• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redesigned 8-bit and 16-bit games (Some unbelievable!)

Enk

makes good threads.
Castlevania 2 Remix
Hack of: Simon's Quest: Castlevania 2
Category: Complete reworking
Patch link: HERE

Like Castlevania Remix this is an extensive reworking of the game's style and world. This is for those who have played Simon's Quest to death and are looking for something a bit new. Personally, whille the game looks stylistic, I think Castlevania Remix pulled the idea off better.

14.png
16.png

18.png
24.png

25.png
27.png

Rock Man 2 Dash
Hack of: Rock Man 2
Category: Complete reworking/Tough but fair

A decently designed, complete reworking of the Japanese version of Mega Man 2. Levels and music are styled after the first Mega Man but the level layouts are completely new. The game so far appears to fall in the tough but fair category.

54.png
55.png

57.png
61.png

65.png
70.png

Rock Man 3 Alpha
Hack of: Rock Man 3
Category: Level rework/Tough but fair

A rare but good complete level hack of Rock Man 3 done by the same fellow who did Rock Man 2 Dash. Like Dash the stages are pretty well designed and tough. Fans of the slide should give this a shot.

36.png
38.png

42.png
40.png

45.png
51.png

Zelda Outlands
Hack of: Legend of Zelda
Category: Complete rework/Tough

Here's yet another game reworking. I've been playing this one on and off for the past couple of weeks now and find it quite good. Graphics and world have been completely revamped and the puzzles are quite tough.

stepladr.gif
blocks33.gif

blocks13.gif
snowymtn.gif

4.png
blocks34.gif

Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link Part 2 and 3
Hack of: Zelda 2
Category: EDIT: It's been moved into the crap hack category!
Patch link:Both parts HERE

Here is the only real reworking of Zelda 2 I could dig up. While the level design from what I've played could be questionable in terms difficulty, this may be the only way Zelda 2 fans can play more of it. It comes in two parts and have heard that the design for Part 3 is improved over 2's.

900.png
34.png

35.png
Image2-2.gif

Image3-2.gif
Image1-1.gif

Enk said:
Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link Part 2 and 3
Hack of: Zelda 2
Category: World rework/Questionably tough difficulty
Patch link:Both parts HERE

Here is the only real reworking of Zelda 2 I could dig up. While the level design from what I've played could be questionable in terms difficulty, this may be the only way Zelda 2 fans can play more of it. It comes in two parts and have heard that the design for Part 3 is improved over 2's.
If by "questionable" difficulty you mean "retarded," then yeah, that would describe it. I remember right at the beginning of the part 2 hack you can cross a bridge area consisting of 1 block wide platforms while those fucking bubbles keep coming up from the water to knock you down... Okay not terribly hard to get through regardless, but good luck going back, you immediately fall to your death upon entering that area from the other side. I stopped playing right there.

It's really a shame... The only romhacks I could ever find for Zelda 2 are retarded difficulty hacks, joke hacks and graphics hacks that make it look worse. And even sadder, the only editors that I know of is one incredibly outdated dos-based program and one seemingly good but Mac OS only editor, so it doesn't look like there will be much in the future either.

Enk

makes good threads.
Castlevania Fan Edition
Hack of: Castlevania
Category: Complete reworking\Mild difficulty
Video link: HERE
Patch link: nope, gotta find it yourself

Here is a complete hack of the original Castlevania done by the same guy who did Castlevania Remix. Graphics are taken from across the NES series and the music has been rearranged. From what I've played the level design seems pretty straight forward with some light difficulty. Might be some fun for ya old school whipper snappers.

3-1.png
13.png

7.png
9.png

12.png
15.png

Castlevania Chorus of Mysteries
Hack of: Castlevania
Category: Complete reworking/Mild to tough difficulty
Video link: HERE and HERE

This hack completely redoes all the graphics, music and stage designs of the original Castlevania. It's almost like a completely new game. Even though I feel the music is lacking and the character sprites are a bit too colorful, there's a lot of effort that went into this so I thought I would give it a mention.

18-1.png
19.png

21.png
263screenshot2.png

263screenshot3.png
263screenshot4.png

Final Fantasy ++
Hack of: Final Fantasy
Category: Complete reworking/expansion/reimagining

A very impressive hack of Final Fanasty in which redoes all the graphics, adds/changes areas, new enemies, weapons, classes, tunes, etc. Definitely a hack for them IRONMEN Final Fantasy players who are looking for some more fill for one of their favorite games.

32-1.gif
Image5-4.gif

Image4-2.gif
Image6-2.gif

Image7-3.gif
33-1.png

Final Fantasy ++ World of Chaos
Hack of: Final Fantasy
Category: Complete reworking/expansion

Somewhat of a sequel to Final Fantasy ++ with new locations, enemies, harder difficulty, etc. The creator considers this to be his tribute to the classic Square.

113screenshot1.png

113screenshot3.png

Enk

makes good threads.
NinjaFromTheFuture said:
If by "questionable" difficulty you mean "retarded," then yeah, that would describe it. I remember right at the beginning of the part 2 hack you can cross a bridge area consisting of 1 block wide platforms while those fucking bubbles keep coming up from the water to knock you down... Okay not terribly hard to get through regardless, but good luck going back, you immediately fall to your death upon entering that area from the other side. I stopped playing right there.

It's really a shame... The only romhacks I could ever find for Zelda 2 are retarded difficulty hacks, joke hacks and graphics hacks that make it look worse. And even sadder, the only editors that I know of is one incredibly outdated dos-based program and one seemingly good but Mac OS only editor, so it doesn't look like there will be much in the future either.

Yeah I know. It's unfortunate that this is the closest thing that I could find for a complete Zelda 2 hack. In the right hands they could really do something special with the Zelda 2 engine. They could possibly rework the game's design to make it feel more like the other Zelda games. I wonder if there is a Zelda 2 editor floating around that I can look at.

nincompoop said:
How is that any better? It still has the same visibility issues as the official version. I guess the official version had a bunch of other problems, but Sonic 1 isn't going to be playable with that much of the screen chopped regardless.

The official port is lazy and half-assed. They butchered all the music and sounds, did an awful port of the game mechanics (the coding equivalent of listening to a song on the radio for 30 seconds and trying to play the whole thing by ear), and even ported in Sonic sprites from animated GIFs (some of Sonic's animations have pointless dithering on them).

Stealth's Sonic 1 GBA port, on the other hand, is pretty much a 1:1 conversion of the Sega Genesis game - the way it should have been in the first place. Pretty much the only thing that isn't a 1:1 conversion of Sonic 1 are the music and sounds - those are simply PCM WAV files rather than sound emulation.

Edit: Man, all these Castlevania Hacks make me think of a Castlevania fangame that needs to get finished...

Some fantastic suggestions Enk. I'm starting to run dry now with hacks and redesigns to mention, though there are still one or two more to cover. To all posters, we've done a great job creating a resource here, its nice to have these fantastic games proclaimed outside of the rom-hacking communities.

Sciz said:

This video is not just a testament to the awfulness of Sonic Genesis GBA, it's a testament to how far Sega have fallen. They can't even make the main character run fucking forwards in their oldest, most cherished game.

They need to chose a new direction to fall in, because I'm not sure it is possible to go down any further without changing the fundemental laws of the universe.

harSon

Banned
I'm looking to play one of these, out of the games listed, which do you think is the most polished and similar to what I'd expect of a retail product?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
beelzebozo said:
i'm curious if that super metroid redesign is quality.

It's tough, but fair. And I don't mean just in the sense that the enemies have jacked up health (which is true, admittedly) or respawn more often (also true). But even the platforming and overall environmental navigation has been deliciously juiced up.

Even empty, filler rooms have been converted and require more skill. Lots of plain-jane every-day platforms require more precise running and jumping skills... not just to get those out of reach energy tanks and ammo expansions, but just to get from one part of the room to the other.

My favorite part of any Metroid game lies in the environmental navigation and puzzle solving, not really in the combat. To that end, almost every room in Super Metroid Redesign (and they're all new, btw) is more memorable simply because it's more challenging to traverse.

Not ridiculously so, but enough that you need to at least pay attention to where you are before you make that leap.

The game even adds some new moves not originally in SMet, and makes some powers that you had started off with before (such as the wall jumping) a stand-alone power that needs to be found, first.

Everything about SMetR has been very carefully and meticulously redesigned. It's a much tougher game than before, but also very different, and as rewarding.

dacuk

jooey said:
Do you have to write about every one of these as if they're the Greatest Thing Ever?

Complain when you do something like it.
I think this is not your kind of thread, buddy.

One of the best threads I've read at NeoGAF.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mejilan said:
It's tough, but fair. And I don't mean just in the sense that the enemies have jacked up health (which is true, admittedly) or respawn more often (also true). But even the platforming and overall environmental navigation has been deliciously juiced up.

Even empty, filler rooms have been converted and require more skill. Lots of plain-jane every-day platforms require more precise running and jumping skills... not just to get those out of reach energy tanks and ammo expansions, but just to get from one part of the room to the other.

My favorite part of any Metroid game lies in the environmental navigation and puzzle solving, not really in the combat. To that end, almost every room in Super Metroid Redesign (and they're all new, btw) is more memorable simply because it's more challenging to traverse.

Not ridiculously so, but enough that you need to at least pay attention to where you are before you make that leap.

The game even adds some new moves not originally in SMet, and makes some powers that you had started off with before (such as the wall jumping) a stand-alone power that needs to be found, first.

Everything about SMetR has been very carefully and meticulously redesigned. It's a much tougher game than before, but also very different, and as rewarding.

awesome reply for what seems like a very awesome game. going to check it out immediately.

Enk

makes good threads.
harSon said:
I'm looking to play one of these, out of the games listed, which do you think is the most polished and similar to what I'd expect of a retail product?

Most of the ones being listed are in playabale form, meaning there's rarely if not any gamebreaking flaws or cases of stupidly cheap difficulty. Here's the following that I've played in which I've run into some big flaws:

Extra Mario- There's several areas in which if you don't have the right item you willget stuck and have to force yourself to die. Still worth a playthrough.

Mega Man Deus Ex Machima- Several levels have moments of cheap difficulty.

LoZ:parallel Worlds- Nothing too major but the saving function seems to be broken. Use the savestate instead.

Zelda 2: Part 2- As stated above, very questionable difficulty.

Castlevania Remix-Enemies and candles can be hard (sometimes hidden) to see at times.

New Suggestions:

Mega Man Ultra
Hack of: Mega Man 2
Category: Complete hack\Mild and Tough difficulties (with innovative CHEAT! option)
Video link: HERE

OH MY GOD! Not another Mega Man 2 hack! Yeah well, a lot of us can't get enough of these especially if they're good. Here is another popular Mega Man 2 hack that supposedly ties up some loose ends with the MM and MMX seires, but who cares about that, how's the hack? Pretty damn enjoyable. Imaginative and fair level design, good music remixes, adjustable difficulty levels and several suprises. Mega Man Ultra is also home to a sickingly awesome Gutsman/Fireman remix (heard on Metal Man's stage). Also be aware that you can destroy the metal crushers in this game.

47.png
48-1.png

39-1.png
42-1.png

21-1.png
40-1.png

Ultra Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Hack of: A good Lucas Arts' game
Category:Level hack\Mild to tough difficulty
Video link: HERE and HERE

Know the layouts of the 50+ stages in ZAMN? Well here's another 50+ to keep you and you zombie squirting friend entertained!

zamn1.gif
zamn2.gif

zamn3.gif
zamn4.gif

Enk said:
Yeah I know. It's unfortunate that this is the closest thing that I could find for a complete Zelda 2 hack. In the right hands they could really do something special with the Zelda 2 engine. They could possibly rework the game's design to make it feel more like the other Zelda games. I wonder if there is a Zelda 2 editor floating around that I can look at.

Word * infinity.

If people are still working with the decidedly perfunctory Zelda 1 engine, I don't see why this can't happen.

1up

Man, everytime I patch Metriod Redesign it either breaks zsnes (crash to desktop) or just doesnt work.

Wurm

Banned
Sega1991 said:
Dudez, I mentioned a few pages ago that Sonic Nexus was going to have a new demo soon.

It's out.

http://nexus.hrook.net/

Good stuff, all told.

If only it didnt have that bleeeurgh awful flash animation hack-job of the Sonic CD intro before it and midi wank, it would be pretty swish. I enjoyed the "level gimmicks", the glider and the swing U-bends though. Could do with some more mixed up level graphics or something to diffrentiate it between "Isnt this...just Sonic CD again..." but beggars cant be choosers in the Sonic community. Also, it probably wont ever see full completion.

Enk

makes good threads.
Editor Recommendations

In hopes of switching on the bulbs on some aspiring young minds out there, here's a couple of editor suggestions for you to pick at.

MegaFLE
What games: Mega Man 3, 4, 5 and 6
Editor link: HERE

Here's one I'm slowly learning. I'm dying to make a game based off of Mega Man V and here's the editor I'm liking the best so far. There's another editor I'm looking at called Visine which is an MM2 editor used by the creator of Mega Man Ultra. I'll let you all know how that one is when I get a chance.

Level Editor
mega2.gif

Tile editor
Mega.gif

Eiditroid and Metedit
What game: Metroid
Editor links: Editroid and Metedit

These two I'm getting the hang of. I use Metedit as it's easier to construct the levels with and Editroid for the tiny details. You could pretty much only use Editroid for the hacking but I find Metedit easier for manuevering around levels. Word of warning: Metroid has certain rules one must follow in order to make a workable hack. Thing's like being aware of how you place your items (can only be placed in horizontal rooms). Be sure to read the instructions of course.

Editroid's level editor
metroid2-2.gif

Editroid's tile editor
metroid.gif

My early level working:

19-1.png

I'll post some more suggestions later on.

Mejilan

1up said:
Man, everytime I patch Metriod Redesign it either breaks zsnes (crash to desktop) or just doesnt work.

The SMetR website hosts two patches. One for the headered ROM, one for the unheadered ROM. Make sure you're applying the right patch.

Enk

makes good threads.
Patch Suggestions: Metroid Editon

For those who like Samus old and crusty here's three patches (out of the countless numbers I've tried) that I find to be good. Keep in mind I haven't done a full play through of these so if you find a dead end or major flaw let me know.

Metroid Challenge
Hack of: Metroid
Category: Complete reworking\Tough but fair from what I've played
Patch link: Got to find on your own!

The only Metroid hack I could find that not only changes the game's look but did so without graphical glitches or cheap hits.

49.png
50.png

51-1.png
52.png

Metroid X
Category: World hack\About the same Metroid challenge

Here's a Metroid hack that I grew pretty fond of. The world's style is simple but effective. Nothing seems over repitious or stupidly hard. I also like that it could take a while before you even get the ball form.

53.png
54-1.png

58.png
metroidx3.gif

Metroid Deluxe
Category: World hack\Similar difficulty

One of them acclaimed patches that peeps keep tallking about. The creator claims that there are no dead ends and that he thoroughly tested the game. I haven't played far enough to prove him wrong but it seems good so far. Try it and see if he lives up to his word.

metdeluxetitle.png
metdeluxe4.png

metdeluxe1.png
metdeluxe3.png

These are the three out of who knows how many patches I've tried. If I hit an obvious dead end or cheap hits then I discared them from the list. Here's some of the others I tried.

Metroid Genocide: Highly acclaimed complete overhaul of Metroid with one fatal error, it's got some ugly graphical glitching especially with the main character.

Samus: Mother Brain's Revenge: I initially liked it's vibrant, Speccy color tones until I hit a dead end I couldn't get out of.

Metroid Master- Unavoidable attacks and some bad design repitition.

Final Fantasy Chaos Realm- Bad hack bad!!! Go sit in the corner until you vanish into digital nothingness.

Metroid: Wart's Revenge- Could've been nifty... but no.

Metroid Revenge- From the very moment it began I knew it was going to be shit

Metroid Omega- Yay graphic's change! Boo cheap hits!

Metroid Invasion, Metroid Revenge- Don't remember what it was but I'm sure it was awful.

I vote Enk be made the new king of this thread because he'll actually link to the patches for the cool shit being pimped within.

Great stuff all around being shown off in here, I'll probably compile a list of stuff to try out in a few days.

Mejilan

beelzebozo said:
will super metroid redesign run in snes9x? i'm trying to get it to run on wii homebrew.

It runs on the PSP version of SNES9x, so I would imagine so.

Enk

makes good threads.
charlequin said:
I vote Enk be made the new king of this thread because he'll actually link to the patches for the cool shit being pimped within.

Great stuff all around being shown off in here, I'll probably compile a list of stuff to try out in a few days.

I wanted to make a thread dealing with romhacks a while back but opted not too due to the subject matter. So major props to Mama Robotnik for having the cajones I didn't have! Maybe in the future I'll recreate this thread so that the opening page can have all the suggestions listed.

I occassioanlly spend some time testing out what hacks I can in search of hidden gems. People keep clammering for new old games and when they see something like Mega Man 9 they become estactic, when in reality there's new games being made of the classics all the time. If you dig deep enough you will eventually find a patch that's filled with enough love that it become worthy of the game's moniker (and in some cases surpassing the original's design).

People seem to avoid hacks because they've been given a bad name. They have evey right to think that since the hacking community is swamped with trash. Afro Mario, Nude Samus, Dick Tales, uh, no thanks. That's the dark side of of the patches. The great thing about this thread is that most of these suggestions are the cream of the crop, the good ones created by love and effort (except for Mega Man Deus Ex Machima and the Zelda 2 one, sorry about that). In the meantime I'll contuinue to keep my suggestions as clean as possible to keep people interested in this side of gaming.

/ramble

beelzebozo said:
will super metroid redesign run in snes9x? i'm trying to get it to run on wii homebrew.

I've had no luck applying the SMW patches and getting them to work in SNES9xGX. They work fine in SNES9x on my Mac though. I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong though.

Mejilan

Enk, your dedication is much appreciated. You and Mama Robotnik created one of the best threads here on Gaming side in ages. (Edit - No pun intended.)

beelzebozo said:
okay, wow. my first impression of this is really good. thanks again for the help.

Super Metroid Redesign is simply fantastic.

Enk

makes good threads.
Mejilan said:
Enk, your dedication is much appreciated. You and Mama Robotnik created one of the best threads here on Gaming side in ages. (Edit - No pun intended.)
Many thanks! I like to do what I can to give these lesser known creations some light.

Quickie Review:

Super Metroid Golden Dawn

I'm not going to fully recommend this newly release hack yet since I don't know how I quite feel about it. Right off the bat the game requires you to know wall jumping. It was neat to include that in the escape segment but the more I play the more he seems to heavily rely on it.

Some of the early puzzles had me a bit stumped but when I figured out the solutions I was a little bit annoyed by the answers due to the overlapping tile trickery he likes to use. There's also an area involving a crumbling bridge in which if you fall through, you will have to trek back through the map just to get back to where you were.

Game currently falls under "could potentially be okay but has many annoying design choices" category. Nowhere near the quality of Super Metroid Redesign. I'll give it another shot tomorrow and see if it gets any better. I also found the rare Metroid Ice patch(pictured below) which I'll also dive into tomorrow.

SuperMetroidIce_00002.jpg

Speaking of which:

Coming Soon!!! (maybe)

Super Metroid: Aegis
Release date: This fall?
Creator's Blog: HERE
Videos: Trailer, Final Trailer and First Boss

Here's a Super Metroid revamp that could give Redesign some competition for the King of SM hacks. All new areas, graphics and some gameplay changes here and there. I'll just let the videos do the talking.

Image10-1.gif
Image12.gif

Image4-3.gif
Image8-3.gif

Image6-3.gif
Image2-3.gif

Editor Recommendations

SMILE
What game: Super Metroid
Tutorial video: HERE
Editor link: HERE

Haven't meesed around with this yet but it is considered to be one of the top SNES game editors out there. So if you think you can create a better game than Golden Dawn up there then take your best shot with this!

sola00.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Any word on any of these 8bit/16bit games being hacked for 2 player simultaneous co-op play? Would love love LOVE to be able to play

Mario World
Super Mario 1,2 or 3
Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Castlevania SotN

.....with 2player coop.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
That's realer than real.

Ya I love this stuff, its always been awesome to play 'new' versions of my old favs, feels like lost levels sorta thing.

What is the best way to play the Mega CD version of Sonic 1 Megamix other than hooking up my Mega CD? Does it run on the PSP emulator by any chance?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
super metroid redesign is not unlike an ice cream sandwich you take out of the freezer and let sit on the counter for ten minutes before eating: not too hard, not too soft, and full of rich creamy rewards for those who engage them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone try the Sonic 2 Advanced Edit hack? There's only three zones included, but they are really nicely designed and feature some beautiful new tile sets. The third zone in particular is quite lovely.

rrz1.PNG
ngz1.PNG

It really does almost feel like a real Sonic game (a new title). Very impressive.

Conrad Link said:
Ya I love this stuff, its always been awesome to play 'new' versions of my old favs, feels like lost levels sorta thing.

What is the best way to play the Mega CD version of Sonic 1 Megamix other than hooking up my Mega CD? Does it run on the PSP emulator by any chance?
I use Kega on my PC with a gamepad, but then again, I have my PC running to my HDTV and a wireless 360 pad attached to it. Most other options aren't going to run as well.

camineet

Banned
ugh the boot said:
Camineet - Hang on a sec....>WTF!??!!?!?! Where did you find that?!?!? Arrgghh I need another Ghouls and Ghosts (and not the Psp one) badly!! Look at that gorgeous 2d art!!! Arrrgggh stupid Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins!!!!

Why world?!?!?! WhhhyyYyyhhyy

I want another Ghouls N Ghosts as well, but this was not Ghouls n Ghosts, it was a remake of the first game Ghosts 'N Goblins for PS1. It was previewed in all or most of the major game magazines and websites in the late 90s when it was announced & in development.

preview
http://www.emuviews.com/cgi-local/show.cgi?SERIAL=1110&LANG=en_US

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm9Ko6VaLMY

but one last time, it was canceled, never came out. I have no idea if a ROM or ISO or whatever exists.

camineet

Banned
Fantasy Zone II The Tears of ***-***

Try to bear with me as I attempt to explain this as best I can...

Fantasy Zone II was originally made for 8-bit Sega Master System console in 1987, then ported to Sega's 8-bit Master System-based System-E arcade board in 1987 or 1988. Several versions exist.

Now remade in 2006-2008 for the 16-bit System 16 architecture of 1986
(in emulation environment on PS2) released on PS2 September 11, 2008
in Japan, available only on Sega Ages 2500 Volume 33: Fantasy Zone Complete Collection.

jarosh

camineet said:
I want another Ghouls N Ghosts as well, but this was not Ghouls n Ghosts, it was a remake of the first game Ghosts 'N Goblins for PS1. It was previewed in all or most of the major game magazines and websites in the late 90s when it was announced & in development.

preview
http://www.emuviews.com/cgi-local/show.cgi?SERIAL=1110&LANG=en_US

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm9Ko6VaLMY

but one last time, it was canceled, never came out. I have no idea if a ROM or ISO or whatever exists.
just watched that video. gee, i'm glad it was canceled.

Enk

makes good threads.
Yeah the Ghost and Goblin's game looks pretty awful in motion. Still, the GnG fan in me would love to try it out. Hmm...I wonder if anyone has made some good hack of Ghouls n' Ghosts (or Super for that matter). In fact, in my years of playing hacks I don't think I've ever come across any! I think I might do it bit of digging and see what I can find.

Oh and I tried that Sonic Pixel Perfect patch this morning and HOLY $#!T it was awesome! Can't believe I never noticed this one before. I loved Megamix (despite its glitchiness) and Delta but this is ranking as my favorite Sonic hack so far. Beautiful level design, fair challenge, fun little changes to the first boss battle, spin dash, and gorgeous sprite redesigns. Great, great example of how to do and expansion hack.

EDIT: Sorry guys/gals, updates are going to be slow for the next few days. Started back at work today so I'll do what I can. Loaded up the PSP with hacks so I'll be perusing through those when I can (starting with Zelda 2 Part 3 just to see if it's any better than Part 2).

Enk

makes good threads.
Couldn't find any Ghouls n' Ghosts hacks. Kinda suprised given the following GnG has and the amount of portential of what you can do with the source material.

Quickie Reviews:

Zelda II: Part 3 Easy version- Here's a list of descriptions on Zelda II Part 3. Try an figure out where the game went wrong!
-Non linear World
-Mildly improved level design over part 2
-1 hit point
-Random enemy encounters
-Unavoidable attacks
-Floors you shouldn't be falling through

Mega Man C4- Renowned for being the first major complete Mega Man 4 hack. Too bad the first stage I chose was as glitchy and broken as a Titus game.

Random Mega Man 4 hack- I don't know where it came from, what its name is, or how it snuck into my collection. Being a rare Mega Man 4 hack I had to give it a shot. But instead of being the mysterious savior I was hoping for, it was like the creepy hobo who snuck into my fridge to steal my food. Difference is this hobo stole life, my precious life, but I won't waste your time describing how shit this game really is.

Mega Man Deus Ex Machima- I'll explain my problem with this hack in a picture:
74.png

Mega Man Kai- I'm so conflicted on this one. It's a Mega Man 1 hack from the same mastermind behind Rock Man 2 Dash and Rock Man 3 Alpha. For the first three stages I picked I was really fucking loving it. The stages were very well designed and very comperable to the original game in terms of quality. Then Fire Man's stage came and I fell through the damn floor and into a fiery pit. I thought "okay, maybe I'll help the guy out and fix this part of the level 'cause I really like this hack", then Elec Man's stage came. Unfortunately his stage had an even worse design flaw where you were stuck in three freaking rooms you couldn't escape from! I still might go in and fix things up if I can.

Mega Man 2 Exhaust- No problems here yet! In fact don't be suprised if you find me suggesting this tomorrow.

Editor Suggestions

Lunar Magic
What Game- Super Mario All Stars & World
Tutorial Video- HERE
Where to find- HERE

The crown jewel of SNES editors. Can't really give this enough praise as it's a work of art and all game engine hackers should look at this as an inspiration on how to handle their utilities.

Level Editor
demo.gif

World Editor
over.gif

Sprite Editor
sprites.gif

Enk said:
Zelda II: Part 3 Easy version- Here's a list of descriptions on Zelda II Part 3. Try an figure out where the game went wrong!
-1 hit point
-Random enemy encounters
-Unavoidable attacks
-Floors you shouldn't be falling through

Demerit, demerit, demerit!!! (The random enemy encounter thing violates one thing I liked about the Zelda II overhead map system.)

* sigh *

What will it take for a good Zelda II hack? Or better yet, a Zelda II hacker program?

JRPereira

Enk said:
Editor Suggestions

Lunar Magic
What Game- Super Mario All Stars & World
Tutorial Video- HERE
Where to find- HERE

The crown jewel of SNES editors. Can't really give this enough praise as it's a work of art and all game engine hackers should look at this as an inspiration on how to handle their utilities.

Level Editor
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/SamSawyr/Happy Fun/demo.gif

World Editor
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/SamSawyr/Happy Fun/over.gif

Sprite Editor
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/SamSawyr/Happy Fun/sprites.gif

Lunar magic rocks. So easy to use. Made a test level pretty much effortlessly.

Here's a video from one of the earlier versions of the level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWzPFF3PHYI

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GAF should use Lunar Magic to make our own SMW romhack! Trying to stay true to SMW, and not putting in any of that crazy bullshit.

Just a SMW level pack, basically.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GDJustin said:
GAF should use Lunar Magic to make our own SMW romhack! Trying to stay true to SMW, and not putting in any of that crazy bullshit.

Just a SMW level pack, basically.
I would love to do work on something like that. I did a bunch of levels a few years back and, like you suggest, went purely for Mario style levels rather than throwing in a bunch of random shit. I don't know how easy it would be for multiple people to work on a single file, though. :\

Top Bottom