• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

pswii60
(06-29-2009, 10:04 PM)

Originally Posted by MoogPaul

Good, artoon games are beautiful

Blue Dragon was gorgeous. Shame we haven't seen anything come out of that engine since :/
Pennywise
(08-01-2009, 02:05 AM)
好きなことで
ゲームづくり  2009.7.31

「好きなことで飯をくう」というのは、人生をエネルギッシュに生きるためには、かなり重要なことだと思う。偶然の積み重ねでゲームづくりを職業にできた自分は、 そういった意味では幸せものだ。導いてくれた先人や、支えてくれた人、そしてなによりプレイしてくれる人に本当に感謝している。

「好きなこと」なので、もちろんやっていて楽しいし、自然体で集中することができる。
でも、ちょっと待ってほしい。
実は「好きなことで飯をくう」のは苦しいことなのだ。仕事にするということは、プロになるということで、それは楽しみを「楽しませる」という行為にすげ替えるこ とでもある。自分の好きなものを、人を喜ばせるために、本来は必要のない追求で昇華させなくてはならないのだ。特にゲームは、それがエンターテイメントであるか ら、よりその要素が色濃い。

だが、どうも、僕は「かなり楽しんでやっている」ようにみえるらしい。苦労しているようには見えないらしいのだ。
なんだかちょっと悔しいな・・・本当はこんなに悩み苦しんでるのに(^^ゞ
でもきっと、「苦しくみえる」ようだったら、つくったものにそれが出てしまうのかもしれない。その意味では「まったく苦しく見えない」のに、奥底では「苦しんで る」のが正解なのかも。
だから、今日も、誰にも知られないように、わざとこっそり悩む・・・
答えはなかなか見つからないし、それによって制作現場に多大な迷惑をかけてしまうのだが、それでも悩むのだ。
紆余曲折の先に光はある。

New Columne by Sakaguchi :x
The google translator spit me something out about Games and Rice :x
Well if anyone is so kind to translate it , please do :P
Since the Mistwalker translation will take ages...
Shadowlink
(08-01-2009, 02:08 AM)
Someone translate please! :D
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(08-01-2009, 02:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Eteric Rice

I guess it depends on how they define "next-gen" then.

Well actually, the one in the OP sounds like Mistwalker is doing it internally. I could be wrong, though.

Does Mistwalker actually have enough employees to do a game internally?

I thought there were like only 5 to 10 of them.
Quazar
(08-04-2009, 02:59 AM)
My Favorite
Making Video Games  2009.7.31

Originally Posted by Sakaguchi

I feel “being paid to do what I enjoy” is very important to life’s energy. I’m fortunate that through a set of coincidences, I was able to land a career in the creation of video games. I truly appreciate the pioneers who led me, the people who supported me, and most of all, the people who play the games.

Making games is my “favorite thing,” so it’s fun and I’m naturally able to concentrate.
But I want you to think about it for a second.
The reality is that “being paid to do what I enjoy” is difficult. In order to make things work, you need to become a professional and change your mentality from having fun to “making fun for people.” You must be more creative than necessary, but it’s in order to make your favorites fun for people. This is an important factor in games, being a form of entertainment.

But some people say I look like I’m “totally enjoying myself” and don’t have any troubles. It’s little frustrating, as I do fall on hard times and have my share of suffering (^^ゞ But if I “show I’m having hardship,” it might translate into what I make. Even if “I’m suffering” deep inside, the right approach may be to look like “I’m not suffering at all.”
So even today, I will purposely hide my troubles in secret…
Though I don’t have the answer, I’m worried my troubles will heavily affect production.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Nobuo Uematsu and Takuya Matsumoto
who shared the joys and sorrows throughout the project.
Despite it looking like we are having fun,
the subject of the conversation was serious.

Yutaka Noma, who also shared joys and sorrows together.
It’s been a while, so we met up again and had drinks.

What's going on Sakaguchi!
Galvanise_
(08-04-2009, 03:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Does Mistwalker actually have enough employees to do a game internally?

I thought there were like only 5 to 10 of them.

They outsource a heck of a lot.
bloke
(08-04-2009, 03:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Quazar

Nobuo Uematsu and Takuya Matsumoto
who shared the joys and sorrows throughout the project.
Despite it looking like we are having fun,
the subject of the conversation was serious.

Yutaka Noma, who also shared joys and sorrows together.
It’s been a while, so we met up again and had drinks.

What's going on Sakaguchi!

Well that pretty much confirms MW is working with Artoon on that mystery game of theirs.
Jonnyram
(08-04-2009, 05:17 AM)
That's good news. I guess there is a chance it could be Blue Dragon 2, but I'd be perfectly happy with a new IP too. Hopefully it'll be an RPG, of course.
clashfan
you are not alone
(08-04-2009, 05:23 AM)
I've heard of Nobuo Uematsu but who are the other guys in the photos?
FateBreaker
(08-04-2009, 05:26 AM)
Lost Odyssey II, Blue Dragon II, or a new IP, Sakaguchi. Many win scenarios here, my man.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(08-04-2009, 05:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Jonnyram

That's good news. I guess there is a chance it could be Blue Dragon 2, but I'd be perfectly happy with a new IP too. Hopefully it'll be an RPG, of course.

Considering he says it's been "a while" since he last spoke to Noma, whatever he's been working on is probably not published or produced by Microsoft.
Sleeker
(08-04-2009, 05:35 AM)

Originally Posted by FateBreaker

Lost Odyssey II, Blue Dragon II, or a new IP, Sakaguchi. Many win scenarios here, my man.

yes please
<3 Mistwalker

just release a f**king game already. i'll take anything
Aeana
Medal Princess
(08-04-2009, 05:37 AM)
I just hope that whatever he's working on is actually an RPG. I'm tired of him trying to make different stuff that ends up being bad. Stick to your strengths, okay? :\
ethelred
(08-04-2009, 05:46 AM)
I'd love to see a Blue Dragon 2, or even something else... but like Aeana said, just make it an RPG, please.

Originally Posted by Sleeker

just release a f**king game already. i'll take anything

Best not to say that where Mistwalker's concerned... they actually have been releasing games, just that they're games one would be smart not to take.
duckroll
(08-04-2009, 05:56 AM)

Originally Posted by ethelred

Best not to say that where Mistwalker's concerned... they actually have been releasing games, just that they're games one would be smart not to take.

Hey I liked Away. :(

And I'm buying the new BD DS. :(

Please be good..... :(
bluemax
Banned
(08-04-2009, 06:31 AM)
Does the new BD DS game disregard the story of BD+? The trailer sure made it look that way.

I think the thing I hated the most about BD+ was that the first hour of the game made me feel like everything I had done in BD was a waste :( It made me realize why RPGs shouldn't have direct sequels.
duckroll
(08-04-2009, 06:33 AM)
I don't know. I never played BD+. For all my love for Mistwalker, I still can't bring myself to ever buy a Brownie Brown game. Especially not a RTS.
Quazar
(09-12-2009, 03:39 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

I don't know. I never played BD+. For all my love for Mistwalker, I still can't bring myself to ever buy a Brownie Brown game. Especially not a RTS.

Same :lol :lol

His updates have been pretty blah lately. He's messing with legos again.

Speaking of which, I'm meeting with Kitase who is a director (producer?) of FF for drinks. He's an enthusiastic Star Wars fan way beyond me. We are meeting since the release date of FF13 was decided, and also making a toast in celebration of finishing the milestone, while talking about funny storied related to it. Maybe I will buy one of Star Wars lego sets as a gift for him at the NEW Lego shop, (^ ^ゞ.

Goofy pics

RBH
(09-12-2009, 03:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Quazar

Goofy pics
http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/album/_src/sc950/vivi.jpg
http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/album/...52/kaizoku.jpg

:lol
harSon
(09-12-2009, 04:02 PM)
I hate him so much
∀ Narayan
the carnival of stupid
(09-12-2009, 04:07 PM)

Originally Posted by harSon

I hate him so much

Why?
Misterinenja
(09-12-2009, 04:13 PM)

Originally Posted by U K Narayan

Why?

For playing with Legos instead of showing the new game already I assume.
Cat in the Hat
(09-12-2009, 04:13 PM)

Originally Posted by harSon

I hate him so much

He's so lovable though
Quazar
(09-28-2009, 03:14 PM)

See ya
My Old Colleagues   2009.9.25

I went out for drinks with colleagues from our Square days. They all are independently successful and live their lives to the extreme, such as being a composer, graphic artist, director, etc. It's been a long time, but in their faces I saw a look of brilliance and vitality. It was such a wonderful feeling. Their vigor put me in a really good mood today.

One of them is continously making iPhone applications. Another is flying out to Australia for work first thing in the morning. A couple of them are currently working with me but having a little problem with the schedule. We talked about all kinds of stuff. Of course, we talked about the old days, too.

It really was a fun night, feeling their positive aura, wanting to work with them again..
See ya.

Who's who?
jj984jj
He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
(09-28-2009, 04:08 PM)
Mitsuda and I believe Masato Kato are in the back, Mitsuda is standing next to Sakaguchi and Kato is second from the right.
[Nintex]
Banned
(09-28-2009, 06:57 PM)
I see it now, he's preparing his army!

"A thousand lightning bolts in the sky, my lord!
Is this finally the day?"

"NO!" he said as he stood up from his throne.
"The prophecy is a lie!"
"I won't allow such nonsense!"
"Bring me Nomura san!"

A knight on a white horse stood in front of the gates of Squaresoft.
"I've come to claim what is rightfully mine!"
"We have come to claim what is rightfully ours!"

A hundred knights, some of which he had fired the day before, how was this possible!
"NO!" he said again, "I, Yoichi Wada will not resign!".
"I still hold the key to Matsuno's power, you can do nothing but run like you did all those years ago!"

"But I have returned with the blessing of the sun, thunder and Nippon!"
"The day is ours, your reign is weak!", Sakaguchi was determined to fight.
"NONSENSE" he shouted once more.

A black knight emerged from the shadows.
The zippers the belts it was none other than...
"Nomura San defeat these fools once and for all!", Wada had no intention to give up his kingdom...
"Yes my master!", Nomura stood in front of a crowd of thousands, just one lone warrior left to defend the traitors.

"Your awkward and cringeworthy CG love stories won't save Squaresoft and won't save Nippon!"
"Takeuchi has given the signal, a new lord will arise and I.... I will save Nippon!"

"NEVER!", Wada shouted again, "The Council of Honorable Shareholders hath spoken, I remain the Grandmaster!"
"They are corrupted by the pupils of Yamauchi!", one shouted but Wada did not listen.
"I can defeat all of you!" Nomura said!

The earth shook, time froze, the savior had he arrived too soon? Was Nomura too strong for the ever weakening forces who walked the mist?

"NAY!" a bolt of lightning aimed at Sakaguchi reflected from ones sunglasses.
"Mikami san?... how?", Takeuchi who had rushed to the scene couldn't believe what he saw.
"Return to your exile, or face the punishment of a thousand ports!"
Just when Takeuchi wanted to deliver the final blow to his rival a ray of sun light reached his eyes!. "Nooooo... I can't see!". Ever wearing sunglasses Mikami stood proud and victorious.
"We have won!, We have won!" Suda said with delight.

"NEVER", Wada and his Black Knight still remained, not the combined forces of Nippon could stop their ever lasting reign. Untill...

"I had Returned!" everyone trembled, as the mighty god returned. "Matsuno san!" "I blinded you years ago! This isn't possible!". A melody was heard, Uematsu removed Wada's evil spell from Nomura.

"You have nothing left, Squaresoft is mine again!", Sakaguchi closed in on his mortal enemy.
Wada jumped up from his throne. mumbling, shouting, raging. He was sidestepped, this crisis was too much. A dragon emerged from the depths of the sea and saved Wada. "He who follows us awaits death!" a lone rider on the creature said.
"Thou had forsaken Krazy Ken, Thou will forever be under our control!"

The dragon flew to black castle in Kyoto. Everyone knew that they had indeed awoken the sleeping giant and that they would be under its evil control for a long time to come. The forces of the west were also growing stronger and Nippon could not compete. Today however, was a day of celebration, Squaresoft had been freed from the traitors, never to be corrupted again and Sakaguchi locked Nomura away in the dungeons of iPhone development.

Jonnyram
(09-28-2009, 07:07 PM)
Uematsu too busy with FFXIV, Mitsuda writing BD2 OST confirmed.
BlazingDarkness
(09-28-2009, 07:10 PM)
nothing at TGS
when can we expect anything?
Misterinenja
(09-28-2009, 07:11 PM)

Would be awesome.
Quazar
(10-17-2009, 01:51 AM)

Am I an "idle man", I wonder? (^^;
Well, I am just trying to pastime…
I am working hard on a new project.
Now we are being rushed into the “finishing” stage.
No matter what, I will make it really good....

Nothing much again.

He's been playing inspector Gadget in this blog post:

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column_eng/pg139.html
gregor7777
my womb is impregnable
(10-17-2009, 01:55 AM)
Is it possible he's gone completely insane, and this project is a figment of his imagination?

Most of the photos with other people would have you believe he's holding it together, but I'm starting to doubt.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(10-17-2009, 02:00 AM)
They're in the finishing stage, yet the game still isn't announced. I kind of wonder if this will be another zero marketing release.
clashfan
you are not alone
(10-17-2009, 02:06 AM)

They're in the finishing stage, yet the game still isn't announced...

That is a pretty strange statement. Maybe he's talking about finishing a milestone?
cosmicblizzard
It's interesting to think about sex with Andy Milonakis
(10-17-2009, 02:09 AM)

Originally Posted by gregor7777

Is it possible he's gone completely insane, and this project is a figment of his imagination?

Most of the photos with other people would have you believe he's holding it together, but I'm starting to doubt.

He's been insane for a while now. Everyone in the picture is really just him. He thought he was with a bunch of industry people and friends, but he's really alone in all those pictures and he's just imagining them.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(10-17-2009, 02:09 AM)

Originally Posted by clashfan

That is a pretty strange statement. Maybe he's talking about finishing a milestone?

Well, I guess this could mean that Atlus is publishing it actually.

They do tend to announce most of their projects 3-6 months before launch so they look polished during the entire (and less costly since its shorter) marketing campaign.

Originally Posted by gregor7777

I think he's just becoming really disenfranchised with his inability to make the games he wants and have them be financially successful.
Gomu Gomu
(10-17-2009, 02:11 AM)

They're in the finishing stage, yet the game still isn't announced. I kind of wonder if this will be another zero marketing release.

Isn't it possible that he means an initial version or a prototype of the game?

edit: wow beaten by a mile.
Jangaroo
Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
(10-17-2009, 02:12 AM)

Oh fuck me, that would be enough to send me into cardiac arrest.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(10-17-2009, 02:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Gomu Gomu

Isn't it possible that he means an initial version or a prototype of the game?

edit: wow beaten by a mile.

I don't think you can really be rushed into a prototype though, can you?

I mean, prototypes can exist at all sorts of functionality levels, so I'd assume he means he at least needs to get the game into an alpha state that meets the actual definition of alpha (as in feature complete).
cosmicblizzard
(10-17-2009, 02:14 AM)

Does that mean it could be on consoles other than 360? Is that deal with Microsoft over? What exactly was the deal anyway? Was it for a certain amount of games?
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(10-17-2009, 02:16 AM)

Originally Posted by cosmicblizzard

Does that mean it could be on consoles other than 360? Is that deal with Microsoft over? What exactly was the deal anyway? Was it for a certain amount of games?

It was most likely a "Right of first refusal" contract, meaning that Microsoft had to be offered the first chance to publish their games, but if Microsoft refused to, then any other publisher could publish the games instead.
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
(10-17-2009, 02:18 AM)
[IMG]http://i37.************/muxy08.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i34.************/2j161d2.png[/IMG]
cosmicblizzard
(10-17-2009, 02:20 AM)

It was most likely a "Right of first refusal" contract, meaning that Microsoft had to be offered the first chance to publish their games, but if Microsoft refused to, then any other publisher could publish the games instead.

Hmmm, so we don't know for sure if that applies to a certain number of games or all games. If it's the latter, they might as well be a versatile second party.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(10-17-2009, 02:21 AM)
Err I think his project is the first iteration, not the final game, and they are about to finalize it. Basically, the version needed to show the game to the press for the first time.

Also, Sakaguchi is in the new Kingdom Hearts game on PSP as a character. Pretty cool:D (Kotaku had a scan).
FateBreaker
(10-17-2009, 02:22 AM)
Why can't I have Lost Odyssey II and Blue Dragon II?

WHY NOT?!?!?!?
Nemo
Will Eat Your Children
(10-17-2009, 02:23 AM)
As long as it's a turn based RPG
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(10-17-2009, 02:33 AM)

Originally Posted by FateBreaker

Why can't I have Lost Odyssey II and Blue Dragon II?

WHY NOT?!?!?!?

Technically the two DS games are in essence Blue Dragon II.

As for why you can't have them on a console, it's because Microsoft recently had almost all of their top executives changed and the new team decided to take a new strategy of making profitable core games (Halo, Crackdown, etc) and also make a large expansion into the casual sector (with Natal).

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon cost a lot of money, but in the end they didn't make a lot. Microsoft achieved their goal of getting Japanese developers to make games for the Xbox 360, which was actually one of the main reasons they were trying to get a hardware presence in the region, but since console gaming is mostly dying in Japan and they have achieved their original goal, they decided to cut their losses and bail out of making big budget retail games targeted at the Japanese market.

It's unfortunate, but it also seems to be the reality of the situation.
duckroll
(10-17-2009, 05:05 AM)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

Don't be absurd. Atlus isn't retarded enough to publish something which won't sell. :P

Technically the two DS games are in essence Blue Dragon II.

Sure. They're BD2 in the same vein as FFX-2 and FFXIIRW. :P
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
(10-17-2009, 05:15 AM)

Don't be absurd. Atlus isn't retarded enough to publish something which won't sell. :P

[IMG]http://i33.************/4kyyx4.jpg[/IMG]
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(10-17-2009, 05:15 AM)

Maybe it's being published by... Atlus U.S.A. :P

Sure. They're BD2 in the same vein as FFX-2 and FFXIIRW. :P

I like to greatly stretch the use of the word "technically".
duckroll
(10-17-2009, 05:23 AM)

Originally Posted by grandjedi6

[IMG]http://i33.************/4kyyx4.jpg[/IMG]

The series sells well enough in the US, which is the only reason it's still being made at all. Atlus USA handles the bulk of any decision regarding the series now. Atlus Japan doesn't really give a crap.

Maybe it's being published by... Atlus U.S.A. :P

I don't think they have the money to fund game development...