Gaiden here: It's unassailably gratifying when the mechanics finally click and you start slicing and volleying your way to victory, but at the same time, it's prohibitive to folks who don't want to spend hours in the school of hard knocks, pursuing what should be a relatively uncomplicated act of learning the game's basic rules and logic. Top Spin 3 eschews difficulty curves in favor of a difficulty mountain...and if you're serious about your tennis, it's going to (eventually) reward you. But if you're the pick-up-and-play type, just stick to Virtua Tennis 3.

I think this is one the cases were assigning scores is very problematic. He basically says that for those who want to invest time and learn the game, it's going to be great. But for the rest, go play Virtua Tennis 3. And then gives it a C, taking the latter stance. That sounds perfect for me, and everything in his review makes me believe it will be my favorite tennis game.

harSon

Banned
Guy Legend said:
Probably $50 on both systems.

I really doubt the Playstation 3 has a price cut at all, they're quite far from making a profit per console and lowering the price point is only going to make things worst...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Interesting to see the Chocobo scores... seems a lot of reviewers are starting to turn around on their opinion of roguelikes... not into the genre at all but it beats seeing low scores across the board from people who don't "get" the games.

MoxManiac

djtiesto said:
Interesting to see the Chocobo scores... seems a lot of reviewers are starting to turn around on their opinion of roguelikes... not into the genre at all but it beats seeing low scores across the board from people who don't "get" the games.

I think the market itself is starting to turn around on them..there have been a ton lately (mostly on DS)

Struct09

MiamiWesker said:
Shane should have been on the review crew for MGS4.

That would have caused many people to put on their tinfoil hats since he was one of the journalists who was given the special Konami treatment earlier this year.

Dear OP:

Can you please,
please
please post the tidbits from the Spectral Force review, and double-check that the score is a B -?

I mean, HOLY CRAP. Idea Factory game = B - ? :D

Mindlog

Agent Icebeezy said:
I'd sell my current wheel in a heartbeat.

Yup.

I'm betting the market would be flooded with them :lol I'd probably just give mine away to a nephew or something.

MS's peripheral nonsense is MY biggest complaint with the system. I'd love a Logitech wheel for Forza 3 etc.

Nif

FateBreaker said:
Dear OP:

Can you please,
please
please post the tidbits from the Spectral Force review, and double-check that the score is a B -?

I mean, HOLY CRAP. Idea Factory game = B - ? :D

Seconded. Also, who reviewed it?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
-God of Soul. Kratos to be revealed as next Soulcalibur IV(PS3) character.

bang.gif
It's about time!!!!!! Soul Calibur IV 4 the WIN!

Top Bottom