• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker(R&D on a Prototype since FF7)

duckroll

xs_mini_neo said:
Don't worry they'll port it to the PS2 and PSP so you can play it.

Lame trolls aside, if whatever this is appears after DQX it will do better than LO and BD, easily.

That's..... quite an assumption you have there. You think any new IP RPG on the Wii will "easily" do over 200k just because DQX is out? I mean, look at the sales for Mistwalker's DS games! :lol

duckroll said:
That's..... quite an assumption you have there. You think any new IP RPG on the Wii will "easily" do over 200k just because DQX is out? I mean, look at the sales for Mistwalker's DS games! :lol

If MW games can sell decent in Japan on the 360, than so can what I claimed. Also, Wasn't BD DS another shitty RTS game? Nobody wants RTS games. Just like nobody wanted all those Card RPGs last gen. BK being the only good one, but still most people didn't want it. Let's see how a BD RPG does on DS before cheer leading MW's level of suck.

duckroll

xs_mini_neo said:
If MW games can sell decent in Japan on the 360, than so can what I claimed. Also, Wasn't BD DS another shitty RTS game? Nobody wants RTS games. Just like nobody wanted all those Card RPGs last gen. BK being the only good one, but still most people didn't want it. Let's see how a BD RPG does on DS before cheer leading MW's level of suck.

They've released 3 DS games so far.

ASH - SRPG - Published by Nintendo - 100k sold out of a 200k shipment. Price collapsed.
BD+ - RTS - Published by AQ - 30k or something shit like that.
Away - ARPG - Published by AQ - 6k lolz.

Are you going to say that no one wants SRPGs or ARPGs too? Blue Dragon sold over 200k in Japan because it's got tons of marketing, it had Toriyama doing the designs, and it's a huge effort. Mistwalker is pretty much hit or miss in terms of design, and I don't think they're a brand name that most gamers even care about. How well a game sells will depend mostly on the publisher and how they market the game. To assume that any Wii game they release will automatically have the production values and attraction of Blue Dragon and will hence outsell it, is just hilariously naive.

Eteric Rice

duckroll said:

I think what he's trying to say is that DQX will likely bring the RPG fanbase to the Wii. If they release it not longer after DQX, it can ride on that wave of people. After all, they'll probably be done playing X and want to play something else.

Fanbases are weird like that. I think it happened with FFIII was released on the DS as well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So what, if this game comes out in 2012 it might do well?

duckroll

Eteric Rice said:
I think what he's trying to say is that DQX will likely bring the RPG fanbase to the Wii. If they release it not longer after DQX, it can ride on that wave of people. After all, they'll probably be done playing X and want to play something else.

Fanbases are weird like that. I think it happened with FFIII was released on the DS as well.

So how many new IP RPGs on the DS released after FFIII easily sold over 200k?

duckroll said:
They've released 3 DS games so far.

ASH - SRPG - Published by Nintendo - 100k sold out of a 200k shipment. Price collapsed.
BD+ - RTS - Published by AQ - 30k or something shit like that.
Away - ARPG - Published by AQ - 6k lolz.

Are you going to say that no one wants SRPGs or ARPGs too? Blue Dragon sold over 200k in Japan because it's got tons of marketing, it had Toriyama doing the designs, and it's a huge effort. Mistwalker is pretty much hit or miss in terms of design, and I don't think they're a brand name that most gamers even care about. How well a game sells will depend mostly on the publisher and how they market the game. To assume that any Wii game they release will automatically have the production values and attraction of Blue Dragon and will hence outsell it, is just hilariously naive.

Are you going to ignore the context again? I said after DQX is released on Wii. The assumption here is this will be an RPG. Were ASH and Away even advertised? I did not know Away even existed. ASH wasn't advertised either. You cannot compare the DS and the Wii fairly. The Wii barely has any RPGs, so DQX release will bring in a lot of RPG fans who could easily pick up a good MW RPG, assuming it isn't some kind of messed up hybrid like RTS and/or undershipped/not advertised like ASH and Away. And nowhere did I say it would have BD production values. A good RPG that people know exists could easily sell well after DQX finally hits the Wii. Hate MW all you want, but at least they are trying...unlike the joke that is modern day Square.

schuelma

Eteric Rice said:
*shrugs*

Depends on how long they've been working on X I guess.

I don't see any real conceivable way it comes out in 2010, unless Nintendo has been co-developing or something. It's possible I guess, but I'd be shocked if SE stacks back to back fiscal years with DQ main games.

duckroll

xs_mini_neo said:
Are you going to ignore the context again? I said after DQX is released on Wii. The assumption here is this will be an RPG. Were ASH and Away even advertised? I did not know Away even existed. ASH wasn't advertised either. You cannot compare the DS and the Wii fairly. The Wii barely has any RPGs, so DQX release will bring in a lot of RPG fans who could easily pick up a good MW RPG, assuming it isn't some kind of messed up hybrid like RTS and/or undershipped/not advertised like ASH and Away. And nowhere did I say it would have BD production values. A good RPG that people know exists could easily sell well after DQX finally hits the Wii. Hate MW all you want, but at least they are trying...unlike the joke that is modern day Square.

You're making a lot of assumptions here.... :lol

duckroll

xs_mini_neo said:
Nothing unreasonable.

You make it sound like MW will make a FPS or something.

No that's not what I meant, but I don't think I'll bother explaining since you don't seem to understand very well. :)

Deku

Banned
I really don't know to what extent DQX is going to change the landscape. It's being released on the Wii because that's the console with the broadest reach.

You have to remember a lot people who will buy DQX and DIX for that matter will be adults, who don't go out and buy a lot of new games, let alone RPGs anymore buy will buy the new DQ because its DQ.

I also find the whole blue dragon debate silly. It's almost as bad as lance stern's arbitrary cut offs on what constitutes a success. For the amount of marketing and the names involved, that game should have been a million seller in Japan. I'm sure even MMV could sell 200k of every game they make if they had free money to spend on marketing, but that goes back to the whole unsustainablility of what's going on. It's just one company going around throwing money to enter a market, it won't last.

duckroll

Deku said:
I really don't know to what extent DQX is going to change the landscape. It's being released on the Wii because that's the console with the broadest reach.

You have to remember a lot people who will buy DQX and DIX for that matter will be adults, who don't go out and buy a lot of new games, let alone RPGs anymore buy will buy the new DQ because its DQ.

I also find the whole blue dragon debate silly. It's almost as bad as lance stern's arbitrary cut offs on what constitutes a success. For the amount of marketing and the names involved, that game should have been a million seller. I'm sure even MMV could sell 200k of every game they make if they had free money to spend on marketing, but that goes back to the whole unsustainablility of what's going on. It's just one company going around throwing money to enter a market, it won't last.

Yet from what we've seen so far, throwing money is the ONLY way Mistwalker ever tasted success. So in effect, if not for Microsoft, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. :p

My point is that MW is not a proven brand name, and they've released 5 games so far, 3 of which bombed. They had another 360 game in development which got CANNED. We're not exactly talking about a very successful and reputable design studio here.

schuelma

Deku said:

I think the way it can conceivably change the landscape is by SE building up the market like they did with DS in anticipation for DQX which in turn leads to a healthier RPG market, etc. That's the theory anyways.

duckroll said:
No that's not what I meant, but I don't think I'll bother explaining since you don't seem to understand very well. :)

You didn't understand what I originally meant either, so I guess it is fitting...or ironic.

duckroll said:
We're not exactly talking about a very successful and reputable design studio here.

Neither was Square in the 80's until they gave it one last shot with FF.

But what you are referring to is more a problem with the audience in Japan than MW's efforts. They had a rocky start by debuting on the 360 instead of the PS2-3 or Wii/DS. They did help bring in an audience for JRPGs on the 360 that other RPGs benefited from.

duckroll

xs_mini_neo said:
You didn't understand what I originally meant either, so I guess it is fitting...or ironic.

I don't think you realize how hard it is to even ship 200k units of a game in Japan these days. :p

Alex

I think it's probably pretty easy, all you should have to do is commission a high school level artist who freelances for Hallmark or a childrens toy company and run half of your game design doc through a paper shredder.

duckroll

xs_mini_neo said:
Then why criticize any non-Square/Enix company for not setting the charts on fire?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just telling you how inaccurate your assumption is that any RPG would magically sell over 200k in Japan just because DQX is out. :p

duckroll said:
I'm not criticizing, I'm just telling you how inaccurate your assumption is that any RPG would magically sell over 200k in Japan just because DQX is out. :p

The future is not written in stone. So there is no reason to immediately assume it is inaccurate.

Eteric Rice

Deku said:

From what I've heard, everyone buys Dragon Quest, not just the adults.

The adults are the bonus, though.

schuelma said:
I don't see any real conceivable way it comes out in 2010, unless Nintendo has been co-developing or something. It's possible I guess, but I'd be shocked if SE stacks back to back fiscal years with DQ main games.

Didn't they say they were helping with it's development or something? I'm not sure.

jesusraz

duckroll said:
I don't think you realize how hard it is to even ship 200k units of a game in Japan these days. :p
I have a feeling the new Blue Dragon on DS (the one overseen by BanNam's Hideo Baba) will crack 200,000. Just a hunch :)

duckroll

jesusraz said:
I have a feeling the new Blue Dragon on DS (the one overseen by BanNam's Hideo Baba) will crack 200,000. Just a hunch :)

It's coming out in October, so if they want it to sell, they should start promoting it soon. If they don't, well, then it's not going to sell!

Eteric Rice

jesusraz said:

Ehh, the last one on the DS didn't do to well if I remember correctly.

duckroll

Eteric Rice said:

Well, this one is published by Namco, so it should have a marketing budget of more than 10 bucks. It's also a multiplayer action RPG, with DQIX style customization. There's good reason to believe that if the DQIX customization and multiplayer catches on, and Namco promotes it right, it could ride the success very well. Of course Scamco being Scamco.... who knows.

schuelma

Eteric Rice said:
Didn't they say they were helping with it's development or something? I'm not sure.

Don't believe so. I think Nintendo merely said they wanted to help SE market the franchise more towards the West.

Eteric Rice

duckroll said:
Well, this one is published by Namco, so it should have a marketing budget of more than 10 bucks. It's also a multiplayer action RPG, with DQIX style customization. There's good reason to believe that if the DQIX customization and multiplayer catches on, and Namco promotes it right, it could ride the success very well. Of course Scamco being Scamco.... who knows.

*shrugs* Maybe.

I am glad Japan is finally getting around to character customization. I wonder if different armor will show as well (when you equip it).

If so, bought.

jesusraz

Eteric Rice said:
That wasn't published by a company as large as BanNam, wasn't given as big a push as the 360 game, plus received a lukewarm reception from gamers and media.

duckroll said:
It's coming out in October, so if they want it to sell, they should start promoting it soon. If they don't, well, then it's not going to sell!
Didn't Dragon Ball Kai kind of pop up out of nowhere and then land at retail soon after? There's plenty of time for hype to be built up...

I've been told I can do an interview for the game, but due to the lack of information (as you rightly point out) I'm a little unsure what exactly to ask, other than the usual fluff Qs :-/

duckroll

Eteric Rice said:
*shrugs* Maybe.

I am glad Japan is finally getting around to character customization. I wonder if different armor will show as well (when you equip it).

If so, bought.

Well, it sounds like you haven't been keeping up. The new BD on DS is basically what DQIX was originally announced as. All equipment are visible, you run around on open fields and stuff, and it supports multiplayer. They've shown tons of different armor and weapon pieces, including animal costumes and stuff. The character creation is pretty expansive too, and they've shown Goku being created with it too.

jesusraz said:
Didn't Dragon Ball Kai kind of pop up out of nowhere and then land at retail soon after? There's plenty of time for hype to be built up...

I've been told I can do an interview for the game, but due to the lack of information (as you rightly point out) I'm a little unsure what exactly to ask, other than the usual fluff Qs :-/

DB Kai had the benefit of the new reairing of the TV show though. It was always meant to be sort of a tie-in cross promotion thing, and it has worked out really well. There really isn't any major BD stuff going on at the moment, so maybe they're really just going to use DQIX to piggyback. It could work.

If you need questions you can start with asking who the hell is actually developing this game. Lol.

Eteric Rice

duckroll said:
Well, it sounds like you haven't been keeping up. The new BD on DS is basically what DQIX was originally announced as. All equipment are visible, you run around on open fields and stuff, and it supports multiplayer. They've shown tons of different armor and weapon pieces, including animal costumes and stuff. The character creation is pretty expansive too, and they've shown Goku being created with it too.

DB Kai had the benefit of the new reairing of the TV show though. It was always meant to be sort of a tie-in cross promotion thing, and it has worked out really well. There really isn't any major BD stuff going on at the moment, so maybe they're really just going to use DQIX to piggyback. It could work.

If you need questions you can start with asking who the hell is actually developing this game. Lol.

While I didn't care much for the original Blue Dragon, you now have my attention.

duckroll said:
Whoa, this is the first I've heard of it :eek:
I fall under the first sentence :p

I swear if there were a sushi named after you, I'd eat you all day long :)

duckroll

Blue Dragon 2 will have to wait for more moneyhats. Since Deku has voted against the moneyhats, I don't think we'll be seeing it anytime soon!

Sydle

Eteric Rice said:
Have they even said anything about a Blue Dragon 2 yet? I can't see how they could be working on it when they're doing a new project right now.

Last I read, Sakaguchi confirmed Blue Dragon 2 was in the planning stages in 2007, and that he was keen on the idea of making it an online RPG. Just wondering if anyone here knew if it had been canned, or perhaps it became the DS game.

jesusraz

duckroll said:

Fair point about DB Kai - it was just a random example that popped into my head. I'm rooting for Mistwalker, that's all. ASH wasn't perfect, but I had fun grinding my way through it, AWAY was a great little title and my love of Heroes of Mana helped me get through Blue Dragon Plus. Throw in how much I enjoyed the last two DS Tales games and my hopes are high for this new BD (what does its name roughly translate as?).

Watching that trailer it really looks like a Matrix engine at work, but it could just be the Baba-san and the Tales Studio. Strange how it's not listed anywhere.

jesusraz said:
Fair point about DB Kai - it was just a random example that popped into my head. I'm rooting for Mistwalker, that's all. ASH wasn't perfect, but I had fun grinding my way through it, AWAY was a great little title and my love of Heroes of Mana helped me get through Blue Dragon Plus. Throw in how much I enjoyed the last two DS Tales games and my hopes are high for this new BD (what does its name roughly translate as?).

Watching that trailer it really looks like a Matrix engine at work, but it could just be the Baba-san and the Tales Studio. Strange how it's not listed anywhere.

Great Beast of the Underworld says Wikipedia.

duckroll

jesusraz said:

I enjoyed ASH and Away, I refuse to touch BD+ because I don't like how HoM and FFXIIRW play at all. The new BD game's subtitle is something like "Behemoth/Great Beast of the Otherworld" but it's unclear if it refers to a single beast or a group of them.

It's not that strange honestly. No one knew that ASH was developed by errr.... whoever it was developed by until the game came out. I forgot the name of the shitty developer. :/

duckroll said:
I enjoyed ASH and Away, I refuse to touch BD+ because I don't like how HoM and FFXIIRW play at all. The new BD game's subtitle is something like "Behemoth/Great Beast of the Otherworld" but it's unclear if it refers to a single beast or a group of them.

It's not that strange honestly. No one knew that ASH was developed by errr.... whoever it was developed by until the game came out. I forgot the name of the shitty developer. :/

Racjin did ASH.

Edit: Whoops. :p

Anyway, I'm deinitely looking forward to see what Mistwalker can do on the Wii, they wouldn't have a debug kit or whatever if they weren't cooking up something.

Don't know which of the Mistwalker Foursome (my title for the group of Artoon, Cavia, Feelplus, and Racjin) would be the best.

Artoon's got amazing art direction, but pretty bad in gameplay.

Racjin's not doing that much, last I saw they did Bomberman Land and the first M&S, they might be doing Winter Olympics though, not sure.

Feelplus is finishing up JU-ON, they might have the biggest potential, their games are probably the best of the group aren't they?

Cavia has the most Wii-experience by, having made the RE Chronicles series, Victorious Boxers, and some others I think...

duckroll

Aeana said:

Oh right, thanks. I guess they didn't want to go "From the developers who made a bunch of licensed action RPGs for S-E, and a Submarine action game for Irem."

I actually liked Underwater Unit!

Eteric Rice said:
I guess not.

I dunno, maybe they're alright with them making DS versions. They let Rare do DS games.
We know that MS owns the copyrights to the title though... So its probably the latter.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
I doubt they'll put much into it or Summon Night X the month after, and they're both launching at Scamco's premium pricing for DS games. They're putting Blue Dragon up against Inazuma Eleven 2 as well... :\

bloke

Interesting bit from 2ch's Mistwalker thread ...basically one of the programers at Artoon (Takuto Nakamura?) mentions how he is working on a new RPG for nextgen console as a lead programer, says he worked on Blue Dragon before that.

http://job.mynavi.jp/10/pc/search/corp78189/obob7/obog.html

That's from AQI promotional job hunting page at mynavi.jp, guess they asked couple of employees to say some stuff about how's like working there, and the guy spill some beans like that.

Eteric Rice

bloke said:
Interesting bit from 2ch's Mistwalker thread ...basically one of the programers at Artoon (Takuto Nakamura?) mentions how he is working on a new RPG for nextgen console as a lead programer, says he worked on Blue Dragon before that.

http://job.mynavi.jp/10/pc/search/corp78189/obob7/obog.html

That's from AQI promotional job hunting page at mynavi.jp, guess they asked couple of employees to say some stuff about how's like working there, and the guy spill some beans like that.

I guess it depends on how they define "next-gen" then.

Well actually, the one in the OP sounds like Mistwalker is doing it internally. I could be wrong, though.

Top Bottom