• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

jax (old)
Banned
(10-19-2008, 04:40 PM)

Autoduel is a 1985 computer role-playing game (CRPG) published by Origin Systems for the Atari 400 and Atari 800 (and other Atari 8-bits with OS "Transformer"), Commodore 64, Apple II series, Mac, and DOS. It was released in 1987 for the Atari ST and in 1988 for the Amiga. It was based on the Steve Jackson Games series Car Wars which also includes the GURPS Autoduel worldbook.

Hmm, according to wikipedia, it is a RPG. Thought it was.

I don't know how gritty full auto was but when I was young, I enjoyed the hell out of autoduel and its gritty car battles in the suburbs. There really was a role playing aspect to AUTO DUEL and its gameplay that's totally amiss in today's market. A lot of the current market driving games are adrenaline fueled race fests (burnout/nfs), driving sims or PGR4/FORZA driving games, and its high time we get a racing duel game done right.

PSone
destruction derby
twisted metal

PS2
Twisted Metal Black

Next Gen
Full Auto 1+2 ?
Twisted Metal Next Gen?

Mejilan
Running off of Custom Firmware
(10-19-2008, 04:48 PM)
LB is too busy making shitting failures and wasting money on flying to outer space, or some shit, to make any actual good games.

Pity.
Haeleos
(10-19-2008, 04:58 PM)
Carmageddon 2!!
Spectral Glider
(10-19-2008, 05:13 PM)
I think it's been said many times, but needs to be said again. The 8bit computer era had a dearth of games and game ideas that I think would flourish with a current gen face lift or sequel: Auto Duel, Mail Order Monsters, Wasteland, PSI-5 Trading Company, Racing Destruction Set are some just off the top of my head. They did a great job with Pirates just as one example and there should be more.

By the way, remember SSI's Road War 2000? I never played it, but I certainly remember magazine ads it for back in the day.
speculawyer
Banned
(10-19-2008, 05:16 PM)
Where the fuck is Twisted Metal?
speedpop
Has problems recognising girls
(10-19-2008, 05:17 PM)
God that movie poster looks incredibly stupid.
Gilgamesh
(10-19-2008, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by speedpop

God that movie poster looks incredibly stupid.

Original is better. Movie and poster.

ram
(10-19-2008, 05:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Haeleos

Carmageddon 2!!

i thought we were wishing for GOOD car combat games here. i would like to see a new interstate 76 game - man, THAT was awesome. yeah, i know, interstate game werent gritty and all, but made more sense than games like twisted metal and co.
wayward archer
(10-19-2008, 05:30 PM)
I'd like to see a next gen Interstate 76. My ideal game needs tons of players, maybe 32-64 players, full customization, co-pilot/gunner positions, different scenarios (destroy/protect the fuel tanker ala Road Warrior, race, etc), realistic physics.
Metal Gear?!
(10-19-2008, 05:34 PM)
DIPRIP is pretty good for a free HL2 mod on the PC

But yeah all someone needs to do is take Flatout UC and add guns
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(10-19-2008, 05:43 PM)
Because the next generation of consoles hasn't been announced yet.
SovanJedi
provides useful feedback
(10-19-2008, 05:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Andrex

You know, I'd give up if I were you. There isn't anything that's going to stop people from calling these consoles "Next Gen" until the ACTUAL next generation of consoles is out.
Ganondorfo
(10-19-2008, 05:50 PM)
That girl is hot in that movie, and there is a game like death race it's called twisted metal black.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(10-19-2008, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by SovanJedi

You know, I'd give up if I were you. There isn't anything that's going to stop people from calling these consoles "Next Gen" until the ACTUAL next generation of consoles is out.

Never! I will fight this fight until it is won!
Danne-Danger
(10-19-2008, 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Ganondorfo

That girl is hot in that movie, and there is a game like death race it's called Carmageddon.

Fixed, goddamnit.
speculawyer
Banned
(10-19-2008, 06:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Danne-Danger

Fixed, goddamnit.

Battlewheels!
Count Dookkake
(10-19-2008, 07:13 PM)
That's a good poster for the remake. Much better than the ones I had seen.
Septimus
(10-19-2008, 07:18 PM)
Twisted Metal PS3 is coming out next year, right? Damn I cant wait... I remember plugging countless hours into TM2 on PS1.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(10-19-2008, 07:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh

Original is better. Movie and poster.

YES.
ghst
thanks for the laugh
(10-19-2008, 08:22 PM)
anyone tried the DIPRIP (lololol name) source mod? it's free and up on steam now.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(10-19-2008, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by ghst

anyone tried the DIPRIP (lololol name) source mod? it's free and up on steam now.

Not seeing it...where?
Haunted
(10-19-2008, 08:37 PM)
The Flatout series (1/2/UC) has good Destruction Derby style events, with powerups and all.

Also, Speed Racer and even Mario Kart (and its assortment of copycats battle kart racers). Or are those not gritty enough for you? :D

Originally Posted by Andrex

Keep fighting the good fight, I'm with you.

As others have mentioned, pretty much the only game that's been announced for current-gen (PS3) has been Twisted Metal. And it looks like the driving portions of RAGE, announced for current-gen consoles (PS360 - and the PC) will have a battle element to them as well.
Last edited by Haunted; 10-19-2008 at 08:43 PM.
ghst
thanks for the laugh
(10-19-2008, 08:43 PM)

Originally Posted by INDIGO_CYCLOPS

Not seeing it...where?

eh, i just typed diprip into the store search and it came up.
Huggy
(10-19-2008, 08:46 PM)
I believe the arcade version of the original got banned from arcades.

The movie was pretty bad though.
Especially the part where "Frankenstein" is said to be wearing a mask because he's so horribly disfigured, and when he takes it off in dramatic scene it's just plain old Carradine with no make-up or any special effect whatsoever.
Danne-Danger
(10-19-2008, 08:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Huggy

The movie was pretty bad though.
Especially the part where "Frankenstein" is said to be wearing a mask because he's so horribly disfigured, and when he takes it off in dramatic scene it's just plain old Carradine with no make-up or any special effect whatsoever.

Shortcut ->

So awesome.
DDayton
(more a nerd than a geek)
(10-20-2008, 07:57 AM)
You know, Autoduel is one of those games I've always meant to play, but never found a copy of. I knew of it ages ago, when my Atari computer wasn't ENTIRELY out of date -- it was a 1 year old Atari XE Game System!
RadioHeadAche
(10-20-2008, 08:00 AM)

Originally Posted by speedpop

God that movie looks incredibly stupid.

Fixed.
neorej
ERMYGERD!
(10-20-2008, 08:40 AM)
Wasn't Carmageddon loosely based on DR2000? Hasn't Midway run out out of excuses now to not make a new Carmageddon?
jax (old)
Banned
(10-20-2008, 09:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Count Dookkake

That's a good poster for the remake. Much better than the ones I had seen.

definitely check out the remake (movie). its OTT and very fun viewing. Statham is kickass in it. More fun to me than CRANK.

the key thinking missing in all the listed car carnage titles is a role playing aspect. I think it'll add a certain factor missing from all these games at the moment. Twisted Metal is neat but without a focus on one central character (you), its more akin to a fighting game with cars. The car combat is spot on though.

PERSISTENT WORLD + CAR COMBAT + RPG ELEMENTS = AWESOMENESS!
Vorador
Banned
(10-20-2008, 09:53 AM)
Wasn't there a VERY old PC game (like 96-97 old) that wasn't Carmageddon and let you run around on a car or by foot blowing up stuff in "arenas" and picking up items and the like?

PD: It wasn't Death Rally. Environments were 3D.
Graphics Horse
graphics horse
graphics horse
does whatever a
graphics horse does
(10-20-2008, 10:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Haeleos

Carmageddon 2!!

They already made 3 of them!

Originally Posted by neorej

Wasn't Carmageddon loosely based on DR2000?

Carmageddon 3 was even called Carmageddon TDR 2000.
Joseph Merrick
#2 Tingle Fan
(right after Beezy)
(10-20-2008, 11:08 AM)

Originally Posted by neorej

Wasn't Carmageddon loosely based on DR2000? Hasn't Midway run out out of excuses now to not make a new Carmageddon?

Carmageddon is SCi

Originally Posted by Danne-Danger

Fixed, goddamnit.

GOD DAMNIT

Death Track Resurrection english version is coming out soon. It's not very good, but at least it's better than these shitty console franchises listed.
alba
Little is the new Big
(10-20-2008, 12:41 PM)
I want a new carmageddon :(
i hate bees
(10-20-2008, 12:46 PM)
Modders are all over this it seems, Crysis Deathrace
Haunted
(10-20-2008, 12:58 PM)

Originally Posted by i hate bees

Cryengine 2 :bow :bow
jax (old)
Banned
(10-20-2008, 01:38 PM)

Originally Posted by i hate bees

it had no terrain/veg..etc but you know what, the incar view seemed to look just right (as did the racing). The shooting/gunplay also seemed spot on. wow. I was kind of impressed.

Too bad statham's not big enough a name for the filmmakers to rally behind and release a licensed title/game.
FnordChan
FnordChan
(10-20-2008, 05:00 PM)

To heck with a next-gen Autoduel, I want a next-gen Death Race. They can make it a special 32nd anniversary edition or something.

FrankenChan
Count Dookkake
(10-20-2008, 05:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Jax

definitely check out the remake (movie). its OTT and very fun viewing. Statham is kickass in it. More fun to me than CRANK.

I did. I'm one of the few Paul Anderson fans out there. Not as "good" as the original, but fun in its own way.