• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wiiware Game from Marvelous : "Discipline".

Amir0x

Banned
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.

am i having an acid flashback where am i what was that video

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
332wi7c.jpg

PolyGone

Banned
the controller sleeve thing looks really disgusting, if you look at the details on it. It makes me want to puke. The top part is like a mutant cock and the bottom part looks like a massive green log of shit / some sort of larvae being squeezed out of a blue vaginal opening.

Jesus, this proves that Marvelous has no restrictions when it comes to Wii games! :lol

NMH was a very violent game and is getting a sequel.

Now let's see if MMV actually brings Rainy Woods to the Wii, the only reason they would have to not bring it is because of the difference in hardware, so a port may not be entirely in their budget, but no way it'd be because of the lack of an audience!

These guys are taking chances, making (any?) mistakes, and damn are they getting messy with THIS game! :lol :lol :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Amir0x said:
It's from an episode of South Park.

It's a game called "Heroin Hero", in the episode about Guitar Hero. :p
thanks, I thought it looked familiar :lol

Squeak

Am I really the only one who thinks that looks really really interesting? Very unique style, somewhat being different for the sake of it, but still with some substance faintly visible underneath.

zoukka

PolyGone said:
the controller sleeve thing looks really disgusting, if you look at the details on it. It makes me want to puke. The top part is like a mutant cock and the bottom part looks like a massive green log of shit / some sort of larvae being squeezed out of a blue vaginal opening.

Yes it's pretty fucking awesome isn't it :lol

I can't fucking imagine all the crazy situations that sleeve will spark!

Gamesindustry.biz happened to have an excerpt regarding this game back in February, from an article discussing the relationship between Japanese developers and digital distribution. No intricate details about the gameplay and controls, mind you, but more about the concept itself.

(...)Such results are having an impact in Japan, with a number of developers finding challenges in this relatively new field. One of them is Kazutoshi Iida, who is developing a new IP adventure game called Discipline - Tyouritu Teikoku no Yabou.

Iida-san has been releasing new types of games in new genres ever since Aquanaut's Holiday was released for the original PlayStation in 1995, and the platform for his new title is Wiiware, working with the publisher Marvelous Entertainment. It's a game that will be released in May in Japan, and will follow later in North America and Europe, but for Iida-san the reasons for looking at digital distribution don't just come down to numbers alone.

The game is set in a mixed residence cell in a maximum security prison, run by a private security firm at the request of certain country's government. The player takes the role of one of the prisoners, and the aim of the game is to communicate with other prisoners and get them to confess to you - although you don't know whether the other prisoners are really criminals or not, while the identity of the player's character is also something of a mystery.

Iida-san said the game is influenced by writer Philip K Dick, the movie A Clockwork Orange and the work of director David Cronenberg, with seven development staff scheduled to have spent 10 months in total creating the title. I had the chance to take a look at a preview version of Discipline recently, and I felt that some of the characters on-screen were familiar. One seemed to be the former executive officer of Oum Shinrikyo, a cult religious community which spread Sarin in an underground train in 1995, while another looked like the suspect in last year's indiscriminate knife attacks in Akihabara, both residents of the cell that your character is in.

Iida-san declined to comment on those similarities, but it seems certain that his ideas are taken from real cases: "Crimes are actions of one side of a human being expressed in extreme form. If we want to represent real humans even in games, we should not avoid these themes," he told me.

"Even in the Grand Theft Auto series, the event in the prison is omitted. I'm in conflict as to whether I can deal with it in a game, but you are dealing with it naturally in literature or film. Somebody must develop it so that a game is accepted as culture."

Iida-san told me that he had a plan to develop games in which we can experience events normally hidden from society, for adult gamers who grow weary of Brain Age and its ilk. The target platform was to have been the Nintendo DS, but it's too hard for original titles with difficult content to succeed in the regular package retail market, because there are too many big titles already out there.

Instead, he's decided to look to digital distribution and WiiWare. "I want to deliver the game to the user as soon after completion as possible," he said. "The judgment of difficult content titles should be made by the user directly, not by the retailer. In order to get a judgement, the price had better be low, and in the packaged retail environment these challenges are difficult." (...)
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/japan-digitally-speaking

You may have noticed the mention that the game is supposed to be released this month in Japan, and later in NA/EU. MAybe we will have more on this in the coming days.

Magypsy23

Banned
UPDATE

The game is now called ディシプリン *帝国の誕生 (Discipline - Teikoku no Tanjō). Used to be ディシプリン 調律帝国の誕生 (Discipline Chōritsu Teikoku no Tanjō).
There's also a flash thing that I can't make any sense of because the text doesn't display right. How do I get Japanese characters in swf to work right? :(

The counter shows how much time has elapsed since the game's announcement at TGS08. Maybe it's supposed to release on day 300?

Magypsy23 said:
The game is now called ディシプリン *帝国の誕生 (Discipline - Teikoku no Tanjō). Used to be ディシプリン 調律帝国の誕生 (Discipline Chōritsu Teikoku no Tanjō).
There's also a flash thing that I can't make any sense of because the text doesn't display right. How do I get Japanese characters in swf to work right? :(

Using my horrible translating-with-Google skills, would that translate to something like:

Discipline - Birth of the Empire

??

Haruspex

Banned
Wow it sounds really interesting, the list of influences is impressive enough for a game! I'm really looking forward to this, delving into the underbelly of society, I hope the game resembles the promise of the concept.

Magypsy23 said:
Yes, it would.
I still can't get the swf text to display. :(

Just trying to puzzle out the original title as well - the direct translation I can find seems to be something like "Birth of the Standing Still Empire", but that sounds ridiculous. Given what we know about the game, would that have been something more like:

Birth of the Stagnant Empire, or...

Birth of the Serene Empire

...or am I completely off on that one?

Station42 said:
Doshin has some good idea, but I can't honestly say it was a good game overall...a side from that, this logo is pretty good, reminded me of those structures "laputa" like.

Bit late, but did you mean Doshin the Giant. I have that, on my backlog.

upandaway

Nuclear Muffin said:
The amazing thing is, even after seeing all the new shots and stuff, I still don't have a clue what the game is about :lol
From what I understand you volunteered to be in this jail for whatever sick and disgusting reason and you need to keep your jailmates happy when they're hungry and sleepy or something.

When I saw the screenshots, they reminded me of that DS game that was announced a while back, it was about the holocaust through a jewish child's eyes, and I think it was cancelled for controversy or something like that. The style from what I remember of that game is similar.

pakkit

Banned
upandaway said:
When I saw the screenshots, they reminded me of that DS game that was announced a while back, it was about the holocaust through a jewish child's eyes, and I think it was cancelled for controversy or something like that. The style from what I remember of that game is similar.
Why would you bring Luc Bernard into this conversation?!

Dascu

Good idea of them to use flat 2D images for the characters. Probably costs less to develop and it gives the game a unique look.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
upandaway said:

It wasn't cancelled for controversy, it never existed.

Luc Bernard is a game developer who came up with about 2903742439 game ideas. Of these, one got a PC release and was roundly panned, causing him to announce that he was quitting the video game industry, and one (developed after his hissy fit) got an iPhone release and was decently well received.

In the case of the game you're referring to ("Imagination is the only Escape"), Bernard released the premise and some mock-up shots. People pissed their pants. Journalists contacted Nintendo of America, who confirmed they were not publishing the title and they hadn't approved it for release, which journalists incorrectly figured meant that the game had been blocked from publication.

The reality is that "Imagination is the only Escape" doesn't have a platform. It doesn't have gameplay. It doesn't have a game. It has a rough plot sketch and some five minute art. It can't be cancelled because there's no evidence that it is or ever was in active development. It's not a real game and I'm not sure why anyone thought it was.

Now you know the Luc Bernard story.

Top Bottom