• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing New Far Cry 2 Gameplay Videos

bee

comedy a.i but sure looks nice, if this is the console version aka pc on medium/high then show some footage of the pc on ultra high dx10 dammit!

Dibbz

Looks awesome, but can anyone confirm if there was framerate drops through the videos. I watched the sunset video and the framerate was dropping occasionally. Not sure if it's just my computer, the video or the actual game.

FFChris

Warm Machine said:
Fingers crossed about this. The Leizig demo was one of the worst things I played at the show. I want this to be awesome.

How come? That's really sad to hear. From the videos in the OP the game looks good graphically and has fantastic atmosphere and sound effects. I don't like the health system, and the A.I seemed a little dumb though. What was wrong with the Leipzig demo?

slider

dLMN8R said:
Still waiting for reviews. My PAX impressions left me with an immensely bad feeling about this game.

Can you explain further pretty please? Only because, from what I've seen, I've been very interested.

EDIT: Also what FFChris said.

newsguy

dLMN8R said:
Still waiting for reviews. My PAX impressions left me with an immensely bad feeling about this game.

Elaborate? I had this on my radar, but if the gameplay is shoddy there are plenty of bigger games I need to save money for.

newsguy said:
Elaborate? I had this on my radar, but if the gameplay is shoddy there are plenty of bigger games I need to save money for.
DL mentions the horrid AI in the game and some of the player mechanics such as healing yourself and repairing the car that get in the way of the game.

Kibbles

VictimOfGrief said:
DL mentions the horrid AI in the game and some of the player mechanics such as healing yourself and repairing the car that get in the way of the game.
Healing is not that bad. It auto-regenerates unless the full bar goes down, then all you have to do is stick a needle in yourself. After you run out of needles or you get in a serious injury then you have to perform first aid. Seems pretty cool to me.

FFChris

Kibbles said:
Healing is not that bad. It auto-regenerates unless the full bar goes down, then all you have to do is stick a needle in yourself. After you run out of needles or you get in a serious injury then you have to perform first aid. Seems pretty cool to me.

I watched a firefight video a while back and the guy was needling himself every 10 seconds or so. Looked a little silly for a game that's trying really hard to be realistic.

dLMN8R

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333486

In short, absolutey terrible AI in a game that's all about interesting AI confrontations, a possible collectathon throughout the huge world, and other potential problems involving story progression and such. The graphics are nice, but not great. And a reliable person on another message board has talked about certain possible end-game issues:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12684512&postcount=59

All, of course, impressions formed based on pre-release code, but nonetheless code that the demonstrater at PAX proudly proclaimed to be "near-final" code. Also, Shawn echoed my comments on last week's GFW Radio.

The game has tons of potential, and will hopefully end up being great. But those reasons are why I'm not at all thinking about preordering it and not at all considering purchasing it until weeks after release have convinced me that those problems were fixed before release.

Right now, it seems like the case of another Assassin's Creed by the same developer - awesome, capable technology, wide-open levels, tons of potential, but ultimately a disappointment when it comes to gameplay.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
But does anyone ever state how they plan to "shoot the player directly in the face" by chance in these videos?

If not, then this is no Far Cry game...

Yixian

Banned
No offense to dLMN8R, I'm sure he's perfectly objective and thoughtful when it comes to critiquing games, however it's pretty lame to see GAF go from fapping to this game's every mention to practically assuming it's gonna bomb over a single members, single experience of a single, pre-release demo at a busy game show.

It's a sand box game, and open ended right? Demos should be even less good an indicator of how the final product should fare than most!

That said, I've never played it, I just want it to rock, but I reckon it's premature to think it won't already..

dLMN8R

Kibbles said:
*Looks at video* :lol :lol :lol
I'm talking about the 360 version. Seeing the actual game running on an actual 360 on an actual HDTV makes things look a whole lot less beautiful than a gameplay video created on an unknown system specifically for marketing purposes. I know what I saw at the show - the graphics were good, but not better than Crysis at Medium settings - settings which look good, but not great. Massive amounts of pop-in and level-of-detail scaling, and questionable distance-scaling techniques.

Not that I expect such a huge, wide-open game to have mindblowing graphics, which is why I mentioned it as a secondary comment. In the grand scheme of things, they're not that important. My doubt towards Far Cry 2 is based on the gameplay I experienced, not graphics, but again, I remain open to the possibility of my issues with the game getting addressed before release.

Yixian said:
No offense to dLMN8R, I'm sure he's perfectly objective and thoughtful when it comes to critiquing games, however it's pretty lame to see GAF go from fapping to this game's every mention to practically assuming it's gonna bomb over a single members, single experience of a single, pre-release demo at a busy game show.

It's a sand box game, and open ended right? Demos should be even less good an indicator of how the final product should fare than most!
You're completely right, which is why I continually remain hopeful for my issues to be addressed. However, the sandbox nature of the game is specifically why I worry when I see shitty AI - for a game that seems to rely solely on its presentation of unique confrontations with human characters, human AI had better be incredible to keep things fresh.

ianp622

Brandon F said:
But does anyone ever state how they plan to "shoot the player directly in the face" by chance in these videos?

If not, then this is no Far Cry game...

I loled. Actually, it wasn't really ol, but I snickered. At least this doesn't have mutant monkeys.

dLMN8R said:
You can laugh all you want, but who's the one who actually played it?

You clearly have higher standards than most (comparing it to Crysis makes this obvious), it's easily one of the best looking 360 games from the videos I've seen, even with the minor draw-in problems.

dLMN8R

Sho_Nuff82 said:
You clearly have higher standards than most (comparing it to Crysis makes this obvious), it's easily one of the best looking 360 games from the videos I've seen, even with the minor draw-in problems.
I've happily played Gears of War and many other 360 games that look far, far better than Far Cry 2. Like I said, it's not an important issue due to the scale of the game, but it's an issue nonetheless.

Go ahead and ignore what I'm saying, I personally don't give a shit if you believe me or not. But I always say it's better to go in with low expectations and be happily surprised than expect the best thing ever released on the system and be disappointed.

dLMN8R said:
I've happily played Gears of War and many other 360 games that look far, far better than Far Cry 2. Like I said, it's not an important issue due to the scale of the game, but it's an issue nonetheless.

Go ahead and ignore what I'm saying, I personally don't give a shit if you believe me or not. But I always say it's better to go in with low expectations and be happily surprised than expect the best thing ever released on the system and be disappointed.

Would you say Gamersyde's vids of the 360 version are indicative of the build you played?

I'm not attacking your opinion on the game itself, something like graphics is much more subjective though and all the footage I've seen of the 360 version has been impressive IMO.

dLMN8R

Which ones in particular? I only see one specifically labeled as a 360 video - http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7361_en.html - and yes, that's the same as what I played at PAX.

Like I said, it's a good-looking game, but there's something about actually playing it on an HDTV that makes it look not nearly as impressive as the videos in the OP of this thread.

But again, the graphics were the least of my concerns with this game. The graphics still aren't a concern for me with this game. I don't care about the graphics, except for when people think I'm lying or bullshitting about them.

dLMN8R said:
I've happily played Gears of War and many other 360 games that look far, far better than Far Cry 2.

Ok I agree that playing it in person is much different than watching it off the internet but when I watch Gears,Mass Effect etc in video then I watch Far Cry 2 videos, FC2 looks much better.

Zeliard

FFChris said:
I watched a firefight video a while back and the guy was needling himself every 10 seconds or so. Looked a little silly for a game that's trying really hard to be realistic.

You sure that wasn't an older vid? I'm pretty sure they toned down the "prying bullets out" mechanism quite considerably.

dLMN8R said:
Which ones in particular? I only see one specifically labeled as a 360 video - http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7361_en.html - and yes, that's the same as what I played at PAX.

Like I said, it's a good-looking game, but there's something about actually playing it on an HDTV that makes it look not nearly as impressive as the videos in the OP of this thread.

But again, the graphics were the least of my concerns with this game. The graphics still aren't a concern for me with this game. I don't care about the graphics, except for when people think I'm lying or bullshitting about them.
I'm watching that video you just linked and it looks better than Gears of Wars. I don't know what you're smoking man.

Nizz

I want to see more PS3 footage of this game... As usual, that version seems to be the secret "People under the Stairs" version of the game. All I remember seeing was the console version trailer from Ubidays with footage of both console versions in the video and that's it...

dLMN8R

blitztidues said:
I'm watching that video you just linked and it looks better than Gears of Wars. I don't know what you're smoking man.

there's something about actually playing it on an HDTV that makes it look not nearly as impressive as the videos

Let's drop the subject, considering that it wasn't even an important concern of mine to begin with.

madmook

The videos I've seen all show fuck-awesome graphics, but I've read and heard enough complaints from people who've actually played it that make me wary. I hope they release a demo, otherwise I am not there day 1.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
fps fanatic said:
I want to see more PS3 footage of this game... As usual, that version seems to be the secret "People under the Stairs" version of the game. All I remember seeing was the console version trailer from Ubidays with footage of both console versions in the video and that's it...

Here is some PS3 video showing how the six-axis works with the hand-glider and jeep.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/253391.html

The Chef said:
Dear god some of these videos make the game look so incredibly BOOOOORRRIIINNNNNGGGGG

Agreed.

No idea why they stuck with the 'Far Cry' name with this as from what I've seen it ... really doesn't play anything like Far Cry original, I'd have thought by going the route they had they'd alienate existing FC fans while neglect a potential audience base who were turned off the FC franchise originally by the Trigens and bullet soaking eagle eye super soldiers.

Not to mention the Uwe Boll film.

blitztidues said:

gears 2, not so much#

Personally I m still very interested in this game, and think it looks pretty great... Hopefully some of the AI issues are resolved...

pr0cs

Not really impressed by these videos, they seemed rather boring to me.
I will be waiting for reviews since it's not like my to-buy list for the rest of the year is short or anything.

sullytao

The A.I. problems that people are mentioning have me really concerned. The first few vids they released of the game impressed the hell out of me especially the one where the player sniped at a guy and his comrades jumped into a vehicle and raced to that location. Hopefully Ubi fix it up before release but I'm certainly not going to jump in now until I'v either played a demo or read the reviews.

zon

Zeliard said:
You sure that wasn't an older vid? I'm pretty sure they toned down the "prying bullets out" mechanism quite considerably.

Sounds like an old vid, first gameplay vid I watched they were pulling out bullets and needling themselves 24/7. It wasn't surprising that they were doing it so much though, they did attack a camp with about a dozen soldiers and all of them was firing at the player. I was more surprised that they didn't die :lol

Chiggs

I think the game looks nice, but sort of has a low geometry feel to it. Given the size of the world, it's completely acceptable.

What worries me are the gameplay reports. :(

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Some boxart...Europe.

fc2boxeups3lg1565487li3.jpg

Dot50Cal

Banned
Beautiful boxart. Thats the kind of thing that really gets your attention. Shame that the US boxart will probably be trash.

Screw the haters, this is for me, the first next-gen game that is actually buzzing with atmosphere that does NOT feel tacked on. I'm so going to buy this.

Alf-Life

Hope they delay for God's sake... their in-game stuff doesn't nearly match their presentation skills. :/
Looks nice, though.

Top Bottom