• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie XBLA Official Thread (preorder codes are working!)

Costanza

Banned
21bqa69.jpg

Banjo Kazooie

Price: 1200 MS pts, or free if you preorder BK: N&B at Gamestop or Amazon
Release Date: Nov 10th for people who preordered N&B, Nov 26th for everyone else

What is Banjo Kazooie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo_kazooie

Banjo-Kazooie is a platform and action-adventure hybrid video game developed by Rare and published by Nintendo in 1998 for the Nintendo 64. The game is the inaugural release in the Banjo-Kazooie series. The game's story focuses on a bear named Banjo and a bird named Kazooie as they set out on a quest to rescue Banjo's sister, Tooty, who has been kidnapped by the evil witch Gruntilda.

Gameplay:

Banjo-Kazooie adopted many of its central game play mechanics from Nintendo's groundbreaking title Super Mario 64. For instance, the player must similarly explore non-linear 3D worlds and gather tokens in the form of jigsaws (like Super Mario 64's stars) to unlock new worlds. However, Banjo-Kazooie is often considered an evolution of Super Mario 64 as it introduced a number of innovative features. These included the ability for Banjo and Kazooie, with the aid of Mumbo's magical powers, to transform into other creatures such as a termite, crocodile, walrus, pumpkin, and bee; the ability for the characters to learn new moves (as taught by Bottles); the game's extensive use of textures for surfaces where other N64 games would have used plain colors, extensive lighting, and music that dynamically changes style in order to reflect the environment and dangers to the characters. The Banjo-Kazooie central theme music, heard in the main play area, changed to reflect the environment entrance (levels) the player was near, such as taking on music box instrumental-style play near the ice level entrance. The music's notes and play never changed though, producing a seamless integration into the new instruments without stopping the forever-looping song.

Like Super Mario 64 before it, the player proceeds through the game by finding tokens. There are three kinds of tokens that help the player progress through the game, namely jigsaw pieces, musical notes, and Mumbo's tokens. Jigsaw pieces open doors to new worlds by collecting enough to complete the corresponding jigsaw puzzle. There are ten Jiggies (as they are sometimes called) in each world: nine must be sought and found, and one is granted by finding all five Jinjos on each world. (Unlike Super Mario 64's stars, though, the player doesn't have to exit the world every time he collects a Jiggy.) Musical notes open magic note doors that allow Banjo and Kazooie to progress further into Gruntilda's lair. There are 100 notes in each world, and 900 total in the game. Mumbo's tokens grant the player magical transformations at Mumbo's hut when the player collects a sufficient amount. These transformations include termite, crocodile, walrus, pumpkin and bee.

Besides these primary tokens, players may also collect items which are used in performing certain moves. Bottles the Mole must teach Banjo and Kazooie the move before the item can be utilized. Items include blue eggs, red feathers, and gold feathers, which can be held in quantities up to 100, 50 and 10, respectively. Blue eggs are fired as projectiles or ejected from Kazooie's rear, and bounce slowly until they either hit an enemy, or break on their own; red feathers are utilized in flight and flying attacks; and gold feathers are for the most powerful attack, Wonderwing, which uses Kazooie's wings to make her and Banjo invincible and can kill almost any enemy, or at least protect the bear and bird. Furthermore, rarer temporary items can be found which have specialized use in puzzle-solving, namely wading boots, which enable the crossing of hazardous terrain, and turbo trainers, which grant extra running speed, often as part of a race or a time-based puzzle. Finally, there are power-ups such as extra lives, which look like golden Banjo statues and grant one extra life each, and honeycomb energy, which incrementally increases the player's health and can be found in each level. Collecting six hollow honeycomb pieces (called extra honeycomb pieces) gives the player a permanent increase of one honeycomb of health.

What's different from the N64 version?
http://mundorare.com/games/banjo-kazooie-xbla
BK XBLA comes with very minor differences to the original N64 version besides the aspects mentioned earlier. The most important difference being the loss of Nintendo logos and replacement of Microsoft logos; the beginning of the game has the Rare logo circa 2003, with Mumbo’s xylophone in the opening video having “Microsoft Game Studios” instead of Nintendo’s original logo. The Game Boy from the third file is still intact. The icons of various characters look to be changed, as well as the font and Banjo and Kazooie’s own life meter; they look stretched in comparison to the originals.

Reviews:

IGN: 8.0

Screenshots:

ss-banjo-kazooie-xbla-020.jpg

ss-banjo-kazooie-xbla-009.jpg

ss-banjo-kazooie-xbla-007.jpg

more at http://www.mundorare.com/games/banjo-kazooie-xbla/screenshots

Achievements:

Get Jiggy 10
It doesn't matter which two, just successfully collect any two Jiggies.

Mumbo Jumbo 10
Get yourself transformed by Mumbo Jumbo for the first time. Now that's magic!

Knock out Nipper 15
Come out on top in a dust-up with Nipper the crab. Watch out, he's called Nipper for a reason.

Free Clanker 15
Liberate Clanker, Gruntilda's rusty and recalcitrant garbage grinder.

Chomp Chomp! 15
They're red and no less than 30 of them need chomping. Nuff said.

Move Master 15
Discover and master all Banjo's moves… and Kazooie's… but nobody else's. Unless you insist.

Show me the honey! 15
Collect all 24 of the extra honeycomb pieces. Yes! Every single one! It's character-building.

The Quiz Master 20
Complete Grunty's Furnace Fun quiz show and win the Star Prize. Been paying attention?

Jinjonatored 20
Fear the Jinjonator. If you're a witch, that is. The Jinjonator lays the smack down on witches.

Jigsaw Maker 20
Bet you thought jigsaws were boring! Bottles disagrees, and has seven of them to be solved.

Cheating Cheato 20
Bump into Grunty's disowned spellbook three times as it hops around the place dishing out cheats.

Music Maestro 25
There are 900 musical notes out there in the world of Banjo-Kazooie. Real gamers collect them all...

FrankT

Should have my DL code on Wednesday. Looking forward to it as this will be the first time I've ever played it.

Metalic Sand said:
Amazon needs to hurry up. Im literally dieing here to play this.

N&B should tie me over for a while if amazon takes 5 days to send the codes like their site says.

Curse the slowness of online ordering.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Bah.... 26nov, why cant they just put it up for everyone at once, since other people will have to pay for it.

Guess i'll have to plug my N64 again and play it the old way :lol

Banjo, FUCK YEAH!

Firestorm

Trying. To. Write. Paper.
SFHDJKLSFADF
*turns on 360*

Jazzy Network said:
DLing mine now. Foo Fighters pack and now this. Tomorrow might be skipping class day :(
Don't you guys have some sort of equivalent of Remembrance Day?

gwiz210

Downloaded :D The draw distance, 16:9, and the fact its Banjo-Freakin'-Kazooie is awesome.
While playing around in Treasure Trove Cove I unlocked a GamerPic.

On a semi-related note my brother, who is playing the game, just yelled from the other room "People say Donkey Kong 64 has too much collecting. I say they're going to have to collect my foot out of their ass after I'm done with them."

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
alr1ghtstart said:
$15 for an N64 port (I don't care for N&B)? Really? Braid really fucked shit up.

Umm its not a straight port. Its enhanced in many ways (Textures, Draw distance, Frame Rate, Stop N Swap, Acheivements.)

Firestorm

alr1ghtstart said:
$15 for an N64 port (I don't care for N&B)? Really? Braid really fucked shit up.
Braid was not the first $15 game. Seriously. Why do people think that? All the games I'm interested in on XBLA at the moment are $15 and they all look worth $15. Castle Crashers (for offline play), Braid, and Penny Arcade Episode 2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Costanza said:
Just finished collecting all the stuff on Mumbo's Mountain. This game really holds up well.
The music is incredible technically. I love how they layer in new versions of the main theme depending on location. Not even the new game has it...at least not in the demo. The MIDI was higher quality that Wii Music.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I love this game so much, and it's great to be able to play it on my 360 with improved graphics and all. It just might be my favorite game of all time, but that's a tough call :D

I pre-ordered Nuts & Bolts, played the demo, and canceled my pre-order. Never got my code. Will probably pay 1200 points for Banjo on XBLA though. By the 26th my excitement from Gears 2 and Left 4 Dead will probably subside a TINY bit so I can fit some Banjo-Kazooie in. We'll see.

Nemesis_

So, has ANYONE IN AUSTRALIA GOT THEIR HANDS ON THE CARDS YET?!?!?! EBGames are advertising for the codes but they've not got their stock. I really want this now.

Rlan

I called up my EB when I heard the codes worked. They haven't recieved them yet, but did tell me they will call when they get them so we can play the game earlier. We don't have to wait until the release.

This is in Adelaide BTW, so eastern states might get them quicker.

Y2Kev said:
The music is incredible technically. I love how they layer in new versions of the main theme depending on location. Not even the new game has it...at least not in the demo. The MIDI was higher quality that Wii Music.
I think Nuts and Bolts does it in the full version -- at least that's how it sounded in Blimblim's preview videos.

watkinzez

Y2Kev said:

It does. People have been ripping variations of Showdown Town.

okno

If I were to, say, pre-order Nuts and Bolts tomorrow, I probably wouldn't get a code, would I? Or would I?

okno said:
If I were to, say, pre-order Nuts and Bolts tomorrow, I probably wouldn't get a code, would I? Or would I?

Possibly. I just preordered tonight and they said i'll be able to pick it up with Nuts and Bolts on Wednesday.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I just completed everything on Mumbo's Mountain and I'm heading off to bed.
Game is perfect - controls feel good on the 360 pad, graphics are nicely improved, but most importantly, it's Banjo-Fucking-Kazooie! I love this game =)

Amazon said:
Order your copy of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and receive a code to download the original Banjo-Kazooie game from Xbox Live. Codes will be emailed within 5 business days after the game releases.
I don't think we'll get it from Amazon soon.

Firestorm

1cesc said:
Anyone from Canada get this from their EB Games yet?
I got mine from Toys R Us a while ago, but my friend who pre-ordered at a different Toys R Us still doesn't have his. I'd say give them a call either way.

Costanza

Banned
JPBrowncoat said:
I don't think we'll get it from Amazon soon.
Yeah that 5 days after shit was why I canceled my Amazon order and preordered from GS last week. Not worth saving 3 dollars.

PARANO1A

Rlan said:
I called up my EB when I heard the codes worked. They haven't recieved them yet, but did tell me they will call when they get them so we can play the game earlier. We don't have to wait until the release.

This is in Adelaide BTW, so eastern states might get them quicker.
You're in Adelaide? Poor sod :lol I don't trust my local EB to call me on this. Please share if you Aussies get yours.

I'm not gonna die if I wait a bit for the code. The Fable II code from Amazon was fast, thought this might be.

Honestly, I've got so many games right now I can't play half of them.

Log4Girlz

I know its pointless but it would have been nice to remake the original with the new Nuts and Bolts graphics engine. Just saying.

Marvie_3

Banned
It's pretty much my first time playing a lot of Banjo. I played about 10 minutes of it on the N64 so I never got into it. It's pretty good so far...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Metalic Sand said:
Umm its not a straight port. Its enhanced in many ways (Textures, Draw distance, Frame Rate, Stop N Swap, Acheivements.)
The textures are not upgraded at all. They look just like they did in emulation, except for the Nintendo logos. You forgot to mention the redone overlays, though. (text, HUD)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
TAJ said:
The textures are not upgraded at all. They look just like they did in emulation, except for the Nintendo logos. You forgot to mention the redone overlays, though. (text, HUD)

I was reading that they redid a few textures, I guess i heard wrong unless someone can find the interview where they mentioned redoing some ground textures.

Top Bottom