• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir - GC08 ten minute-long demo video

butsomuch

GC 2008 demo gameplay video (You can download HD version)

and 14 new screenshots

946862_20080822_screen010.jpg

946862_20080822_screen003.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Velicoraptors? Fear not! I will inspire you all by charging blindly on! Maybe we will even find our way back!

Llyranor

Westgate isn't going to be free. The mod is done, they're just waiting for some sort of Atari online certification thingie or something. Their version of DRM.

Souther

Banned
Personally in games like this....unless its out of my control i always solo. I never take the time to build a party...just seems like to much work to have to control everyone and give them specific commands based on their class, choose spells, etc etc

Soloing is funner and easier. But if your say a necromancer and your controlling some skeletons then thats fine since they are basically just fodder anyways so you can just mouse over all of them and give a single command.

I have the original NWN and both its expansions. I should install HOTUD and finish that someday.

Durante

Tokubetsu said:
Paging Evilore. What happened to that 10 dollar module?
Mysteries of Westgate has been finished since late 2007 and still hasn't been released since Atari wants to implement some new DRM.
I'm not bitter... not at all ARARIAHRAH

Minsc

Gold Member
Llyranor said:
Westgate isn't going to be free. The mod is done, they're just waiting for some sort of Atari online certification thingie or something. Their version of DRM.

Yes it was/is... if it wasn't going to be free they'd just release it when it was done and charge for it, like all their other mods and not worry about this DRM shit. They're doing this because they don't want pirated copys of NWN2 being able to work with Westgate, but chances are it's in vain.

Souther said:
Personally in games like this....unless its out of my control i always solo. I never take the time to build a party...just seems like to much work to have to control everyone and give them specific commands based on their class, choose spells, etc etc

Soloing is funner and easier. But if your say a necromancer and your controlling some skeletons then thats fine since they are basically just fodder anyways so you can just mouse over all of them and give a single command.
I enjoy soloing if the game scales the XP accordingly, like in BG where it splits the XP for each character on your party so smaller party -> higher levels. Gives me more customizability and more replay value.

I hope it's the same here.

Gattsu25

Banned
Okay, I just finished watching the video and I'm loving this thing, already.

6 players, rougher death system, a traversable world map (complete enemies, merchants, and hidden objects), and smarter AI?

Yes please!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Minsc said:
Yes it was/is... if it wasn't going to be free they'd just release it when it was done and charge for it, like all their other mods and not worry about this DRM shit. They're doing this because they don't want pirated copys of NWN2 being able to work with Westgate, but chances are it's in vain.

Well, you've succeeded in completely making up a whole lot of shit. Mysteries of Westgate has been a paid product from the start (expanding on the premium module concept from NWN1), and the DRM is to prevent piracy for this and future adventure packs (along with other Atari products, supposedly). Of course, since they've taken a completely absurd amount of time to patch in the functionality, there probably won't be any more adventure packs after MoW.

Sources:

Product announcement:

http://games.ign.com/articles/829/829373p1.html
Initial Press Release said:
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate is scheduled for release in fall 2007. The new Mysteries of Westgate, as well as future adventure packs, require the original game and will be made available for purchase and download directly from Atari. More information about Neverwinter Nights 2 can be found at www.nwn2.com, which includes user forums, project news, development updates and more.

DRM delay explanation:

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=623831&forum=122

Atari producer said:
My name is Keehwan Her and I am the Atari producer for Mysteries of Westgate (MoW) among other D&D products. Most of you know that the release of Mysteries of Westgate has been delayed because of ongoing development of a new security system. Near the end of MoW’s development last year, we realized that the traditional protection of the .exe file would not work with it so we scrambled to find a reliable commercial method that would do the job. At the time, there was no solution that met our requirements. That is why, since the end of 2007, Atari has been working hard to develop a new security system that can be used not just for MoW but for all Atari products that need protection for data files without using the traditional route of wrapping the .exe file. Unfortunately, developing this system has taken longer than we anticipated and MoW’s release has suffered as a result, because it is the first product that will use this new system.

Atari has been working closely with Obsidian and Ossian to try to integrate the new system with NWN2 and MoW specifically. Although we wanted the security modifications to go out with Update 1.12, it simply was not ready in time so we unfortunately had no choice but to push it into Update 1.13.

I realize that many of you are anxious to get your hands on Mysteries of Westgate, and I know from firsthand experience that it is a fantastic adventure. MoW has been ready to ship for a while now and we are close to finalizing the new security system that will ensure that it has its proper day in the sun. In the meantime, we are working hard to keep cool information about the game coming.

Games for Windows Magazine had a short review in its final issue, mentioning the $10 price point which has been confirmed since last year:

http://www.ossianstudios.com/
GFW said:
Mysteries of Westgate is as worthy of attention as Obsidian's great Mask of the Betrayer expansion from last year. It's no big surprise, as it was made by Ossian Studios (helmed by a former BioWare producer), who made the acclaimed Darkness Over Daggerford mod for NWN1 in 2006. Ossian delivers again with a great-looking and engaging 10-to-15-hour (depending on side quests) RPG that any D&D dork should feel right at home with. Well worth the $10 download.

etc.

duckroll

Holy shit! This is the real fucking deal. SoZ's engine upgrades are enormous and look as substantial and expansive as the improvements that MotB's engine upgrade brought. That's saying a lot, since MotB's upgrade actually made NWN2 playable. :lol

Obsidian :bow

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oooh, 4 custom characters + 2 story characters. The return of the 6 character party. Oh yes.

duckroll

cartman414 said:
No raised level cap though. Power multiclassers am cry.

They don't have to raise it. This isn't a continuation of NWN2 or MotB. It's a brand new story that takes place at the same time as MotB but somewhere else in the world. The level cap will be fitting for the campaign, so I don't see a problem with that at all.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
duckroll said:
They don't have to raise it. This isn't a continuation of NWN2 or MotB. It's a brand new story that takes place at the same time as MotB but somewhere else in the world. The level cap will be fitting for the campaign, so I don't see a problem with that at all.

He's talking about the contingent of folks who spend all day coming up with class/prc combinations for 3.5e. Raising the level cap to 40 would allow many more (insanely overpowered) configurations.

duckroll

EviLore said:
He's talking about the contingent of folks who spend all day coming up with class/prc combinations for 3.5e. Raising the level cap to 40 would allow many more (insanely overpowered) configurations.

Yeah but those people are already breaking the game by then. They can mod the game if they like and remove the cap themselves right? :)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
duckroll said:
Yeah but those people are already breaking the game by then. They can mod the game if they like and remove the cap themselves right? :)

AFAIK, right now it's sort of a hard limit. Regardless, not something I'm gonna whine about personally.

Breathing life into this topic because of this http://www.stolendroids.com/video-games/for-once-an-innovative-game

you did get to create a full party in ID and ID2. However, in those games, your additional party members were just mute clones who swung their swords and cast their spells while your main character did all the talking. In SoZ, any member of your custom party can contribute to character interaction at any given time. So your evil rogue might demand a helpless traveler’s money, only to get smacked upside the head by your lawful paladin.

So we get to choose a personality for them? Awesome, it's something from Wizardry 8 I've wanted to see evolved. At least that's the gist I got from it.

Llyranor

It's not like you think. Basically, while in conversation, you can pick anything of your characters and their dialogue choices will show up. In essense, click on the fighter and an Intimidate option might appear, or you might have a Diplomacy choice made available as the bard, etc. Essentially, all of your custom characters get to be involves in the conversation as the 'main character' at any time. I doubt they'll actually be interacting *with* each other.

Wiz8's personality system was awesome fun.

Llyranor said:
It's not like you think. Basically, while in conversation, you can pick anything of your characters and their dialogue choices will show up. In essense, click on the fighter and an Intimidate option might appear, or you might have a Diplomacy choice made available as the bard, etc. Essentially, all of your custom characters get to be involves in the conversation as the 'main character' at any time. I doubt they'll actually be interacting *with* each other.

Wiz8's personality system was awesome fun.
You see, that I already know. but from the way the preview words it makes it seem that the characters might interact with each other. Although IWD also did that, if you had a pally there were some cases where he would refuse a reward even if he was not the designated speaker.
I'll get the game either way but I was hoping this was more akin to Wizardry 8 to be honest.

Minsc

Gold Member
EviLore said:

Well, I apologize to Tokubetsu (and everyone else) and have no choice but to don the 'I'm a fool' shirt. Could have sworn it was going to be another case like Darkness over Daggerford for NWN.

Tokubetsu

I really wish we had some sort of general purpose NWN thread or PC RPG thread. So many questions I'd like to ask etc while im playing through NWN2 (or atleast trying to..for the 2nd time) but I don't feel making ANOTHER nwn2 thread would be appropriate.

butsomuch

IGN hands-on preview
Gamespot interview

Death and dying in Storm of Zehir is closer to the original 3.5 rules, with some 4.0 augmentations. When a party member falls below zero hit points, they begin dying, bleeding out until they are stabilized with healing. If a dying party member's hit points fall to negative half their total hit points, then they will die (if they have 40 hit points, they die at -20). Once dead, they can be brought back to life with a raise dead or resurrect spell, or with a coin of life, a special item purchased from temples of Waukeen, goddess of wealth. If you don't have any of these handy, then you can take your fallen party member to a temple to have their life restored.

In addition to this, we've also done a lot of other things to make combat more enjoyable in Storm of Zehir. With the incorporation of community member Tony K's AI scripts, along with our own special touches, we have greatly improved our artificial intelligence, so that your party members and monsters alike will be...well, less artificial, more intelligent. Resting is more meaningful, because now you must either pay to rent a room at an inn, or brave making camp on the Overland map, where you are likely to be ambushed while you sleep. Finally, we have put a lot of forethought into the individual combat encounters themselves--something that will become abundantly clear from the beginning of the game, where you face off with that tribe of menacing Batiri I mentioned earlier.

With the additions of "real" death, less artificial and more intelligent AI, realistic restrictions on resting, and meticulously designed encounters, battling monsters in Storm of Zehir is the most fun you will have yet in a Dungeons and Dragons game.

neverwinter-nights-2-storm-of-zehir-20081007031906223.jpg

With the incorporation of community member Tony K's AI scripts, along with our own special touches, we have greatly improved our artificial intelligence, so that your party members and monsters alike will be...well, less artificial, more intelligent.
That's the best news ever, playing the original with the Tony K mod is like a whole different game.

Top Bottom