• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer reviews Too Human. Evilore 1, Dyack 0. Who cares?! We want the BATMAN!

DrBo42

Hypno Funk said:
Batman game would be ace, especially if it maintains the atmosphere fo the film.

As for Too Human, the hate on Dyack is terrible, it's just one review, and people are drawing pitures of the guy with a bullet in his head?
Over one review........for a videogame. I would of thought some people would've upheld more class than that.

Class? On the internet? I'll show ya, these so called "civilized people..." they'll EAT each other.

Sallokin said:
PS3, 360, PC. Sorry I left that out.

YES! Not watered down graphically for PS2 or Wii like Activision does. Awesome.

Kittonwy

Banned
Sallokin said:
- Most of the game is played through an over-the-shoulder perspective

Wut. Third-person or bust.
batman.gif

Snaku

Banned
Sallokin said:
Here's what I have so far. I have about 6 pages to read through though

Batman: Arkham Asylum

1 Player Action Game, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Publisher: Eidos

Developer: Rocksteady Sudios

Release: 2009

- Clever choice of location moves the game away from an open world Spider-Man clone and more into the dark and gritty realm of The Chronicles of Riddick.

- Packed with Batman's most dangerous archenemies Arkham Asylum boasts a brand new story reminiscent of the depth and twists of Bioshock

- Story is written by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series, Detective Comics)

- Wildstorm is crafting the authentic yet distinct new look for all the key characters

- Gameplay places just as much focus on Batman's role as a detective as his combat prowess.

- Game isn't being rushed to tie in with any TV/Film marketing cycles.

- Game runs on Unreal Engine 3

- You're going to see and get to fight against all the big super villains. Seen so far. Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Zsasz, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze and others the magazine doesn't want to spoil.

- Allies revealed so far are Commissioner Gordon who plays a big role and Barbara Gordon (aka Oracle) who is your radio contact in the game.

- Game opens with the Joker surrendering himself and subsequently taking over Arkham because of some secret the facility holds

- Magazine teases that this game will be the ultimate Batman experience so the voice cast will reflect that (Think Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill).

- Arkham was chosen as a location because of its limitations including the fact that it's an island prison. It's a persistent location so you can visit any location at anytime including Batman's secret on site Bat Cave etc. Don't think that just because this is an island prison there will only be small hallways. The developers have taken into account all the construction/destruction of the facility over the years so locals will vary.

- Eidos' Batman license includes all 70 years of comic book fiction so they're pulling from all of that.

COMBAT

- Boss Battles won't necessarily be a series of straight pugilistic fights. Each enemy represents a different side of Batman and not all of them can match his wide skill set. Some battles are focused on combat others will focus on gadgets some are similar to giant Zelda style bosses.

Bravo!

Game sounds really interesting. I pray it's better than Dark Tomorrow. :(

Amir0x

Banned
COMBAT

- Boss Battles won't necessarily be a series of straight pugilistic fights. Each enemy represents a different side of Batman and not all of them can match his wide skill set. Some battles are focused on combat others will focus on gadgets some are similar to giant Zelda style bosses.

How awesome is this?

So awesome.

Sallokin said:
Here's what I have so far. I have about 6 pages to read through though

Batman: Arkham Asylum

1 Player Action Game, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Publisher: Eidos

Developer: Rocksteady Sudios

Release: 2009

- Clever choice of location moves the game away from an open world Spider-Man clone and more into the dark and gritty realm of The Chronicles of Riddick.

- Packed with Batman's most dangerous archenemies Arkham Asylum boasts a brand new story reminiscent of the depth and twists of Bioshock

- Story is written by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series, Detective Comics)

- Wildstorm is crafting the authentic yet distinct new look for all the key characters

- Gameplay places just as much focus on Batman's role as a detective as his combat prowess.

- Game isn't being rushed to tie in with any TV/Film marketing cycles.

- Game runs on Unreal Engine 3

- You're going to see and get to fight against all the big super villains. Seen so far. Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Zsasz, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze and others the magazine doesn't want to spoil.

- Allies revealed so far are Commissioner Gordon who plays a big role and Barbara Gordon (aka Oracle) who is your radio contact in the game.

- Game opens with the Joker surrendering himself and subsequently taking over Arkham because of some secret the facility holds

- Magazine teases that this game will be the ultimate Batman experience so the voice cast will reflect that (Think Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill).

- Arkham was chosen as a location because of its limitations including the fact that it's an island prison. It's a persistent location so you can visit any location at anytime including Batman's secret on site Bat Cave etc. Don't think that just because this is an island prison there will only be small hallways. The developers have taken into account all the construction/destruction of the facility over the years so locals will vary.

- Eidos' Batman license includes all 70 years of comic book fiction so they're pulling from all of that.

COMBAT

Sounds like it might be based of Moz's Arkham Asylum, especially if there's a secret involved.

border

Arkham is an "island prison"? Really? It never seemed that way in The Animated Series....and it certainly wasn't an island in Nolan's Batman universe.

Kittonwy

Banned
The Innocent X said:
Just imagine the third person is sitting on your shoulder. Prolem solved.

And too many vilians. Save some for the later games.

How can you do platforming or gliding over teh shoulder? I wanna see it in action though.
batman.gif

border said:
Arkham is an "island prison"? Really? It never seemed that way in The Animated Series....and it certainly wasn't an island in Nolan's Batman universe.
It was on an island in Nolan's. Hence them lifting the bridges in Begins.

BuddyC

border said:
Arkham essentially grew to encompass the entire island in Nolan's universe after Batman Begins. See the Batman: Gotham Knight DVD.

And yes, Benjamin, I have Morrison's Arkham Asylum sitting on my desk right now.

By the way, I love you Sallokin.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
thanks Sallokin, i hope u don't mind me updating the OP with this stuff. i'll leave it there until someone decides to make a thread about it.

border

sevenchaos said:
It was on an island in Nolan's. Hence them lifting the bridges in Begins.
It was right in the middle of Gotham City in Batman Begins. They pulled up the bridges to prevent people from spreading, but Arkham wasn't its own island.

BuddyC said:
Arkham essentially grew to encompass the entire island in Nolan's universe after Batman Begins. See the Batman: Gotham Knight DVD.

And yes, Benjamin, I have Morrison's Arkham Asylum sitting on my desk right now.

:D

"How is the Boy Wonder? Started shaving yet?"

Kittonwy said:
How can you do platforming or gliding over teh shoulder? I wanna see it in action though.
batman.gif
Seeing that you're in a prison I don't think there will be too many opportunities to glide.

The game sounds awesome so far. It says it's an original story but so far it sounds pretty similar to Arkham Asylum.

Kittonwy said:
batman.gif

True, I would prefer a third person perspective too, I was just making a joke.

A lot of super hero games fall into the trap of having too many villians though. Unless it's done really well you end up with supervillian soup and none of them seem special.

Kabouter

snoopers said:
For those who're interested, out of the three creators of Mucky Foot, Diskett and McGechie are now respectively game programmer and character artist at Rockstar North (GTA IV) and the third one, Simmons, vanished into the void. The guy had quite the track record, he worked on five games wich were Startopia, Magic Carpet, Theme Park, Syndicate and Syndicate: American Revolt. Anyway, that's it.
Also read that a lot of the team went on to work on The Movies for Lionhead.

This Batman hype is ridiculous, people are actually excited by what should by all accounts be a fucking licensed shovelware cash in?

Oneself said:
Sounds promising.. but

I don't like that.

Mirror's Edge already proves that UE3 is a better engine than the cliche responses have use believe. UE3 only seems limiting because of the developers ambition.

MickeyKnox said:
This Batman hype is ridiculous, people are actually excited by what should by all accounts be a fucking licensed shovelware cash in?

Gathering up all the info, it seems like there is a legit reason to get excited for it. This could be another Sonic game case, but at least this time the cards are in our favor.

border

MickeyKnox said:
Kind of funny that there was all this yapping over a game from a sophomore developer whose first efforts rarely topped 75% on Gamerankings.

MickeyKnox said:

But it's made by the people who made the second best Urban Chaos game!

MickeyKnox said:

"Please, Miss! Two-Face has pissed himself again!"

Hm, I wonder why....

border said:
It was right in the middle of Gotham City in Batman Begins. They pulled up the bridges to prevent people from spreading, but Arkham wasn't its own island.
Isn't that an island in the middle there?
mh96qb.jpg

border said:
Kind of funny that there was all this yapping over a game from a sophomore developer whose first efforts rarely topped 75% on Gamerankings.

LittleBigPlanet, a game that gets a lot of hype on this forum and prss in general, is from a 'sophomore developer' whose first effort was a 70% on Gamerankings.

I am fine with being cautiously optimistic for this new Batman game.

border

sevenchaos said:
Isn't that an island in the middle there?
mh96qb.jpg
It's not an "island prison" in the sense that the developers are talking about it. It is not Alacatrz -- it's just an asylum in the middle of a dense, urban island. It is no more an "island prison" than any NYPD precinct on Manhattan.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
i know people are gonna hate me for asking this but Sallokin, can you please check the Too Human review and tell us what they didn't exactly like about the story?

EDIT: that can wait :lol please continue reporting

Batman: AA actually sounds pretty interesting. No idea how it'll turn out, but the direction they're taking should do a lot to differentiate it from the open-world direction of most recent and upcoming superhero games, including what Pandemic is doing with their Bat-license.

The Innocent X said:
Wasn't the asylum just on the island where all the poor people lived?

In Gotham Knight it shows a lot of poor low life people living on that island, but then there was the actual prison/asylum there where the inmates were locked up.

BuddyC

The Innocent X said:
Wasn't the asylum just on the island where all the poor people lived?
It was, until the events of Batman Begins. Now the entire thing is considered Asylym grounds.

BuddyC said:
It was, until the events of Batman Begins. Now the entire thing is considered Asylym grounds.

OK, that makes sense I guess. I can't keep these comic reinventions straight in my head.

Why did no one ever make a good adam West style batman game?

Snaku

Banned
Sallokin said:
- Combat description in the magazine talks about Batman perched on a high ledge in a wide open room as he watches some of the Joker's thugs rifle through drawers. Batman switches to investigation mode using a blue tinted visor that among other things lets Batman see his enemies through walls and identifies things like guns and knives. One thug is carrying a machine gun so Batman jumps of the ledge, spreads his cape and kicks him in the face. He then swipes his cape in a large arc to stun his other enemies and then goes to work on them with a stylish blend of punches, kicks, a knee to the face here a behind the back elbow there. Combat has a gymnastic flourish and is accomplished using only three buttons. Attack, Stun and Throw.

- Combat is only one element of the game so the developers didn't want a bunch of button combos that you'd forget because you'll be doing other things besides fighting.

- During battle a combo multiplier at the top of the screen will increase with every strike. Once the combo expires a colony of bats will swirl around Batman and then contribute to an experience bar on the left side of the screen. In an RPG like skill tree system players will be able to distribute points where they prefer. Think Combat moves, faster takedowns, or gadget upgrades like the ability to throw multiple batarangs at the same time.

- Gadgets are revealed by collecting items in secret rooms. You'll need gadgets to survive as there are very tough enemies in the game that you can't just go head to head with (Think Killer Croc, he's 10 feet tall in the game and super tough)

- There are sections that involve sneaking but the developers call them Predatory gameplay sections as stealth tends to imply weakness, they prefer to think of it as picking off the weak people or people you wouldn't last too long in direct fight with from strong positions. The example they give in the article is Batman creating distractions with bodies and victim's yells and then stalking the guards as they go to inspect.

DETECTIVE

- Developers have come up with a very "sexy" CSI style for forensic puzzles because Batman will always have the very latest gadgets.

- Investigative mode is the centerpiece in Batman's arsenal. The visor can highlight points of interest and much like the Metroid Prime games will scan items into your database.

Yeah...I'm getting wet.

- Combat description in the magazine talks about Batman perched on a high ledge in a wide open room as he watches some of the Joker's thugs rifle through drawers. Batman switches to investigation mode using a blue tinted visor that among other things lets Batman see his enemies through walls and identifies things like guns and knives. One thug is carrying a machine gun so Batman jumps of the ledge, spreads his cape and kicks him in the face. He then swipes his cape in a large arc to stun his other enemies and then goes to work on them with a stylish blend of punches, kicks, a knee to the face here a behind the back elbow there. Combat has a gymnastic flourish and is accomplished using only three buttons. Attack, Stun and Throw.
Bat-vision! Some people might not be so thrilled about that. :lol

Top Bottom