• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Giana Sisters Remake Coming to DS (PR, Screens)

bryehn

Yup, retail even. Wow.

Retro fun from the 80's: The Great Giana Sisters return – Jump'n'Run debut on Nintendo DSTM

Hamburg, December 09th, 2008 – It was a little bit more than 20 years ago when a game was born that still is a synonym for a whole gaming genre: The Great Giana Sisters made Jump’n’Run gaming available for home computer users all over the world. In 2009, the blondes finally return – and with that, they make it all the way to Nintendo DS for the first time.

Back in the late 1980’s, there was literally no chance to play Jump’n’Run games on home computers like Commodore 64, Amiga or Atari ST. Until 1987, when a small German development team released The Great Giana Sisters.

Their father, Armin Gessert, let them become stars of the genre over night. The Great Giana Sisters was a Jump’n’Run that had everything home computer gamers back then only could experience on video game consoles: A fantastic game world on many different levels, that challenged the players’ hand eye coordination skills to their maximum to jump over deep canyons, collect bonuses and succeed when fighting enemies just by jumping on their back.

Now, The Great Giana Sisters are finally back! Publisher dtp entertainment and developer Spellbound Entertainment in co-operation with Bitfield are going to release their new adventure on Nintendo DS in June 2009.

In more than 80 levels, players experience all the great features of the original home computer version, as well as new features, that are kept exclusive for Nintendo DS. Players will have the Nintendo DS microphone as well as the touchpad, for instance.

The Great Giana Sisters’ graphics on Nintendo DS both is a redesign as well as reminiscent of the classic game.

The music score of the game is a remix by Fabian del Priore of the original soundtrack, written by famous computer game composer Chris Hülsbeck.

dtp entertainment is going to release The Great Giana Sisters DS for Nintendo DS in June 2009.

30rmjo3.jpg

24gm2ra.jpg

33y2fdu.jpg

5ewutt.jpg

nofi

bryehn said:
The music score of the game is a remix by Fabian del Priore of the original soundtrack, written by famous computer game composer Chris Hülsbeck.

Dammit, the soundtrack was the best thing about the original, don't 'remix' anything!

Vorador

Banned
lol

Something tells me the industry is running out of ideas when a remake of a clone of SMB is in the works.

CTLance

:-O Blast from the past!

Cool beans. On my watchlist. I hope they don't fuck this up.

Turrican next, please.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Vorador said:
lol

Something tells me the industry is running out of ideas when a remake of a clone of SMB is in the works.

We ran out of ideas a long time ago.

CTLance

Oh yeah, a "classic" mode akin to the upcoming Wii port of Cave Story would be very much appreciated. Rapture and the rest of the team may be up to the task, but I still would like to drown in nostalgia from time to time...

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I personally like GGS more than SMB1. Maybe because of nostalgia. The original was as close to a reskin as it could get, especially the first couple of levels - which were more or less the same as the levels in SMB1. But this looks pretty different from any SMB to me. This will probably be allowed to live, but the original was taken off the shelves and stopped being sold.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Haunted said:
dude! I totally wanted to post that.

200801samberg.jpg

Also, Katakis please.

Believe it or not, I wanted to post it as well. :lol But we'll have to settle for T2002 and Turrican on cellphones until Factor 5 and THQ can work out a deal on the Turrican IP.

CTLance

So... what's gonna happen with Giana's return?
If we really want to be “independent” we probably must drop the name “Giana’s Return” to be free from outside influences. As the material is all ours, beside the used trademark, we will decide within the team how to go on.

Conflicting... feelings... assaulting... brain... augh...

CTLance

Talamius said:
The only acceptable name for this is New Great Giana Sisters. Make it happen.
:lol True dat.
I hope they're able to sneak in some easter eggs / non-obvious references that allude to the whole situation. Would be awesome.

Apenheul

Wow, I never expected seeing the Gaina Sisters again, on the DS no less. That's great, if Nintendo won't give is New Super Mario Bros. 2 then this'll have to do.

CTLance

Kipz said:
The music was so fucking annoying.
I hope you aren't talking about the Great Giana Sisters OST. Please tell me you're not talking about that. PLEASE. I don't want to murder someone yet. They'll rape the flip outta me in prison.

Revisionist bullshit. Stuff like Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall II were all great world-exploring "jump and run" games along with a slew of others, and they were way before Giana Sisters. Equating smooth scrolling with bringing 'jump and run' to computers is silly. Until Super Mario Bros, the 8-bit home computers had better platforming than consoles (aforementioned games plus stuff like Jumpman, Hard Hat Mack, Bounty Bob, and so on).

stuminus3

This really amuses me. It's so ironic my head is spinning. :lol

I actually hated Nintendo in my younger years back in the 1980's because of the controversy over this game (didn't really register in my mind that Donkey Kong, one of my first "favorite games", was a Nintendo game). Being from the UK I was of course all over the home computer scene back then; the NES didn't have much of an impact over there at the time so I was just pissed that some company was trying to stop me from playing a game that looked cool.

Of course, then the Game Boy became a huge hit... Tetris, Super Mario Land and Solar Striker changed my opinion on that. Then of course many, many years later I actually played Giana Sisters and realised exactly how close to the bone they were with it...

How times have changed. I guess Nintendo don't care any more, now that the likes of Wii Fit and Nintendogs are their main breadwinners.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Revisionist bullshit. Stuff like Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall II were all great world-exploring "jump and run" games along with a slew of others, and they were way before Giana Sisters. Equating smooth scrolling with bringing 'jump and run' to computers is silly. Until Super Mario Bros, the 8-bit home computers had better platforming than consoles (aforementioned games plus stuff like Jumpman, Hard Hat Mack, Bounty Bob, and so on).
Probably agree although Super Mario Bros was such a revolution it becomes the demarcation line for popular culture.

Azure J

The lack of "cloudbush, real bush" comments in this thread makes me wonder about GAF now. :lol

Also, do want. Platformers are sex.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
CTLance said:
I hope you aren't talking about the Great Giana Sisters OST. Please tell me you're not talking about that. PLEASE. I don't want to murder someone yet. They'll rape the flip outta me in prison.

Don't worry, I'll give you an alibi.

Bojangles

Gianna sisters is an example of my c64 fanboism paying off. I was so hot for it because I was jealous of my one friend with SMB for NES.

For nostalgia sake (and a c64 appreciate hidden agenda), here are some other ports/clones that I was extremely hyped for

double_dragon_02.gif
Ok, that didn't turn out so hot.

I did however have a lot of fun with Street Fighter:
street_fighter_(usa)_03.gif

Also, i still have wet dreams about this joystick:
joy002.jpg

ghibli99

Sorry... you guys know I love the oldschool stuff, but those screens look like crap. Colors are OK, but the artwork is horrible. I used to create better art w/ my mouse in DeluxePaint IIE... I'll hold off until I can see it in motion, though. I thought the same thing of NSMB at first.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm confused. Didn't Nintendo sue them? And now they're manufacturing the DS cart for them?

stuminus3

Looks much better in motion than in screens, the animation is pretty nice.

Still exactly like Super Mario Bros. though. :lol

Top Bottom