• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

AranhaHunter
Banned
(07-24-2008, 11:49 PM)
I'm getting a big discrepancy between my PS3 download speed and what I get on my PC when I test them on speedtest.net

Router Model:
WRT54G V8

PC
Download Speed: 9346 kb/s
Upload Speed: 1365 kb/s
Ping: 151ms

PS3
Download Speed: 1681 kb/s
Upload Speed: 1405 kb/s
Ping: 158ms

As you can see the only big difference is the download speed, I tried connecting the PS3 directly to the modem to test but I couldn't even get a connection there. The PS3 is wired now for this test while the PC is still wireless. Anybody has any idea what's going on?
pr0cs
Member
(07-24-2008, 11:53 PM)
I just think they're just having problems, I noticed this last night trying to download a few demos.. it was painfully slow.
Keyser Soze
Member
(07-24-2008, 11:57 PM)
Keyser Soze's Avatar
Screw you, I am lucky to scrape 300 kb/s when downloading from home and I dont compain... :P
Seiken
Banned
(07-24-2008, 11:58 PM)
Damn that's mighty fast.
BSTF
this post rates 1/10
(07-24-2008, 11:59 PM)
BSTF's Avatar
Maybe it's because the browser is slow? Usually if I'm connected to wireless, it transfers like crap. When I'm wired I can get 16-20 mbps downloaded from the PSN store.
AranhaHunter
Banned
(07-25-2008, 12:09 AM)

Originally Posted by BSTF

Maybe it's because the browser is slow? Usually if I'm connected to wireless, it transfers like crap. When I'm wired I can get 16-20 mbps downloaded from the PSN store.

I don't think it's the browser because all my downloads (trailers, demos, etc) take forever, plus I can browse sites at comparable speed to the PC. That's one of the reasons I haven't tried the movie service yet, because my download speed sucks on the PS3.
madmook
Admire my girth. Mmm.
(07-25-2008, 12:19 AM)
madmook's Avatar
9346 kbps what kind of connection is that?

I am on 768K dsl which gets me like 88 kbps download.
Metalmurphy
Banned
(07-25-2008, 12:29 AM)
Metalmurphy's Avatar
Cause speedtest.net sucks ass.

I get around 1MB/s on the store and only 900kbps (which around 100KB/s) on speednet.
AranhaHunter
Banned
(07-25-2008, 01:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy

Cause speedtest.net sucks ass.

I get around 1MB/s on the store and only 900kbps (which around 100KB/s) on speednet.

How do you know you got 1MB/s on the store?

When I download stuff it takes forever for 1 MB to move
elseanio
Member
(07-25-2008, 01:07 AM)
elseanio's Avatar

Originally Posted by AranhaHunter

How do you know you got 1MB/s on the store?

When I download stuff it takes forever for 1 MB to move

Mine usually goes up 1MB every second too

My friends list, however, takes an age to fully load up with icons
My Arms Your Hearse
Banned
(07-25-2008, 01:07 AM)
I get 6MB on speakeasy on both my PC and PS3... but I'm trying to download the HQ KZ2 video off of playsyde right now and I'm getting like 16KB every few seconds :(.

Generally, even when proceeding normally, the PS3 is a bit slower than the PC (as is the 360) when actually downloading stuff, even though it equals or even beats it on various speed tests.
FiRez
Member
(07-25-2008, 01:12 AM)
FiRez's Avatar
COD4 has been a laggy mess for me since 1 week ago, store downloads are so slooow too a mere theme of 1.2MB took around 4 minutes to download :/
SIP YEK NOD
Banned
(07-25-2008, 01:13 AM)
I'm on 25mbit down/1mbit up, my pc and 360 both speed through downloads, but the ps3 system update download alone takes about 15 minutes.

PS3 store downloads are usually quicker, but still less than half the speed of the 360.
Durante
I'm taking it FROM here, so says Mr. Stewart
(07-25-2008, 01:16 AM)
Durante's Avatar
Interesting, I tried it as well:

Speedtest PC:
7845 kb/s // 751 kb/s // 34 ms

Speedtest PS3 wireless:
3047 kb/s // 807 kb/s // 103 ms

Speedtest PS3 wired:
6868 kb/s // 767 kb/s // 53 ms

In other words, wireless lan sucks. What else is new?

(I also usually get around 1 MB/s from the store)
Pimpwerx
Banned
(07-25-2008, 01:45 AM)
My PS3 pulls data down just fine. I do know that Thursdays are still the slowest/laggiest days for the network, but that's probably b/c traffic is so high. PEACE.
HoTHiTTeR
Member
(07-25-2008, 02:05 AM)

Originally Posted by SIP YEK NOD

I'm on 25mbit down/1mbit up, my pc and 360 both speed through downloads, but the ps3 system update download alone takes about 15 minutes.

PS3 store downloads are usually quicker, but still less than half the speed of the 360.

This.

I'm on 30/2 and my PSN store downloads are much slower than my 360's or PC's.
Immortal_Daemon
Member
(07-25-2008, 02:14 AM)
Immortal_Daemon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pimpwerx

My PS3 pulls data down just fine. I do know that Thursdays are still the slowest/laggiest days for the network, but that's probably b/c traffic is so high. PEACE.


Thursdays are slower than weekends? O_o
Pimpwerx
Banned
(07-25-2008, 02:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Immortal_Daemon

Thursdays are slower than weekends? O_o

For me at least. Whatever they're doing to the servers that day seems to cause me more problems on Thursdays than any other day, and on a regular basis. PEACE.
AranhaHunter
Banned
(07-25-2008, 04:01 AM)
So from the looks of it, it seems that everybody's 360 and PC have higher download speeds than their PS3s, so there's nothing I can do on my side it seems to be a problem with Sony's servers. What's their contact info? I'm gonna call and complain.
shagg_187
lapdance transform pants
(07-25-2008, 04:02 AM)
shagg_187's Avatar
I get great speed for PSN... :)
BobsRevenge
I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
(07-25-2008, 04:05 AM)
BobsRevenge's Avatar
I downloaded a Standard Def TV show and was able to start watching it immediately after I started downloading, so it's pretty fast for me.
HamPster PamPster
Member
(07-25-2008, 04:08 AM)
HamPster PamPster's Avatar
Question!

If it takes me 30 minutes to download a 58 MB podcast on my PC (at 39.3kb as I am doing now) how long would it take to download the average demo from a PS3?
rollingstart
Member
(07-25-2008, 04:17 AM)
I just tried this because I was curious about why my PS3 download speed (it is probably just the servers, but) was much slower than on PC or 360.

PC
9281
1448

vs

PS3
5430
1370

Not a big drop.
WTFing
Banned
(07-25-2008, 04:20 AM)

my PS3 eats packets!
CoilShot
Member
(07-25-2008, 06:24 PM)
CoilShot's Avatar
Is wired connection really faster then wireless on PS3? I might switch back then.
AndyD
aka andydumi
(07-25-2008, 06:29 PM)
AndyD's Avatar

Originally Posted by Durante

Interesting, I tried it as well:

Speedtest PC:
7845 kb/s // 751 kb/s // 34 ms

Speedtest PS3 wireless:
3047 kb/s // 807 kb/s // 103 ms

Speedtest PS3 wired:
6868 kb/s // 767 kb/s // 53 ms

In other words, wireless lan sucks. What else is new?

(I also usually get around 1 MB/s from the store)

Similar results here. Wired PS3 was about 95% of PC speed. And wireless was about 30%. I download at about 1 MB a sec from the network on DSL. My wireless G is in the garage, 7 walls away from the living room, so that may the reason for its slowness. But the house is wired for LAN, so its great to have that option.
Last edited by AndyD; 07-25-2008 at 06:33 PM.
CoilShot
Member
(07-25-2008, 06:30 PM)
CoilShot's Avatar

Originally Posted by andydumi

Similar results here. Wired PS3 was about 95% of PC speed. And wireless was about 30%. I download at about 1 MB a sec from the network on DSL.

Oh my.... I think I'm going to use wired then :D
AndyD
aka andydumi
(07-25-2008, 06:31 PM)
AndyD's Avatar

Originally Posted by HamPster PamPster

Question!

If it takes me 30 minutes to download a 58 MB podcast on my PC (at 39.3kb as I am doing now) how long would it take to download the average demo from a PS3?

Depends on the size. A small demo can be a couple hundred megs, so about an hour, but some of the 1.5gb demos will take you overnight or more.
zoku88
Member
(07-25-2008, 06:35 PM)
zoku88's Avatar

Originally Posted by CoilShot

Is wired connection really faster then wireless on PS3? I might switch back then.

....


Uhm, isn't that the case with almost everything?
megateto
Member
(07-25-2008, 06:45 PM)
In my case, even on a wired connection with ports opened and all, I just get around 50 kb/s d/l speeds, while I usually download stuff at 1.2Mb on my PC. Oddly enough, PS3's firmware downloads are way faster than my demo download speeds.
Dr_Cogent
Banned
(07-25-2008, 06:49 PM)
My internet connection rocks. My download clocks in at 30 mbit down and 3 mbit up.

My internet connection fucking rocks the house. Shit yeah!

My downloads from anything are pretty much dependent on what the server can give me.
Baha
Member
(07-25-2008, 07:03 PM)
Baha's Avatar
The store is fast for me but I have noticed some slowdown in the past week or so. I attribute that to E3 plus the new video store.
HoTHiTTeR
Member
(07-25-2008, 07:04 PM)
I converted mine to hardwire cat5 last night and the ps3 smokes now. I was flying through pixeljunk and other psn titles.
Firewire
Banned
(07-25-2008, 07:07 PM)
I had so-so speed on my PS3, then I opened up some ports and for the most part my downloads are very fast now.
같ToMmY같
Member
(07-25-2008, 07:08 PM)
같ToMmY같's Avatar
did you open UDP and TCP ports for the ps3 ip in the router?

EDIT:

set a static IP in your ps3 and then open these ports in the router.

TCP - 80 -
UDP - 80 -
TCP - 443 -
UDP - 443 -

Video Chat and Vocal Chat:
TCP - 5223 -
UDP - 5223 -

For online play:
TCP - 3478 -
UDP - 3478 -
TCP - 3479 -
UDP - 3479 -

Playstation Network:
TCP - 3658 -
UDP - 3658 -
CoilShot
Member
(07-25-2008, 07:17 PM)
CoilShot's Avatar
wow! It's night and day difference for me. I went from 1mb every 8secs to almost 2mb per second
AndyD
aka andydumi
(07-25-2008, 07:36 PM)
AndyD's Avatar

Originally Posted by CoilShot

wow! It's night and day difference for me. I went from 1mb every 8secs to almost 2mb per second

Exactly. People complain about the store, but its usually their network connection.
AranhaHunter
Banned
(07-25-2008, 07:39 PM)

Originally Posted by 같ToMmY같

did you open UDP and TCP ports for the ps3 ip in the router?

EDIT:

set a static IP in your ps3 and then open these ports in the router.

TCP - 80 -
UDP - 80 -
TCP - 443 -
UDP - 443 -

Video Chat and Vocal Chat:
TCP - 5223 -
UDP - 5223 -

For online play:
TCP - 3478 -
UDP - 3478 -
TCP - 3479 -
UDP - 3479 -

Playstation Network:
TCP - 3658 -
UDP - 3658 -

Can you elaborate more on how I would do all that? I don't even know how to set up a static IP on the PS3.
ckeur
Member
(07-25-2008, 07:40 PM)
ckeur's Avatar
My DL speed (via speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/result/292823130.png) on my PC is ~79000kbs so I'd be curious to test it out on my PS3... will do this tonight when I get home from work!
AranhaHunter
Banned
(07-25-2008, 07:43 PM)

Originally Posted by CoilShot

wow! It's night and day difference for me. I went from 1mb every 8secs to almost 2mb per second

That happened because you opened up the ports?
carlosp
Banned
(07-25-2008, 07:43 PM)
i have 16 mbit connection and i can watch HD videos immediately. So i am satisfied. I only hate the fact i need to leave the store to watch videos.
Threi
notag
(07-25-2008, 07:45 PM)
Threi's Avatar
Read up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256257
indie85
Banned
(07-25-2008, 07:46 PM)
Short answer: your PS3 hates you.
AranhaHunter
Banned
(07-25-2008, 07:49 PM)

Originally Posted by ckeur

My DL speed (via speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/result/292823130.png) on my PC is ~79000kbs so I'd be curious to test it out on my PS3... will do this tonight when I get home from work!

How can your download be so fast but your upload suck?
CoilShot
Member
(07-25-2008, 07:51 PM)
CoilShot's Avatar

Originally Posted by AranhaHunter

That happened because you opened up the ports?

it happened because I switched back to using wired connection
clashfan
you are not alone
(07-25-2008, 07:53 PM)
How come you guys have such faster internet connects? Who is your isp?
같ToMmY같
Member
(07-25-2008, 08:00 PM)
같ToMmY같's Avatar

Originally Posted by AranhaHunter

Can you elaborate more on how I would do all that? I don't even know how to set up a static IP on the PS3.

for the ps3:
go to connection, manual settings, search your wireless AP and add these:

static ip of the ps3: 192.168.1.10 (the underlined can go from 3 to 250, you can choose whatever you want)
router ip: 192.168.1.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
dns: 192.168.1.1


then you have to go on your router settings and put the numbers i gave you before. put http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser and enter the settings (password and name for entering are usually admin). here's mine for example (my ps3 ip is 192.168.1.30, you have to put the one you have chosen):

Goldrusher
Member
(07-25-2008, 08:20 PM)
Goldrusher's Avatar
My PS3 is faster lol.

PC: 14176 kbps
PS3: 15081 kbps
PistolGrip
sex vacation in Guam
(07-25-2008, 08:31 PM)
PistolGrip's Avatar
>Ctrl D
Crisis
Banned
(07-25-2008, 08:52 PM)
Crisis's Avatar
My PS3 is easily the slowest console I own in terms of downloads. I have a 360 as well and both are connected via wifi. My 360 fucking blazes but my PS3 isn't anywhere near as fast as anything else. I'm terrible with networking but is there any way to set a static IP address for my PS3 and leave everything else the fuck alone?

Thread Tools