• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 3000 street date broken (so's the screen, lol)

Azrael

I'd like the new screen, but they'll probably be a PSP 4000 next year with a built-in camera and/or internal storage, so I'm going to skip this upgrade. If I hadn't bought the 2000 last year I'd pick it up.

DrPirate

Banned
ataboada said:
I'm really interested in buying this, because I don't own a PSP. But many people here are saying I shouldn't. What are some pros and cons?

Pros

CFW

SNES Emulator/PS1 Emulator

UMD - Memory Stick holder

Fun to last a life time.

Cons

The thing doesn't run on batteries forever.

jaydogg691

That's cool, but I'll wait for the White PSP. Already have Ratchet and the sliver one doesn't look all that great. I though SCEA would have fixed the packaging for the new PSP's, but it still looks like crap. I want badass packing like this SCEA!!!

sony-details-psp-3000-japanese-release-20080902070916952_640w.jpg

ataboada

DrPirate said:
Pros

CFW

SNES Emulator/PS1 Emulator

UMD - Memory Stick holder

Fun to last a life time.

Cons

The thing doesn't run on batteries forever.

I appreciate the answers, and I should've been more clear; what are the pros and cons of buying version 3000, rather than the others? This is what a lot of people seem to be objecting to.

ataboada said:
I appreciate the answers, and I should've been more clear; what are the pros and cons of buying version 3000, rather than the others? This is what a lot of people seem to be objecting to.

The pros to getting the 3000 over past models is the much better screen. Personally I can't wait for this (I have yet to see how good it looks in person, but the prospect of ghosting being gone is so good. )

x3sphere

ataboada said:

The only con is that some of the things he listed (CFW and emulators specifically) may not work on the 3000. In all other aspects, the 3000 has been improved over the 1000 and 2000.

Is the white one even coming to NA? I have a black 1000, a silver 2000, and was planning to go back to black for the 3000 since I didn't like the silver. White might also be good.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
jaydogg691 said:
That's cool, but I'll wait for the White PSP. Already have Ratchet and the sliver one doesn't look all that great. I though SCEA would have fixed the packaging for the new PSP's, but it still looks like crap. I want badass packing like this SCEA!!!

sony-details-psp-3000-japanese-release-20080902070916952_640w.jpg

Wow...this is the rejected boxart? Sony am retarded.

Also, what are the advantages/upgrades of the 3000 again? I didn't pay very close attention a few months ago.

lupin23rd

I might pick this up (probably a white one from Japan).

Next revision may be the one that comes without a UMD slot (library will have to be downloadable before that happens) so I want to get in on it before that happens. But that revision might take a while. Fuck cameras and shit like that which are unnecessary.

My Japanese launch PSP is getting rather old...I'm still holding out for the Japanese Gundam LE release. And to think that I ALMOST bought a slim two weeks ago when my friend shipped me some things from Japan.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I think I'll spring for one as well, even though I have a 2000. Not only because of the screen, but the contents of the bundle interest me. Plus I am really digging the silver. (In fact I wish I has got a silver 2000). Oh well, all the more reason to spring for one!

I may pick up a PSP to get my Monster Hunter fix, but what other games are considered "must haves"? I haven't really followed the PSP scene.

Aeon712

I want this PSP, but I ran out and bought the 2000 when the black became available >_<. Guess I can always use my PRP at Bestbuy when a stand alone Black is out.

Roland

Is the Ratchet silver the same kind of silver as that Daxter one? I thought the color the silver 2000 looked really cheap so I stuck with my original phat.

B.K.

ataboada said:

The main con right now is that you can't install custom firmware.

No45 said:
So I'm alone on the silver being tacky then? :p

No, even though the material is likely the same, the coloration makes the silver model look a cheap piece of crap in comparison. I bought the bundle because it was a great deal, but I've lamented the silver model ever since.

The good news is that I accidentaly left it in a hotel room this weekend and now I have a legitimate excuse to get a 3000.

Ckid

KevinCow said:
What makes this one better than the 2000?

PSP-3000 has an improved LCD screen with an increased colour range, five times the contrast ratio, half the pixel response time to reduce ghosting and blurring effects, and anti-reflective technology to improve outdoor playability

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ckid said:
PSP-3000 has an improved LCD screen with an increased colour range, five times the contrast ratio, half the pixel response time to reduce ghosting and blurring effects, and anti-reflective technology to improve outdoor playability
thanks wikipedia.

Raw64life

So what's the situation with being able to download PSP games? Are they eventually going to add every PSP game to the store or just the newer games? Browsing through the PSP lineup, most of the games I'm interested in appear to be remakes (Mega Man Powered Up, Maverick Hunter, Castlevania, Star Ocean I & II, etc.) that came out on PSP at least a year ago and all sold like crap, I'm not very confident that they're going to wind up on the store unless they've already mentioned something about older games. As UMD is clearly a dying format, I'd like to never have to own a UMD if I can help it, should I chose to buy one.

sammy

i whored out and got one last nite as soon as i saw them all in the open at Best Buy. it comes with a voucher for echochrome as well, so that sold me.

The screen is really nice, and yes noticeable - i checked out Loco-Roco and Patapon to see the colors, no ghosting either so i tried out some 60fps games (gorgeous). the blacks look really nice, and colors on menus stand out vibrant. the whole screen looks more rich like a CRT. I donno' what else they could do besides letting us access the highest brightness (looks very nice with the contrast) without plugging the thing in. I haven't tried it out in the sunlight.
Monster Hunter looks fantastic on it, i didn't know they were using so many colors. I can actually see the red hands on a pissed-off tigrex now from any position.

the silver is matte/spray paint like any GBA SP and not the glitter boat-paint speckle ... which i didn't mind so much as the 2000 being too glossy plastic feeling. no fingerprints anymore

everything else seems to be in working order, haven't tried out the mic since i donno' what uses it. and yes, i feel like a slut but no ghosting should've been mandatory on the PSP from day one.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm not going to get one until they have custom firmware running on it. Non-CFW PSP = gimped PSP. Better screen or not, I need those CFW features.

I'm gonna wait 'til next year to see if sony will put in the GPS in the PSP system since most of you Gaffers wanted that feature included.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Azrael said:
I'd like the new screen, but they'll probably be a PSP 4000 next year with a built-in camera and/or internal storage, so I'm going to skip this upgrade. If I hadn't bought the 2000 last year I'd pick it up.

If the PSP-4000 includes a Digital camera that is at least 5 MP and a GPS I would bite and buy another one.

Internal memory.....PSSH. Next year we should be able to buy a 16 gig memory stick for $60.

Top Bottom