• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 now up on WiiWare (67blocks)/PSN(Now)/XBLA(10/1). ProtoM DLC $2 next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

meppi

Holy fucking crap! :-O

8-bit graphics
8-bit music
8-bit cut scenes
and 8-bit rain effects!

I'm already in love. This is going to be so great! :D

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Loosely related celebration of Megamanness

1155240114110.jpg

lp_mm2.jpg

Where's my Dead Rising 2 Capcom?

RagnarokX said:
Nice!

I wonder if Bass will be in this game... 8-bit Bass lol.

I just did a google search for 8-bit bass, and ones somebody made on the first link actually looked pretty good.

edit: I guess that was a sprite from the neogeo pocket megaman game. anyways, that 8-bit bass looked good, and I hope he's in 9.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
- Dr. Wily returns
- Story: Dr. Wily blames Dr. Light for robot master attacks
- various level hazards: lava, gravity-defying magnetic platforms, Mega Man clones
- attacks gained from Robot Masters: Galaxy Man’s Black Hole Bombs
- development handled by Inti Creates (Mega Man Zero, ZX, Battle Chip Challenge)
- controls: Wiimote NES style, just as you would expect it to be
- Rush returns
- 8-bit style was chosen to ‘please fans’
- 8-bit music
- 8-bit cut-scenes
- difficultly on-par with NES games
- return of classic enemies, as well as new ones
- Will Protoman be playable? “you’ll have to wait and see.”
- hopes in surpassing the quality of Mega Man 2

Stumpokapow said:
"hey guys i don't sell drugs but if you need to know where to buy them i can hook you up"

seriously?

I've made that post before. If the bar for a scan-caused ban has been lowered in the last day or so, I'll edit it out.

Extollere said:
- Dr. Wily returns
- Story: Dr. Wily blames Dr. Light for robot master attacks
- various level hazards: lava, gravity-defying magnetic platforms, Mega Man clones
- attacks gained from Robot Masters: Galaxy Man’s Black Hole Bombs
- development handled by Inti Creates (Mega Man Zero, ZX, Battle Chip Challenge)
- controls: Wiimote NES style, just as you would expect it to be
- Rush returns
- 8-bit music
- 8-bit cut-scenes
- difficultly on-par with NES games
- return of classic enemies, as well as new ones
- Will Protoman be playable? “you’ll have to wait and see.”
- hopes in surpassing the quality of Mega Man 2

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yeeeessssss!!

Choke on the Magic said:
Either you mean they're already available and I'm just dumb, or I just fail to get the joke.
Either way. :(
I just misunderstood your concern. Rather than asking when they'd be available for download, I thought you were worried about some sort of retconning or ignoring of them since they're going back to the ways of the early days for this one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol the one time we don't buy into Nintendo Power's teaser, this happens. :lol :lol

It's awesome it's coming to WiiWare in so many ways. First it's motherfucking main Megaman after more than a decade with old-school graphics. Second it rockets Capcom ahead as the best 3rd-party Wii developer (I'd have given Sega that before). Third, if WiiWare wasn't competitive with the other services before, it sure as hell is now.

However, personally I would have prefered 16-bit sprites and anything-but-8-bit audio, but as long as the gameplay's great I won't care.

Now Capcom, how's about that Megaman X? :p

GrayFoxPL

Would like this to be on PSN too.

Lack of platformers is as retarded as the amount of twin stick top down shooters.

Extollere said:
I'm most curious about who decided this really. I think it's cool they're doing it in 2D, and I like the sound of it.
But it makes me wonder if this was a decision by the art director or not, especially how they're putting emphasis on pleasing fans.

It must be a tough line to draw between having a creative vision that is your own for a game and pleasing the fans. Either way there's a ton of potential with an 8 bit style to do some crazy stuff the processors back then couldn't handle.

rhino4evr

dyls said:
This is one of those threads where you can instantly tell the age of everyone that posts in it.

ha ha this is so true. I remember when I came home from Lionel Playworld with MM2, and was in shear amazement from the graphics and sound. I think I played Air Man's stage first. Still my favorite MM to date. I played up til X-2 on the SNES and then lost interest.

Olaeh

This will make it hard for those who boycott Wiiware and VC.

Day 1. Going back to old school is the best thing that could've happened to the franchise.

8bit must have be chosen to please the Japanese fans. They're very fond of the NES days, while we occidentals would have certainly preferred 16-32 bits 2D visuals.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
See, the reactions to this news is making me sad, from all corners. From those unleashing their hatred of every other Mega Man style except for this one, to those who think 1080p HD technology really makes a significant difference when it comes to displaying NES sprites. Not to mention those languishing in the fact that this particular topic talks about the WiiWare version and wrongly flinging feces that it's not coming to their console of choice (assuming that it's actually not exclusive and that everyone gets a slice of the action, which is very likely.) Oh, and the people saying 8-bit sucks as well.

Can't we all, y'know, be happy there is a new original series Mega Man?

Stop the hate, man.

rhino4evr

So I was just looking up Mega Man 2 on Wikipedia and was appalled by the incorrect boss weakness chart. Im who doesn't know you use Time Stopper on Quick Man, and Atomic Fire on Wood Man!!!!

# Robot Master Weapon Weakness
09 Metal Man Metal Blade Metal Blade
10 Air Man Air Shooter Leaf Shield
11 Bubble Man Bubble Lead Metal Blade
12 Quick Man Quick Boomerang Crash Bomb
13 Crash Man Crash Bomb Air Shooter
14 Flash Man Time Stopper Metal Blade
15 Heat Man Atomic Fire Bubble Lead
16 Wood Man Leaf Shield Metal Blade

HUELEN10

Olaeh said:
This will make it hard for those who boycott Wiiware and VC.
Not really. I am boycotting it, and I knew stuff I wanted would come out. I stand by my boycott, and others do to. I will spend no money on anything on the shop channel until a storage solution comes out. When you are rooted, it is not that hard.

Visualante said:
I'm most curious about who decided this really. I think it's cool they're doing it in 2D, and I like the sound of it.
But it makes me wonder if this was a decision by the art director or not, especially how they're putting emphasis on pleasing fans.

It must be a tough line to draw between having a creative vision that is your own for a game and pleasing the fans. Either way there's a ton of potential with an 8 bit style to do some crazy stuff the processors back then couldn't handle.
There's a good chance that fans of the style are on staff.

Hell, look at Mega Man a. Who else would it be there to please?

ZeoVGM

Banned
RockmanWhore said:
8bit must have be chosen to please the Japanese fans. They're very fond of the NES days, while we occidentals would have certainly preferred 16-32 bits 2D visuals.

What? No, we wouldn't. Most American fans are happy with this too.

The fact is that the gameplay, while still great, felt different in MM7 and 8. There's just something about the NES games that feels unique and amazing to this day.

You'll have a small group of people bitching for 16-32 bit visuals, but that would be silly. It's either go completely old school or completely new school. Doing something in between would look dumb.

Enk

makes good threads.
Possibly the coolest news I've heard all decade. Capcom has really mastered the art of giving good foreplay to their fans. So will the game be complete with the standard Mega Man NES slowdown too?

rhino4evr said:
ha ha this is so true. I remember when I came home from Lionel Playworld with MM2, and was in shear amazement from the graphics and sound. I think I played Air Man's stage first. Still my favorite MM to date. I played up til X-2 on the SNES and then lost interest.

Heh, and I remember harrassing Toys R Us with phone calls the entire month MM2 was supposed to come out. God, I must have been so annoying.

I'm sorry, Bay Shore Long Island TRU cashiers from 1989!

duckroll said:
"Mega Man fans give Mega Man 2 the most praise, and we wanted to surpass that. "

I didn't know what to think after I saw the 8-bit style graphics. I always preferred the NES games anyway, but still.

Then I read this quote and got excited. MM2 was/is one of the best 2D platformers of all time, IMO and it had a style that never seemed to gel as well in the games afterwards. If they can make an 8-bit'ish game that looks, feels, and SOUNDS like a true sequel to MM2 then I will be extremely happy with this.

lopaz

Banned
omg rite said:
You'll have a small group of people bitching for 16-32 bit visuals, but that would be silly. It's either go completely old school or completely new school. Doing something in between would look dumb.

Bah. Contra 4 went 16 bit. It's rad.

lopaz said:
Bah. Contra 4 went 16 bit. It's rad.
Contra 4 was a full retail game that also failed at said retail.

I'm willing to bet that taking people who make profitable games and having them work on another game is not an easy sell with "You know, this will take some time and probably not make you much money, but some fans will like it better than 8-bit graphics that probably won't take as long. :D"

It's like you people don't even remember how burned Capcom was off MMPU and MHX.

Teknoman

So no one is going to start a "GAF plays MM 1-6 in honor of MM9 finally being released and being done 8-bit style" topic?

Jammy

Banned
Day one on WiiWare! :D

I can see why people want this on XBLA and PSN, but why would you want to play this game in HD with a four button controller? If you're going old school with the game, might as go all the way and play with the Wii Remote horizontally.

The whole 8-bit thing is a bit lame, especially when MM7 and MM8 both looked great, so it doesn't make sense to go back down. Wario Land looks amazing, they should have gone with something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom