• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(09-25-2008, 10:34 PM)
Picked up some food from my grandmothers house.

Salty as hell.
Linkhero1
(09-25-2008, 10:37 PM)
Tell her not to put too much salt next time. Enjoy your salt
PhoenixDark
(09-25-2008, 10:38 PM)
put your food on a plate, and set it next to a bowl of water. Wait about an hour and the salt will be in the water
rykomatsu
(09-25-2008, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by DeathNote

Picked up some food from my grandmothers house.

Salty as hell.

stick it in a pot of water
Escape Goat
(09-25-2008, 10:39 PM)
wait, are you asking how to take salt out of food? :P
RumpledForeskin
Banned
(09-25-2008, 10:40 PM)
Add sugar.
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(09-25-2008, 10:40 PM)

Originally Posted by PhoenixDark

put your food on a plate, and set it next to a bowl of water. Wait about an hour and the salt will be in the water

This. It's simple physics.
Threi
notag
(09-25-2008, 10:41 PM)
Cut off the sides of your tongue.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(09-25-2008, 10:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Timedog

This. It's simple physics.

make sense.

so food on plate. bowl of water next to plate. no overlapping or titlt?

if i have a huge plate of food, would a huge bowl of water be needed/.
Javaman
(09-25-2008, 10:42 PM)
If it's a stew, adding raw potatoes will absorb some of the salt. Just toss them after simmering for a while.
Dahellisdat
(09-25-2008, 10:43 PM)
Seal your food in a semipermeable membrane and then leave it in a tank of water overnight.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(09-25-2008, 10:43 PM)
is terriaki. she got some shitty salt sauce. so the meat strips and vegetables are soaked in salty sauce.

Originally Posted by Dahellisdat

Seal your food in a semipermeable membrane and then leave it in a tank of water overnight.

:lol:lol
Fifty
I was FIDDY before 50 Cent. Moo.
(09-25-2008, 10:44 PM)
Add some pepper
S. L.
(09-25-2008, 10:44 PM)
drink LOTS of beer.
The Lamonster
(09-25-2008, 10:45 PM)
Add salt.

It sounds crazy, but it actually works.
BlackSalad
(09-25-2008, 10:45 PM)
smoke some weed
Solaros
(09-25-2008, 10:46 PM)

Originally Posted by PhoenixDark

:lol
Borgnine
MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
(09-25-2008, 10:47 PM)
Lay terriaki strips on a bed of cooked white rice, the rice will adsorb salty sauce. Then eat them both at the same time.
Skiptastic
Don't cum on it next time.
Death_Born
Banned
Get some new food.
speculawyer
clairvoyancy is no excuse for trollin'
(09-25-2008, 10:49 PM)
No.

You could dilute it by mixing it with more food of the same type.
slidewinder
Banned
(09-25-2008, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by RumpledForeskin

Add sugar.

This.
Askani
(09-25-2008, 10:53 PM)
[IMG]http://i37.************/19b728.jpg[/IMG]

"Make it again!"

No, I'm not some kind of Misogynist actually advocating violence against women.
DonCuco
(09-25-2008, 10:55 PM)
Add a raw potato. The potato absorbs the salt.
capslock
Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
(09-25-2008, 10:59 PM)

Originally Posted by DonCuco

Add a raw potato. The potato absorbs the salt.

This.
DeaconKnowledge
(09-25-2008, 11:00 PM)
Rinse that bitch off.

(Seriously, One Salt gets into beef good luck getting it out.)
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(09-25-2008, 11:00 PM)

Originally Posted by DeathNote

make sense.

so food on plate. bowl of water next to plate. no overlapping or titlt?

if i have a huge plate of food, would a huge bowl of water be needed/.

elevate the bowl and get it as close to the water as possible. The amount of water won't matter too much because the saturation point of salt mixed with water is far more than anything you'll likely have in your food, although a larger bowl would have more surface area of exposed water and exacerbate the process I guess. If you can rig something up so that tilt is possible, that would help tremendously as far as speed, actually, but if not an hour or two would probably do fine.

This should preferably be done in a warm area. As the water evaporates from the bowl and causes the air in the direct vicinity to have more moisture content, and gaseous H2O lives in a somewhat unstable state in the atmosphere, with many loose H and O atoms continually breaking apart and reattaching to form H2O molecules. These atoms, when loosed, are WAY more attracted to sodium ions than to each other, because they naturally prefer to form an ionic compound rather than share valence electrons. When these non-metal atoms come in contact with sodium ions, the bond together and create a compound that is gaseous at the normal temperatures we live at( I think you have to go down to like -120 kelvin for them to become solids). Thus some of the salt on the food is dissolved and dissipates into a very common, unscented gas. Although the various gas laws state that much of the sodium will also move into the bowl in an aqueous and unstable state. You breathe in small amounts of the gas every time you cook or wash your hands!

Originally Posted by Solaros

:lol

?
Last edited by Timedog; 09-25-2008 at 11:05 PM.
S. L.
(09-25-2008, 11:04 PM)

elevate the bowl and get it as close to the water as possible. The amount of water won't matter too much because the saturation point of salt mixed with water is far more than anything you'll likely have in your food, although a larger bowl would have more surface area of exposed water and exacerbate the process I guess. If you can rig something up so that tilt is possible, that would help tremendously as far as speed, actually, but if not an hour or two would probably do fine.

This should preferably be done in a warm area. As the water evaporates from the bowl and causes the air in the direct vicinity to have more moisture content, and gaseous H2O lives in a somewhat unstable state in the atmosphere, with many loose H and O atoms continually breaking apart and reattaching to form H2O molecules. These atoms, when loosed, are WAY more attracted to sodium ions than to each other, because they naturally prefer to form an ionic compound rather than share valence electrons. When these non-metal atoms come in contact with sodium ions, the bond together and create a compound that is gaseous at the normal temperatures we live at( I think you have to go down to like -120 kelvin for them to become solids), thus some of the salt on the food is dissolved and dissipates into a very common, unscented gas. In fact, you breathe in small amounts of this gas every time you cook or wash your hands!

Hitokage
Setec Astronomer
(09-25-2008, 11:07 PM)

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

(Seriously, One Salt gets into beef good luck getting it out.)

Speaking of which, if you manage to try salt-preserved meat sometime, it will suddenly become clear to you why England has a tradition of stews and boiling food in general.
Borgnine
(09-25-2008, 11:12 PM)

an hour or two would probably do fine.

This should preferably be done in a warm area.

So you want him to set meat out on a warm countertop for a couple hours and then eat it?
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(09-25-2008, 11:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Borgnine

So you want him to set meat out on a warm countertop for a couple hours and then eat it?

I severely doubt that anything bad is going to happen to the meat in an hour. One time I ate a jack in the box burger that was 36 hours at room temperature. Sometimes it takes me an hour just to eat my food at a restaurant if I'm with a bunch of people and we're talking a lot, or I get too full to finish it right away. But try at your own discretion, OP.

edit: I also don't see where he said it was meat.
Hitokage
Setec Astronomer
(09-25-2008, 11:18 PM)

I severely doubt that anything bad is going to happen to the meat in an hour. One time I ate a jack in the box burger that was 36 hours at room temperature. Sometimes it takes me an hour just to eat my food at a restaurant if I'm with a bunch of people and we're talking a lot, or I get too full to finish it right away. But try at your own discretion, OP.

Food should generally be left out in the open for no longer than two hours. One hour if the air is hot.
Borgnine
(09-25-2008, 11:20 PM)

edit: I also don't see where he said it was meat.

Originally Posted by Deathnote

is terriaki. she got some shitty salt sauce. so the meat strips and vegetables are soaked in salty sauce.

Economan
(09-26-2008, 02:34 AM)
Desalinate the food.

All you got to do is put the food in water. Entropy will cause the salt to diffuse out of the food and into the water (until there is an equal concentration), as solutes move with a concentration gradient (high to low). Although, you probably won't want to do this if its like cake or meat or something. Actually, probably only something like pickles or feta cheese is where you'd want to do this.
Like the hat?
(09-26-2008, 02:40 AM)
That's the saltiest thing I ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt.
Sol..
I am Wayne Brady.
(09-26-2008, 03:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Hitokage

Food should generally be left out in the open for no longer than two hours. One hour if the air is hot.

omg you guys are SO suburban.

I ate some turkey burritos that were left out in my car for 4 hours and I was doin the jitterbug not 3 hours later.

I love eating sandwiches that have been left out in the sun all day. There simply is no greater food on this planet.

yall gotta get dirty some times...makes the body strong.
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(09-27-2008, 12:01 AM)

Originally Posted by JodyAnthony

That's the saltiest thing I ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt.

Okay, fuck. I've been thinking about this all freaking day long.....

How did you taste the OP's meal he got from his grandma?
Fusebox
Banned
(09-27-2008, 12:02 AM)
Potatos isn't it? I remember theres something you can cut and throw in and it absorbs salt, I'm sure its potatos.

edit - Aha!! I'm not going nuts:

http://www.hub-uk.com/tallytip01/tip0032.htm

If your stock, sauce, soup, stew etc is too salty; add a peeled potato or potatoes into it, depending on how salty it is and how much of the stock, sauce, soup or stew you have.

As the potato cooks it will absorb a lot of the salt. The cooked potato can then just be discarded (or used if really wished). Repeat if necessary

Last edited by Fusebox; 09-27-2008 at 12:17 AM.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(09-27-2008, 12:06 AM)
Eat some of those "make everything sweet" capsules that were posted here a while ago.
Hitokage
Setec Astronomer
(09-27-2008, 12:08 AM)

sky
(09-27-2008, 12:10 AM)
Salt is the best condiment! No such thing as t...

Originally Posted by Hitokage

...never mind. o_o
agrajag
if I suck dick, are my arguments less valid?
(09-27-2008, 12:11 AM)
tell your grandmother to learn to fucking cook
agrajag
if I suck dick, are my arguments less valid?
(09-27-2008, 12:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Askani

[IMG]http://i37.************/19b728.jpg[/IMG]

"Make it again!"

No, I'm not some kind of Misogynist actually advocating violence against women.

Who is that actress? She is beautiful.
big_z
just gonna rub one out
in the next few minutes
(09-27-2008, 12:35 AM)
speaking of salty meat i found some bacon in my freezer that is two years old. is it eatable?
sky
(09-27-2008, 12:54 AM)

Originally Posted by agrajag

That's Erin Gray, of buck rogers fame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCsUe_z1-H4 :P
EmSeta
(09-27-2008, 12:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Sol..

omg you guys are SO suburban.

I ate some turkey burritos that were left out in my car for 4 hours and I was doin the jitterbug not 3 hours later.

I love eating sandwiches that have been left out in the sun all day. There simply is no greater food on this planet.

yall gotta get dirty some times...makes the body strong.

+1
Hitokage
Setec Astronomer
(09-27-2008, 01:00 AM)

Originally Posted by big_z

speaking of salty meat i found some bacon in my freezer that is two years old. is it eatable?

It might have freezer burn, but that's about it, I think.
dionysus
Yaldog
(09-27-2008, 01:01 AM)
Raw potatoes work wonders. I once put 3 tablespoons into chili instead of 3 teaspoons, was fine with one potato. Make sure you cut it up into about 4 slices.
evil solrac v3.0
(09-27-2008, 01:02 AM)

Originally Posted by agrajag

she also can't cook, that's why she got smacked!!!