• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SPEA
(10-11-2008, 01:15 AM)
9.0 Presentation
A deep story and incredible atmosphere with tons of horror influences make Dead Space one of those titles that is a great starting point for a franchise.

9.0 Graphics
Visually striking, everything from the holograms to the Necromorphs is incredible. Pixilation during depressurization and mild slowdown crimp its style.

9.5 Sound
Voice acting is delivered beautifully, but it's the sound design that will have you jumping out of your seat and sending shivers down your spine.

8.5 Gameplay
A strong mix of action and exploration is only hampered by repetitive, though appropriate, backtracking and odd navigation issues.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
You'll have to play through the game multiple times to improve your gear and understand the full story. However, not being able to change your difficulty after you beat the game is a bad decision.

Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Written Review: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/918/918892p1.html
Video Review: http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/85040...ev_101108.html
Chromax
(10-11-2008, 01:16 AM)
Nice score! Already preordered. :D
fistfulofmetal
Banned
(10-11-2008, 01:17 AM)
I dunno.... I'm leaning closer to buy rather than rent now.
Jenga
Banned
8.7? I'm there.
vilmer_
EXCELLENT! Can't wait to pick this up next week.
Zeliard
Nice score, just about what I expected. Anyone know if they're releasing a demo pre-release? I'm assuming not since the game is out on thursday.
StuBurns
Banned
(10-11-2008, 01:18 AM)
Score is kind of what I expected, backtracking is heart breaking though.
Can we not get a big gaming census that bans that from now on?
Y2Kev
TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
(10-11-2008, 01:18 AM)
Nice score for the GOTY. Though for some reason I expected a little higher. Don't care, have had paid in full for months.
maxax
(10-11-2008, 01:19 AM)
I still thought this game could go either way really, but with this, my preorder seems justified.
Can't wait. :D
BravoSuperStar
Nice score, I had it figured in the lower 8's at best. Keep forgetting this is THE NEW EA!. :D

Definite buy, day one.
Cruzader
Banned
Nice score. Might get for PS3 down the line.
Redd
Good enough for me. Going to get this game because I love Survival horror games.:D
GavinGT
Banned
I'm glad nobody so far has voiced in with their unreal expectations of this game.
JPBrowncoat
When I realized it was coming out next week I went to buy it and then paused at what version to buy. I searched and found out PS3 has trophies so I flipped a coin. PS3 version preordered! Can't wait to play it.
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?

8.5 Lasting Appeal
You'll have to play through the game multiple times to improve your gear and understand the full story. However, not being able to change your difficulty after you beat the game is a bad decision.

Oh boy...I can see it already. EA will probably charge to unlock a higher difficulty.

Anyway, nice score. Game sounds good. I really want to try this game out but I'm worried it will be too scary for me.
Chromax
(10-11-2008, 01:20 AM)
PS3 version have trophies? Did not expect that...
Mistouze
user-friendly man-cashews

Originally Posted by stuburns

Well done backtracking can be awesome, there's nothing wrong with that. The game is on my radar since it was announced but other gaes will take the preference this winter I think, will get it later down the road.
raYne
:D
GavinGT
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrbob

Oh boy...I can see it already. EA will probably charge to unlock a higher difficulty.

Don't go giving them any ideas.
andymcc
Banned
good score.
StuBurns
Banned
(10-11-2008, 01:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Mistouze

Well done backtracking can be awesome, there's nothing wrong with that. The game is on my radar since it was announced but other gaes will take the preference this winter I think, will get it later down the road.

It's always soul sucking to me.
It probably can be done well, but none have been that I've played yet.
Dr. Kitty Muffins
(10-11-2008, 01:22 AM)
I'm expecting both versions are indentical becuase this is an EA game. Correct?
StuBurns
Banned
(10-11-2008, 01:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Dr. Kitty Muffins

I'm expecting both versions are indentical becuase this is an EA game. Correct?

There were some reports that the PS3 version was a little ruff a couple of weeks ago.
DMczaf
(10-11-2008, 01:23 AM)

I thought this was a junior member post, then I look left and its Mrbob. Close enough!
dk_
(10-11-2008, 01:24 AM)
---> preordered
Revolutionary
(10-11-2008, 01:25 AM)
Day 1.

Trophies are supported too! :D
kuYuri
Day one.
fistfulofmetal
Banned
Blah, doesn't have free overnight shipping like some other games at gamestop.com
I don't wanna go there :\
DrBo42

If we ban this, no more Zelda, Metroid, or Halo games can be made. Come to think of it, that's not really a bad thing. :lol
Draft
(10-11-2008, 01:26 AM)

Anyway, nice score. Game sounds good. I really want to try this game out but I'm worried it will be too scary for me.

If I'm reading this right, it's exactly like Resident Evil 4's new game +. You can't new game + from normal into professional. You have to beat professional once "for real" and now you have a game you can redo while keeping your gear and weapons.
SolidSnakex
(10-11-2008, 01:26 AM)

There were some reports that the PS3 version was a little ruff a couple of weeks ago.

It looked perfectly fine in the Qore video. There could obviously be some differences between them but from that it looked no different from the 360 footage i've seen.
Fizzle
(10-11-2008, 01:27 AM)
Ouch, the tiniest mistake they made cost them that replay value score.

Ah well, one mans opinion.
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed

Not sure where you heard that. PS3 version is on par with the 360...check out the IGN vids; all the September ones are PS3.
StuBurns
Banned

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

It looked perfectly fine in the Qore video. There could obviously be some differences between them but from that it looked no different from the 360 footage i've seen.

That's good to know, I guess it was just old builds, or bullshit.
SpokkX
(10-11-2008, 01:28 AM)
Nice

Would have bought if it was released 2-3 months ago. Now it will have to wait since there are just too many great games coming
Y2Kev
TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Originally Posted by Draft

If I'm reading this right, it's exactly like Resident Evil 4's new game +. You can't new game + from normal into professional. You have to beat professional once "for real" and now you have a game you can redo while keeping your gear and weapons.

The video review makes it clear that this is the case.
AgentOtaku
fuck!

So many great games coming out!

My Wallet! ...it Cries!!!
mauaus
In before no 9.0??
DrBo42
So which version to get is my question now. What's the verdict?
dasupremeone
(10-11-2008, 01:29 AM)
exclusive reviews are always fishy
fistfulofmetal
Banned
(10-11-2008, 01:29 AM)
the fucking wwe game has free shipping?! FUCK YOU GAMESTOP.
purg3
slept with Malkin
(10-11-2008, 01:30 AM)

You'll have to play through the game multiple times to improve your gear and understand the full story.

sounds good, I was a little worried about replay value, but...

However, you'll be locked on the initial difficulty level that you chose when you started the game, and won't have the opportunity to switch. This can make the second playthrough feel a bit skewed because it's quite easy to fly through with an over-augmented Isaac. If you return to the main menu and choose a higher difficulty level (including the unlocked Impossible mode) you lose these upgrades and have to start over, which is rather disappointing.

Very stupid design decision if you ask me. Still can't wait to play it though.
maxax
(10-11-2008, 01:30 AM)

Originally Posted by DrBo42

So which version to get is my question now. What's the verdict?

Flip a coin.
Truespeed
(10-11-2008, 01:31 AM)
In after no 9. Game is a masterpiece visually, auditory and most importantly story. IGN needs to be reprimanded for this atrocity.
ghst
thanks for the laugh
(10-11-2008, 01:31 AM)

Originally Posted by SPEA

9.0 Presentation
A deep story and incredible atmosphere with tons of horror influences make Dead Space one of those titles that is a great starting point for a franchise.

jesus christ, what's wrong with this industry?

i want a fully formed, complete story. fuck pre-emptive sequelitis.
dralla
(10-11-2008, 01:32 AM)
Any notable differences between the 2 versions? don't know which to get. :[
sionyboy
(10-11-2008, 01:33 AM)

However, not being able to change your difficulty after you beat the game is a bad decision.

When I first read that I was under the impression that there was only one difficulty level. After reading the review I understand the complaint a little better (although I don't agree with it).
maxax
(10-11-2008, 01:34 AM)

Originally Posted by ghst

jesus christ, what's wrong with this industry?

i want a fully formed, complete story. fuck pre-emptive sequelitis.

Who said there isn't a complete story in there? There are even additional graphic novels and an animated movie to expand the story of the game.

The possibility of a sequel doesn't mean that the story isn't conclusive, and even if it isn't that's not necesserily bad or speaks for lack of depth.
boco77
Banned
(10-11-2008, 01:34 AM)
Only 8.7?
Wasnt it getting "better than RE4" type reviews in other places?

It will be good but RE5 will walk all over it.
afternoon delight
Eat shit and die, Ricky!
Eat shit and live, Bill.
(10-11-2008, 01:35 AM)

exclusive reviews are always fishy

I have full faith in the game, but after they gave Silent Hill H a 6.7, and GTA the TENTON, I'm waiting for GAF Official thread for impressions.