• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE account suspended due to problem with payment option. WTF?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried to sign on and it is displaying this error.
I'm told to either choose a different payment option or update my current information in account management.

But when I go to update profile it says I need to be signed in.
Is there a way to take care of this from the xboxlive website?
What exactly is the problem? I just renewed my subscription about three weeks ago.

goldenpp72

I had this problem once when my credit card expired and there was no way to fix it without calling them.. asking for a supervisor made it painless.

Meier

saunderez said:
Try doing it at billing.microsoft.com
Secure Connection Failed

billing.microsoft.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

* This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error may be temporary, and you can try again later.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
fernoca said:
  • Xbox.com
  • Sign-in with your Live ID
  • Manage profile
  • Payment options

I see billing and contact information.
When I click on that it just gives me the address and phone number/name on the account....
The thing is there is nothing wrong with the credit card numbers...

Meier said:
Secure Connection Failed

* This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error may be temporary, and you can try again later.

... could this be part of my problem?

saunderez

Meier said:
Secure Connection Failed

Works fine for me under Firefox. It has no problem verifying the certificate is from Microsoft Corporation and verified by Verisign. Just checked then.

Meier

saunderez said:
Works fine for me under Firefox. It has no problem verifying the certificate is from Microsoft Corporation and verified by Verisign. Just checked then.
That error was from Firefox for me (FF3... are you using 2?). Thought it was kind of amusing is all.

Oddly enough, I got a security certificate error when checking on my account with IE too (when checking the status of my Credit Card that is associated with the account).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ungh, I just called them and got no where.
I can't find the CC info on the xbl website either. Call me retarded but I don't see it. even under contact/billing info.

They also havent sent me an email about anything.

Wait.... I'm starting to seriously get freaked out.
I can't sign into account.live.com

it keeps saying I have the wrong password, my secret question isnt what i remember it being, and i dont receive the password reset email.

fernoca

If you can manage to log-in into that 'billing.microsoft' website, it shows any problem it may have and the reason the account was suspended. Maybe the payment wa denied by the credit card or something.

Happened to me, with my previous account..
Thing was that I couldn't update the credit card info, since the site said that the new credit card was apparently not valid..so they ended cancelling my account, and me losing my Gamertag/score, Live Arcade games/content.....

Created a new account, with just prepaid cards..no credit card..ever again. :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
no, nothing like that

ive actually changed my password a lot and its a mix of symbols and numbers and letters
i dont know if thats what happened though.. i got the email confirming my points purchases for castle crashers this morning.. i also checked through and the last password reset email i got was on july 23rd.. so im definitely checking the right email for that.

Kusagari

saunderez said:
Try doing it at billing.microsoft.com

Do this. This happened to me once cause MS won't let you delete cards and Xbox live renewed on one that I don't have anymore. I just changed the card and it worked.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, my account wasn't hijacked.

I have 3 credit cards on my account.

1 of them is long expired. (Dad's credit card I registered with originally way back in 04)
My Debit Card.
My moms credit card. (she recently paid my yearly fee just to be nice)

I renewed my account on August 2nd.
It went through, I got the email, my mother told me it did.
So, everything should have been fine for another year.

Well, I finally got signed into billing.microsoft.com.
It says I have an payment that didn't go through for another gold membership.
I look at the thing and it's been trying to charge it all month!
Picture1-26.png

But I already bought a new yearly subscription with a different credit card!
Why is it trying to charge me again on a different one that hasn't been used in ages?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I just fixed it. :D
Feel free to make fun of me for freaking out.

Jtwo said:

1 of them is long expired. (Dad's credit card I registered with originally way back in 04)
My Debit Card.

Picture1-26.png

Why is it trying to charge me again on a different one that hasn't been used in ages?
it probably declined it because it wasn't the valid card at the time, it most likely didn't even try to charge the card. paypal gives me this crap all the time.

fernoca

Jtwo said:

My Debit Card.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o177/dvasj2/Picture1-26.png

Hmm..
Kinda similar to what happened to me..
Only that suspecting that, I put the renewal option at $7.99..
They tried to charge the $7.99 and ended cancelling the account because I never paid the $7.99...remember someone around here that went through the same, and it wasn't till he paid it, that they stopped trying to charge him..

So, you better call them, in this case..it's the only way they are going to stop trying to charge the $49.99...again.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I think that's what happened.
I entered in the new card expecting it to just automatically use the one that is actually valid.
I then bought a point bundle with it.

Then a day later I got an email from xbox live and barely even looked at it thinking it was the confirmation email, but I just searched through gmail and it was actually an email saying the card was declined! I didn't know I had to go to the website and manually transfer service over to the new one. :lol :lol :lol :lol \

Xbox Live is by no means a perfect system, but this time it was most definitely user error.

LogicStep

Bumping this because the same thing happened to me. Except I don't want to renew, I want to change to a silver account and I can't find the damn option anywhere. All I see is to add a new payment option but no way to remove the old one and go silver...

Zomba13

zazrx said:
Bumping this because the same thing happened to me. Except I don't want to renew, I want to change to a silver account and I can't find the damn option anywhere. All I see is to add a new payment option but no way to remove the old one and go silver...
You have to call them up to do that. No option to do so on the site or the console.

Very very stupid isn't it?

madmook

There should be some sort of public service announcement to warn people against attaching a credit card to buy Live. I've heard so many horror stories. I've only ever used subscription cards.

I managed to get a Live renewal for 1 dollar for 1 month.........after doing that I was able to set my account to not auto-renew at full price.........blew my mind as that option is not available any other time

Heysoos

zazrx said:

I don't mean to sound like an ass here, but this issue USUALLY only happens after you kept using Gold subscription without paying. Microsoft has this grace period where after your membership runs out and if your information/credit card/etc is out of date, you can keep using their service. They send you an email letting you know that your info was out of date and to update it, but usually you can keep playing during this grace period. (I think they even give you a chance to go to silver during this period, but don't quote me on that.) However, technically you should be in your next month of service, which you haven't paid for.

The easiest way to get rid of this issue is.. updating your info and paying for that month. This sounds harsh, and I don't particularly like the way Microsoft handles it, but if you set it to auto renew, the user really has to be on top of this. Again this should ONLY happen if you have auto-renew on. That said, a quick call to Microsoft support will typically fix this if you explain your situation. Hope you get your issue fixed.

Top Bottom