• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/22 - 09/28

Guys, let's try to keep the catfighting and bitching about bans to PMs and keep things on topic a bit. It'll make things easier on everyone.

Well okay, maybe a little catfighting, but only for the lulz, ok?

jimbo

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Heh, was watching CNBC this morning and they mentioned the Reuters report of the 360 outselling the PS3 for the month of September in Japan, carazzzy. :lol

Anyhow, wow out Sony's stock it has taken a complete beating now at 27 and some change. It was 31 just some days ago but it just keeps falling like a rock.

They can put a stop to it with a hefty price drop. And honestly, if they DON'T do it at TGS, it's mainly for one reason: they'd be losing more money than they can afford on their bottom line.

It's not just because of the 3 weeks that the 360 has been beating it. It's got more to do with the number of weeks it's been below 10k this year, and what's about to happen over the holiday season in the rest of the world. The 360 will pull away significantly world wide over the holiday season if they don't drop the price.

jimbo

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
God, I've been following your posts the past couple weeks in these threads and good lord you are like the absolute biggest douchebag when it comes to fucking videogames. If it was up to me you would have been permanently banned. You rip on Panther for predicting sales of plus or minus 1,000 units when you fail to realize you predicted a rise of about 7,000. Good job!!! I hear Pachter needs an intern you should apply! Then maybe you'll have something to do then be in these threads and we don't need to see your whiny pathetic posts.

Hey duckroll, hope you are seeing this. Oops!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Christ this is like a soap opera in here.

I don't know if I prefer this version or the old, boring Media Create threads.

gkryhewy

Jtyettis said:
Heh, was watching CNBC this morning and they mentioned the Reuters report of the 360 outselling the PS3 for the month of September in Japan, carazzzy. :lol

Anyhow, wow out Sony's stock it has taken a complete beating now at 27 and some change. It was 31 just some days ago but it just keeps falling like a rock.

Nintendo's stock has been falling at a similar (or worse) rate (at 43.xx this morning, which sucks). It's general concern about the US economy, not company-specific.

FrankT

gkrykewy said:
Nintendo's stock has been falling at a similar (or worse) rate (at 43.xx this morning, which sucks). It's general concern about the US economy, not company-specific.

Oh my stocks have taken a beating, but out of the 15 or so stocks I have listed daily Sony's is almost by far the worst outside of Apple and Google.

rykomatsu

360 is still somewhat supply constrained but if you really want one, you can get your hands on them...it's just that small mom&pop retailers are charging a huge premium over msrp since the major online retailers are out of stock...

jeremy1456

yoopoo said:
Was GC ever outsold by Xbox in Japan?

:O

The only time I remember the GC being outsold by the Xbox was when the original Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball was released.

JavyOO7

Hi Joshua, can you do me a favor and compare week by week on how Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart DS have done so far. Gracias.

This is not a thread for what is known as "internet drama". Moderation decisions are final and bitching about them may lead to further (even permanent) bans. If one cannot back up one's predictions with data, that prediction is meaningless.

yoopoo said:
Was GC ever outsold by Xbox in Japan?

:O
According to Famitsu it did so on five weeks in two chunks. Xbox's first three weeks (2002-02-18, 02-25, and 03-04), and soon after GCN had a dip between announcement of a price drop and its actual occurrence (2002-05-20 and 05-27).

Media Create has a slighty different set of five. According to it GCN was ahead on Xbox's third week (2002-03-04), but Xbox beat GCN the week of 2004-11-01.

Javy007 said:
Hi Joshua, can you do me a favor and compare week by week on how Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart DS have done so far. Gracias.
Tables, with images at the bottom of the pages:
Weekly
Weekly, capped at 50K to better see lower weeks
Cumulative

In short, MK Wii is still doing a little better on a weekly basis than MK DS was at the same time, but is also about 380K ahead of where MK DS was thanks to a bigger first month.

DS | 57,847 | 61,242 | 234,360 | 2,364,406 | 23,537,460
PSP | 25,671 | 28,674 | 118,963 | 2,783,200 | 10,384,800
WII | 26,314 | 29,921 | 119,049 | 2,190,158 | 6,806,318
PS3 | 8,275 | 8,156 | 32,801 | 682,250 | 2,323,926
360 | 11,291 | 13,777 | 54,300 | 188,895 | 696,236

Hey Panther, why did you leave out PS2 data on the OP? Damage Control perhaps?

Jokeropia

sp0rsk said:
I can't believe in 4 weeks the DSi is going to be on these charts, it just boggles my mind how soon this is coming.
Hmm, we're gonna have to create a "DS total" listing in the hardware table.

jimbo

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
This is not a thread for what is known as "internet drama". Moderation decisions are final and bitching about them may lead to further (even permanent) bans. If one cannot back up one's predictions with data, that prediction is meaningless.

You are damn right. And I will not bitch about any moderator's decision as long as I don't feel I am being singled out. If I break the ToS, I'll take my permaban and move on. Rules should apply to everyone the same, regardless of their point of view and/or opinion.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
perfectchaos007 said:
DS | 57,847 | 61,242 | 234,360 | 2,364,406 | 23,537,460
PSP | 25,671 | 28,674 | 118,963 | 2,783,200 | 10,384,800
WII | 26,314 | 29,921 | 119,049 | 2,190,158 | 6,806,318
PS3 | 8,275 | 8,156 | 32,801 | 682,250 | 2,323,926
360 | 11,291 | 13,777 | 54,300 | 188,895 | 696,236

Hey Panther, why did you leave out PS2 data on the OP? Damage Control perhaps?

yes, of course that's what it is.

(no). If you can get the numbers together, I'd be happy to include them. I only started tracking PS2 a couple months ago (my MC tracking chart starts at Wii launch but doesn't include PS2 until recently).

gimme the line and it'll go into the OP.

also, thanks dragona.

Scotch

Panther, please don't take this the wrong way cause I appreciate the effort you put into this each week, but why do your thumbnails link to your website and not the pictures themselves? Kinda annoying this way.

Jokeropia

Scotch said:
Panther, please don't take this the wrong way cause I appreciate the effort you put into this each week, but why do your thumbnails link to your website and not the pictures themselves? Kinda annoying this way.
I second this.

PantherLotus said:
yes, of course that's what it is.

(no). If you can get the numbers together, I'd be happy to include them. I only started tracking PS2 a couple months ago (my MC tracking chart starts at Wii launch but doesn't include PS2 until recently).

gimme the line and it'll go into the OP.

also, thanks dragona.

Well you can at least put this weeks numbers in for PS2. It sold 9,848 units. But if you don't want to put it in because you want to have the YTD data to make the entire graph aesthetically pleasing then I can't help you out. I can't even read Japanese so I can't begin researching MC data unfortunately.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/915/915944p1.html

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NINE is also the worst SMT product ever released. Possibly the worst thing ATLUS has ever come out with.

Richelieu

Scotch said:

Maybe because while the adoration of hundreds of gamer fanboys can be nice, it just isn't enough to validate all the hard work Panther does in getting this stuff done week after week. Getting traffic on his site could lead to a little cash flow (at least beer money) to compensate him and encourage continued graph-making.

If links to a site annoy you maybe you should put up your own charts. There have been others besides PantherLotus and Donny and Joshua that have put charts up in the past.

(I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, you really can put up your own charts if his annoy you)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Interesting on the Platinum vs FR/LG sales

FR/LG went on the sell over 10 million WW. Could the Magnificent Seven become the Elite Eight or will the lack of nostalgia and no split SKU cause it to fall short?

duckroll

Richelieu said:
Maybe because while the adoration of hundreds of gamer fanboys can be nice, it just isn't enough to validate all the hard work Panther does in getting this stuff done week after week. Getting traffic on his site could lead to a little cash flow (at least beer money) to compensate him and encourage continued graph-making.

If links to a site annoy you maybe you should put up your own charts. There have been others besides PantherLotus and Donny and Joshua that have put charts up in the past.

(I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, you really can put up your own charts if his annoy you)

He has a point though. If that's the only reason he's doing it, it is something that is not really encouraged or condoned on this forum. We appreciate people that provide information, but if you're doing it to get hits on your own site, that's not really cool.

zsidane

No first day numbers ?

Richelieu said:

Last time I checked, there's zero ad-banners in his blog, no google adsense and a link to NeoGAF.

So, are you just guessing why he links to his blog rather than the graphs directly, or are you sure about what you just said?

rykomatsu

uh...i just noticed this, but when did Dengeki / Ascii Media Works start releasing top10 info again...? i only see info back until 9/12 so i'm assuming around then, unless they only keep data available online for a month...?

apujanata

Scotch said:

- linking to website is easier than linking directly to pictures (since linking to website you can use copy and paste, while linking to pictures has to do URL edit one by one)
- IIRC, isn't linking directly to pictures discouraged ? Some website consider that as "leeching", and complain when forums or other websites link directly to them (pictures, not articles or website). I knew that gameFAQs used to prohibit direct linking to FAQ.

jimbo said:
What's the NPD time frame this month? Anyone know?

NPD September cover period between Aug 31 and Oct 4, 2008, a five week period.

donny2112

apujanata said:
- IIRC, isn't linking directly to pictures discouraged ? Some website consider that as "leeching", and complain when forums or other websites link directly to them (pictures, not articles or website). I knew that gameFAQs used to prohibit direct linking to FAQ.

It's his website. He can link to his own pictures all he wants.

I always figured it was because his website is new, and it's a surreptitious way to get people to find out about his website. As duckroll mentioned, however, excessive self-promotion of your website is frowned upon.

Richelieu said:
Maybe because while the adoration of hundreds of gamer fanboys can be nice, it just isn't enough to validate all the hard work Panther does in getting this stuff done week after week.

internet_serious.jpg

Jtyettis said:
Oh my stocks have taken a beating, but out of the 15 or so stocks I have listed daily Sony's is almost by far the worst outside of Apple and Google.
I think you may need to tighten up your grammar, logic, or both.

On topic, I don't agree with the prediction (mentioned by several posters) that the 360 will stay at 7k-10k for the next eight weeks until The Last Remnant. Given that ToV and IU are both in the 40s this week, the chance of them driving substantial hardware sales is low. I believe that what we're seeing is actually a changed attitude toward the system, and awareness of a current season of plenitude in high-profile releases. On this theory, there is greater demand out there than shown in sales numbers, which are cut down to this level by supply issues; a pyramidal peak has been artificially chopped into a ziggurat. If that's the case, I expect one of two patterns:

1. Microsoft avoids a single huge shipment, so they don't get caught with embarrassing oversupply when demand slows. In this case, they'll continue supplying as they have, with only marginal, conservative shipment increases. We'll thus see the 360 do a couple more weeks of about 10k sales, then drop gradually toward 3k or 4k. Soon after, it will spike with TLR.
2. Microsoft decides to fulfill demand now, before holiday price drops or bundle deals. In that case, I'd expect to see a slow curve downward on 360 sales over the next several weeks as supply dries up, a sudden spike back to 15k or more accompanied by no big release as demand finally is sated, and then an abrupt drop to 3k or 4k. The gap to the TLR spike would be a week or two longer then.

To me, this just seems to follow from the logic of the situation. Medium-sized game releases during the next month could throw this off. Maybe Kurosaki Ichigo could post the upcoming 360 schedule?

xero273

Jokeropia said:
You may be aware of this already, but these are last weeks.

My bad. I thought he wanted first day numbers of software last week. sorry! I don't know why I even thought that.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Panther, could you please not list this week's hardware sales in the order of LAST week's? It's annoying to read.

Liabe Brave said:
On this theory, there is greater demand out there than shown in sales numbers, which are cut down to this level by supply issues; a pyramidal peak has been artificially chopped into a ziggurat.
I'm not getting into the predict-X360's-near-future game, but I like this description.
rykomatsu said:
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/110/110197/
Cool; another weekly source to take note of. I wonder why they don't just combine the top 10 news posts with the regular top 50 listing, as Media Create does?
omg rite said:
Panther, could you please not list this week's hardware sales in the order of LAST week's? It's annoying to read.
It doesn't seem to be that way, or X360 would be listed above PS3. Since I usually grab the data from MC's site I don't pay much attention to the way the numbers are presented here, but it could just be a fixed order? DS > PSP, Wii > PS3 > X360 seems to split it up by system type and then overall market position.

rykomatsu

JoshuaJSlone said:
Cool; another weekly source to take note of. I wonder why they don't just combine the top 10 news posts with the regular top 50 listing, as Media Create does?

no clue...probably to be able to add an article to their weekly article quota? the AMW top 50 list is just a top 50 list, i thought, without even minor analysis.

the nice(?) thing about having a third source is since the n (sampling) = 3 now, you can get some statistical information that actually has some meaning.

donny2112

rykomatsu said:
the AMW top 50 list is just a top 50 list, i thought, without even minor analysis.

It has that blurb at the bottom like Media-Create does.

rykomatsu said:
the nice(?) thing about having a third source is since the n (sampling) = 3 now, you can get some statistical information that actually has some meaning.

Them's a dangerous road you's be traveling down, pardner.
That's essentially VGC's Japanese sales methodology.

Edit:
JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm not getting into the predict-X360's-near-future game,

I don't mind jumping in. I think that once the shortage issue is cleared up, it'll drop back to pre-Vesperia numbers (i.e. ~5K per week) until TLR. From there it might eventually drop back below 10K for a few weeks before the New Year's buying season starts. Post-New Year will be the real test for 360, though. FFXIII demo with Advent Children in March potentially could severely undercut any remaining 360 momentum, but it'll still be interesting to watch, either way. :)

rykomatsu

donny2112 said:
Them's a dangerous road you's be traveling down, pardner.
That's essentially VGC's Japanese sales methodology.

uh...you mean regression analysis of sales numbers?

i was thinking more along the lines of average/stdev and what not of current sales...

i haven't looked at VGchartzzzzzzzz before so i don't really know what they do..

donny2112

rykomatsu said:
uh...you mean regression analysis of sales numbers?

i was thinking more along the lines of average/stdev and what not of current sales...

i haven't looked at VGchartzzzzzzzz before so i don't really know what they do..

It's just very easy to go from legitimate statistical analysis of known values to thinking that the derived numbers are somehow "better" and applying some resultant algorithm all the way out to cover games that we don't have numbers for.

If you wanted to take Dengeki, Famitsu, and Media-Create Top 10 numbers to make a average-type Top 10, more power to you. It's just an easy slope from there to VGC's mindset. That shouldn't stop you from doing the analysis, though. :)

justchris

The real problem is PS3's 2008 is falling back behind it's 2007, despite the massive boost it got from MGS4 (until that released, PS3 2008 was behind 2007, then it leaped far ahead).

Right now, the 360 is the only console that looks like it will beat it's 2007 numbers (well, and the PSP).

(P.S. Thanks for the graphs Panther)

Top Bottom