• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

Ydahs

Is this game coming out on Wiiware in Australia?

I'd hope so, since I cannot possibly wait for a retail release. If so, I might go with buying it on Steam. Man, I AM HYPED!

Capndrake

Ydahs said:
Is this game coming out on Wiiware in Australia?

I'd hope so, since I cannot possibly wait for a retail release. If so, I might go with buying it on Steam. Man, I AM HYPED!
Australia has the same WiiWare release as Europe. So no.

Cheez-It

Everyone go buy this game. If there is a remote chance it encourages the developers to pursue a game of equal caliber, it would be immoral to not purchase this game as a gamer.

/wants more

later

Anyone tried buying this game in Europe yet by switching your console to US via homebrew? Interested in this, as it won't ever release in Europe on wiiware.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any idea how this'll run on a macbook running Parallels? I don't have bootcamp and it sounds like the Mac version will take a while to come out.

its either that or my work laptop.

ampere

9.5 from IGN made me take another look at it, but a 9 from Eurogamer? If there's a demo of this I'll have to try it out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mrklaw said:
any idea how this'll run on a macbook running Parallels? I don't have bootcamp and it sounds like the Mac version will take a while to come out.

its either that or my work laptop.

I'll answer - its shit. Stupid parallels and no decent directX support :/

anyone with VMware fusion in case its any better? Will bootcamp the next macbook I get to avoid this.

oh, and if 2dboy are getting decent money from this, can they spend a little on hosting? Their site is down due to high traffic.

JavyOO7

Well, I'm still early in the game.

Where you get to play with green goo.

Very enjoyable so far. Money well spent. If I beat this game today I'm getting Shining Force II and Lost Winds.

Has anybody been building a tower for World of Goo corporation yet? I only see a few clouds there. I guess everyone's tower keeps toppling over and forcing them to reset :p

I'm at 8.0 meters if anyone can see me. I kept toppling over so I'm trying to use a wider base.

If you collect 11 goo balls on the first level then the game gives you an "OCD" message. I guess the same happens in any level if you meet a certain quota.

rabhw

Where are people playing this game right now? I'm still waiting for Steam to get it :( Is WiiWare up or something?

Jasoco

Banned
Is there a demo somewhere? Does WiiWare allow demos of games like XBLA? I am on a Mac, so don't suggest any Windows demos.

JavyOO7

rabhw said:
Where are people playing this game right now? I'm still waiting for Steam to get it :( Is WiiWare up or something?

Yup, for 1500 points. Its very fun so far.

Jasoco said:
Is there a demo somewhere? Does WiiWare allow demos of games like XBLA? I am on a Mac, so don't suggest any Windows demos.

WiiWare allows no demo's. Its horrible, I know.

I think only places I can suggest are Window's demos. I have no idea for Mac.

Jasoco

Banned
From videos this looks so awesome. So sad that Nintendo never implemented demos into their downloadable games. Especially WiiWare. Not that hard, just copy MS' model.

Guess I'll have to decide from videos whether or not to spend 1500 pennies on it. Or wait for a Mac version and hope it has a demo.

How hard is it in later levels? I find so many games like this get too hard for me later on. Braid had a perfect difficulty level even at the end that I was able to eventually figure out how to do it. Is Goo like that?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Downloading from Steam now :D, 30 minutes ago it said I had to wait 7 hours, guess not :).

I know I'm gonna have so much fun :D

alex1893

King Seesar said:
Got mine via wiiware, but there's a buy now link on the 2D Boy web page - not sure how that works, though.
sweet, thanks. On the 2Dboy page it's $20 via paypal and no taxes like in steam, so another ~3€ saved :D

downloading at the moment :D

mitheor

The link in 2dBoy website is to buy the game directly to them.

DRM-Free edition :D

Ps. The game is like the best game ever or so.

raviolico

bought it because of this very thread & the videos.
it´s not the second coming for me but i like the style,
the slick presentation, the music, the concept a lot - everything is very well done.

and...uhm...is it me or is the game somewhat hard and kinda frustrating already
in the last levels of chapter 1? i mean, after seeing me and my goos failing to
build up a proper "tower of goo" for the 9th time in a row i`m feeling
a bit unhappy right now.... :lol

Jasoco

Banned
tim1138 said:
How many blocks is this for Wii?
321. Which unfortunately is half my memory.

What was this I heard about Nintendo finally letting us use SD cards for storing and playing our downloaded games? Because I am about to run out and I have hardly anything on here.

Jasoco

Banned
But it will be coming, right? And I'll be able to just buy any 2GB SD card and put it in there and keep it in there and not have to worry about moving games back and forth between the Wii and the card just to play them all, right?

Also, how many levels is the game? How long is it? Is it $15 worth in gameplay?

What the crap, after getting 67/25 on the Tower of Goo level I went to the Goo Corporation and all the extra goo balls made my tower fall over.

mitheor

Jasoco said:

5 world with ... ~7-8 levels each one. Great replayability value.

And yes, its a lot worth. No doubt about it.

JavyOO7

Yeah, its coming.

There's quite a few levels in the game. There's 5 chapters in total.

I totally believe its worth the 15 bucks. Challenging but very fun.

EDIT: Spring 2009

GC|Simon

Jasoco said:

Something around 50 levels and it is much more worth than 15$. How long? Now, what type of player are you? If you play just through it you will need something above five hours. If you are going to replay some level because of their great graphics / fantastic sounds / OCD / .../ ... / ... / ... you will play at least 10 hours. So buy it.

Can anyone confirm that you can add the World of Goo code to Steam to get the game activated on the service for future downloads etc?
I want it on Steam but would rather save the tax and give 2D Boy a bigger cut of the money pie.

Ravidrath

Anyone having a hard time downloading this?

When I click the "Download for 1500 Points" button, the download/gift buttons just disappear, and nothing happens. Same thing happens when I back out and try again.

tim1138

Jasoco said:

What was this I heard about Nintendo finally letting us use SD cards for storing and playing our downloaded games? Because I am about to run out and I have hardly anything on here.

Ouch, looks like I'll have to empty out the fridge if I wanna pick this up later.

alex1893

nice warning in the config file: :lol
<!-- IMPORTANT WARNING: If you edit this file, your computer will probably explode. Your friend, the High Resolution Sign Painter -->

put it from the standard 800x600 to 1440x900 (native res of my monitor) and it looks very nice:

goo.jpg

goo1.jpg

goo2.jpg

goo3.jpg

Sad_Panda

Just finished chapter 1 (AWESOME last level BTW), taking a break with Tower of Goo. After a few failed attempts, I managed to reach 13.8 meters using 66 Goo Balls. Not touching it again for now, since adding only one Goo Ball may make everything fall apart :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So you CAN up the resolution, great. My monitor displays a pretty muddy image if much lower than 1280x1024.

And wow, this game has blown my mind, it's awesome
One of the best titles so far this year :)

Edit: I changed the resolution in the config.txt but the game still displays in 800x600.
I'm running the Steam version so maybe there's a command line that forces games to display at higher resolutions?

gimz

after reading some of the gaf comments on WoG (not from this thread)
i just d/l it today, played a few mission, its pretty fun :D

Jaruru

Jasoco said:

I'm cleaning up my fridge for this game now...

Top Bottom