• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Rorschach

Karma Kramer said:
Just got in... what the fuck? Why did it get cancelled?
They messed up. It was supposed to be released yesterday. Since 15 is not equally divisible by 7, we're gonna have to wait until the 21st. Dems da breaks.

Nikorasu

Proelite said:
Maybe it was the flood or something but I was pretty sure I was going to make it to the top of the building. :lol

And the race on the Warthog was totally not nail biting since I've already done it in Legendary with an actual timer in the first Halo. -_-

It might be the fact that I am six years older than I was when I played Halo 1. Tricks that used to work on me now don't. :lol

That hopelessness in the first game probably stems a lot from the isolation, in the last few levels being the only survivor of a single human ship in the middle of nowhere against an enemy you knew next to nothing about. "Humanizing" the Covenant in H2 really killed their menace, and the Flood's threat really seemed to be downplayed, probably because of the way the characters didn't really react to them in a very fearful way.

Proelite

UltimaPooh said:
You made it on your first try? Because it was pretty difficult.

It's mostly the imagery that made that level cool because you come into this wide open area, and then some flood start dropping, then alot more flood, and then tons of flood, and then you have to survive till the doors open.

Where was the urgency to get to the top of the building? In COD4, you had to overcome a well prepared superior force in a set amount of time before several nukes goes off and kills several hundred million people. Granted the stakes were probably lower in COD4 than in Halo but they made sure that this was some urgent shit.
In contrast, Halo 3: Btw, we need to fire the halo to kill the bugs. Take your time.

Proelite

Nikorasu said:
That hopelessness in the first game probably stems a lot from the isolation, in the last few levels being the only survivor of a single human ship in the middle of nowhere against an enemy you knew next to nothing about. "Humanizing" the Covenant in H2 really killed their menace, and the Flood's threat really seemed to be downplayed, probably because of the way the characters didn't really react to them in a very fearful way.

Nailed it. Yeah, I like badass games, and Halo 2 and Halo 3 are nowhere near as badass as the first one was. Maybe Bungie is in another realm of literary proficiency that they feel the need to cram symbolism and philosophies everywhere.

jacobs34

BakedPigeon said:
Yep, MS gave them the fucking stick.

I'm still having a really hard time believing that MSoft waited until twelve hours before Bungie was going to make their announcement to pull the plug. They would have known months in advance about this announcement, so why wait until now. This is the only thing I'm having a problem wrapping my head around.

nyong

Banned
FightyF said:
It has nothing to do with Nintendo's motion controller. If anything MS's controller was 1:1 and superior to Nintendo's in every way.

Maybe Nintendo took a bunch of the steam out of their announcement. It would be plausible that it sent them back to the drawing board to find another way to "one-up" Nintendo at their own game.

Anyhow, I'll drop it for now. I'm linking this thread later if I'm right, though.

Could the real reason that the announcement wasn't made be because MS wanted to wait and see how the other conferences went? Originally it was supposed to be announced on Monday, then it was delayed until after the press events. Knowing that neither Nintendo or Sony had megaton announcements, it would be ridiculous to announce something huge that would steal no one's thunder but their own.

Yeah, I was curious about the Bungie announcement and looking forward to it too, but it seems to me like a simple business move.

jacobs34 said:
I'm still having a really hard time believing that MSoft waited until twelve hours before Bungie was going to make their announcement to pull the plug. They would have known months in advance about this announcement, so why wait until now. This is the only thing I'm having a problem wrapping my head around.

At Bungie.net there is a page that says their "publisher" was the one to pull the plug. Bungie would have revealed something without a doubt, they seemed pretty excited about it.

Proelite said:
Where was the urgency to get to the top of the building? In COD4, you had to overcome a well prepared superior force in a set amount of time before several nukes goes off and kills several hundred million people. Granted the stakes were probably lower in COD4 than Halo but they made sure that this was some urgent shit. Halo 3: Btw, we need to fire the halo to kill the bugs. Take your time.

Well you could remedy that with a time I suppose, but that's just a cheap and easy way to make you feel urgency. I guess what I am trying to describe here isn't really urgency but whether or not you the character felt like you were going to make, and when I started that mission with just the Arbiter at my side... I didn't know. (Obviously I knew I would eventually get it, because I could just continue where I left off) They got that through with the presentation.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
go play some original halo...i swear you'll feel better....i swear to you!

i wouldnt lie
trust me.

nyong

Banned
crestfallen said:
Could the real reason that the announcement wasn't made be because MS wanted to wait and see how the other conferences went? Originally it was supposed to be announced on Monday, then it was delayed until after the press events. Knowing that neither Nintendo or Sony had megaton announcements, it would be ridiculous to announce something huge that would steal no one's thunder but their own.

Yeah, I was curious about the Bungie announcement and looking forward to it too, but it seems to me like a simple business move.

This is plausible except for one thing that bothers me. Cancelling the announcement in the way they did is going to damage their reputation and upset fans. It might not have an impact on the games future sales, but it will dampen the effects of the announcement when it comes at a later date. They're stealing the thunder from their own game by doing this.

Proelite said:
I disagree, I think that the Halo Universe became extremely cliched and uninspiring after Halo 1. I would rather have the Bioshock or Valve writers do the story portion of the future Halo games. Even Infinity Ward have become much better at presentation lately than Bungie.
Because ditching the iconic player character in favor of the disgraced commander you defeated in the first game resurrected as the servant of an alien political machine only for the both of you to become the pawns of a deranged plant that speaks in a rhyming meter is the definition of cliched.

Halo 2 was inspired. Halo 3, eh.

MMaRsu said:
You really believe this too? I mean I can see why Bungie employees might be in on this, but I'll trust you.

Since when is GEB not a Bungie employee?

Eric WK

I woke up about an hour ago and just sifted through everything that's happened. I know we'll find out soon enough and all, but this is incredibly disappointing.

Oh well.

SecretDestroyer said:
The changed text on Reboot_homePage_04.jpg is reversed. It appears to read:

N4 B4 N47H4 < 1 DB >

The text on Reboot_homePage_03.jpg is not reversed but is harder to make out. It appears to read:

D34 ?h 4 N3 3L < 1 OB >

Everything else in the background appears exactly the same so why make this little change?

That's actually very interesting. I don't see why that would be changed.

I don't think this is a joke at all, but there are so many signs that without Luke's outright confirmation I would have believed.

I'd like to think we'll hear something more official from either Bungie or Microsoft tomorrow regarding the cancellation but I'm not holding my breath.

Proelite

Son of Godzilla said:
Because ditching the iconic player character in favor of the disgraced commander you defeated in the first game resurrected as the servant of an alien political machine only for the both of you to become the pawns of a deranged plant that speaks in a rhyming meter is the definition of cliched.

Maybe not cliched, but it was sloppy work. Halo: CE was so tight in its dialogue and presentation that it felt like a AAA movie.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Shogun said:
Yeah. It's odd they say publisher there. Could they be working on something for another system? Sony or Nintendo?

No it was confirmed in an earlier page that Microsoft is the publisher.

Monocle

Proelite said:
I know the universe is deep, but the dialogues and pacing of Halo 2 and Halo 3 was so ho-hum compared to the first one. I never got the sense of despair, hopelessness, and urgency that I had in the last 3 levels of Halo 1 that I had in both games.
I agree to a point. At times the dialogue and pacing in the last two titles aren't all they could be, but I think the stronger parts are good enough to pick up the slack. Both games certainly have their moments. Halo 1 was a product of serendipity that works in ways and for reasons even Bungie hasn't fully reproduced and isolated. However, while the trilogy has its share of flaws, Bungie's strength of vision and unrivaled attention to detail is apparent in each title. The results make it difficult to hold their oversights against them. All of the games' campaigns are highly replayable, and as far as lore is concerned, I think only Bethesda could give Bungie a run for its money.

Edit:
Proelite said:
Nailed it. Yeah, I like badass games, and Halo 2 and Halo 3 are nowhere near as badass as the first one was. Maybe Bungie is in another realm of literary proficiency that they feel the need to cram symbolism and philosophies everywhere.
Thing is, the literary underpinnings never impose themselves. Halo's esoteric facets don't drag it down at all. As you know, it's a franchise with enormous mass-market appeal. Those who couldn't care less about the deep stuff gloss right over it. Those who do have a universe of staggering complexity to explore.

MMaRsu

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:

Wait I thought GEB wasn't a Bungie employee? Just a big fan of theirs?

I am actually Happy Microsoft delayed this. halo was released in November, Bungie started work on this project at that time, its just way too early to show something

Eric WK

artredis1980 said:
I am actually Happy Microsoft delayed this. halo was released in November, Bungie started work on this project at that time, its just way too early to show something

They had multiple projects in development.

Kongo

Neo Member
Well, i dont care if the announcement is cancled or not, im still waking up at 7 to see what happens to the site, because if this announcement was posted at the exact same time that the countdown clock hit 12 hours left and now the countdown clock is still on 12 hours, im hoping that the page will be updated at 7:00am-7:07am PST

Eric WK said:
That's actually very interesting. I don't see why that would be changed.

Because it's a coded message. :)

Arbitrarily changing something in the background with reversed text is just begging for people to investigate what the text means.

N4 B4 N47H4 < 1 DB >

AAK

Karma Kramer said:
:lol :lol :lol

Just got in... what the fuck? Why did it get cancelled? :lol

Maybe this was to counter any bombs dropped at Sony's Press Conference. Since Sony didn't deliver, they decided to save this weapon Bungie developed for another frontier in the console war.

Leipzig maybe? Or GDC even?

Proelite

godhandiscen said:
Bullshit. I am pretty sure EA is the publisher now.

Does it matter who is the publisher? Canceled announcement is canceled announcement, and we cry needlessly over it since most of us have priority issues.

hyduK

Banned
AAK said:
Maybe this was to counter any bombs dropped at Sony's Press Conference. Since Sony didn't deliver, they decided to save this weapon Bungie developed for another frontier in the console war.

Leipzig maybe? Or GDC even?
Seems probable. But it's not like either of them really beat one another. You would think MS would use this to their advantage, it would easily make them the winner of E3.

Eric WK

Joy.stiq said:
We had a chance to speak with newly appointed general manager of Microsoft Game Studios Phil Spencer earlier this afternoon but there's good news and bad news. The bad news: We spoke with him just a couple hours before Bungie announced that the very same Microsoft Game Studios "changed" plans to announce the game this week. The good news: We just so happened to ask Spencer about the lack of a Bungie announcement in Microsoft's press conference (as expected) and the publishing relationship with Bungie.

Spencer: "Our relationship with Bungie was always about a triple-A creative studio building content for our platform, and our working relationship brought about Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3 – which I think are great games. If that's the core of the relationship, creative people building content for our platforms, I don't think the relationship has changed. We have a relationship with a very talented studio who wants to create games for Xbox.

Joy.stiq: Speaking of Bungie, there wasn't any mention of Halo games or Halo projects during the presentation yesterday and there wasn't any mention of Bungie or Bungie working on any other projects. Bungie has been teasing something on their website for the last couple weeks, and it seems like they're ready to announce it but they're doing it independently of Microsoft. Is that indicative of any kind of change in that relationship – that they wouldn't have that game announced at the E3 conference?

Spencer: We focused the E3 event on games that are coming this holiday, from a first-party perspective. If you look at the games we talked about in the briefing, the games that you will see – Banjo, Viva Pinata, Fable 2, Gears of War 2, Lips, Scene It – these are all games that you're going to see this fall. That was the decision we made – we did the same thing last year, if you'll remember – to try and really introduce people to the games as they come towards completion, we'll show them what we have and what is coming. The relationship to Bungie and the projects that we're working on together – we don't have anything to announce today – but it's in our plans.

it's not clear if Spencer is saying that whatever project Bungie is working on wouldn't have been available this year (rumors be damned) and that explains its absence from E3. We'll publish the rest of the interview as soon as we're done transcribing it.

http://tinyurl.com/5zb3ve

Makes me wonder just when the decision was made.

Nikorasu

Proelite said:
Does it matter who is the publisher? Canceled announcement is canceled announcement, and we cry needlessly over it since most of us have priority issues.

Speaking of priorities I could always pull out the "we're all posting on a gaming forum" card. :D

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
LukeSmith said:
Nope.
Not our style. We already are deeply disappointed with how things unfolded to this point without getting our fans to the intended payoff.
EA style rite?
Proelite said:
Any publisher that pulls this shit doesn't respect the fans. If this is Microsoft then I am sorry to say it, but they will be losing credibility with me. If this is the act of any other publisher, is a sign of things to come.

Nikorasu

Eric WK said:
http://tinyurl.com/5zb3ve

Makes me wonder just when the decision was made.

Well there you have it. I really was just bad timing and bad decision making. I'm content that they actually gave an explanation. Its a typical business move and it makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is why they had to string people along until the last minute. If they had any nagging doubts that they were going to pull it, they should have done so as early as possible.

Proelite said:
I know the universe is deep, but the dialogues and pacing of Halo 2 and Halo 3 was so ho-hum compared to the first one. I never got the sense of despair, hopelessness, and urgency that I had in the last 3 levels of Halo 1 that I had in both games.

This is Matrix syndrome. The first movie was just the one ship and a small crew so you cared, and you even cared about Zion from the loving description given by the crew.

The second and third movies brought in the whole of zion and the machine city and all that stuff to up the ante, but it just made everything feel more distant.

Rand al Thor 19

For some reason I think the announcement will be made on the last day of E3 and it's not because they are joking around with us. It will be because Microsoft will need to stem all of the Bungie fanboy's rage that this cancellation is obviously causing. Every question that Microsoft will ge from here on out will be about why they did this to Bungie and their fans instead of focusing on what they are showing at E3. In short, this cancellation will overshadow everything they have done and are going to do at E3. This is why I think Microsoft will let Bungie unveil the game on the last day so at least they can get some positive press out of the situation.

Top Bottom