• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/22 - 09/28

FrankT

TOKYO, Oct 3 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp's Xbox 360 outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 in Japan in September, beating the rival machine in monthly unit sales for the first time in Sony's home market, a game magazine publisher said.

Microsoft sold 53,547 units of the Xbox 360 in the four weeks to Sept. 28, compared with 33,071 units of the PS3, data from Enterbrain showed on Friday.

Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) safely maintained its leading position in the console market, having sold 109,548 units of the Wii in the month. (Reporting by Kiyoshi

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUST33130320081003

Yes Boss!

Why do folks think the loss of the GBA slot on the DSi matters? I don't think it matters one bit (yeah, I do have the paddle, guitar hero add-on and rumble).

PSGames said:
This gen has been so strange. Noone would have thought this possible a couple months ago. Wow.

No kidding. I remember when it was thought that if Sony made bricks they'd sell them like PS2's. Now Nintendo is dominating the charts worldwide and 360 is gaining some (very little, but hey, baby steps) ground in Japan, the anti-american gaming fortress of justice of the old days

pretty awesome gen if you ask me

Yes Boss! said:
Why do folks think the loss of the GBA slot on the DSi matters? I don't think it matters one bit (yeah, I do have the paddle, guitar hero add-on and rumble).

id like to know this, too.

if its because you won't get to play guitar hero, why the hell have you waited this long to get any version of the DS? It has arguably the best software lineup ever.

and if you do have an older ds, can't you just play that ONE game on it and use the DSi for everything else? If its because of ram expansion and shit, the DSi has built in memory so no need for that.

and if its for rumble, again for like the two games that you play that support it, can't you whip out your older DS to do it?

and please don't tell me you're worried about how Nintendo is 'splitting the userbase'. The one or two upcoming games that use it just have to put a big "Can't Play this on DSi" sign and problem solved

life's mysteries

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MC-THREAD-CSCHARTS-TITLE.png

(click to enlarge)

Jonnyram

PantherLotus said:
MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

(click to enlarge)

Code:
[B][U]Hardware  | This Week | Last Week | Last 4 Weeks |    YTD    |     LTD    [/U][/B]
DS        |    57,847 |    61,242 |      234,360 | 2,364,406 | 23,537,460
PSP       |    25,671 |    25,671 |      118,963 | 2,783,200 | 10,384,800
WII       |    26,314 |    29,921 |      119,049 | 2,190,158 |  6,806,318
PS3       |     8,275 |     8,156 |       32,801 |   682,250 |  2,323,926
360       |    11,291 |    13,777 |       54,300 |   188,895 |    696,236
You have the wrong PSP number listed for last week.

PSGames said:
This gen has been so strange. Noone would have thought this possible a couple months ago. Wow.
It's a bit surprising, but it's nothing unexpected. Hell I even thought the 360 would outsell the Wii for a week. Although it did just that in Famitsu, it just missed in MC.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...

PSP comparisons: After 198 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 148.2 weeks (December 30, 2002), where DS was at 89.2 weeks (August 14, 2006), and where GBA was at 126.4 weeks (August 19, 2003).

X360 comparisons: After 146 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 14.6 weeks (December 20, 2001), where PS3 was at 16.7 weeks (March 1, 2007), and where Wii was at 3.7 weeks (December 22, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 98 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 21.6 weeks (July 27, 2000), where PSP was at 53.4 weeks (December 13, 2005), where GCN was at 101.6 weeks (August 21, 2003), and where Wii was at 23.6 weeks (May 10, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 95 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 89.7 weeks (December 5, 2002), where DS was at 70.2 weeks (April 3, 2006), where PS2 was at 98.0 weeks (January 12, 2002), and where PSP was at 153.6 weeks (November 15, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shres of 69.3 / 30.7 bring total shares to 69.4 / 30.6. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 512.3 weeks (July 25, 2018).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 57.7 / 42.3 bring total shares to 23.1 / 76.9. At this week's rates, X360 catches up to PS3 in 539.7 weeks (February 1, 2019). If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 144.2 weeks (July 5, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 23.9 / 76.1 bring total shares to 25.5 / 74.5. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 541.7 weeks (February 15, 2019).

PSP vs Wii: Weekly shares of 49.4 / 50.6 bring total shares to 60.4 / 39.6. At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 5,565.3 weeks (May 29, 2115). If PSP stopped selling and Wii continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 136.0 weeks (May 8, 2011).

Week over week, most things are slightly down. The exception is PS2, which gets a small bump from having the week's #1 software title.
X360

kiruyama said:
if its because you won't get to play guitar hero, why the hell have you waited this long to get any version of the DS? It has arguably the best software lineup ever.

and if you do have an older ds, can't you just play that ONE game on it and use the DSi for everything else? If its because of ram expansion and shit, the DSi has built in memory so no need for that.

and if its for rumble, again for like the two games that you play that support it, can't you whip out your older DS to do it?
The market isn't based around just us, though. Example: Rumble is already underused as-is, but once the market becomes such that new DS purchasers can't use rumble even if they wanted to, it will be used even less.

Osuwari

lol the 360 numbers are ridiculous in that comparison. makes the GC and PS3 look like sales monsters only with amount of weeks.

rumble wasn't well conceived on DS. it should have been part of the system or a pack-in in a big game like mario kart. bundling it with metroid pinball basically sealed it's fate. i guess nintendo forgot how they introduced rumble in the 64 days.
for the DS sucessor (if it ever gets made lol) rumble should be internal like cell phones.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
So the Wii is three weeks ahead of the best selling console of all time in Japan after nearly two years? That's kinda big news.

PantherLotus said:
So the Wii is three weeks ahead of the best selling console of all time in Japan after nearly two years? That's kinda big news.
A reason you specifically pick up on this now, or just noticing? It looked bigger when it was 25 weeks ahead earlier this year. Wii has spent the last 30 weeks working through 7 weeks of PS2's biggest holiday season, causing it to look much closer. Wii may yet fall behind before its own holiday bump puts it way in the lead again.

Wii+in+terms+of+PS2

Osuwari said:
for the DS sucessor (if it ever gets made lol) rumble should be internal like cell phones.
Yes. Standardizing things like that (or cameras and motion sensors) is a much more interesting use of the clean slate an all-new system provides than pure processor speed bumps.

Zoe said:
Yeah, Fullmetal Alchemist is huge. There are several games, and it's getting a brand-new anime sometime in the future.

Both FMA and SE run in Shounen Gangan, which is the main manga magazine in the Gangan line.
Thanks for the info.

jimbo

Banned
Hi all. Looks like another good week for the 360. But first thing's first. I need to call out a couple of people which may or may not get me banned again.

1. Duckroll, that was complete bullshit. You just lost respect from me as a moderator. You asked me not to do something and I didn't( I only took up for myself), and you still banned me? WTF? I didn't think Panther needed THAT much help. If the posters here don't feel like I am a contributing member to this forum, that's fine, no hard feelings. But what you just, going WAAAY to the extremes of the policies and targeted me with it, was completely uncalled for.

2. Panther, on your post from last week.

PantherLotus said:
My work is based on over 99 weeks of data, painstakingly extrapolated into meaningful projections based on data, history, polynomial algorithms, and intelligent discourse. Those few times I am wrong it is because I'm basically unaware of upcoming releases, and I still have over a 96% success rate over time.

You (jimbo), on the other hand, cherry pick a few weeks of data so that you might champion your precious little console and make ridiculous assertions with absolutely nothing to back it up. You don't do analysis, you don't have the data, and you don't make coherent, logical arguments to prove your points. The first and only time you made a specific prediction you were off by 38%.

In case you were wondering, this is my method:

First allow me this: :lol :lol :lol

On the first part:

All of your historical data doesn't mean a thing when it comes to recent 360 sales spikes, price drops, shortages and game releases. What happens at times like this is COMPLETELY UNPREDICTABLE based on historical data because there are way too many factors to take into consideration. I mean which part of your data POINTED TOWARDS these happenings? Was it going to have a 100% increase? 300%? 2000%? It's like trying to predict the second month after a launch of a console when you have no idea if there's any supply in stores. I would love to see your polynomial algorithm for last week's prediction. Because you STILL didn't give any kind of an explanation of how you came up with it. And don't worry if it's too technical. I'm sure I can manage.

On the second part:

Bullshit on that too. I use the same historical data you do. I have the same numbers you do. I see what you see. The difference between you and I is I also take consideration what's CURRENTLY happening in the market and apply that to the information we already have available. It's simple: I allow for change to take place when there are SIGNIFICANT factors involved, and for some reason you had a problem doing that when it came to the 360. If it isn't groupthink, which you point it out, I'm sure you have some other reason and frankly I could care less. I didn't want to throw the word bias around.

And OF COURSE I only do it on weeks like this and cherry pick. It's the ONLY TIME it's interesting. The rest of the time is boring as hell, because things tend to stay the same, which is why you have that self proclaimed 96% accuracy. What the hell is so exciting about numbers moving up 1000 units. Oh look the 360 sold 2,565 this week instead of 2,212. WOOOOOO. My prediction skills of 2.5k ARE TEH AWESOME!!!!!!

So you can try to fool a lot of people and act like you actually used numbers to come out with your prediction, but please don't try it with me. During the past 3 weeks anything predicted for the 360 was complete guesswork and LUCK. And you know it. There is NO WAY to tie what just happened into your data(If there was you would have told us about it 2 months ago.....I'm sure). The only time you made an educated guess, which was WRONG was when you predicted below 6k for the 360. THAT was based on your old data. That was also based on you not practicing common sense

Everything after that, was luck. Which is why I didn't want to participate in it from the get go. And until things settle(as in no more shortage reports) which it looks to be getting there, it will continue to be luck.

PS: If you have a problem with me calling yout out, it's because you have been an ass these past couple of weeks and tried to talk down to me. NO ONE DOES THAT.

jimbo said:
Hi all. Looks like another good week for the 360. But first thing's first. I need to call out a couple of people which may or may not get me banned again.

1. Duckroll, that was complete bullshit. You just lost respect from me as a moderator. You asked me not to do something and I didn't( I only took up for myself), and you still banned me? WTF? I didn't think Panther needed THAT much help. If the posters here don't feel like I am a contributing member to this forum, that's fine, no hard feelings. But what you just, going WAAAY to the extremes of the policies and targeted me with it, was completely uncalled for.

2. Panther, on your post from last week.

First allow me this: :lol :lol :lol

On the first part:

All of your historical data doesn't mean a thing when it comes to recent 360 sales spikes, price drops, shortages and game releases. What happens at times like this is COMPLETELY UNPREDICTABLE based on historical data because there are way too many factors to take into consideration. I mean which part of your data POINTED TOWARDS these happenings? Was it going to have a 100% increase? 300%? 2000%? It's like trying to predict the second month after a launch of a console when you have no idea if there's any supply in stores. I would love to see your polynomial algorithm for last week's prediction. Because you STILL didn't give any kind of an explanation of how you came up with it. And don't worry if it's too technical. I'm sure I can manage.

On the second part:

Bullshit on that too. I use the same historical data you do. I have the same numbers you do. I see what you see. The difference between you and I is I also take consideration what's CURRENTLY happening in the market and apply that to the information we already have available. It's simple: I allow for change to take place when there are SIGNIFICANT factors involved, and for some reason you had a problem doing that when it came to the 360. If it isn't groupthink, which you point it out, I'm sure you have some other reason and frankly I could care less. I didn't want to throw the word bias around.

And OF COURSE I only do it on weeks like this and cherry pick. It's the ONLY TIME it's interesting. The rest of the time is boring as hell, because things tend to stay the same, which is why you have that self proclaimed 96% accuracy. What the hell is so exciting about numbers moving up 1000 units. Oh look the 360 sold 2,565 this week instead of 2,212. WOOOOOO. My prediction skills of 2.5k ARE TEH AWESOME!!!!!!

So you can try to fool a lot of people and act like you actually used numbers to come out with your prediction, but please don't try it with me. During the past 3 weeks anything predicted for the 360 was complete guesswork and LUCK. And you know it. There is NO WAY to tie what just happened into your data(If there was you would have told us about it 2 months ago.....I'm sure). The only time you made an educated guess, which was WRONG was when you predicted below 6k for the 360. THAT was based on your old data. That was also based on you not practicing common sense

Everything after that, was luck. Which is why I didn't want to participate in it from the get go. And until things settle(as in no more shortage reports) which it looks to be getting there, it will continue to be luck.

PS: If you have a problem with me calling yout out, it's because you have been an ass these past couple of weeks and tried to talk down to me. NO ONE DOES THAT.
So when you predict things it's 100%, but when PL uses data to support his predictions it means nothing? What the hell have you predicted anyway? 360 going from irrelevance to PS3 level of failure? Whoop-de-doo!

jimbo

Banned
BishopLamont said:
So when you predict things it's 100%, but when PL uses data to support his predictions it means nothing?

Yes it's 100%......when the hell did I ever say that? My predictions can be wrong too. I would have predicted the Wii to be A HUGE FLOP.

I just have a problem when someone calls themselves an analyst and IGNORE possible effects of price drops, big game releases and shortages when it comes to VIDEOGAME SALES. It's freaking 101. Regardless of who the manufacturer of the console is. They will ALWAYS have some sort of effect on sales and MUST be taken into consideration.

jimbo said:
Yes it's 100%......when the hell did I ever say that? My predictions can be wrong too. I would have predicted the Wii to be A HUGE FLOP.

I just have a problem when someone calls themselves an analyst and IGNORE possible effects of price drops, big game releases and shortages when it comes to VIDEOGAME SALES. It's freaking 101. Regardless of who the manufacturer of the console is. They will ALWAYS have some sort of effect on sales and MUST be taken into consideration.
We've seen how price drops affected the 360, same as game releases (hint: not much). I'll give you shortages but how are you going to predict what numbers it does during shortages. You can't call PL out on predictions that are sane.

jimbo

Banned
BishopLamont said:
We've seen how price drops affected the 360, same as game releases (hint: not much). I'll give you shortages but how are you going to predict what numbers it does during shortages. You can't call PL out on predictions that are sane.

Exactly. You CAN'T.

And I don't consider a prediction that assumes a price drop, a game release, and a re-supply of hardware will have NO EFFECT on sales, SANE. Even if it is the 360 in Japan.

And it affected it enough to outsell the PS3 for 3 weeks straight. What other game release did that before? I must have missed it.

PSGames

Jimbo I am excited to have you back. But lets just kill it for now, you've said your piece. Your sales predictions were correct that's all that needs to be said. :D

jimbo

Banned
PSGames said:
Jimbo I am excited to have you back. But lets just kill it for now, you've said your piece. Your sales predictions were correct that's all that needs to be said. :D

Hey I am willing to drop it. No problems here. But I just got banned for a week over some bullshit. That kind of ticked me off a bit.

jimbo said:
Hey I am willing to drop it. No problems here. But I just got banned for a week over some bullshit. That kind of ticked me off a bit.
I've been banned for a month for far, far less (discussing an XNA port of a PC game)... get over it, and enjoy the sales age. :D

jimbo

Banned
Reading about The Last Remnant bundle points to another spike in November, if the game gets good reviews. And the fact that they are doing a bundle may speak of the game's quality itself, otherwise I don't see why Microsoft would put their name on it, since they could have done it with IU, especially on a time exclusive( or is it anymore?). Too bad the game doesn't look too great graphically.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jimbo said:
Reading about The Last Remnant bundle points to another spike in November, if the game gets good reviews. And the fact that they are doing a bundle may speak of the game's quality itself, otherwise I don't see why Microsoft would put their name on it, especially on a time exclusive(they could have done it with IU). Too bad the game doesn't look too great graphically.

It`s a 360 RPG for the 360 and exclusiv for now, thats reason enough. Even if it wouldn`t be a really good game.

Paracelsus

jimbo said:
And the fact that they are doing a bundle may speak of the game's quality itself, otherwise I don't see why Microsoft would put their name on it,

Ehm...you do not actually think they delayed the PS3 and PC version because of problems with Unreal Engine, right?

Please tell me you don't.

This is just another Sonata/Vesperia-like deal.

Zoe

jimbo said:
And the fact that they are doing a bundle may speak of the game's quality itself

*Obligatory Eternal Sonata joke*

I think an IU bundle could have been likely if it didn't come out around the time of the hardware transition and price changes.

Famitsu Software Stuff
After two weeks, the game Pokémon Platinum seems to be behaving most like is Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen. That pair eventually went on to reach 2.9 million.
Plat

Trusty Bell PS3 starts out lower than its X360 predecessor.
PS3

Wii Play is having its lowest weeks ever. It didn't appear on last week's top 30, though from this week's data we can tell it was #31 and calculate what the missing week of sales was. Here are Wii Play's weekly sales from launch to present, capped at 20K so we can see the lower weeks better. At first one might be tempted to think the game is finally dying away, but given its abnormal quality of coming with a wiimote, I imagine it will pick up again when Wii hardware sales do. It's still on a slow overall downward trend, though.
WP

Actually, adding on Wii Sports to that image, we can see a similar dip. It didn't jump out to me the same way since it remained well in the Top 30.
WS

RJT

I was banned for stupidity and I don't even know why... Probably because of stupid comments about bannings.

Don't read too much into it. It's just a selection process. Ever seen Fight Club?

jimbo

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I didn't say it would beat the PS3 for the next five or six weeks. I said it would sustain. The PS3 might get a boost from LBP or something in that time and rise above the 10k mark, but I think the 360 is going to hang in the 8-10k zone until TLR comes out.

It should. It also depends on how the shortages are affecting these numbers. If they aren't affecting the numbers in a significant amount and there is plenty of supply out there than this is just a typical post-price drop decrease, which WILL settle higher than before and 7-10k is likely.

If the shortage is significantly affecting the numbers, it could outsell it if it gets re-supplied as we speak, with the exception of an increase in PS3 sales from LBP and of course possible Sony price drop.

Too bad there are shortage reports. We would already be able to have a clear grasp of where it would be settling come next week(aka a week over week decrease of around 1k or lower or any sort of increase in hardware sales, even 100 units).

jimbo

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Ehm...you do not actually think they delayed the PS3 and PC version because of problems with Unreal Engine, right?

Please tell me you don't.

This is just another Sonata/Vesperia-like deal.

Of course not, although I'm sure that helped SquareEnix accept MS's proposition if they indeed were having problems with it.

cw_sasuke said:
It`s a 360 RPG for the 360 and exclusiv for now, thats reason enough. Even if it wouldn`t be a really good game.

Yes but usually the games have some kind of strong selling point, that they can hype up and create system-selling demand with it. TLR's graphically unimpressive unlike Eternal Sonata(which had graphics and art style) so that CAN'T be their selling point.

I beginning to think Sony will show some new PS3 hardware in TGS because it doesn't make any sense that they still only have the 40GB SKU with a Sixaxis in Japan. In 3 colors yeah, and there is probably some stock left of the "limited" MGS4 bundles, with had both a Dual Shock 3 and a Sixaxis (plus the game and a 40GB PS3) for 49980Y.

I don't necessarily mean a slim PS3 but a new model (PS2 BC back?) or even just announcing 80GB-160GB SKUs with just a Dual Shock 3 and the same price (39980Y) that NA/EU already have.

But if they don't announce shit...man, they have dropped the ball big time.

Raggy

Banned
jimbo said:

Well Panther been banned a couple of times as well.

Not that its a pissing contenst :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I can't believe in 4 weeks the DSi is going to be on these charts, it just boggles my mind how soon this is coming.

M3d10n

jimbo said:
Reading about The Last Remnant bundle points to another spike in November, if the game gets good reviews. And the fact that they are doing a bundle may speak of the game's quality itself, otherwise I don't see why Microsoft would put their name on it, since they could have done it with IU, especially on a time exclusive( or is it anymore?). Too bad the game doesn't look too great graphically.
After spending some time with the Unreal 3 Editor, I can completely understand why Japanese devs have such a hard time with it. CSG level construction can be a nightmare compared to working with XSI, Lightwave and similar programs.

jay

So if I am correctly understanding this, because we don't know when spikes and shortages are coming sales are always impossible to predict. Unless you predict the 360 will do very well.

lherre

Accurate
jimbo said:
It should. It also depends on how the shortages are affecting these numbers. If they aren't affecting the numbers in a significant amount and there is plenty of supply out there than this is just a typical post-price drop decrease, which WILL settle higher than before and 7-10k is likely.

If the shortage is significantly affecting the numbers, it could outsell it if it gets re-supplied as we speak, with the exception of an increase in PS3 sales from LBP and of course possible Sony price drop.

Too bad there are shortage reports. We would already be able to have a clear grasp of where it would be settling come next week(aka a week over week decrease of around 1k or lower or any sort of increase in hardware sales, even 100 units).

There is still "X360 shortages" in Japan?

jimbo

Banned
jay said:
So if I am correctly understanding this, because we don't know when spikes and shortages are coming sales are always impossible to predict. Unless you predict the 360 will do very well.

You are not.

lherre said:
There is still "X360 shortages" in Japan?

Apparently.

On another note, it doesn't look like ES for the PS3 will match the 360 version.

Paracelsus

On another note, it doesn't look like ES for the PS3 will match the 360 version.

This is what you get for releasing it one year later.

And this doesn't bode well at all for an eventual Vesperia port.

Pray for a miracle at the NPD, or they as good as screwed.

jimbo

Banned
lherre said:
Do you have some source to check this?

See previous MC threads. Media Create statement that went with previous hardware numbers.

And anecdotal evidenence from Japanese forumers.

Phife Dawg said:
I see the DSi as a complementary product, or will it replace the Lite just as that replaced the Phat?

Official line is that its an addition to the DS family, how long the lite lasts in this family is anyones guess.

My own opinion is that this device has only been released as a R4 killer.

FrankT

Heh, was watching CNBC this morning and they mentioned the Reuters report of the 360 outselling the PS3 for the month of September in Japan, carazzzy. :lol

Anyhow, wow out Sony's stock it has taken a complete beating now at 27 and some change. It was 31 just some days ago but it just keeps falling like a rock.

Rocksteady33

jimbo said:
See previous MC threads. Media Create statement that went with previous hardware numbers.

And anecdotal evidenence from Japanese forumers.

God, I've been following your posts the past couple weeks in these threads and good lord you are like the absolute biggest douchebag when it comes to fucking videogames. If it was up to me you would have been permanently banned. You rip on Panther for predicting sales of plus or minus 1,000 units when you fail to realize you predicted a rise of about 7,000. Good job!!! I hear Pachter needs an intern you should apply! Then maybe you'll have something to do then be in these threads and we don't need to see your whiny pathetic posts.

Top Bottom